Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Forbidden Rituals {KiraYume}

Started by Anonymous, April 17, 2010, 11:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Ayane led him to the bed wordlessly, and as he clambered into it, she pulled the sheets over him, letting them fall over his figure. But he spoke once again, and she turned to listen, perching on the edge of the bed and watching him. She knew his side would be irritating him. It had been a peculiar mark..

Hopefully if it wasn't too late she could return to the library and find that book again. But one glance at the large window on her other side told her it probably was. It was dark now, and the moon was the only light that shone into the room they sat in. Lit with the candles of corse. She sighed inwardly and ran a hand through her hair.

He asked if she lived her, and her brows lifted a little. She wouldn't mind this being her home, her real one was not this.. she didn't know the words for it. But this home had a more homely touch to it, hers was far too.. grand to be comfortable. Alistor had always had a touch for the most extravagant things.

"No, this isn't my home." she answered after a moment. "I'm from Serendipity. Perhaps you've heard of my family.." She tilted her head, "My father is Alistor Kiete." She left out her mother though, still a painful memory in the back of her mind. She knew her father would be curious about Leraje, moreso because of the brand at his side now. Ayane narrowed her eyes a little, she'd tell him about it - he would probably know. Hopefully it was nothing bad..

"You are from Thanatos, right?" she asked, one hand tracing the little patterns on the purple-blue quilt absently, her gaze fixed on him once more. He had said he was a frequent visitor to that library, so she'd assumed so.

Anonymous

'Ah, that was stupid of me...' he thought not soon after he'd spoken. He was already being far too burdensome, and she surely had other things to be attending to. She answered him though, and he felt a twinge of guilt as she did at his instantly-recovered curiosity.

"Serendipity..." He repeated, eyebrows raised and eyes lighting up. While he had met people from all over the world, rarely were they really up for talking longer than the buzz the alcohol gave them, or before they had to return to the docks and get back to work. There were few that weren't rugged and roudy sailors and merchants, and so far Ayane was the only foreign noble he'd ever spoken with.

"Hmm, the name is familiar, though I apologize, I'm not much more knowledgeable than that." He felt a little embarrassed for that, but that gleam in his eyes was still hungry enough to overpower any embarrassment from showing through his expression.

"Thats right, I've lived in Thanatos my whole life... Which is to say... its been a bit dull," he said with a forced grin. "What would bring a lady such as yourself here, though? Some sort of official business?" Quickly, he gave a shake of his head, internally biting his tongue. "I'm sorry, Ayane, I shouldn't pry so much... ah..." he paused thoughtfully, frowning a little. "Lady, Ayane," he corrected himself. He wasn't sure if she'd prefer that, but in a place like this, a person like him could get in trouble for not paying proper respects.

Anonymous

He repeated her words and she nodded, smiling just a little. Ayane loved everything about Serendipity - it truly took your breath away, it was majestical, and the people were just as fond of magic as she was. Partnered with the massive libraries, she found it strange he'd never gone before. He proceeded to admit he'd never heard of Alistor and she nodded - a part of her glad he hadn't.

"No, it's okay." She assured him with a slight laugh, resting a hand on his arm. "Yes, you could say that." She admitted, when he asked why she was in Thanatos. Then, she winced just a little. "Just Ayane, after what we've been through.. I don't think formalities are in order." She chuckled under her breath. She'd never been fond of them, to be truthful. She didn't see why, because she was wealthy - it shouldn't give her priority over others.

"But yes, father is well connected with the nobles." She nodded, and lifted a hand to her chest. "I act as the representative of the household. My father has difficulty holding his tongue." She grinned just a little at that. Alistor spoke his mind, on everything. Sadly, this didn't give a great impression on others, sometimes. It seemed that three centuries with humans hadn't been enough for him.

"The meetings are.. Very tedious.." She admitted, ducking her head a little. Then she paused, tilting her head as she examined Leraje. "If it's dull, travel some." She suggested. "Serendipity is... Beautiful." Her voice was once again soft. She laughed once, and looked at her lap. "You should see it." She'd invite him to come back home with her, but she doubted he'd ever accept that offer - it would seem a strange one to give to someone she'd met just today.

Anonymous

His smile lifted back up at the dismissal of formalities. "Ayane, then," he nodded.  The touch of her hand on his arm was comforting; she didn't seem afraid or particularly uncomfortable around him, and that only made him more relaxed as well. 'After all they'd been through', huh? It definitely had the makings of a... bonding experience.

"I see, that sounds like quite a... troublesome responsibility," his tone was good-natured and nonjudgmental, but he had some sympathy for her. Though Lekan rarely pressed his wishes on Leraje anymore, there had been more than enough times when he'd felt his 'foster fathers' wishes bearing down on him. They were two separate circumstances, but both showed the burdens a parent put on their child could be weighty nonetheless. Still, if he thought about it like that, he wondered if either of them wouldn't have been in that old library if not for those influences.

"Once this fever passes, if you have the free time and are willing, maybe I'll show you around the place some. I'm sure the sights aren't nearly as breath-taking as those in Serendipity, or anywhere else, really, but I'm fairly certain there are things here a person can only see in Thanatos."

He'd really rather he left an impression on her other than nearly getting them caught and ending up in her care with a rune-induced fever. "Of course," he added, "I understand if you're busy, I'd hate to impose."

"As for leaving... thats not so easy unless I want to end up discovered as a stowaway and tossed overboard at sea," he laughed at the thought. "I may make enough money to get by comfortably and dress well, but a ticket to the mainland isn't quite so easy, I'm afraid to say." Despite his laughter, it was a little embarrassing, but such was his lot in life. Other than the lack of adventure and overwhelming boredom, he had little worth complaining about. He did, indeed, live comfortably in the very least -even if Lekan insisted on making the rest of the place look like a crypt, his room was like stepping into another building entirely- and it wasn't as if moving from town to town on the occasion wasn't an impossibility. His talents could afford him that much, but he knew there were places that didn't take kindly to necromancy elsewhere that wouldn't allow him to get by so easily.

Anonymous

To be honest, Ayane didn't entirely mind the meetings. It meant she got to travel. It was a good distraction, else she felt she'd be spending far too much time in the library... Not to mention she met people she wouldn't normally. Leraje for example. He was beginning to make this entire trip worthwhile. The gatherings themselves were hardly ever very entertaining though.

At his offer, she looked up once more. True, she hadn't exactly had much time in Thanatos. She'd only been here a few times before now, and even then she hadn't had much time to herself to have a look around. Then at his next statement she shook her head with that same half-smile.

"I'd like that." She said after a moment, "I haven't had much time to see for myself.. that would be.. nice." She nodded then. Lifting a hand to run through her hair once more, brushing the loose strands from her face. "Honestly, I've a few more days left here, why not spend them doing something worthwhile." She tilted her head a little.

Ayane shifted on the bed so that she now sat almost cross-legged before him, her dress still falling over her legs. But she paid it no mind. Listening to his words, she chewed on her lip in thought. She was to be returning in a few days time, aboard a ship with several other unknown nobles. Those boat rides were always very quiet for her. She more often than not travelled on her own. Apart from those rare occasions when Llyi would join her. So she shook her head once, where was the harm? Alistor would be able to look at that mark on his side also.

"You know.. I'm to be returning soon.. When I do, you're welcome to join me." She looked at her lap once more, burying her fingers in the folds of her dress, "You needn't pay anything, dear. Not to mention.. my father might know what to do about your side. We have free rooms in my home also, you'd be able to see Serendipity for yourself." She quirked a brow, still not meeting his gaze, her nerves getting the better of her once again, "Consider it... payback." She murmured, a soft chuckle leaving her lips.

Anonymous

Leraje had to hold himself back from looking too excited at the prospect of getting to spend more time with her, though he just really hoped the rune-brand wasn't anything too serious. It was in a book accessible to the public, so he didn't think it would be... or at least it shouldn't have been.

Despite what he'd said though, he wondered where in Thanatos he could possibly take her that would be any grander than a sight found anywhere else in the world. Staying here, she'd probably already seen undead servants, and if she traveled a lot the docks wouldn't have been particularly interesting, either... Well, he'd cross that bridge when he got there, he was relatively assured of himself that he could pull a rabbit on the fly. It was more interesting that way.

"Great, I'll have to be sure to show you to a good time, then," he beamed, even as a small bead of sweat found its way down the side of his face. Though most of the feverishness had passed, the effects lingered, along with the discomfort.

Watching her, she sat so comfortably and in such a laid-back manner it made him forget those things though. She looked so soft and lovely, any man would be a fool to deny her appeal, and yet he was here seeing what he thought she probably didn't show the people she dealt with on official business. Calm, and assured it seemed, well.... until she averted her gaze from his with that invitation.

His mind felt like it were carefully dissecting each word she'd given him, unable to take them all at once. A... real offer? To go to Serendipity with her? He couldn't hide the shock on his face, eyes blinking and lips slightly agape, dumbfounded. This had to be a joke, right? Slowly, a slightly darkened smile touched his lips, and he let out a soft chuckle, that only lightly breathed of an unbelieving bitterness.

"Y-you're joking right? No offense, but a woman such as yourself asking a man... well, like me to come along with her, to stay in her home? There's no end to the colorful words people might use." It wasn't for himself; he couldn't stand to see a woman so kind and lovely have her name dragged in the mud. But in the back of his mind, now, there was that nagging wonder; was this really all just some nobles means of having their amusement? Come to the backwaters island of Thanatos, bring one of them home for show!

No, he'd already noted himself her kindness. She'd been concerned enough to bring him here, like this now, without knowing much about him. He hung his head a little in disgust with himself for even partly entertaining such a thought.

"Your offer is amazing... too amazing... Too much so for me to consider mere 'payback'." His mind was still rolling it over and over, replaying each word, dicing them apart and re-assembling them... Leave Thanatos? Finally leave Thanatos? His heart thudded lightly with excitement at it, as much as he tried to keep his head calm and clear.

Anonymous

It was clear he was eager to spend more time with her, and she felt much the same. For if she hadn't met Leraje, she felt these next few days would be exceptionally boring. But at her offer, though she hadn't looked up, she could sense his disbelief thick in the silence that laced the air. Then she looked up just a little when he laughed.

But he spoke then, and she tilted her head frowning. He was worrying about her reputation? Really? She found that strange. It wouldn't entirely matter, he could pass for a noble - his clothing was so, Llyi had done much to their family, oh yes.. and Alistor wouldn't mind his presence, she knew that. Leraje had magical knowledge, she knew that - there was something for Alistor to talk with him about.

"What other noble families think of mine has never been an issue." She admitted, smiling a little, "They have enough to talk about already as it is. Why not give them something else? They get bored fast." She shrugged, she'd always thought the noble ladies were boring. "It wont matter to me."

Ayane shifted forward and placed both hands on his shoulders, moving onto her knees to look at him properly. Once again - she swore one of his eyes was a different colour. She frowned a little... but shook her head. "It's not too much, Leraje." She assured, "It's because of me all this happened," She grinned a little, "If you must think of it that way, say.. you're not coming with me, you're making your own way." She nodded, chucking softly.

To her; the offer didn't seem all that big. They'd had people stay in their home plenty of times, Llyi's male 'friends', Alistor's clients and whomever else came past that would spark his interest. To be honest, Ayane didn't see why she couldn't.

Anonymous

Though silence was only silence, he felt like summoning his voice was suddenly more difficult than perhaps ever before. She didn't realize what kind of torture this was for him... He was practically jumping out of his own skin at this prospect, forced to keep himself still and level-headed.

Deep down, though, he thought what was really holding him back from accepting was... how easy this was. Things were never just this simple, were they? They couldn't be or some natural order in the universe somewhere would break. Yet she seemed so calm, so acceptant, like this were perfectly normal... just offering someone their dreams.

Her hands on his shoulders felt both heavy and light, and he looked up to meet her eyes evenly. She frowned and shook her head, and he wondered if something was wrong, but she had continued on anyway, assuring him.

"Even if I think of it like that, though..." he paused, bowing his head down a little to avoid her eyes for just a moment while he thought. He'd be off these islands, the entire mainlands would be spread before him... It'd be dangerous and difficult, but wasn't that what he wanted? No, it was what he craved, deep down, what he felt he needed. His smile softened, but still carried a look of disbelief as he shook his head, looking back up at her. That previous bitterness was gone though, now more hopeful and inspired.

"None of what happened was your fault," he said, his smile strengthening into its usual warmth. "There's no one to blame, its simply... something that happened. Besides, you didn't leave me behind, thats more than what I could have asked for given the circumstances.

"Looking at it that way, neither of us owe the other anything, and even if I tried to look at it as getting somewhere on my own, I would still be relying on you to get there... So tell me some way that I can repay you... because there's no way I can turn down this offer of yours."

Anonymous

She laughed this time. Home was entirely too bland in her opinion. Yes, the library was big, and yes Alistor had a lot of money. But.. in all honesty Ayane found it boring. Llyi was the social butterfly out of all of them. Though, like Alistor - she was not one suited for the meetings Ayane had to attend. When she was at home, all Ayane did really was run errands for her father and read.

But the brief amount of time she'd spent with Leraje had been.. to say the least - fun. Despite the brief interlude they'd run past. But they were both out alright. She scrambled to find something that he could do repay her. Not that she entirely wanted anything from him, per se. Anything she'd feel comfortable asking anyway. So she settled for;

"You make me laugh," Her voice came softer than she'd like, and she shrank away from him, back into her sitting position before him, arms sliding from his shoulders."Keep... keep doing that... that's all I ask." She nodded, glad that he'd be coming at least - this would be a sure way to bring some excitement really... She tilted her head a little, examining him once more. He didn't look quite as bothered as he had a few moments ago, she lifted a hand to his forehead once more.

Still a little above the average temperature, but not as hot as before. Which was good! She lowered the hand and sighed inwardly. "Do you think you'd be able to sleep just yet?" She asked, "You don't look quite as pale now." She smiled just a little.

Anonymous

He was, needless to say, surprised by her answer. His head tilted the the side thoughtfully as he watched her move back again, considering this. Make her laugh? He'd never particularly thought of himself as a funny man, but making a woman laugh was hardly a bad thing -unless, of course, it was at him, in which case it could be downright humiliating- and he quite enjoyed seeing Ayane's smile...

Grinning, he placed his hand over his chest and gave a small bow of his head. "As you wish, from hereon, I shall be your jester, my lady," his words were light-hearted, yet sincere. After all, it wasn't his place to sit around and think things to death; there was more than enough death abounding in Thanatos, and what he wanted was well beyond what the islands could give him. And it was beautiful, smiling Ayane who was offering him this chance... As he'd said, there was no way he could truly turn it down.

He closed his eyes for a brief moment when she touched her hand against his forehead, opening them again when she spoke. "I feel much better, actually," he admitted, though he wouldn't yet confess he was still concerned. How he could wallow in even rune-born sickness, though, when the prospect of leaving Thanatos was so soon before him, he couldn't even fathom. As she lowered her hand, he took it in his, leaning down to kiss the back of it softly. "Though, if I sleep I fear I may wake into reality."

Yes, it seemed he'd spotted an angel amidst some old, dusty books, and upon that glimpse alighted upon a most enchanting little dream. He laughed softly to himself, letting go of her hand.

"But I'd hate to keep you any later than I already have, I'm sure you're quite tired yourself after this evenings events."

Anonymous

She opened her mouth to tell him that 'jester' wasn't what she had meant, but the words died on her tongue when he brushed his lips against the back of her hand. Ah, no wonder Llyi liked this. Her cheeks heated up once more, and she let out a breathless laugh. Ayane shook her head at his last few words.

"Sleep as long as you need to, I've nowhere to be tomorrow." She assured him, standing from the bed, her dress falling about her. She felt he'd need rest, for she knew how much of a toll fevers could take on one's body. Not to mention the rune on his side. She sincerely hoped it would not get any worse between now and their arrival back home. She didn't doubt that Alistor would know about it.

"I'll see you in the morning. Sleep well, alright?" She nodded, and with that - she turned to leave, giving him a smile before she blew out the candle and strode toward the door. Closing it softly after her. She'd need to inform her 'aunt' of his presence just in case - oh, she was not looking forward to that conversation.

It had seemed today had taken a strange turn - though there were several things about Leraje that she herself did not understand. He had magic, and she was indeed curious about that. Though, hopefully now things back at home would be less repetitive. For Ayane had warmed to Thanatos considerably, after today.

(End, I guess? XD)