Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bound By Destiny

Started by Anonymous, May 17, 2005, 01:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

A nine-foot humanoid alligator rounded the corner just in time to see Covallok slithering toward the inn.  He was wearing light chain and a breastplate under a plain brown robe.  A red-feathered guard was strapped to his left shoulder, and a huge sword hung on his back.  So it was true.  He picked up his pace and called out, "Covallok?"

Anonymous

Ah, good. She found an Inn. Hopefully, they will allow me to stay for the night. When Atura mention that she could pay for both of us, I couldn't help but smile in her direction. Her courtesy is much appretiated. If there's any way to pay her back...
Wait, that voice! It couldn't be. Not in this world. I turn to the source of my name being called to see a nine foot humanoid alligator lumbering in our direction. It is! He must have been transported to this world too. This is most pleasing to see an old friend is here too.
"Gorthen?! Is that really you?" I call out to scaled alchemist.

Anonymous

"Surely, it is.  For a while, I thought I was the only one who had been taken here, but maybe there are others of our group in this world, as well.  Never would I have imagined that such a climactic reaction could cause something like this to happen.  However, now that I think about it, it was essentially the same as my harp portal spells..." the alligator began to ponder magical theory.

Anonymous

Oh no. He got started again. When he starts speaking in theoretical terms, he always loses me. Slash my understand him sometimes, but I'm always lost when it comes to Gorthen, whether it be magical or alchemic talk.
"Gorthen. What on this Earth are you talking about? I'm not understanding what you're getting at or hardly where we're at for that matter." I speak up so that he could shine some light on the situation.

Anonymous

Momentarily distracted, Gorthen looked to his old companion, "Don't you remember how we got here?  I'll admit, even I am not certain as to where we ended up, but I didn't think the injury you sustained would have been enough to disorient you this much.  I'm glad to see my wounds weren't the only ones healed during the crossover.  What's the last thing you remember?"

Anonymous

Crossover? Injury? What in the world was Gorthen talking about? Nothing is making any sense to me. At least I half expect Slash to help fill in the blanks. No word from him though.
"Remember? Well, we recently finished the marvelous journey from the beautiful Celestial Valley. From there, we were going to rest up and head to the Fountain of Youth, but I woke up from my sleep in this place." I explain as best as I could. At least that's what I've come to believe what has happened.

Anonymous

Gorthen blinked in surprise, "You truly do have a knack for losing your memory, my friend.  The Fountain of Youth was a simple acquisition, and a welcome one after its waters shaved off near-on 25 years of my life, but that was nearly two months ago.  If you remember our plans before we set off for it, the fountain was a convenient detour to our next target.  Lorya's temple at the edge of the Ingyar Plains was our next destination.  When we arrived, we had Lorya call her patron goddess before us so that I could ask for a few tears.  Initially, she refused me, but it was during this time that an undead being simultaneously calling himself Banefaust and Terror appeared.  He attacked us, and never have I seen such a powerful being.  It was all we could do to survive, but impossible for everyone.  Lorya was killed by the horrible creature; her very life leeched away.  Laughing, the fiend left us to mourn.

"However, fool that I am, I didn't want to believe that my closest friend was lost to us.  I beseeched the goddess for her tears.  With the reagents we'd gathered already, I believed I could create a shortcut ambrosia, not granting pure godhood, but creating in Lorya the power of an avatar and, hopefully, bringing her back to life.  This time, she agreed.  As I mixed the ingredients, I heard your Slash telling the rest of the group that he sensed in Banefaust the same spirit, perhaps the Terror, that his father had told us of in the Land of the Dead.  He thought that Terror was the thing that had destroyed yours and my villages.  When I finished the small dose of partial ambrosia, I gave it to Lorya.  

"To all our horror, she awakened violently and began turning to undead.  It was then that our ears were assaulted by the laughter of Banefaust, back again to gloat.  Lorya went to him; there was nothing any of us could do to stop her.  Her incubus master called, she told us.  Just as abruptly as he'd arrived, they both left."  Gorthen had slowly been growing emotional, and he wiped a tear from his alligator eye, "I remember breaking down, then, for the first time since childhood.  It was all my fault.  I asked the goddess what had gone wrong.  Respecting my grief, she observed the ingredients I'd used and told me solemnly that the seeds I'd used weren't from the Tree of Life like we'd originally thought.  If they had been, she agreed that my plan would have worked.  It was by luck that the goddess held Lorya deeply in her heart, and felt grace enough to tell me a means to redeem myself.  She told me about a different potion I could mix that might restore Lorya from undeath.  It would require some of the sacred nectar we'd gathered from the Celestial Valley, a powdered vampire fang and an angel's feather dissolved in hydra acid, and, finally, a golden dragon scale.

"Pushing aside my emotion, I thanked the goddess and led us all to where we might begin collecting this new set of reagents.  Shortly after obtaining the vampire's fang, we ran into a group that you vouched for, led by a woman named Drakona.  We learned from her that she was actually in this country to track down the dragon sire of her tribe east of the Nevrean Sea.  There was unrest in her village, and she was supposed to alert the dragon of the situation.  He happened to be a gold dragon, so we offered to help her out.  She would be the only way any of us would be able to find a gold dragon, since she had a ring that would lead her to him.  The hardest reagent would be easily acquired with her help.

"It was shortly after our joining that Lorya and Banefaust came again as we were passing through a small village.  They both attacked us, which was far more devastating than just Banefaust.  Lorya had still gained the power of an avatar from my potion.  During this conflict you were injured and had to retreat into one of the buildings.  Come to think of it, it might have been a head injury, so you may have passed out.  Lorya still had her white magic, and was using it to attack.  RenDe, of all people, was countering her with his black magic.  They were pushing enormous blasts of white and black power between them.  I'm still not sure what I was thinking, but I threw a blast of earth magic into the fray.  The next thing I can remember was being in an enormous explosion of magical energy.  I think the maelstrom of opposed forces ripped a hole in space that sucked some of us through.  As I was saying, this is generally how I created my harp gates, so I can kind of understand why.  I have no idea how many of us wound up here from our group.  You are the first person I've seen."  Gorthen finished his recount of past but recent events with a sigh.  He looked at Covallok, "Is it coming back at all?  I can't imagine why Slash may have forgotten."  Despite the sad story, he grinned slightly, "Unless he decided to be lazy and leave the explanation up to me."

Anonymous

Though my memory is atrocious, it is rather sad to hear of the events that had occured. I can't believe I forgot everything. Lorya... She never did anything wrong. Why has such a fate befallen her? Another thought passes my mind at the time. I wonder if Drakona was one that has crossed into this new world. I wonder if I will be able to see her again. When Gorthen brought up the bit about Slash, I couldn't help but look up at him with a slight smirk.
"Actually, the magic essence of the attack that made Covallok lose his memory affected me as well. Never thought something of that calibur would happen." Slash finally speaks out loud from my body. That's very odd indeed. Was it Lorya's magic perhaps?

Anonymous

Gorthen ran a hand across the bottom of his long jaw and thought aloud, "That makes sense, I suppose."  Still, now that he'd told the story, Covallok should begin to remember events by himself.  He looked at his friend, "I'm hardly embarrassed to admit it, but I don't know what to do from here.  If you're here, than others may be as well.  However, this place is as new and strange to me as I'm sure it is to you.  I have no idea how to go about locating any of our other friends, if they're even in this world.  Running into you was purely coincidental."  He sighed, confused by everything, it seemed.  "I've no choice but to defer to you.  What should we do?"

Anonymous

"Well, the night is near and so is an Inn." Slash points out after Gorthen's question before I could say anything. This brings my attention to an entrance to an Inn that is hardly twenty feet away. It probably is a good idea to get some rest before any decision is to be made.
"Slash is right. We've had a rough time. I believe it's best that we rest, before we question our situation. Perhaps that may help my memory a bit as well." I announce as I turn my view to Gorthen. I'm sure he would agree to that.

Anonymous

The alligator sighed heavily and nodded his head.  "There seems to be little else we can do, I'm afraid."  He smiled then, "At least you managed to run into me.  I'm not sure if you have any coin on you, and if they don't take Oblivian money, you'd be in quite a bind.  I've got plenty of non specific valuables to cover inn expenses."  Gorthen, of course, referred to his vast quantities of treasure that he kept in his magical cloak.  Years of treasure hunting tended to contribute to his coffers.  He didn't act like a wealthy person, but life cost money, and it was easier to take it all at once in several places rather than have to worry about getting a job that paid meager sums only periodically.  He led the way into the inn, wondering if he'd ever see the Gryphon's Claw again.

Anonymous

I made sure to follow Gorthen close behind. It was just like him to willingly pay our way into any residents. Makes me wonder what he has done in his free time. Oh well, at least we will be getting some rest for a change. From his explaination of events that have occured, it sounds like it has been a long day. If only I could remember events for myself. At least for now, Gorthen is my memory. Although, I can always rely on Slash. Either way is good.