Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Still Nothing to Show.

Started by Anonymous, September 24, 2010, 02:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Her bare hands slapped the floor with such force it had projected Silence upright and woke her from a deep sleep. Jesus, what the fuck was that? She rubbed the sleep from her eyes, blinked a couple times and saw before her a lake with a river running northeast from where she now sat. There was no recollection of what the dream could have been about, no matter how hard she tried to remember.

It was really nothing to be surprised about. This had been happening for sometime now and each time she would wake with a cold sweat and not remember exactly what the dream was about, but it continued to scare her out of her slumber. It still continued to make her wonder what was so horrifying. Then again, maybe it was best she didn't know.

With a sigh of contempt she rose to her feet and brushed off invisible debris from her pants. It was then she focused on the sounds around her nothing but the rippling water before her and the trees clapping together. Three years of independence and I still have nothing to show for it. Her minded pressed at the idea of going back home, but the lies she would have to continue to hide would be too much, especially when those lies depended on a life, maybe even her own. So she stayed resided in Matron's Hollow like she had been for some time, not quite ready to leave home and not ready to adventure alone.

Silence did a quick once over around the lake to make sure that she was alone before dispersing into tiny atoms floating into the air like mist and coming together in a completely different form of a wolf. Her senses became heighten and she could smell the apple pie sitting in the window of the nearest residence a couple miles west.

This was where she embarked on her journey for food. She knew that the little old lady thought of her as a poor stray dog and was always willing to give her a fresh homemade meal. Over the mountains and through the woods, to grandmothers house we go!!

Rhindeer

"You need to visit more often," Beatrid's mother told her, for not the fifth time during their long goodbye exchange. Goodbyes were never easy with her, and never short; they were long and drawn out and involved much hugging and sobbing--which she was currently doing a lot of, clinging hard to her taller daughter in a bear hug. They had made it all the way to the house's doorway before her mother lost it. "And write. You never write. Would it kill you to write every now and then? Lemme know my girl's okay?"

"Mama, you can't read..." Beatrid mumbled.

"Well, I can hunt down someone who can," came the stubborn reply, and finally she let her go, with obvious reluctance. "So you send word, hear? And be careful out there. Take care of yourself."

"I know, I am..."

That brought on yet another tearful hug, but it was briefer than the others. With a quick kiss on both cheeks, her mother released her. "Now off with you, before the day gets any older. I don't want you traveling in the dark, hear?"

"I know, I won't. Don't worry," Beatrid said, trying not to laugh, and not just because there was plenty of daylight left. Her mother knew what she did, she knew that traveling in the dark was the least dangerous thing she'd done, but she guessed that mothers would always be mothers, whether their child was still a child or an adult, a farmer or a Mordecai. She leaned in and kissed her mother on the cheek. "Tell Jina I'm sorry I missed her."

And then she set off across the yard to mount her horse, Maple, already saddled and bridled earlier, and took off as a canter. And like every time she visited and left, she missed home a little more--but was even more excited to get back to her life.

The tiny village was bustling this time of day, having just woken up, but it grew calmer and quieter and lonelier as she reached the outskirts. Not many people lived out here except those that preferred solitude, like Old Lady Abigail--who had been old even twenty years ago when Beatrid was a child--who was famous for her apple dishes. And she was still at it, if the smells wafting through the air as she passed by were any indication.

Beatrid had gently urged Maple into a trot and had already passed by when the horse caught something on the wind and reacted. She let out a disturbed whinny and resisted going any farther, head tossing, eyes rolling, and nostrils flaring with loud, agitated snorts. "Whoa, girl! Whoa!" She danced in a nervous circle, kicking up dust, while Beatrid tried to rein her in and calm her down, petting her long neck and murmuring soothing words.

That was when she saw it.

A wolf, loping along toward the village.

Well, shit. That'd do it. And where there was one, there would be more--probably looking to grab some livestock, as often happened in these parts.

She'd calmed Maple down as much as she could and now the horse stood frozen in place, sides shuddering with her nervous breathing. Beatrid stroked her slender neck one more time, whispered more (hopefully) calming words, and reached for her pistol, drawing it out and rotating it to full-cock. Then she took aim.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

The heavenly, smell grew stronger with each leap closer to her destination. It became so unbearable, that saliva began dripping from the wolf's muzzle. There was nothing better than Lady Abigail's famous apple pies. The thought brought  to mind her last visit with the kind lady. "The secret is in the bottom of the crust." She bent down and sat the fine piece of delicacy, before her. "Maybe next time you stop by, I'll tell you" She whispered, before she gave Silence a pat on the head and returned from outside.
A jolt of joy sent her ears back, and her tongue to slide to the side of her mouth. The black wolf raced through the trees like an over grown jack rabbit.

Silence was so into her purpose she didn't see the lady that struggled with the spooked horse ahead, nor did she hear the gun being removed from it's holster. Her eyes were clearly set at he front door of Lady Abigail's. When the barrel was seen in the corner of her eye, being point toward her, she pushed all four paws to the ground and stopped to face it. Her hackles rose to the back of her neck and her gums curled up into a "smile" before inching closer to the horse.

It's eyes were wide and dilated with terror, it's nose flared out and stomach heaved with impatience. One  inch closer and it's muscles tensed, she could smell the sweat dripping off of its' flanks. The horse was going to make it's reaction any second. If only that second would come before this woman decided to pull the trigger. Quickly, the wolf lunged at the horse, teeth snaped close to it's forelock, forcing the horse and its rider to make its move. Risking it's own life for another taste of apple pie.