Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

not such a bad place after all [Rhi]

Started by Tally, September 06, 2007, 11:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

"Many things," Haven said.  "Malefic intent, violence—these things leave behind residues.  I am not the best at tracing them.  I am more naturally an elementalist.  But taking a life is a bold action and its remnants will be strong."

Rhindeer

"Interesting," Hazel said, keeping his voice light and not dripping with the displeasure he felt. "That's really fascinating. I'll admit, I don't really know much about this sort of things. Guess I should, considering where I live, but, you know...not my business! Poking your nose into peoples' business here is a good way to lose that nose. And the head it's attached to."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

"I'm sure," Haven said.  Gods above, why did everyone think him to be this wide-eyed child who'd never set foot into the real world before?  He'd lay real coin that he'd traveled farther and wider than most people in this town.  Possibly including Hazel himself.

"Death doesn't intimidate me."

Rhindeer

"Really?" Hazel said, raising his eyebrows. "It intimidates me. I think a fear of death is rather healthy, actually."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

Haven had to smile at that.  "Oh, I'm plenty afraid of it.  I just don't let it intimidate me away from doing what I know I must."

Rhindeer

"Mm, fair point," Hazel said with a smile. "You and I are similar there, then! I think that's the only way to live, don't you? Otherwise we'd never get anything done."

They were nearing the inn now, and Hazel cut a look at Haven, as though considering something. The man was proving rather more dangerous than he'd assumed. True, in a place like Zantaric, a little something like the murder of a random woman was no big deal, and there were known criminals, murderers, and mercenaries a-plenty here, but that was not the point. Hazel had not built up this identity just to have it all blown away by some blind mage.

"This magic of yours, this...reading of energies," he began, "Can you trace it to people or things? If there's been foul play, I'd very much like to know who--or what--the culprit is."

Tally

"It can, and that is my goal, yes.  Whether I am capable of it, we'll have to see."  As he'd said, he was not the best at this.  His strength lay in the control of the elements and even in that he worked more naturally with large forces rather than small ones.  The reading and tracing of malefic residues required considerable more subtlety than he usually worked with.  Even in healing, he tended to overwhelm infection and virulence with sheer force more often than not.

Haven moved his hand up Hazel's arm to squeeze his shoulder.  "Will you be all right?  Someone killed her right there where you live."

Rhindeer

Hazel drew in a breath and let himself relax under Haven's touch. "I think I'll be okay," he said with a light smile. "I know I don't look it, but I'm made of tougher stuff than--oh. I'm sorry, that was insensitive, considering--well, you know what I mean. Anyway, you don't live here without developing a certain kind of resilience, though..."

He shrugged uncomfortably. "It is kind of different, when it takes place where you live, where you sleep." He barked a nervous laugh. "I'm not saying I won't be sleeping a little more lightly for the next few days!"

Tally

"I don't know what I can do to make it easier, but let me know?"  He'd spent a decent amount of time allowing the grieving to cry on his shoulder, but considerably less counseling those left in the wake of a murder and never in a place like Zantaric, where words like justice carried little meaning.

"Will you take me first to the place she died?"

Rhindeer

Hazel smiled and gave Haven's arm a light squeeze. "Thank you," he said, letting go. "I'll be sure to let you know. Though, like I said, I'm sure I'll be okay! I've seen worse, sadly. Anyway, if you're ready, then sure. As far as anyone can tell, she died in that bed where they found her. This way."

Taking Haven's arm again, he turned him in the right direction as he began to guide him back to the inn.

Tally

Once back at the inn, Haven sat himself down near the bed where the woman had died and began his work.  He assured Hazel he would be fine alone—this whole thing would involve a dreadful lot of sitting still and occasionally speaking in Old Serenian and reading warmth and hearing sounds imperceptible to anyone but him.  Twice during the ordeal, supplicants arrived seeking healing and he had to stop to help.  All in all, he spent nigh on four hours at it, trying to glean anything he could.

When at last he emerged, he had no answers but did have an idea that might lead to some.  He caught the attention of a passing scullery maid.  "Could you send Hazel to me?  If he's not terribly busy."

He might have asked anyone for the things he needed, but he and Hazel had spent some time together already, enough to put Hazel at the front of his mind now that he needed help.  And who's to say their acquaintance wouldn't grow into friendship in time?

Rhindeer

Hazel wasn't terribly busy. It was a slow day--which surely had nothing to do with the recent murder!--and so he had spent it in the kitchen, preparing the night's meal and cleaning up. The door still hadn't been fixed, and his sugar supply was still low, but he tried not to think about either because it just left him feeling bitter.

He had just finished cleaning up and was left feeling idle as the pottage cooked when a scullery maid bustled over to him.

"That one blind guy asked for ya," she told him with a shrug to convey she didn't know why--she wasn't paid to ask--and Hazel couldn't help but smile. Had he, now? "He's in the murder room."

Murder room? Hazel bit back a laugh.

"Watch for customers, will you?" he told her as he headed for the stairs. "Holler if anyone needs anything."

Upstairs, he stood outside the "murder room" and knocked once on the door before cracking it open. "You called?"

Tally

Haven was pacing when Hazel arrived.

"Yes!  I happened upon something that might work.  Do you have a sheet you can spare?  Or a board?  Something flat and thin, about..."

He held his hands up, somewhere around a foot apart.  "...about this big?"

Rhindeer

Hazel let himself in the rest of the way while Haven rattled off, and shut the door behind him.

"That depends," he said with a small smile, "on what you're going to do with said sheet. The innkeeper'd have my hide if damage came to his linens!"

Tally

"Oh, uh...yes.  Yes, actually whatever it is would be ruined afterward.  I do have coin enough to pay for one sheet I'm sure."

Rhindeer

Now Hazel's curiosity was utterly piqued, as if it wasn't before!

"What are you doing, anyway?"

Tally

Haven took a breath to launch into an explanation, but he caught himself just in time.  Best to keep it brief for Hazel's sake.  No one but another mage wanted to hear an hour long rumination on magical technique.

"It's a form of sympathetic magic.  I can't read the energies here--some form of glamour, perhaps.  It defies mortal ken.  But I can use sympathy to translate any knowable elements into a form we can understand them--"

None of which was a helpful explanation, he realized.  He tried again.  "Aha, sorry.  I'm going to burn a shape into the sheet, or the wood.  The shape might tell us what happened here."

Rhindeer

...No.

Hazel frowned, brow furrowing. "I'm afraid we don't have enough sheets to spare for such a thing," he said, scratching at his chin. "Our funds are limited right now, and--" His voice took on a sour edge, his jaw tightening. "--now we need a new door on top of that."

Tally

Haven offered up a reassuring smile.  A little pang of guilt hit him at Hazel's refusal.  The man had been so accommodating, so ready to help at a moment's notice, and here Haven was asking for more.

"That's all right," he said.  He headed for the door, weaving around Hazel as he went.

He paused and his hand found Hazel's shoulder and gave it a friendly squeeze.  "You've done too much for me already, anyway.  I'll go out and buy something I can use."

Likely he wouldn't have to go more than twenty feet from the inn before finding something suitable.  A good thing, too.  Night was descending on them, and Haven's body felt like an empty husk for want of sleep.  His steps dragged, his shoulders slumped.  He would have to rest soon or he'd be no help to anyone.

Rhindeer

"I wouldn't go back out there, if I were you," Hazel said, reaching out quickly and taking Haven by the arm. Gently, but firmly enough to stop him.

"If you want to go back out, wait until the morning. I know you can't see it, but it's actually getting dark now--and that's a bad time to be about."