Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Forgotten Prayers (Draconian)

Started by Anonymous, April 18, 2010, 10:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

It was rare that Eden found herself enough free time to wander around Ketra to her pleasing, rarer still that she didn't find work somewhere along the way and just get right back to it. Somehow she'd managed to get quite far from the toils and troubles, as well as... quite lost.

The Sanctuary was, needless to say, beautiful, and she found it odd that she'd never found a moment to come here before. Then again, it felt particularly... awkward. She was wearing a long skirt and hooded cloak, so her peculiar features were well-enough hidden, nor would she attract the... usual kind of attention she did. Still, getting lost in its expanses wasn't exactly something she could afford to do. She did have work later in the evening, after all, and though there were no important 'appointments', she didn't want to lose any walk-ins because she'd gotten lost in the furthest place possible from where she should have been.

Still, she must have been quite far in... and she remembered hearing tell that the remains of a dragon were somewhere in the thicks of this place. She couldn't tell why it piqued her interest so, but she found herself continuing further in. Or what she thought was the right direction, at least... she really had no idea.

She was far from any of the pathways, which she'd taken in order to avoid running into anyone for various reasons... Her own shameful embarrassment, stumbling into potential customers who might recognize her, or... preachy priests. Her footsteps were soft and careful, as she edged along some of the shrubbery, eyes scanning for anything indicative of this supposed shrine... She'd never seen a dragon before, though their kind and those relating to them weren't unheard of, she'd even heard some of the other Peaches talking about Draconic visitors, but she'd always missed them. She'd never really been too curious about them, so why she was so interested in this one she couldn't be sure.

It'd probably have been much easier to wait for a customer... But then, maybe that was part of the point. This place felt... magical, even to someone who didn't believe in that happy ending, good-always-prevails kind of magic. It was peaceful, quiet, gentle on the soul. She felt like somewhere, deep down, she'd been craving such a place. She felt this strange wanderlust to explore it, take it in, see the secret things that probably weren't really all that secret. To her, it was almost an adventure, all to herself. It really was deserving of the name 'Sanctuary'...

Anonymous

As usual, Nothing was wandering around. There wasn't really that much to do in Sanctuary once you've taken in the setting hundreds of times, the magic left the ground once you got used to it. There wasn't much to do here when people weren't asking for guidance, he'd be left with nothing but his thoughts, and his thoughts were often dark things.

It was then a young woman wandered by and Nothing moved from the pillar he was leaning on, watching for a moment. He looked perfect, his long dark hair swept back over his shoulders, his bright blue eyes clear and open, not hooded with sleep or boredom. If he hadn't been a priest it would be doubtful his hair would be so long, it was his one quirk he kept when he tried to start his life over.

Nothings name wasn't really Nothing at all. That wasn't important though. Almost silently, though not trying to be, he followed the young woman for a ways, curious as to where she was going, if she needed anything. His own reasons for being a priest were personal atonement for his wicked ways when he was younger, after he had gained the scar at his neck and lost something precious to him. Not wasn't the time for dwelling on the past, he could do that while he slept.

For now, he'd inquire as to what the young lady needed. Couldn't be anything but a young lady with how she walked. He couldn't clear his throat or make a noise other than stomping, and he wasn't about to look so silly as to jump around and stomp just to get one persons attention. Instead, he put his long legs to use and moved to glide beside her, looking towards her and offering an apologetic smile.

' Are you looking for someone? '

He rose his eyebrows after his statement and tilted his head, his hands clasped in front of him. She'd hear the voice, oddly clear, at the edges of her mind, the natural rasp of vocal cords was missing. Nothing tried to keep his voice soft so he didn't startle her, but not many people were used to telepathic speakers. He kept a good few arm lengths away incase the robes he wore didn't make it obvious he was part of Sanctuary.

Anonymous

Eden jumped, and on top of that gave the tiniest, yet quite-high-pitched little shriek as she stumbled back from the man in surprise, right on her rear, pinching her tail beneath her. Her hood fell back, giving proper view of her long, red-brown hair and -of course- the pair of white-tipped ears that flickered atop her head at the sudden air against them.

Her hands had flew to them, pulling them down, both to hide them and to rub the voice out of her head that very much hadn't been in her ears. It hadn't right? No, she was quite sure of that. Looking at the man, though, with her bright red eyes, he looked to be a priest, and didn't at all look like he intended to harm her... Had that been... his voice then? It must have been, by the looks of it, and now she was feeling quite embarrassed with herself, her cheeks burning.

"A-ah, I'm so sorry!" she managed out meekly, bowing her head and pulling hood over herself again. She scooped herself up off the ground, dusting herself off, her tail moving on its own as it often did and giving a small wag of displeasure. Embarrassed wasn't quite a strong enough word... and she felt absurdly rude, too, reacting like that, even if she hadn't meant to. "Y-you just surprised me is all... I hadn't seen too many people for a while..." She said honestly, not really sure how to talk to a person who... seemed to communicate telepathically. It wasn't an idea she was unfamiliar with, but she'd definitely never encountered it before. Did he already know what she was thinking? Did he already know who she was, and what she did, and where she lived and came from and... N-no, that was absurd, right? God, she hoped so.

'Right, he asked a question, stop being so rude,' she reprimanded herself, shaking her stupor away. But suddenly, she wasn't sure how to answer that question. Was she looking for someone? No, definitely not anyone in particular, but... At the same time... there was a strange nagging somewhere in her that said otherwise. Whether it was her heart or her head she couldn't be sure, or maybe it was the Madra Rua somewhere inside her... She suddenly felt painfully hopeless and sighed.

"And... no, I... don't think I was looking for anyone in particular, actually." Beneath the hood, her ears tucked downward a little in a clear show of a downward mood, though she realized it was probably apparent on her face regardless. The ears and tail definitely made it difficult for her to hide her feelings much of the time, though, when she didn't have to put on an effective mask, like at work. Her tail could wag senselessly if she was excited, especially when intoxicated, and her ears would pull back if she was afraid or defensive... By this point, she'd given up lamenting on it.

Anonymous

The first thing that popped into his mind wasn't that she looked strange or that her ears were odd or her tail was funny looking. He felt a little bad for startling, but being unable to make a sound besides snapping a twig or moving bushes left him unable to warn people of his precesnse. Nothing kept his expression rather plain, a -what he hoped- friendly look on his face, his hair falling over his shoulder when he turned his head politely while she righted herself.

' I didn't mean to startle you. '

His voice was oddly soft, he realised it was probably just darn creepy having someone speaking into your head and he moved a little closer, lifted his chin and pressed his fingers to the scar at his neck, faded with age, but still there.

' I am unable to speak physically, or I would do that. '

Another moments pause and he took a step closer to look at her, tempted to push the hood back off her head. It was tempting, but it would be rude of him, he couldn't just touch anyone, he wasn't a healer, if anything he'd listen to people and perhaps offer advice, having lived a rather horrible life before deciding on devoting himself to Sanctuary. The fae. The Dragon Bones. Nothing couldn't tell anyone that he was bored here, that he looked forward to the people who made weekly visits, even the daily visits.

Taking a breath he closed his eyes and offered her a smile.

' What are you called? Would you like to speak to me? I'm not one of the better priests, I know no healing magic and I'm rather uneducated, but I'm a good listener. '

It wasn't like he could interrupt anyone if he wanted to besides reaching over and pinching their lips closed.

Anonymous

Now that she looked at him more closely with a clearer mind not muddled by senseless fear, she realized he was actually... well, quite handsome. It seemed like such a waste for a good-looking man such as himself to waste away in a place like this. She mentally panicked a little, hoping he really couldn't hear her thoughts...

When he showed the scar on his throat, she felt a strange, small chill of familiarity... It passed quickly though, and she moved her eyes up to his, smiling a bit meekly. His voice sounded gentle in her mind, and somehow it didn't creep her out or put her on edge like she'd imagined it would... Or, well, she supposed it did a little, but only because it was so new and strange to her. The mans voice itself wasn't harsh or gruff, clear and somehow comforting.

"That must have been some ordeal..." she murmured softly, unconsciously touching a hand to her own throat. She'd had a brutal customer when she was younger that had carried a fetish for strangulation, and left her with an immense dislike of others touching her throat or neck for any reason. She suffered it for the job, but it did put a damper on things at times... The idea of taking such a wound there, just sent goosebumps all over her.

"My name is Eden Kaimelar," she answered to his question with a more tender smile. "And... I'm afraid I've never come to a place like this in my life before, far from it," she said, giving a small glance around them. "I didn't come here for healing, or enlightenment... and I think I'd be much too nervous with one of your so-called 'better priests'," she paused thoughtfully, an enigmatic smirk on her lips as she raised a finger to tap against them, but it slipped away to a rather hopeless, sheepish smile. She could try to play coy all she wanted, but the fact remained, "and to be honest, I am kind of lost, so I'd be more than happy for your company."

For a moment she'd nearly slipped back into work-mode, without even thinking about it. It hurt a little, to think that she had become like that... Searching out anything that looked like an opportunity -in other words, any man that approached her- and flipping on some subconscious seductress. Here, she found herself caught somewhere between the prostitute and the person... and it felt like the latter was a stranger. In this place, no one would approach her like they might on the streets, right? That'd be blasphemous or something. And the priests weren't interested in that sort of thing... Though, if they were half as good-looking as this one it really was a pity.

Anonymous

There was a shrug to her comment and he let his eyes drift close momentarily, his lips pursing as he gently trailed his fingers along the scar, shivering at the sensation of calloused fingers against sensitive flesh. ' It was a push in the right direction. ' The push that made him run here, clasping his throat, bleeding. It wasn't his preferred direction, but it kept his soul clean of violence and hate. Something that was hard to come by outside of Sanctuary.

Of course, there was hate here too, no one was perfect, but it went away soon enough.

His eyebrows moved upwards when she said she'd never been here. It was... Sanctuary. Everyone knew about Sanctuary. An amused smile drew at his lips and he felt it pull into something more, a smile was on his face, lighting up his features and he gave her a smile before schooling his features into one that looked like something neutral. Something more appropriate for a priest.

Nothing licked his lips and watched her for a moment before trying not to smile again. ' Eden. That's a lovely name. I... ' Nothing trailed off and frowned for a moment, looking away, how exactly would explain a name like his? Nothing wasn't really his name, he had a real one, the one his mother gave him, but he couldn't really use that, it was poisoned and dark things clung to it like mould. ' I am called Nothing. '

Still sounded weird. Even after years and years, calling yourself Nothing tasted strange on his... Mind. ' I'd be more than happy to accompany you. ' He held out a hand and gently put it on her shoulders, not pushing, just gently resting against her shoulder blades, his hand warm. ' Would you like to see the dragon? ' He moved his other hand and pointed towards a canopy of green, white bone peeking through, his sleeve was long and when he put it back down it nearly brushed the ground.

Anonymous

"Everything happens for a reason, hm?" She repeated the old saying with a smile, and a hint of disbelief. Though in his case that did seem to be the case, so she couldn't completely discredit it. She watched his reaction when she said she'd never been here before, how he seemed to momentarily brighten up, before settling himself into a calm. Eden could relate to that, she felt... More than enough times she'd felt the powerful rise of emotions, not always good, that she had to quickly suppress in the workplace. She was glad, though, that she seemed to please him somehow.

His name was peculiar, to say the least... Nothing? For a moment after he'd 'said' it, she looked perplexed, though she quickly caught on to what he'd meant. She smiled a little at the compliment though, and that the name seemed oddly... 'right'. If not for his ability to talk into a persons mind, had someone asked his name the only response they might have got was... Nothing.

"Thank you, that's quite the interesting name you've got, yourself," she said with an undertone of amusement. She caught the way he'd seemed briefly off-put by introducing himself, but didn't think there was any reason for it herself, save of course one she couldn't understand. "An easy one to remember, for sure, especially when I meet a lot of people on a daily basis," she added with a small wave of her hand, smiling. Ah, that was right... She didn't have any intentions of discussing her work here, in a place like this. Really, she hoped a guy like him wouldn't have any idea what a place like Peaches'n'Cream was, but that felt like a hope in vain.

Her eyes widened a little as he made a suggestion for their destination, wondering again briefly if he could, indeed hear her thoughts. Her stomach swirled a little, though not in a particularly sickening way. As her eyes followed his gesture to where she could see the white bone sticking out, she felt like a dunce for not noticing it before, her breath stolen for a moment in anticipation.

"Yes, I'd love to!" Her voice came out a bit more enthused than she'd intended, and she clapped her hands over her mouth in embarrassment, the tone in her cheeks attempting to match the red of her eyes. "I... was actually trying to head there myself," she explained in a softer voice, accompanied by a small, sheepish laugh, "but ended up sorely disoriented."

Anonymous

It was nice to talk to someone who wasn't here just for themselves. It was nice. Unusual, most of the people who came here gave offers to the faeries or were here to ask questions that Nothing couldn't begin to comprehend. He'd given up his life for this place, and over the years he'd grown amazed at how selfish people were. How he'd been so selfish. Nothing resisted the urge to pet at one of her ears, finding it unpolite, so he kept his hands in a loose fist inside his long sleeve.

"I chose my name for myself. I am... Nobody here. Just another face. There will be one person who remembers me when I'm gone, and perhaps people will wonder where that priest with the long hair went." He gave a slow nod, "But other than that, I am nothing." He smiled at her, tilting his head to the side before taking a deep breath and closing his eyes. "A lot of people?" Nothing looked at her and rose an eyebrow before he went quiet and looked away.

Her enthusiasm made him grin widely but he didn't bother hiding it this time. Instead he just grinned at her and nodded ahead. "It's easy to get lost. While you always know where you are, you can come across small creeks. Hedges." Nothing moved his hand to her elbow and gently clasped it, " I can take you. Though I imagine it's quite active. Sunset is quieter, as is dawn." Nothing looked away for a moment, "I have a cousin, unfortunately his job keeps him from visiting here early morning or in the evening. It's the most lovely here at those times." The priest began to walk, slowly, escourting her with his hand gently pressed against her arm, "You should visit then if you want to see the bones up close with few people."

Anonymous

As he explained the reasoning behind his name, she listened intently, ears perked. So focused was she that she didn't quite notice how her expression had fallen slightly, a small twisting knot in her stomach at the idea... Nothing. She looked down at the ground in front of her, realizing she was much the same.

"I can understand... people might ask what happened to the fox-girl for a few days, but eventually..." her voice was soft, thoughtful. Eventually she'd just fade away completely. "Out of sight, out of mind." She shook her head as he made mention of her comment about meeting a lot of people. "I just have a... particularly social sort of job... Very busy."

When he smiled at her though, she brightened back up considerably. It figured that this was probably the worst time to actually come around... but it wasn't like she normally had a whole lot of free time to herself. The evening was almost unquestionable, and the morning, well, that was time for recuperation and preparation.

"Hmm, days off are rare, like today, but I'll have to try to make a point of coming earlier." She said thoughtfully, though she wondered if she didn't have enough time now to see at lest the early moments of the sunset... "Even with so many people coming through, it must be quite peaceful here on a day-to-day basis... If I were your cousin I think I'd envy you... Aheh, or maybe I do anyway." She laughed at herself, blushing a little. "That might seem a little... presumptuous of me, though..."

Tags: