Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Road Full of Promise (Shizzy~!)

Started by Anonymous, April 14, 2010, 05:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Kira was glad Vec didn't come across quite so pompously as some with his status had. Scratch that, most. He held himself upright, and she was sure he was probably holding... something, or even many things back, but he was, at least for the moment, good-natured enough for her to feel comfortable. He almost reminded her of...

Of a man she wished she could remember.

His answer was pleasing though. 'The future' had a nice sound to it, usually bright and full of potential, teeming with possibilities, a blank page waiting to be written on, or drawn, or both perhaps. Or left to the whimsies of fate and chance to dye it with whatever they brought forth from their depths. It was fun, it was dangerous, it was moving and alive, yet silent and waiting to be born all at once. She loved it. And it probably showed clearly on her face, lips curled softly upward, eyes aglow with a passionate hunger, only slightly muted by her deep-seated self-restraint.

Ah, she supposed she'd gotten lost in her thoughts though. It never failed to amused though; the mind could lose itself in an instant and be right back without appearing to have been gone at all, and other times, it was as if all the world had left it behind, without even the faintest idea what to grasp onto in order to pull itself back to its feet and catch up.

"I'm glad," she answered to his positive acknowledgement of her request. "I'm sure we'll be able to get along well, then. We seem to have gotten off to a good start." And that was definitely saying something given her history with his sort. Oh, but that was a rather crude way to mentally register that. Old habits, she supposed, but made a note to regard Vec a little more highly than that. Even after everything... she still wanted to believe that if you gave goodness, you could get it in return.

'That was what he wanted, too, wasn't it?' The thought flourished and was drowned, and even if she wanted to dive down after it, she already knew it was too late. Her expression sobered slightly, but lifted with interest as Vec moved his mask, keeping his eyes closed the whole of the time. He was surprisingly handsome, not at all monstrous or disfigured like she might have thought... Well, she was sure that had crossed her mind, but Gods did typically like to put on some show of themselves. Vec, clearly, was no different, but she didn't begrudge him that. In his case, at least, it served to amuse her.

Cerberus, on the other hand, watched with disinterest, even as Kira watched in a subtly restrained awe while he reshaped his mask. His shadow form bristled a little, like a small wave that ran over from his rear quarters to his shoulders and left his head slightly more slouched down than before. It was clearly a small movement of displeasure, like the family cat might give at the dog it was so forced to endure. Yes, that was definitely what this felt like. Though clearly a hound through and through, he most surely fit the role of the stubborn, knows-whats-his, prideful feline, while this Vec was the showy, look-at-me, eat-my-own-shit-then-lick-your-face mutt. His nonexistent stomach turned. There was no way he could like a guy like this. But he'd bite his tongue. He told himself he would... Kira would see soon enough his ilk weren't to be trusted. She knew that. She was just too naive and hopeful. It seemed he hadn't taught her enough of spite and injustice.

For a moment after Vec placed the mask back on, Kira cocked her head curiously to the side, and then to the other as she examined it carefully. She'd lingered for a moment on wondering if maybe he was blind? Gigglingly, the brief idea of him being horribly cross-eyed had entered her mind as well, and she had to suppress a small chuckle. Surely it wasn't that.

"Hmm, very good," she nodded approvingly, her smile bright, but slightly mischievous. "This way if I should decide to seduce you in the future, I'll be better able to find those lips. She winked jokingly, tapping a finger to her own slightly puckered lips before laughing softly. "It gives you much more of a handsome mystique."

Anonymous

Vec had his failings of course, he was fallible after all, and sometimes he could regard himself as a higher sort than most people. While he wasn't a God anymore, he could still act like it at times. But there was no need to act any other way right now, he was in the presence of two very strange creatures that he wanted to understand better. Even with all of his changing, he still kept that spark of curiosity from his old days.

That spark that could slowly change him back if he so desired.

The future always could be a good place. There were so many options available, so many dreams that could come true. He was rather glad to see a smile upon Kira's face at the mention of the future, at the mention of moving forward and onward. Truly, that's all he was doing, he was just going forward into the future, into the great expanse unknown. This was another reason he liked to travel, he liked to visit realms that were not his. The experiences. He could see no future here, there was no vision of things to come, no shape of fate for him to see. If he wanted to know the future, he would have to experience it, he would have to shape fate as he went along. It was an invigorating idea, it was an invigorating experience as well, knowing that he would have to see how things turned out by being there as they happened.

Made him giddy just thinking about it.

"I believe we have gotten off to a marvellous start." He agreed, smiling softly. He hadn't expected them to trust him like this, to share their camp so readily, but he felt ultimately pleased by it. Meant he wasn't slipping, it meant that he could still affect people so. Not in any evil way, not in any sense of actual manipulation, as if he were guiding them around like puppets. More that he was just a social creature who could easily make friends. Despite their differences, he being a former God, and she a Demon, with her Demon friend (Though, he could still not believe she was a Demon in any sense of the word. Cerberus he could believe, but not Kira.) and yet the three of them seemed to hit it off. Though, Cerberus seemed a bit aloof, as if he didn't much care for Vec. That he could understand, the two were close in some way, and he was perhaps an intruder upon that part.

As Vec shaped his mask, he kept his eyes closed. Upon his eyelids though, there seemed to be...something. As if there was a light beneath them, dancing every which way. It was impossible to tell for sure, it could have simply been a trick of the fire light, but it really did appear as if something was happening behind those simple lids. "I may have my eyes closed Cerberus, but that does not mean I cannot see." Oh yes, the eyes of a God, a truly strange thing. Gods after all, were known for their omnipotence, to see everything at every time. Vec was no different, even in this form. Granted, his ability to see everything was a lot more limited. Suffice to say, he could see right now, the area around him, their little camp site, and he could definitely see Cerberus.

Was the creature afraid of him, or was the creature wary of him. The former didn't seem so true. A beast of shadows and demonic origin had little to fear no doubt. However, as paranoid as demons were, it probably was wary of him. Not that he minded of course. It made Vec feel...powerful in some way, a feeling he had been sorely missing since his arrival here. People didn't view him as a threat, as a foe, they saw him as a jester, as a clown, in his strange clothes and mask. Not that he was a threat, or a foe to Cerberus or Kira, but just...the feeling of power was nice again.

Even Gods liked to feel powerful.

Vec waited as she examined his mask, smiling pleasantly as he waited for her assessment. He could see the humour in her eyes, and could wonder just what she was thinking. One could suppress a laugh, but the mirth showed in other ways. Vec was usually keen to notice such things. After all, he liked for people to be...happy around him. At least in this world. He kept reminding himself he could act a little more...stoic, as a stone or a mountain, strong and firm, uncaring...but he always feel back on the old neutrals, on just...having people feel good around him. After all, he no longer needed to act like the head of a crime organization, a ruthless cretin with power hungry ideals. He did really like the suit though.

Her comment threw him off quite a bit. His smile faltered slightly and he had to look directly at her, his mouth somewhat agape. There was even a slight blush appearing on his face! He raised a hand  to his lips quickly, coughing to clear his throat and to try and clear his face. "Now I wish I had my full mask back, as to hide my embarrassment." Vec spoke...quietly, as if...shy even. He would not deny that he was no stranger to...such compliments. There were some out there who did enjoy his particular aesthetics, but in times before, he would deny further interactions. This body though, this persona, there was little need. Indulging in pleasure was all part of life after all, though, he would take great care if he chose to pursue.

"But I do not think a beauty such as yours would require much in the way to seduce a man. I have vision, and with what loveliness from you that it sees, a simple gesture, perhaps a look of 'come-hither' would be all you need to steal a man away from anything." He couldn't wink in return to her, but he could give a mischievous sort of smirk. Flatter and flirtations were not lost to Vec, and he was sure that he could use them as well as any other male could.

Anonymous

While she wouldn't quite say she entirely trusted Vec, of course, he at least hadn't given her any reason to distrust him yet, and she was more than happy to indulge in that small fact. Watching for a knife at your back only got so tiresome after so long. Sometimes it was nice for a surprise... especially if it turned out to be a pleasant one.

Cerberus huffed softly at Vec's remark towards him. Really, he didn't care either way if the God could see him or not. That wasn't his concern. The fact of the matter was that Kira could see him. "Oh, I'm quite sure of that," he responded, a small, bitter tone of disapproval in his voice. "The Lord works in mysterious ways, after all."

Kira shook her head, attempting a gesture to ignore the hound. She knew very well what he was getting on about, having his precious alone time with her so rudely intruded upon. It was easier for her to just ignore it, but in the back of her mind it was a persistent fly buzzing around... With Cerberus, it seemed, there were always repercussions. Ignoring him, too, would have its price eventually, even in situations as subtle as this.

Her eyes widened just a bit at Vec's reaction to her comment, something she hadn't expected in the least. Throwing around tempting words and glances was a small hobby of hers, something she rarely ever pushed much further, but a fun way to break the ice, and really get to know a person. You could tell a lot in the way they reacted. In other occasions, though, it had a myriad of uses, none of which she was afraid to employ either. She was hardly a vain person, though, hardly someone who took much thought of her appearances and how she might be appealing to others, her whims simply struck her as they pleased.

But she did have to remind herself to be careful. Mixing 'affections' and 'Gods' never ended well, and they never ended easily either. Long, drawn out, sordid affairs. From his earlier comment it seemed he had some idea of this, though she didn't think their experiences were quite the same. As he gave reply with a compliment of his own, she smiled softly, preening, just a little.

"If you give me such delicious reactions, and feed me such a fine dessert as those words, I think I might have to consider more seriously the prospect of seducing you, after all."

Oh, but this was a path that could become quite long and intricate. She was reasonably sure Cerberus wouldn't allow it, of course, but she knew just where one flattery followed by another, and another could lead. And on a dark night, in the middle of the forest, with a relative stranger, one who was a God, no less. Well, it had dangerous and romantic and 'the stuff of legends' written all over it. Ah, the fair maiden with her loyal hound lost in the deeps of the wood, ah, the noble God who came to her and did set her on the right path, and, ah, how they did make with the nasty. She giggled softly.

"So where will we be heading, then?" Cerberus chided in, and Kira visibly glowered at him.

"...ruining my fun..." she muttered with a small pout, though the shadow wolf paid her no attention.

"If you've been here before, I'm sure you'd have a reasonable destination in mind where we could get our bearings and a better understanding of our situation, yes?" Cerberus continued, completely disregarding the entire mish-mash of exchanged pleasantries. He knew while Kira wasn't a person who sought the limelight, she still loved to glow warmly in the presence of others. He'd also seen time and again how naively she drew men to her, like moth to the flame. The flame was simply burning, it had no ill intent. It was just that the moth couldn't be made to resist its lure... He, himself, was one of many such moths.

Anonymous

Just as it was for her, Vec felt the same way. Neither of them had given Vec a reason to not trust them, they hadn't made a move against him that indicated any particular ill-will or desire to see him hurt. Well, Cerberus didn't seem altogether happy with his appearance, but from what he could piece together, that wasn't uncommon with the creature. Vec would continue to poke the beast, but only out of curiosity, and perhaps out of amusement. He just hoped that Cerberus took it personally. That was not Vec's goal after all, as he did respect the creature.

"Is that not the truth?" Vec replied pleasantly to the hound. Gods did tend to work in some rather...interesting ways really. He himself was one of those mysterious types when he had his full powers at his disposal. Of course...in the end, people didn't realize that it was just to make people happy. That's all. He just wanted people to be happy, but in his world there were certain elements that could prevent that. Chaos being one of them. There had to be Chaos as well, or else things would be so...predictable and boring. Couldn't have that now could they?

In an instant, Vec had to make the choice on how to act with Kira. Her comment was very unexpected, but it was far from unwelcome. What the deeper meaning was behind her comments was beyond his knowledge however. Was her goal for long term, or short term? He had made the choice to act...naturally. As he would act if it were anyone else. There were fears, a great many of them, each of them more terrifying than the other. But there was hope of course, and there was that gentle curiosity that came with the idea of what may be. Ah, how he loved what may be. There was so much...promise in that, the road was full of it if you were willing to travel it.

He just knew...to be careful.

The first...encounter with such thoughts were not unpleasant, they had been the exact opposite. She had been beautiful, the woman he first felt any sort of...feeling to. He attributed it to being a mortal, to not having the Godly disconnection that he would have in his other form. Now he was at them again, but they were not...the same. They were...experimental. Because he didn't know. He liked that, the unknown of it all. Was this all just friendly playful banter, or did she speak from somewhere deeper...did...did he speak from somewhere deeper?

Oh...the age old questions.

"I think you will find that I shall be quite the willing participant, but I will try to ensure that I do not fall too easily to your seductions. I would not want to make me seem...easy." He wasn't sure if that particular word translated very well here. In his world, it had taken a great number of years, but people started using it to describe some who were...quick to fall into bed. He personally didn't know if she would understand the word and the concept behind it, but if she thought of it as a game of some kind, it would at least...translate a little better.

He could only wonder if his comment made her giggle, or perhaps something else. He was curious to know if Cerberus and Kira shared some metal bond, some form of communication that needed no voice, but thoughts could simply travel between them. They seemed to share some close bond, and even had the ability to ask questions for each other...so he could only wonder.

"We are in Adela, a somewhat war-like country, nice enough people for the most part though. My thought is to head to their city, Ketra. It is a trading hub, a place of rather good commerce. There I believe would be a rather poignant starting place." Vec explained as he drew up a map in his mind. He had seen a few of this place before, even conjured up a rather nice illusion of the entire world once. That had been taxing, and he had to guess with some places. This world did talk to him in some way, but it was a lot harder to listen here.

Vec though, just remembered a rather important question actually. If they would be travelling together, he would have to know a bit more about them. Standard things of course. "Do you require sleep at all? I myself have no particular need of it, but I know that others may. As well, do you succumb to the elements, such as becoming cold, or finding yourself too warm under the sun's light?" Vec could feel the elements, but he could not succumb to them. He could fake perspiring of course, make himself seem almost completely human, but it would all be an act. Even the movements of his chest, what appeared to be breathing were simulated. People were uncomfortable enough with a man who bound his eyes but could still see, he could only imagine how they would feel around a man who did not sweat, did not breathe, and didn't do a host of other...normal things.

Anonymous

Oh, the word 'easy' was well in her vocabulary, and giggle she did, indeed. Imagining a God to be 'easy' was both amusing and... not too difficult to grasp all at once. God's were just as susceptible to the whimsies of a fickle heart, after all, at least for the most part it seemed.

"Oh, I don't think I could imagine you being easy, Vec," she winked, "if you were it wouldn't be nearly so much fun." Ah, she really couldn't help herself sometimes when the mood struck her, but she shrugged and shook her head. "Likewise though, I'd hate to give you the wrong idea about myself in the same regard."

"Don't let her fool you," Cerberus grinned to himself, and she moved to thwap him upside the head, though without much luck as her hand only passed through the shadow-mist, sweeping at the ground.

"He's just jealous because I won't pay him any attentions," she grinned harshly at him, to which he simply glowered back to her. Smiling, she returned her attention to Vec once again. "Ketra sounds wonderful though, a city of trade is also a good place to gather any necessary information," she nodded to herself thoughtfully.

Suddenly she found herself quite looking forward to it. To seeing more of this world than the thick of this forest. It wasn't exactly very different from most other forests, after all, at least not those she'd seen, so it lost any real potential charm it may have had to, mayhaps, another from a different world. But cities were always abuzz with a different quality. Even if structures echoed similarities to places much foreign from them, they all had something unique and individual about them. Their history, their people. Many things were similar, and if compared to a story one might call them cliché, but just with all cliché's, it was what the author did with the story, the characters, the rising plot, the development, the denouement, all of it, to make the story truly different. To make magic.

Oh yes, she was quite excited to see just what kind of people there were here. What kind of history they'd carved their lives upon. Their beliefs, their strengths and weaknesses. If there was one thing she adored, it was seeing new places and learning all about them.

"Mm, I'm personally susceptible to... most of those things," she went on to answer his questions. "I can go a longer time than... probably most without sleep, but it's better if I do. It helps me... prepare for the day to come, some times in more ways than just the typical." She was of course, referring to her latent dream-seeing abilities, but wasn't sure she felt like elaborating on that just yet. "As for the elements, I don't get cold quite so easily, and am well-adjusted to heat, but I've been known to catch a chill and be unable to shake it, and natural sickness is no stranger to me, though I wouldn't say its something to be much concerned for."

She paused and thought further for a moment, smiling to herself as she realized how naturally and easily she'd went about answering what most would have probably thought to be particularly odd inquiries.

Anonymous

Well, at least she knew what it meant and hadn't made him explain it to her.

He may have been one to scoff at some things, but...explaining such a thing was a little...embarrassing. Considering how much of the subject he....knew, but how little he...experienced. There was a word or phrase for that perhaps, some manner to say it easier. Spent his life with a wealth of knowledge, but no actual experience to back it up. Not just on that subject of course, his first fight had been so...interesting. His first fight as a mortal anyway. He had no experience, no idea of his capabilities, and mostly just ended up using spells to create shields around him and protect him.

"I would never think anything of the sort Kira." There were many women out there who were easy as he had said. Many women, of all species who were like that really. Demons were a notorious bunch of course, but he would not think her that way. She seemed far from it. After all, if she was easy, he probably would have been able to elicit less bold statements from her after complimenting her. No, she was definitely one who knew her tastes, and was a woman of discriminating ones at that. It wasn't a bad thing of course, far from it. It meant that there was some fun and intrigue to be had with her.

"Aw, Cerberus jealous?" Vec asked pleasantly as he regarded the creature after she swatted her hand through him. Heh, he was an interesting sort of creature. Vec wondered how things would fair with the beast around. While he didn't have any...plans of sorts to seduce Kira, it appeared that flirting was harmless enough with her. He only wondered what Cerberus would do...and he wondered why. He was bold enough to ask, but not right now...

"Oh yes, a very good place to find information. It just depends what kind you look for of course. Information on the structure of the kingdoms can be found there, though I can tell you they are ruled by kings and senates of sorts, at least on the mainland." Of course, Connlaoth was slightly different, but that was unimportant. It was not a place they should visit. It would be smart to stay the hell out of the Connlaoth. And in his case, the heaven out of Connlaoth. Ahem.

Out of respect as she talked to him, Vec kept his head facing her. He found people found it rude, even disrespectful when you looked away from them when they spoke. Even if he explained that he could see them no matter where he looked, they didn't care still.

Some people.

"That is the information that I require then. At night, you shall rest, during the day, we shall walk as much as we can...stopping of course for meals...maybe tea once in a while if we can manage it...as well as any interesting scenic areas." Oh yes, he might have been an ultra-civilized person who wished he could live in a very urban city, but...in the end...when he thought about it...he stilled loved the outdoors. Being in the forest like this, was incredibly nice...but you'd never hear him admit that out loud.

"Would both of you perhaps like something more comfortable to sleep upon tonight? It is of little bother for me to conjure anything that you desire." Vec told her as he gestured tot he goblets and to the towel that he sat upon. It wasn't that difficult, his magic allowed for him to create some very nice things, so long as he was smart about it. He couldn't reproduce things so they were authentic, that was, he couldn't make a six hundred year old sword. Sure, he could make one LOOK six hundred years old, but it wouldn't actually be that way.

Not like a lot of people could tell such things.

Anonymous

Well, in the very least she was glad he wasn't going to be of the mindset that she was the type to lay down easily. Though, admittedly -never aloud of course- there had been some instances in which the heat or passion or alcohol had caught up with the moment and she'd... been a little more easy-going about such things. Luckily, the wine hadn't hit her that hard.

At her side, Cerberus gave a small, scoffing huff as he laid his head over his forepaws. They could do whatever the hell they wanted... for now, he'd get some rest so he could wake up early and pester her as much as he pleased throughout the day. Slowly, his already shadowy form began to fade into the rest of the natural shadows around him. A gradual process as he drifted off, ignoring them, his form disappearing with his consciousness.

Watching him for a moment, Kira smiled faintly, and perhaps, with a touch of bitterness. Things could have been a bit more enjoyable without his presence, but... she knew she was glad to have him. Being a stranger in a strange land wasn't so new, but there were enough other things to worry about to not want to have to worry about them alone. At least Cerberus was knowledgeable about her concerns without her having to dish out lengthy sagas of explanations.

Any bitterness slipped from her features though as she returned her full attention to Vec, nodding at his mention of information. Actually, now that he mentioned it... such particular information could possibly be quite useful. Most of her enemies were quite influential, and if they had something to do with why she- they, were here like this, there was a reasonable chance she could find something about them... A name, an organization or group, that would give a sure sign of their presence. Hopefully, something that could spark some of those hazy memories, even...

"That sounds great," she nodded, clearly more enthused than she might have appeared just a moment prior to considering the full benefits of this endeavor. "Actually, Vec, have you..." she paused, frowning a little as she thought for a moment. It wasn't a good idea to ask so upfront and simply, she knew; she had to be more careful than that, but... well, she had to find something out, didn't she? "Have you ever heard of a place called Babylon?" Her voice asked without her having fully thought it through.

That most definitely had not been the question she'd had in mind, but it poured through. She couldn't even herself recall this... 'Babylon' place, it had almost felt a foreign thing to say. Like a ghost had just crawled inside her body and spoken it through her mouth. Thoughtlessly, her hand lifted to gently touch her throat, a little disturbed. Still, the question remained, though even if he answered, she had no idea what she would be able to make of it...

At his offer of better... 'sleeping arrangement' she arched an eyebrow and glanced back to Cerberus, who simply looked like a small, slightly moving lump of shadow on shadow by now. A breathy chuckle escaped her and she shook her head.

"Just some blankets would be nice. One to sleep on, one under. I'd rather not spoil myself too much," she grinned up at Vec with a small shrug. "Sometimes, I do actually enjoy roughing it a bit," she admitted... which was probably a severe understatement. Camping out under the stars by a fire was something she practically lived for. Not that some creature comforts weren't greatly appreciated every now and then...

Anonymous

It was interesting to watch Cerberus slowly fade into nothingness. How quaint was that? The beast fading into Vec's domain. Well, his once strong domain, now that he had come here, he found himself lacking in total control, and it was rather wondrous in his opinion. Not having so much control, not having so much...power at his fingertips. Still, the shadows were his domain...they were nothing, they were the absence of light...and that made nothing.

If this were his world...Cerberus would find a world of trouble in the shadows perhaps...but they weren't. They were in this strange world.

"Babylon?" Vec pondered the question for a moment, looking down at the ground as he concentrated and thought. His memory was vast, and the places he had visited before were numerous...he had been to this world before, time and time again in different periods of life and rebirth. "I knew an ancient city once called that...they had a grand garden...it was considered to be one of the most wondrous things of the world." That had been ages ago, eons for him, but he remembered the place. How he had liked it...the world had been like his, primitive in their ways, with ancient and silly superstitions, building pyramids to house their God Kings, constructing large marble structures, fighting wars, devising their place in the world, even creating the number zero, which to him was immensely amusing as it was...the number nothing.

Oh how he did miss that place sometimes...but this...this world was a lot of interesting too. It had magic...where the previous one lacked such things.

"I also remember a text about it oddly enough...I cannot remember the exact book it was in...but it spoke of it being a place of sin, where all the evils of the world came together...but that could very well have been a metaphor or perhaps propaganda." If he were in his God Form, he could tell her easily but...this form was limited, it was stifling some might even say but...that was alright by him. It was nice not knowing everything, and not remembering every little detail.

"Do not be afraid to indulge sometimes though, it can be nice to spoil the body and the soul." Vec told her as he stood up and smiled at her. Blankets then. That would be find wouldn't it? He held his hands out and began to concentrate his magic. Slowly...golden light began to form lines above his hands and arms...and then soon...they began to take shape, folded blankets...and a large fluffy pillow. The blankets were a muted cream colour, but the pillow was of golden thread. Just a cheeky little nod at himself really. Gold was his favourite colour after all.

"I hope you do not mind the pillow." Vec said as he set them down carefully in front of her. "One must have at least a little creature comfort after all."