Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A nightcap. (finished)

Started by Anonymous, June 15, 2010, 11:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

It was a slow evening at this one particular tavern, which sat on the precipice of the neighbourhoods belonging to the upper and middle classes. Perhaps, however, that was because evening was long gone. Now it was onding on the wee hours of the morning, and even the most dedicated alcoholics were out in the gutter or at home working up a good hangover. Those who wenched, if fortunate, had retired to the inn or brothel with their respective clients; the less fortunate few still lingered, pouty, drunk or stupid from smoking narcotics, with their skirts hitched up to their garters.

This was the time that Nettle liked best. Her daily duties were complete and exhaustion had not yet overwhelmed her; now she could unwind and rest her feet a little, and there was no need to worry about having to duck a fight because the brawlers were too drunk or sleepy to cause much of a rumpus. Sipping a glass of hot water with sour liquor added, the little blonde was beginning to work up a nice little buzz to go along with her usual smug satisfaction at a night well spent.

The barmaids and tavernkeeper ignored her, which suited her just fine. Her drink was still more than half full, and although the fire on the ruddy hearth now burned low for economy, it had been blazing so long that the barren area before it was deliciously toasty. Nor was there anyone else to bother her; the only patrons where those unfortunate whores and the occasional man passed out at the bar or a table, leaving the antlered armchairs before the fire open for the taking. In one of these Nettle was curled as though in her own parlor, with her dingy boots slightly aside and her small frame dwarfed by the massive article of furniture.

There was, of course, the matter of Outside, which was rather unfortunate in any case and especially so considering the pleasantness of the interior of the tavern. Outside it was raining, coming down in sheets which hissed furiously on the cobbles and made even a jaunt seem like a journey to a watery grave. Of course Nettle would be expected back at the castle in the morning whatever the weather, and that meant an excursion might be necessary if the storm didn't let up. For now, she tried not to think about that.

Anonymous

Amkus swung the door in lowering his cowl that seemed to have been dunked in water. "Whoo I'll say you folks know rain I'm guessing!" Amkus walked to a table that didn't have a drunk sleeping on it. He laid his bow on the back of his chair and his sword on the ground. Lifting a case he flicked the latchs off. He opened it and pulled out his vitos he sighed when he saw the scratched and dented instrument had taken some water. He plucked the strings that twang angerliy curseing he put the vitos away.

"What can I get you sir." Amkus looked up to a bar maid. "Well beautiful are you on tap?" He smirked as he looked at the selection." Hmm just a rum and some bread." Amkus tossed his feet onto the table as he looked around drunks asleep, whores pouting for not getting a suitor.

"Here you are sir a rum and your bread." The bar maid slid the food and drink to him. "Thank you love here is a few silver pieces. Keep whatever is left after you take the tab." He handed the pouch the lady with a smile.

Anonymous

He probably SHOULD have not traded shifts with his friend.

Rain was coming down like the Gods had just began to weep. He was told that it was only going to sprinkle, that there was just going to be a small dash of rain, that's why he hadn't cared about taking on the night shift. He had been patrolling the streets for almost seven hours now, all of it had been in the rain as well. How bothersome was that? Luckily he had his cloak, which his mother had graciously made for him. An absolute thick wool cloak that helped to repel water. At least he had dressed in layers as well, including his metal half plate armour. He was warm enough in it, but he still didn't like the rain anyway. Not when there was this much that he could do about it anyway. He couldn't control the weather.

The young guard looked somewhat like a drowned armoured rat as he pushed his way into the tavern. He wasn't a bad looking fellow as he pulled the hood of his cloak down, his incredibly bright green eyes flashing. They were inhuman looking, since they were completely green, no white irises, though there were black spots...and large black slits which were the pupils. His short brown hair was mostly dry, though it was sticking together and was slicked down by the moisture. In one gauntleted hand he held a halberd with tassells in the nations colours hanging from it. He wasn't an incredibly big looking man, he didn't have a broad set of shoulders or a large face with a set jaw...he looked just...normal, almost inconspicuous. No doubt if he wasn't wearing the outfit of the guard, people wouldn't think twice about him.

Then he grinned as he looked around the tavern.

He had the most...dangerous looking teeth. They appeared to have been filed into sharp gnashing fangs. It looked as if he could do some serious damage to someone if he decided to attack anyone with them. However, most were usually calmed by the fact that he had a guard uniform on.

The guard wandered over to a table with a man who had drank too much. The guard swatted the man in the side with the blunt end of his halberd. "Up you get drunkard, time to get home." The man started in his sleep, wearily waking up and rubbing his eyes, muttering something before walking off out into the rain. The guard just grinned as he sat his halberd on the table and sat where the man had been. "And what can I get you, Guard?" A serving girl asked him as she walked by. "The largest, and I mean largest stein of ale...a great big bowl of stew, and a loaf of bread." The guard said as he took out some coin and gave it to the serving girl, who nodded and smiled, running off to fetch his food and drink.

He let his eyes wander across the tavern floor, and at the same time...some would feel an alien presence brush across them, as if a light hand were touching the back of their necks...or if some were more trained, they'd know that someone was brushing across their minds.

Anonymous

As she allowed the sour solution to burn the back of her throat yet again, Nettle became aware of a disruption to the peace and quiet of this tavern, her tavern. Pursing her lips, she set her drink down on the ground and rose to stand on her knees on the chair, subtley peering around the back of it to lay a discerning eye on the pub's newest inhabitant.

Fortunately, the enormous armchair gave her enough cover that the bar at large couldn't see her even if she were sober, and that allowed her some comfort in knowing that the flamboyant man at the bar would not likely approach her. He was a minstrel, she decided immediately, given his instrument--no, a bard, or even a fool, given his nature. Nor a very good one, if he had allowed his instrument to get wet. It was possible he was already in his cups a bit, since he seemed just a bit too jovial; if she were lucky, he would prove to be in that lucid state of extreme cheer just before swooning from overconsumption.

The next person to arrive got much the same treatment, as Nettle leaned to peek around the other edge of the chair. His occupation was clear, as the barmaid addressed him as such. He was youngish, probably middle class and had likely just finished a long shift, if his appetite was any indicator. Furthermore...

The hairs on the back of Nettle's neck stood on end, inspiring an immediate feeling of alarm. Hunching her shoulders, she turned quickly around and pressed her back against the back of the armchair, waiting for the unpleasant feeling to pass. It was not unfamiliar to her, having had her mind gently probed in such a way before, and yet it never failed to put her in an irritable mood.

Anonymous

"There goes another great member of the grand Serendipity." Amkus mutters as he gives the drunk a salute as he walks out into the rain. leaves his bow sword and case at the table as he goes to the hearth to dry his leather before it grew damp and uncomfortable. It burning low still gave off a minor heat a good heat to dry the would and strings.

Amkus got a uneasy feeling as if something was amidst, He swung his head around to check if some whore didn't take his sword and bow. No just his mind being cautious,Amkus plucked the Vitos' strings the charming sound he was used to plinked out.He drew his bow within a blink of time the dusty tired tavern had a light bounceing song.

The song was representing a grand war long ago with low tones to signal calavery chargeing. A tune that could bring joy to people or sadness, this was all the chooseing of the bard Amkus felt that the tavern could use some joy. He skiped around and clicked his heels as he flirted and teased with bar maids who were growing bored with no one to serve.

Anonymous

"Yes, I know." The guard murmured, almost as if he were talking to some unknown companion. Of course, to most of the patrons he was alone, but they couldn't see the subtle beyond. His meal was brought to him quickly by the barmaid, who gave him a rather friendly smile. The guard's own smile was a bit unnerving to her, but he had to give her credit, she didn't falter even a little as she thanked him and told him to call her if he needed anything. He even got a name, Annais. Unlike most men however, she wouldn't be called upon...his desire for her was minuscule.

"It's your fault I think. Quit playing, once in a while a pretty girl would be nice." The guard chatted almost casually loud to himself as he began to devour his food. Watching him eat was like watching a man who hadn't eaten in a month. The food was practically inhaled, the thick stew, though hot and steaming, was devoured without care. The loaf of bread was ripped into by his sharp teeth. He did watch the bard as he began to play a little song for the inhabitants. He winced once in a while, hearing the vitos' strings were just a little out of tune, no doubt from the fact that they were damp.

However, the song wasn't a really bad one, he had never heard it before either, which was quite nice! The guard rather liked songs that he hadn't heard before. His meal was finished quickly, and he kicked his boots up to listen to the music of the bard, just enjoying the song. He didn't close his eyes though, he just...listened to the man's song, his foot swinging left and right in a steady rhythm.

There was that little brush again...ever so slight, like a cat rubbing against you, curious and yet...attentive. The source however, was no doubt easy to guess...as it had started when the guard wandered in off his shift.

Anonymous

If a mind could be related to an ecosystem, Nettle's would be a tropical jungle: hot and humid and lush, with a haze of thoughts so thick as to be nearly edible. It was also treacherous; every second that she was subjected to that unwarranted caress, the fertile ground of her brain grew sharper, angrier, hotter. This was not how she had intended to spent her well-deserved rehabilitation from the day's grind.

The music! The music made the entire situation somehow worse, as though some little sprite were siting behind her eyeball and twanging her optic nerve with every chord. Peace and quiet, damn it! Peace and quiet! This was neither, and in the worst possible way. For a second she squeezed her eyes shut and attempted to block out the aggravating external stimuli; unfortunately, however, both sound and sensation were well beyond her eyelids.

Rising to her feet, Nettle picked up her goblet, now half full of the warm water-and-drink solution she had been nursing, and moved into the general vicinity of the guard. His looks were positively outlandish, even moreso than her own, and that told her that the fae presence in him was very strong; he must be some kind of mindmage, for that awful mental combing had begun on his entrance to the tavern. Without being asked, Nattle took a seat directly opposite him at the table and leaned toward him, her knuckles white around her mug and her wide eyes mercilessly seeking his.

"If you do not stop immediately," she told him clearly, her deceptively calm voice teeming with supressed emotion, "I will empty this perfectly good drink into your lap and then grind my heel into your instep."

Anonymous

Amkus finished on a light note,did a half hearted bow,and went back to his seat. He laid the Vitos down on the table. He bit into the bread and had a sip of his now warm ale. "Still better then what they make back home."

He smirked as he sat and closed his eye hearing mutters his ears pricked. He peaked on eye to the table with the guard, and some women Amkus thought she was most likely a whore trying to get one last suitor. He chuckled a little loud and went back to his resting.

Dispite his better wishes he couldn't keep his nose out of the mans buisness, he tried to forget about and went to flirt with the women at the bar. "That was wonderful sir we never got your name though what is it." He smiled at the bar maid. "You may call me Amkus, I'm guessing your name is beautiful." The women blushed as he bowed. "Well thank you for the compliment milady. Come see me at the table if you'd like to talk more."

Anonymous

And suddenly the soothing music was gone, and with it, his peace and quiet. Strange how for him, the somewhat off-key music was his peace, and not everyones. He started picking his teeth with a somewhat sharp looking fingernail, rather oblivious to most people around him. Once in a while he would wince and close his eyes for a second. "Would you sit still, or make the pain lessen at least?" The guard muttered as he looked down to his chest while talking. How rude some creatures could be! Usually they got along so well but now...now things weren't going that well. Must have been the alcohol, damned thing hated the stuff, didn't hurt it, but hated it just the same.

Then there was another discomfort. A woman came up to him! In this part of town, that wasn't too unusual, they either were asking for help, or wanted a good rutting. The former he would help with, the latter he always declined. He wasn't that kind of person after all! Not with...not with those kind of women anyway. She stared into his eyes, and he stared back, a somewhat creepy grin on his face. She seemed agitated. He was off duty though, so things were alright. He could act as strange as he wanted to.

"The drink I wouldn't mind...but the heel thing is kind of painful sounding...then again, I'm not sure I remember pain." The guard scratched the the underside of his chin for a moment. Did he feel pain? The creature did so well at stopping it, he couldn't remember. He just shrugged. "I apologize for him though, he's a curious little thing, and likes to just...worm his way around. He's absolutely harmless...but he must find you interesting." The guard told the woman as he sat up, grinning at her all the while still. He loved to talk about his condition to people, because most didn't understand it really. He was a great guard however, and it's not like he could do any worse than the manticore who was a guard.

"Apologies, I am Guard Neilson. Where are my manners. I shall try to keep him under control but...he does as he pleases usually." Neilson said with a wave of his hand. As if on cue, there was that brushing again, though, this time it was a little less aggressive, it was almost a caress as if to say "I'm sorry" in the only way that it could.

Anonymous

Ah! Well, that explained things much more fully. The guardsman was utterly mad, and that was why he muttered to himself and spoke of an invisible friend, and complained one moment of pain and the next of being numb to it. Narrowing her eyes suspiciously, the girl drew back slightly in her chair and pushed her drink aside, examining Neilson with a medley of wariness and curiosity.

Curiosity, however, was not an acceptable excuse for stupidity. This man was larger than her, clearly unstable, and possessed both armor and weaponry that she did not. Not the type of person she wanted after her, if it came down to it. Hastily fumbling with the deep pockets of her dull brown dress, she located a silver coin to compensate for her drink and let it spin on the table, then moved to touch the sharp lady's eating knife that she carried on her belt. She briefly reflected that thrusting it into the prominent point of a man's throat, then jerking it upwards would be likely to kill him quickly.

At that moment, the touch of mind against mind again invaded her skull. It was unpleasant, almost painful, to have another presence inside of her brain, and she was already worked up into the paranoid frenzy of a small girl caught alone at night in a tavern with a large man who seemed to have a tenuous grasp on his sanity at best and did not stop molesting her mind when she told him to.

Giving him one last reproachful look, she got to her feet and moved swiftly for the door and out into the hard rain beyond.

Anonymous

If people knew the truth, they might not think him mad, but they might not think much of him after that. A guard had a few duties, mostly to the people of the city and to the country. Neilson was no different, and even his superiors knew that. Of course, off duty was a bit of a different matter. It wasn't as if he just abandoned his duties, but he was a lot more relaxed when it came to them. This woman however didn't seem to like him, and for a person like Neilson, who enjoyed having people look up to him and admire him for keeping the streets safe...well...it kind of hurt.

Neilson's eye twitched for only a moment as the being within his body began to react to something. Something that he didn't know, something that it knew but didn't share with him. It knew of the woman's fantasy and desire to put her knife between his neck, something that even it couldn't protect him from. However, the hype and excitement was too much and the creature couldn't relay a warning to its host. However, that wasn't important as the woman started to depart.

He gawked for a second, processing what had happened before he stood up, flipping his hood up and grabbing his halberd. He had spoiled her evening! As a guard, and a bit of a gentleman, that was really uncalled for, and now he should do his best to rectify the situation! Quickly he went out after the woman. "You behave yourself, or I'm eating nothing but spicy foods for a week." He muttered darkly to the creature inside of him, who squirmed unpleasantly. "Miss! Wait up! Stop!" He called after her, his armour clinking and clanging as he ran to catch up with her. Once in range he grabbed her by the shoulder and spun her about.

"You have to believe me, I have little control over him." Now that they were out in the darkness, one could see his eyes glowed with an unnatural light. "I apologize, let me buy you another drink, and I will keep him from bothering you. He's just curious, and he doesn't know any better." He explained quickly as he reached up to pull at the armour around his neck and shoulders. He didn't like to show people it, they got freaked out by it, so he just decided to readjust the armour at first. He could show her later if she so choose, but for now, he'd just keep referring to it.

Much safer that way.

Anonymous

The clanging and clashing of the armor stirred Amkus out of his beauty sleep." Hmm what time is it?" He saw the armored guard run out but for what. He looked over at his table and saw the women had left quickly as well. He lifted his cowl and fallowed the man peaking from behind the door he heard the man his eyes easily seen in the dark yelling.

"I apologize, let me buy you another drink, and I will keep him from bothering you. He's just curious, and he doesn't know any better." He said,

With a smirk of Amkus' thin lips,he walked back to his table grabbed his vitos and reopen the door stay inside not to get it wet. "Hmm a song for the love birds.Please try and stay intune you little brat." Amkus chuckled at his vitos as he began as soft lullaby to compliment the man's apologies.

In his drowsy haze Amkus had lulled himself into a fade in the doorway now swaying with each chord that came out. "Oh Amkus what you will do for love, and the love of others."

Anonymous

If it touched her mind now, it would find a rich culture of emotion. Very, very real fear, as thick and heady as cologne, choking out all other response of feeling and overshadowing even panic. Like a trapped hare, her heart pounded in her chest and her ears and her feet sprang against the wet cobbles.

This man, this strange man who had frightened her, who had touched her mind so intimately without her permission, had chosen to rise from his table and follow her into the darkness, then chase her down and physically restrain her. When she looked into his strange, lamplike gaze, her own eyes were as wide and wild as the aforementioned lapine's, her lips parted, her brow drawn in abject terror. The possibility of rape or assault by this bigger, stronger man was now very real, and every word he spoke was completely drowned out by the rush of blood in her head.

Stupid, stupid, stupid Scryer, whispered a voice in the back of her head. You brought this on yourself, you silly chit. Lay your faith in the men of this city to leave you to yourself, and they will hunt you like the brainless mouse you are.

Emboldened and strengthened by adrenaline and fear, she did the only thing she could think of: she grabbed his fingers from her shoulder and bent them back with all her might, hoping to hear the sound of breaking bone. Perhaps, just maybe, the pain would distract him long enough for her to escape.

Anonymous

The creature dare not reach its mind out again toward the woman, out of fear that there would be retribution against the host. After all, she was very much against it touching her mind, and she even thought about stabbing Neilson in the neck! It wanted to avoid the pain that could be inflicted on its host, as this woman was a little..unstable. Neilson of course, had no idea, the creature decided not to share that with him, just in case it made things tense for him.

Then there was that strange...sound. Someone playing music. Why was all of this happening? The woman seemed afraid, completely afraid of him for some reason. Didn't she see his armour? The armour of a guard of Arca? The insignia of the kingdom on his shoulder pads? The fact he carried a halberd? Could she not see any of this? It was a strange wonder that she had no idea who he was, or what he was.

Suddenly his fingers were being bent the wrong way. What the hell was going on?! All he could do was to kneel and twist, trying to avoid his fingers from being bent painfully in the wrong direction. "Ah! Stop! Miss! I'm a Guard! A guard of Arca! Don't you see the damned insignia?! Please just stop!" It wasn't that they hurt...but he knew that his fingers could still break, and if they were set improperly they could be ruined and useless and he would not have.

"I'm a guard! I swear! Just stop!"

Anonymous

Amkus stoped the song when he heard yelling something about being a guard but they were yells of question, something was wrong those weren't loveing sounds. He eft the vitos at the door and went into the rain. He fallowed the green light,he then stopped dead in his tracks to what he saw.fifthteen feet away from him was the couple it looked as if they were fighting but the man seemed to be just defending himself.

Amkus slowly started to regret not bringing his sword if not his bow. He shook his head no it was too late he had to try and help the women or maybe even help the man.

"Hey you two it's the middle of the night, what are you two doing at this hour?" On closer inspecrion he saw the women was trying to free herself, what did she fear rape from a guard couldn't be unless this Serendipity had truely gone to the dogs.

Anonymous

Clearly he was a guard. That much was incredibly clear; she was no blind woman. He was addressed as such, and the armor he wore made the rest perfectly clear. But actions spoke louder than appearances, and Nettle had heard too many stories of guardsmen who took liberties with the women they were supposed to protect. This man had shown himself to be nothing but dismissive of her desire not to be touched by his mind, and on top of that appeared to suffer some sort of dual personality or other such mental affliction. He was a threat regardless of the insignia, and she had to get away.

Now he was down, and his heavy armor would probably be enough to inhibit him from catching her again. She did not stop, did not think, until the fight-or-flight urge had been fully satisfied; gathering up her skirts and stumbling back, she lifted hateful eyes to the bard who approached them. Here was a man who might have intervened on her behalf, who might have stepped in to help a frightened woman, and he sang a supple song as though her plight meant nothing to him.

This whole city was burning mad.

Turning tail, she ran as far and as fast as she could from the two men, sparing not even the energy to scream from her rapid sprint.

Anonymous

Amkus saw man drop and the women dash off. Amkus had to know what was wrong he bolted after the women jumping over the large puddles but still hitting the majority of them. "Stop miss I don't think the man is chaseing you or you would hear!" The women was fast and had the head start whoever she was she didn't want Amkus to catch her.

Ducking for shelter he remembered he left all his belongings in the tavern. "Thire most likely all stolen by now blast it." Well no reason not to keep on the the hunt. He ran down the long road. "Milady I have no quail with you I just wish to serve the greater good. I wan to help!" He couldn't see his hand if held it out.

He blindly ran bumping into a guard and landing in a puddle drenching his clothes. "Watch it you drunk halfling trash!" The guard exclaimed obivously a few drinks to the wind. "My deepest regrets sir." Amkus muttered as he began to walk off the guard grabed his shoulder turned him around a with a cross jab across his face sneered. "You better be!" Pushing Amkus off to stagger after the girl.

This is what happens when you help people you get punched and beaten. Amkus spit on the ground and staggered off determined to find this blasted women.

Anonymous

This night was not going as it should have been.

On some level really, Neilson was sure that he sounded absolutely insane, and he wished that he had done things a little differently. Like...oh he wasn't even sure. No one really understood that he had something living inside of him, with a mind of its own. No one could really understand it until he explained it to them...and no one really wanted him to explain it. Sometimes this city was just a bunch of weirdness. Right now he was on his knees, arm bent in a weird angle to stop his fingers from being broken. He was a guard! How could someone possibly do this to him! A guard of all things!

The woman took off at high speeds...and strangely enough, the bard was in pursuit.

Neilson just spat a curse, more to himself as he held onto his hand and stood up. It was NOT worth it. Let the crazy broad think what she wanted, but now he felt grumpy. It was funny really, he hoped she appreciated the fact that he didn't simply hit her with the halberd. He could have done that too, simply disabled her with a halberd and be done with it. However, he did not. He was too nice to do that.

Yes. That's what he was.

Neilson carefully examined his hand, uncaring about the bad weather. He just headed back to the tavern to get something to drink, and to eat some more food. The little creature wasn't completely full, and personally he wanted to have a little more ale, or perhaps wine.

Just something to stop this night from looking so...bad.

Anonymous

((Thanks for playing, boys. It's been a slice. <3))