Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Run as what is hated [Shizzy!]

Started by Anonymous, February 14, 2010, 01:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"Shit, Shit, Shit, SHIT!" The man cursed. Why did this have to be like this? Why did everything had to go wrong now? Why now? Why not . . . never? How could they have possibly thought that he, of all people, was a magic user? Were they daft? Shaking all the questions from his head, the man hurried down the cobbled streets of Reajh, Connlaoth. The rain was coming down harder now, and his uniform was soaked. Damn the rain, damn everyone, damn those magic users. He shook his head after the last thought. It wasn't their fault that he was charged with using magic. Magic itself wasn't bad, but no one seemed to understand that.

He cursed the rain more than anything. Splashing water as he ran, his gaze fell to his side. His sword had broken, the sword that he had spent years saving up for, the only sword that he really wanted to use. It was gone, broken. He sighed. He would just have to get someone to make him a new sword. In the distance, he noticed guards, damn them. He dodged sideways into an alleyway and waited for them to pass. They did, but a strange feeling, a hunch was bugging him. He headed deeper into the alleyway, all the while keeping his eyes watching the entrance. Then a guard appeared. Shit. He began to run again. This was not going well.

The rain was light now, not as hard as before. His clothes, while soaked, were not as bad as before. For it was no longer dripping. His chest was heaving now, and he was breathing hard. He had been running, and dodging guards all day now. He could tell it was early evening. Hiding and running for over seven or so hours. This couldn't go on for much longer, he was tiring. Then he noticed the a workshop that made weapons. This could be useful. There was an inn not far away either. This could be his only chance to get another weapon besides his twin pistols.  Paedin Raens slipped in to see a beautiful woman with her back turned to him, doing something that he could not make out. "Erm . . . escuse me, Miss, I apologize for just coming it, but the rain was soaking me." He paused. "Ah, my name is Maor Raens, and I need a new sword, could that be possible?"

Anonymous

Bang. Clank. Clank. Clank. Hisssssssssss.

These were some of the more typical noises that you would hear coming from a particular smithy in Reajh. Well, really, any smithy in Reajh would usually have these noises coming from them, unless the smithy was closed or out of business, then it probably wasn't likely that you would hear those noises. However, this was a smithy that was very much open, and very much in business. When your family for generation after generation worked with the military, you tended to stay open. You tended to pretty much live your life for the government then, protecting them by making quality weapons. Shoddy weaponry or armour never left the smithy, that was a guarantee that was always given. When the big orders came in, the smithy would be filled with multiple armour and weapon smiths, pounding away at an anvil, watching over a forge, or sitting at a sharpening wheel.

However, today was not one of those busy days.

It was a simple day, filled with simple orders, which were always nice actually. There wasn't a lot of stress, and there wasn't a lot of hard work. At least not usually...this was a particularly tricky job to do. Some commanding officer or high ranking member of the military had gone and busted his pistol grip to hell. Judging by the chunks of blood, someone had been on the receiving end of of a pistol whipping. Probably someone that no one would ever care about going missing after such a brutal beating.

Now, the official was probably given a new weapon, however, as a special request, the weapon was to be fixed. This was probably to display, as the gun could never be fixed and reset into a wooden base again. If the gun was fired, it would end with an explosion that would probably take the user's hand right off. However, it could be made to appear like it was fixed, and then just mounted to a plaque and affixed in an office somewhere.

Hammering away at a special piece of metal that would fix the gun to the wooden grip was a strange and young looking girl. She had a cute look to her, with a feathered pixie cut, deep brown hair that had almost some areas that looked black. Her pale green eyes were squinting slightly as she tried to affix the very hot piece of metal to the gun's inner grip. She stopped for a moment, raising the back of her hand to wipe away the sweat from her brow, her tanned skin was slightly covered with perspiration, which couldn't be helped because of her job. She wore simple overalls with a dark brown tunic underneath, as well as large heavy looking boots. These were good boots, thick leather with some metal between the two pieces, just in case a wayward coal or hot piece of steel was dropped, there was a chance the feet would be protected.

She paid almost no attention to the world around her, which was probably a bad thing. The rain was pleasant, and it droned on in a way, it was so...soothing, and it was so dull at the same time. She had her back to the workshop's open area, where people could walk in from, and her entire concentration was broken as someone spoke. Her voice was high and light as she yelped, suddenly squeezing too hard and the hot piece of metal flung forward into the nearby water barrel. It hissed angrily as the metal suddenly cooled down, and she could just hear the metal cracking and becoming imperfect. It wasn't supposed to be rapid cooled!

A string of curses, all too colourful and too cute sounding came from her mouth as she ran to the barrel and reached in to try and grab the metal piece. However, she was much too short to reach and began to curse her short stature. That piece would be lost down there till the barrel was empty. Her arms now soaking wet, she glared at the barrel before turning to her customer.

What had he wanted again? A sword or something?

"It'll take a few days to make...Did you say Maor Raens?" Why did the name seem familiar? She had heard it somewhere, and she couldn't remember why for the time being. It wasn't important, he was part of the military after all. "And it'll cost at least a hundred gold. Is this a personal weapon or a military use weapon? Because if it's military you can just get your Lefteanant Chornal or Chornal to put in a request." She told the man, still rather annoyed with him that she had interrupted and ruined her work. It may be salvageable but right now she could think of nothing better than hitting this man with a mallet several times.

Probably not the best idea of course.

Anonymous

He winced. Oh. That had probably not been the best idea . . . to talk so loud and so impatiently. He heard the loud hiss as the metal cooled down too fast, and he knew that it was his fault. The young woman's voice appeared from all the noise of the rain and the hissing. She had a pretty voice, to match her cute face and beautiful body. Hoboyoh. What was he thinking about? This lady, was loyalist. She would beat the crap out of him if she remembered who he was. Since everyone probably got a warning about the supposed 'mage killer' running around. Good thing that she probably was so absorbed in her work, she missed most of it.

His apologetic expression deepened after she cursed loudly. "It'll take a few days to make...Did you say Maor Raens?" He had been transfixed by her voice; it sounded so . . . mesmerizing, cute. He shook his head. Damn it to hell! He was a stupid idiot! What was he doing telling others his real name? People were looking for him, even someone who paid little attention would eventually figure it out!

"And it'll cost at least a hundred gold. Is this a personal weapon or a military use weapon? Because if it's military you can just get your Lefteanant Chornal or Chornal to put in a request." She kept on talking. Money was definitely not an issue, he had a lot of that. And when he said a lot, he meant a lot. He probably was weighed down quite a bit because of it. "Money is no problem." He said, then winced at the way it sounded. "I do apologize for making you mess up." He bowed low. Paedin took a deep breath and continued as he straightened. "It will be for personal use of course."

She still looked so annoyed, and he really felt bad. "So how about this, since you are so cute - er - I mean - cutting edge at what you do, I will pay you 250 gold, and another hundred for . . . screwing you up." Damn her cute looks. He paused. Paedin had to make sure that she never found out who he was. If she did, she would capture him and probably beat him before turning him back to the army. Damn. He would have asked them for a new weapon . . . but they were the ones chasing him. Oh the misfortune that followed him! The magician was right under their noses, but no-oo, they were tricked into thinking it was he, Maor Raens.

"I apologize once again, for disturbing you, and destroying your work." He bowed low again. He stayed there for a few seconds then straightened again. "I . . . really don't want to keep calling you 'Miss' or 'Lady' so do you have a need to go with that pretty fa - go by I mean?" Ugh, he was failing miserably. First of all, there was no way that she would fall for someone like him. Especially after that horrible first impression. Second, he was a wanted fugitive and she was a loyalist. Duh, make the connection.

"Might I ask, approximately how long will it take for you to make the best sword that you can?" he paused. "If that costs more, whatever the cost, I will double it."

Anonymous

If he had wanted to be proper, he could have announced his arrival by clearing his throat, or perhaps walking loudly, just anything that would have gotten her attention, instead of sneaking up like a cutthroat and scaring the ever living hell out of her. However, it was now done, and one of her orders was set back another few hours. It wasn't due for two days, and it wouldn't take that long at all, but it was still her practice to get everything out of the way as quick as possible so she would have more time to relax.

The man had a strange expression on his face, Ixia couldn't quite place what it was. She however, was trying to figure out where she had heard his name from. For the time being, she was passing it off as hearing it from around the military academy and what not. Perhaps she saw it on an order form once in a while as well.

Still the way that he was looking at her disturbed her slightly.

He almost seemed a little upset about having given his name, but that could have been normal. If it was actually his military weapon that he broke, and it was outside of battle or academy, then he wouldn't want to file a report about it. "You should, sir, that was for Chornal, if his weapon is late, I'm sure I'll hear about it." Ixia told him, though she made sure not to glare at him, knowing that he had some standing with the military. She didn't want to offend him or anger him too much, because there might be trouble in that particular department.

He was trying his best, but she rolled her eyes. Cute. He called her cute, of course he did. She was used to men hitting on her, they loved her demure, petite look, her cute or adorable look, and it annoyed her every time. She had heard all the compliments and somewhat naughty comments that men used on her. She was used to flirtations before, and this guy was not doing his best. She didn't want him to try either. She was even sure that he was trying to show her how rich he was. Still, he was offering three hundred and fifty gold for a new sword, and she was going to accept that of course. Why look a gift horse in the mouth hm?

"Ixia. My name is Ixia, Maor Raens. Please try not to think with your ah...sword either, big guy." She bowed slightly to him, out of customary respect. He had earned her name at least, if just by a little bit, he had also earned that comment. She hated men like this, it was almost like he was...cowardly. Even though he was a Maor, he didn't appear to function well in a social setting, that was a failing. He wasn't confident, he was stumbling over his words and messing up, trying to cover his words quickly but...it wasn't working out.

"One of the swords I can make will run at least seven hundred gold sir, it'll take at least three weeks...I refine the metal quite a lot, removing impurities and adding strength to the metals. Then I use a folding technique that increases the quality, the durability, and the strength of the sword. Of course...I will have to make a special sheathe for the weapon as well...it's a very arduous process as well, and I'd have to bring in a few apprentices. " Ixia scratched the back of her neck as she thought about it. Sure, a person could mass produce swords easily, she had the ability to make a quality sword quickly and cheaply, using a mold, and usually not worrying about a separate hilt and what not...but to make a truly excellent sword, to make a sword that was of the best quality, was the strongest, and the sharpest...it would take her a while.

"If you really have the time to wait...it'd cost about a thousand gold, and would take four months at least."

Anonymous

Damn. Everything. Goddamn the world. It was as if everything was against him. Time was no different. Even time was against him. He could survive, even with people chasing him for . . . months. It would be hard, but he could do it. Though a not particularly good choice, because they would probably barricade the city off, and check everyone going in and out soon. If they didn't find him a week to two, they would assume that he either already escaped or was hiding. So he had two weeks, thee weeks a most, no more. If this young woman, Ixia was her name, could make a decent sword in that time, he was one hell of a lucky guy for finding such a particularly skillful lady to forge his weapon. If that was the same with all the others . . . well . . . whatever.

Paedin was not in exactly the best position though. He could tell that Ixia did not like him very much. She seemed to be thinking hard about where she heard his name. Who could forget him messing her up? Or calling her cute? There were so many things that he shouldn't have done. Damn it all to hell. Confidence it seemed, was no longer a part in this, it was all endurance, and perhaps a bit of skill. He sighed inwardly. Paedin needed to be on Ixia's good side, or she might second-guess everything he did or wanted.

When she first spoke, his anger flared, and he glanced up, confidence and annoyance brimming over. He took a deep breath and pushed it all away. Anger would not help him now. He inclined his head, he would not speak with his weapon. He was not that kind of person. But how much he wanted for this to all start over. If only he could rewind time. Cute. What an annoying word. Why did he have to have said it? After he did say it, he saw the hateful expression of Ixia. Just great. She probably hated men like him.

Paedin bowed low. "I apologize for my behavior, it was unacceptable, and I will punish myself upon my arrival home." He straightened again. "I should not have spoken the way I did, it just kind of . . . slipped out of my mouth." Paedin averted his eyes, trying not to even look at Ixia. "I am not going to hit on you, since you probably get enough of those . . . "

Oh how he hated himself right now.

Back to the original topic. The sword that he needed. Right now, all he had were his Dragoon guns and twin daggers in his boots. His sword had been broken when he had escaped custody of his fellow army mates. How quickly they had turned on him. Damn it. He pushed such thoughts away from his head and glanced at Ixia before nodding. "I think that the three weeks is the longest that I can wait. So, I shall be giving you double of seven hundred . . . plus the money that I will pay for wasting you time." He bowed again, and turned away from Ixia." Since I have nothing to do for the next three weeks . . . do you mind if I come by daily? And watch you do what you do?" He winced, it kind of just slipped out again. Damn it all.

Anonymous

Time could make a fool out of anyone.

If he didn't want to make a lasting impression, he failed miserably. He made her screw up for one, and ruined many good hours of work. Then he hit on her, poorly, and awkwardly for that matter. Then he started flaunting around his wealth, just acting a bit like a jackass. Ixia would remember his name for quite a while. Maor Raens. However, she still couldn't place his name, but that wouldn't matter. She figured the next time she visited the academy or some such, she'd find out who Maor Raens was. Until then though...she'd just have to deal with that little tweak in the back of her head, asking who she really was.

Ixia couldn't help but giggle uncontrollably at the man's words. It was a very light giggle, very adorable as she had been told. She couldn't help it either, and had to cover her mouth. This man was too much, he was just way too much. However, he was the military, and he was wanting a job done. If it was any other man, she'd probably tell him to get out of her shop. "Oh honey, you have just got to relax. Who says they're going to punish themselves at home? That just sounds...much too dirty." Still, everyone had their fetishes, if this man wanted to punish himself at home...that was his business. Granted, it would disturb her because he would be punishing himself because of her...and she wondered if punish might mean something else.

Ugh, she almost shuddered at the thought.

However, he was getting back onto topic now, which was probably a particular god send for the both of them. He had let loose that he indeed HAD been hitting on her, and that made her feel slightly better, and slightly worse. Because that's all people did, and it was always about being cute, or having a nice laugh or voice, or pretty eyes...it was always the same. Variety would be nice. She couldn't reminisce right now though, not about some of the men who had won her over, she had business.

"I can't accept that much sir, just...seven hundred please." Once again, he was just throwing money around like it was a word. It made her wonder if he earned it, if he truly earned the money that he could easily throw around. She had to work hard for any amount of money, and despite the prices she charged, she didn't have a lot to her name. The money was for materials usually, so she could buy more. He wanted an excellent sword, with it's own special sheathe, which meant that she would have to do a lot of work, and with other smiths coming into the shop to help.

"Watch...what I do? I..." She closed her eyes and sighed. He was from the military, and he was paying. "If you really want to. It's quite boring, and quite warm in here, and there will be people moving around very carefully...you have to promise that you'll sit in the corner, out of the way, and not distract anyone. You can not creep up behind people and look into the kilns, or ask what they're doing. As something that you can watch, this is an incredibly boring thing." It also threw up some more red flags. How could a Maor not have something to do for the next three weeks? If he was on vacation, he would certainly not stay in Reajh, so...how could he just...sit around in a shop for three weeks? "And I'll need the gold upfront." Most of the time, she let her customers pay after the work was done...but she had to know that this man was actually able to pay...

And if there was something wrong, or if he was shirking duties at the Academy, and got a court martial going...well, she'd still have the money, and will not have wasted her time for everything. "Bring the gold tomorrow when you come to...watch. First however...hold your arms out at your side." She told him as she fetched a special yellow rope with different black marks all along it. She had to measure him, to figure out just how long to make the sword, how heavy to make it, and so on. It had to be very precise, very personal, this would be his sword, and on the battlefield, no one could just pick it up and use it. It'd be too different, the weight would be weird for them, it would either pull the tip down or bring it up if they found it too heavy or too light.

It would be an extension of his own body.

Anonymous

The world hated him so.

It started badly. Why would it stop there? Now it was going horribly as well. Paedin was not used to being civil. He was used to being disciplined and with others that were the same as him. Here he was, embarrassing himself in front of a pretty girl, who he had asked to make him a sword. Though he really couldn't understand why she disliked him. Well, besides hitting on her and being a damn idiot. Was he acting too rich? That was probably it. Damn women. They were impossible to figure out. What he really wanted to do at this point was put his hand to his face and groan. He should just stop talking.

Then he heard it. The giggling. It was damn cute, and he blushed red. He knew that she was laughing at him. Paedin tried his best not to look at Ixia. If he did, he probably turn far more red and also make more of an idiot out of himself. Not that it would matter much. He was already such a bastard in her eyes probably.

"Oh honey, you have just got to relax. Who says they're going to punish themselves at home? That just sounds...much too dirty." He heard her say. Paedin coughed, his eyes closing, as he winced in embarrassment. Of this was just going GREAT. He opened his mouth a few times but no words came out. Then finally he spoke. "I . . . didn't mean it that way." He scratched his head. "I meant I would pray that I would be forgiven of my sin." That sounded so damn stupid. "You probably get enough men hitting on you all the time." He paused. "I have sworn not to say inappropriate . . . words to people a few years ago . . . I can't believe that I broke it today."

"I insist. While it may seem like I am wasting money," he paused. "And it also may seem that I might have stolen it, I have not, this is all money that I have made for myself." Paedin sighed. "If you really don't want that much, I guess I'll keep it for now." He wouldn't have much use for money if he were found out. She seemed to watch him closely, as if there was something off about him. Especially when he said that he wanted to watch. Guess people on vacation didn't stay close to home. "The reason I ask to watch is that on this vacation of mine, I have no where to go, my family is all dead, I have no where that I WANT to go . . . " he sounded depressed. "I'm probably considered a workaholic . . . "

Paedin looked at Ixia for a second and frowned. "I have the money now." He took out a bag and weighed it in his hands. Then he took out a second one. "This is about . . . eight hundred gold." Paedin said, lying a bit. It was closer to a thousand, but he wanted to pay her back for all the trouble he was and might cause in the future. "Just take it, I feel bad enough."

He depressed figure was not letting up. Guess that was what he truly felt like. Depressed to the point of running. He held up his arms to be measured. "There is something that I want to ask." Paedin said. This was crucial to know. " If someone was accused of using magic when they did not . . . could not . . . would you turn them in?" Paedin sighed. "I was wondering if I should turn him in, that man."

Anonymous

She almost felt sorry for the guy. Almost. She wasn't going to throw him a pity date though.

Ixia was pretty sure that if he decided to be a little quieter, he might be likable. But as it stood, he just annoyed her whenever he opened his mouth! Hitting on her, trying to impress her, trying his best to recover when things didn't work for him. She had to wonder about something, how often did it work? Either it didn't work a lot, or it worked so much that he didn't need a contingency of some sort. That was a scary thought really...that this man's poor compliments and flirting worked so much that he couldn't figure out how to back peddle from his compliments.

He wasn't even looking at her now. That was probably the right thing to do however, as he was no doubt quite embarrassed. She couldn't blame him. Well. She could actually! He was being a bit of a...she wasn't really sure what to call it, but...he was trying much too hard. It got a little weirder as well when he spoke of...praying and sin. That was just a little...worrisome. Religion was very interesting in Connlaoth, accepted religions more had to do with animalism, or just being atheist. When it came to Gods, things were a little worrisome. She looked at him very suspiciously, one eyebrow raised as she watched him carefully now.

Something was very odd and strange here.

"Riiiiight." Sworn not to say anything inappropriate? This guy was just all sorts of weird. However, he was paying money so...she couldn't be too mean to him. She still was incredibly turned off by him however. "You're part of the military, I never would have thought such a thing." Oh god, here it was again. This was just getting to be too much. Now she was really regretting letting him come back tomorrow to /watch/ her work. It was just a little creepy sounding now. This man had a familiar name, and was part of some religion that prayed and had sin...and he was constantly trying to impress him. She'd really have to talk to some military contacts about this Maor Raens when she got the chance.

"I...see." Ixia couldn't think of anything to say actually. What were you supposed to say? "I'm...sorry for your loss." That was probably the best thing to say, now that she remembered it. "If you insist...but if there's a lot more, expect to have it returned tomorrow after I can count it." Ixia told him as she took the two bags of gold from him. They felt heavy, and she wasn't really sure how much they were but...probably more than he had said. Again...just trying to throw money around, among other things really...

She raised an eyebrow at the question. Was he serious? "You're in the Military Maor, shouldn't you know the rules better than I? If this person isn't a magic user, and there is no evidence, then he has nothing to fear right?" She really wasn't sure what he was asking, but he was part of the damned Military! This was very wrong...very VERY wrong. Oh she wasn't going to wait. After she was done here, she was going to head to the military station and find out just who Maor Raens was. Something was way too suspicious here. More so because he was changing his story, at the end there. That man? Who was that man? He had posed what she assumed was something hypothetical, but then it turned into a reality, and the way he was acting...it wasn't the typical way someone who was high up in the military would act normally.

This was going to be interesting.

Anonymous

What a big fail this all was. Everything seemed wrong, everything he said, he did, he looked at. He was an idiot. That was a given. Ixia was not helping his self-esteem. Paedin really needed to work on his people skills. Now that he thought of what he spoke, praying was related to god, he had not meant that he was religious. He was not. He was . . . agnostic. That was a good word to describe him he guessed. Perhaps he should just act like a damn idiot. Maybe it would end up worse or nothing happened at all. But that way he might not feel like such a goddamn fool for acting like himself.

The more that he talked to her, the more that he disliked her. She was everything that he hated. Well not hated, just did not like as much. There were a few moments that she almost seemed . . . likable . . . but they were gone in an instant. People these days. Could it be that it was not him at fault but her? Paedin doubted it. He knew what he had said and it had not been . . . the best choice of words to say.

He relaxed now. From the looks of it, he almost had a bored look about him. It was almost as if he had changed personalities. "Don't get me wrong, I won't hit on you any further." Paedin shrugged. "You just remind me of a dead friend that I once had. Pretty young woman. Got accidentally killed by one of my own." Perhaps there was a deeper meaning to those words. But it was the truth. "I thought you looked almost exactly like her, so sorry." He yawned.

"Just as I said." Paedin had his hands in his pocket and all his weight on one leg. "I have a friend that is being chased because he was accused of using magic." Her words hurt him. She really didn't know what people were like. "See that is what I am afraid of. This country does not care whether or not someone is an actual mage or not." Paedin said. "If you are caught or turned in, you will get the death sentence, a hanging. Do you think that is fair?" He waved it off. "I know I have to turn him in, and I will, but I will find evidence that he is not the accused."

"Forget me coming to watch, you are right, it would just be boring for the both of us." Paedin said as he turned to leave. "So how long was it for the sword three weeks? Then I will see you in that amount of time."

Anonymous

The smart man would have probably kept his mouth shut. This man before her, wasn't a very smart man. It wasn't his fault probably, she could blame herself of course. People thought she was too cute and too vapid looking for this kind of work. It threw them for a bit of a loop usually, seeing this young, bubbly and empty headed woman in a forge. Of course, she had a temper and wit to match her weaponry and her forge. Poor Paedin had unfortunately found that out the hard way.

The sudden change in personality was actually a little confusing. It was also turning out to be creepy. "That's...nice sir." She said, but clearly she found it disturbing. So your friend was dead, and to honour her, to see someone who looked like her...you hit on them? Well either he enjoyed necrophilia, was a liar, a lecherous pervert, or perhaps he was really bad at covering for himself. Ixia was going to go with the last part. His bored expression, his...very disturbing comment, it was all very...odd. One minute he went from stumbling around over his words and trying his best to make up for what he had said...

Now he was completely different. "It's...nothing for you to worry about." She told him as he apologized again. Looked exactly like her. She still wasn't sure she believed him, because if she did...then what kind of man would he really be? A very odd one at that.

"I think if the man is innocent, they'll find him so. Though it's a serious crime, the law takes it very seriously and doesn't just condemn people. If you gather the evidence for your...friend, I'm sure that he will be found innocent." This was a very interesting conversation. She wasn't in the military, and she knew more about the law than he appeared to. Of course, citizens knew the law, but the military should really know the law quite well. She had spent her fair time around the military, working for them and what not, so it was probably only fair that she knew a fair bit.

"Very well...see you in three weeks sir." And he was gone. She shook her head and put the gold away before going back to the gun. She couldn't start on the sword today, she'd have to call in her apprentices and what not for this job. Right now she could finish the damned gun and then at least be on her way.

Three weeks went by rather quickly for Ixia. In all that time, she had forgotten to ask around about Maor Raens. Fortunately for Paedin, Ixia focused on her work more than anything. She always meant to go after the day was done, but found she had very little energy. She couldn't spare any apprentice, save for the one who was able to run over and deliver the gun, but by the time she remembered about Paedin, the apprentice had long since left. Fate was a funny thing it appeared, as she surely would have discovered his secret, and she would have surely brought guards for when the sword was done. However, that wasn't the case, he was very lucky to get a blacksmith who quite focused on the sword.

She added a rather impeccable black sheathe to go along with the sword, mostly black, but with a silver wolf's head that looked like it was eating the sword when you sheathed the weapon. It was mostly decorative, and she ensured that it wouldn't catch the sword when you tried to unsheathe the weapon, or sheathe the weapon. The sword itself had a crimson red handle with a black spiral to a very nice pommel. The blade was dark, very dark, the metal having been folded over time and time again, special metals added to create strength to the blade. It was very finely sharpened too, and would remain that way, so long as he cared for it with a whetstone and used the sheathe properly. Of course, at the very base of the blade, was her signature, what looked like a wolf's eye with a capital I for the pupil. All in all, this was a blade that most men would kill, and die for. It was properly weighted and balanced even, she usually had a good eye for people after all, and this weapon would only work for Paedin...or for a man who was Paedin's rough height and weight.

While she didn't want to wait around for him, she knew she would have to. She couldn't let an apprentice stay and watch the shop, there was no telling what might happen. Wrapped in a fine silk cloth, the sword sat atop purple velvet pillow on the counter. Ixia on the other hand, sat upon a wooden stool, waiting for Maor Raen to show up and collect his new weapon.

Anonymous

She had gotten it all wrong. He could tell from the look on her face. She was one who came up with a conclusion and would go to great lengths to keep it. He might even call her narrow-minded. Not that it matter much. What she thought of him didn't matter enough for him to try and change it. After all, when he had, it had only gotten worse. Might as well not care. Paedin had spoken about his friend looking exactly like her. She had believed him to be many things that he was not. Wouldn't you be surprised if you went somewhere and found someone that looked exactly like someone you believed to be dead? Obviously Ixia did not.

He left without another word. Being around one such as her would be bad for him. She obviously knew her laws and what went around in the army. It was true that she was well versed in the military way, but not quite enough. Paedin sighed. The rain had started up again. While it was horrible weather, it helped cover his tracks. With a glance around, he started off. It was best not to stay in one spot for too long. Wrapping himself tighter with his cloak, he headed into a local inn and checked in. He had enough money to last him for quite a while. Three weeks would be no problem.

For the next few weeks, he spent all his time looking for his own innocents. But what could be found when it was the army accusing you of a crime that you didn't do? To be accused of being a magic user. It didn't matter how much proof you got, the chances of getting convicted where very high. Not because you did not get a trial or because you were automatically convicted of a crime. But because people tended to think badly of even people who are only accused of being a magic user. Very bad news for him.

Finally three weeks past. He had barely found any information. It was time to leave then. Or was it time to turn himself in. Paedin shrugged. It was his choice, but today was the last day. He would either forever be a fugitive or be convicted of being a magic user. Neither one sounded fun. But would he rather run for his whole life? Not likely. He arrived at the shop like the first day he had. It was raining like before. Great, a sense of déjà vu. He knocked this time and cleared his throat. "Maor Paedin here to receive his sword?"

Anonymous

Well, at least he was gone for the time being.

There was so much to think about, so much to figure out, so many questions, but all of them eventually left when she started working on the gun again. Her focus and concentration on Paedin was all gone for the most part, except for keeping a good idea of what the sword had to look like so it would work perfectly for the Maor. She at least didn't think he was too bad of a person, but he was just really awkward around her. Whether that was because she was so 'beautiful' or if just because there were other things on his mind, she couldn't say for sure.

Still, she did feel a little guilty. What if everything he had said had been true? What if she did look like a good friend, and what if his friend really was in trouble? She didn't have much time to really think on all of that. Her work kept her busy, and through the three weeks she had a lot to do unfortunately. Multiple weapons were being made of course, though Paedin's was the one getting the most attention. It was a specialty order after all, and worth a bit of money. There was so much to do, the blade must be made, the scabbard, the hilt, and the same went for the other weapons.

Eventually when all was said and done, she just had to wait for the man to come by and pick up his weapon. There was rain again, she could hear it outside, and sighed to herself. Maybe she should just sleep in the forge tonight, she hated walking home at night, it was so...she just didn't care for it. Clothes sticking to you, feeling cold, wrecking how you looked...just wasn't fun. It also could make you sick, or so her mother always stated.

The knocking at the door made her jump slightly, roused from her thoughts suddenly, but this time she wasn't holding anything important at least. No more reason to get angry with the man. "Come in Maor Paedin." She called, her voice rather sing-song as she did so. She was happy really, the sword was truly one of her best works. She did of course have a small satchel of gold for him, he had over paid after all. She took it from beneath the counter and placed it beside the velvet pillow that the sword and scabbard rested on.

Finally things were going to come to a conclusion. Unless this man had any more weapons he wanted her to make.

Anonymous

It was the last day. Paedin was barely able to stay on his feet. For the last few weeks, he had constantly been on the run. It was his determination mixed with a bit of luck that kept him from being caught. But everyday he stayed, they crept a step closer to him. There was no chance for him to prove himself, no chance at all. If there had been any clues to his innocence, he had spent too much of his time running and not enough time looking for it. Truly he had been lucky to have not yet been caught, but even more so unlucky to have been framed in the first place.

Paedin entered the room to find Ixia and the sword waiting for him. Closing the door behind him, he let out a sigh of relief. For a few moments, he just stood there, catching his breath and collecting his thoughts. This was the first time he felt calm, as if he were at peace. It was a feeling he had not felt for some time now, far longer then he could remember. But he could not stay any longer without getting her into trouble. After all, he was a "criminal". Nodding to himself, Paedin opened his eyes.

"I must say, just from looking at the sword in its sheath from here, I can tell it was magnificently crafted," Paedin smiled slightly. "I cannot wait to see it completely myself . . . but I must admit I have run out of time now, for I must leave now."

He took a few steps away before he thought of a plan. A plan that just might end up helping someone before his death. After all, those accused were basically convicted of those crimes. Paedin had seen the truth, but it had not mattered to him until now. He half turned his head to look at Ixia. "You wouldn't mind walking with me?" He cocked his head a fraction. "I'll take you home and be on my way, I have something to talk with you about anyways." He paused. "And if you are afraid of any rain, it seems to have stopped for a bit."

Anonymous

In reality, Ixia wasn't sure that Paedin was actually going to show up. The man had been talking so oddly, and he had a lot on his mind it had seemed. His friend had been in trouble after all, and that meant that he was no doubt particularly caught up with that. She still had meant to look into him, but she had so much work to do, and so very little time to play investigator. Guess that's what happens when you have a business to run isn't it? She really wished she had though.

Finally though, he showed up.

She breathed a sigh of relief, now she could finally go home and sleep for a day. She had worked herself to the bone to get this done. Now he was here to collect, and she was finally done with everything. He looked pretty ragged too actually, and she almost felt sorry for him. She could only imagine what things he had been doing during the past few weeks.

"As if I could make anything but." It would be an insult to her entire family if she made something that wasn't expertly crafted. This sword had of course been one of her finer creations, and she did hope that he actually liked it, and served him well. She was an artist after all. His next question made her cross her arms over her chest, staring at him with an eyebrow raised. Just what the hell was he getting at now? He must have learned his lesson about hitting on her before...so this had to be something else.

"I suppose I don't mind...but don't expect me to ask you in for a nightcap." She grabbed her rough leather coat and took up the sword and held it out for him. "You should at least take this though...and this." She said as she also held out the bag of gold. "You overpaid Paedin." She told him simply with a shrug. She would not be accepting more money it seemed.