Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Woman Without a Name ((Aderyn!))

Started by CastlesInTheSky, December 18, 2010, 08:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CastlesInTheSky

Abandoned, somewhere beyond the horizons of warm caress of summer breezes and long grasses that were soft to the touch. This was a barren place, a bitter place, but some people had made it their home. The freezing weather and snow did not bother a young woman, sitting next to a rock. It was strange; only a little snow seemed to settle on her, not as much as one would expect. She brushed her fingertips on the snow, and longed to feel it. As a spirit, she couldn't feel much of anything. Only the slightest hints of warm, cold. She had learned that she could touch things and effect them, but weapons just went through her. She was but a ghost of what once was, a woman sitting in the snow in a long white dress and a parasol both suited for warmer lands. She wished for someone to talk to on one hand, but on the other, she thought nobody would wish to speak to her.

Anonymous

North of Hyoite, miles and miles away from any kind of civilization, roamed a man who had made ice his way of life. His name -- Gabriel. An eccentric figure to say the least, because even though the icecaps were filled with furry predators he never bothered to try blending in with the environment. His clothes were mostly black, brown, or dark blue, and his black boots were large and heavy. The only thing about his appearance that did seem to blend in was his hair. Long, white, snowy strands flowed down to the middle of his back, rocked by the wind, hiding half of his face. And his eyes were like the sea he never saw. This barren landscape filled with snow and ice and gusts of wind, had become his home.

On this late afternoon, Gabriel stood astride in front of his dwelling. Scrutinizing it with narrowed eyes, he marked the parts that he wanted to change in his mind. His house was never finished, never complete, there were always things that could be better or more beautiful. But now was not the time. He needed to hunt. He hadn't particularly enjoyed the polar bear meat that had been on the menu for the past three weeks, but it had been worth a try. Back to seals again. Gabriel took up the long spear that was almost completely hidden by the falling snow and inspected its tip. It would be good enough for another prey.

About an hour later, the metal arrowhead was bloodied and the sleigh that was pulled by Gabriel carried the dead body of a young seal. The snowfall was slowly becoming thicker and it was hard to see, but Gabriel knew his way home. However, in the distance he saw something unexpected. His eyes were slits when he tried to see what it was, never pausing once. When he was but thirty feet away, he recognised the object. It was a parasol of sorts, though strangely unaffected by the snow. At first, the parasol seemed to be sitting on a rock by itself, but as Gabriel closed in on it he saw that it did not quite make contact with the stone. Only when he circumcised the rock he could see the bigger picture, finding himself staring at a poorly-dressed woman with long dark hair. Gabriel raised his eyebrows, and studied the woman though he know she had seen him. At first he thought it must be a ghost or something, but it didn't go away when he blinked. Yet she seemed frail, fragile, so much that he was certain he could see right through her if he tried. Finally, he cleared his throat.

"Looking for something, miss?" he asked dryly. A COAT perhaps?

CastlesInTheSky

She turned her head casually as she watched him go by. This man who had appeared from the wall of falling snow stared at her. As he asked the question, she stood, looking at him and brushing a strand of hair from her face. Everything about her seemed faded somehow, like an old picture almost. However, her eyes were still as vibrant as anyone else's, if not more so. She studied him, pausing thoughtfully before answering his question. "Not really...." She sat down again, tilting her head a little and looking at him thoughtfully. "But clearly, you are busy and don't have time for talk, do you..." She looked what seemed to be through him, then looked off into the distance. Her voice was very clear, but soft.

Anonymous

Gabriel stared at her, still frowning. It was not like he was an expert on people, or on what was considered "normal", but even in his role as an outcast he could see this woman was anything but normal.

"Let me just translate that," Gabriel replied, rubbing his temples with his free hand. "Either you mean to get rid of me by assuming I am busy, or your image of men is that they are generally busy and don't have time to talk to women. Given that I would get in the way of either, I should at least pretend I am busy, no?"

He took up his spear again and turned around, facing the direction where he lived. He paused for a second, hesitating. "If you are desperate for a place to seek cover for the upcoming storm, my home is in that direction." He pointed straight ahead of him, and then started walking again. Confused, he shook his head, still not sure whether he had finally gone crazy.

CastlesInTheSky

She chuckled softly at his first statement, but said nothing in reply. It had been ages since she had talked to anyone, and she suspected he hadn't either, comsidering his home. She took her parasol in her hand, twirling it and looking at it absently. Feeling like she should go with him, she came up next to him. The only very strange thing about her movement was that there were no footprints where she was stepping. Then again, it was so snowy that one could hardly notice such things. The winds of the upcoming storm were not as bad as they would be, but still enough to blow away most things sitting on the ground. Her dress was not effected much, it more acted as if it was moving in a little breeze. She said, just loud enough to hear over the winds and snow, "So, why do you live out here, sir?"

Anonymous

Gabriel came to a stop once more and planted his spear in the ground. Then he looked at the woman beside him, how her raven hair was only mildly rocked by the wind, how the snow only settled on her blank skin partially, and how she seemed not to be affected by the cold in any way at all. He pushed a gloved hand through his white hair, locking his gaze on the woman, and his blue eyes were a true match for hers.

"You see," Gabriel started, ignoring her question, "I have quite enough reasons to think I am crazy. And normally, I don't mind that much at all. But now that you show up with the way that you look and act, I am starting to think I could simply be imagining you to have someone to talk to other than myself. So perhaps it would be time for you to enlighten me about what you really are."

He held on firmly to his spear, determined not to move until this apparition explained her purpose.

CastlesInTheSky

She stood still and stared at him as well. It took a moment for her to answer. "...what I really am..?" She looked thoughtful. "That question could go either way, you see. But I will say you're not imagining me." She smiled a little, but it was a bit of a sad smile. "I was human once. But now, I am a spirit. If you don't believe in ghosts, now you've seen one, so I suppose you have to believe now." She let out a light chuckle. "And before you ask, I did not become this way by means of dying. It's a curse, just for me. And I don't know if I have a way to become just a person again." She looked away from him, into the snowy wall that obscured many things beyond.

Anonymous

"Well," Gabriel said, looking ahead of him again, "that was more information than I asked for, but at least now I know I'm not insane."

He pulled his spear out of the ground and moved on, the woman remaining by his side. Through the growing snowfall, he could see his home rise from the snow. Just a few more steps and the place would be in full view. The corner of Gabriels mouth twitched upwards. He never had a chance to see anyone's first impression of his creation, but now that time had finally come.

Up ahead, a giant mountain of ice emerged from the snowy surface of the tundra in the form of a modest palace, cool, white, magnificent. Its spirals reached up to where the dense snow storm allowed the eye to see, rising up from the towers. A brilliant dome formed the basic structure of the edifice, while a huge ice gate with ice knockers protected the owner from any unwanted intruders.  The surface of the building was anything but smooth: instead, every single inch had been carved to create cold frescos, transparent little winged children, cold white ivy and other markings of the most delicate kind.

Gabriel grinned. He might be a master of water, but he still thought no one could make such a master piece. Oh, how he loved himself for his arts!

"Follow me please," he said sternly, masking his triumph brilliantly. With a wave of his hand, the great doors swung open, and they stepped in a surprising oasis of warmth, free of wind, beneath the dome that was supported by huge, circular pillars. Gabriel pushed his dead seal meal to the side and gave his spear to an icy hand that grew from the wall, enclosing itself around the spear until Gabriel decided to use it again.

"Welcome to my humble home," he said then, and took off his coat.

CastlesInTheSky

She was quiet until they reached the place. She looked up, squinting her eyes to see through the snow. If she slept, she would think this is a dream. But no, it was as real as the snow around her. She blinked, then smiled. It was a different sort of smile than before, this smile was lighthearted and astonished partly. She knew he must be proud of his palace, even if he didn't show it outright. She followed him in eagerly, trying to take in everything at once, but it was near impossible. She couldn't help but wonder how long it must've taken him to do all of it.

She turned to him, and said quietly with a smile, "It's like a palace from a storybook, but it's real...and amazing..." She glanced about the room they were currently in with wide eyes. "If you did all this alone, you are quite.....talented."

Anonymous

Gabriel shrugged casually, hiding his pride. "I was not born without talents," he said vaguely while he walked further into the cavernous space. All throughout the room stood huge vases, beautifully shaped and about 5 feet high, filled with delicate, icy roses, complete with thorns and leaves and grains in the leaves. Gabriel picked up the rope of his prey-sleigh and pulled it with him.

"So tell me, do ghosts eat?" he asked nonchalantly while making his way to the kitchen, the entrance to which was on the right side of the entrance hall.

CastlesInTheSky

She smiled nicely at him. "I see. I, however, wasn't so talented as a person." Her eyes wandered around the room and rested on one of the vases. It contained roses, and they were even somehow more beautiful than the real kind. She looked at them in wonder, marveling as to their detail.

She turned to face him when spoken to. She shook her head. "No, I don't eat..." It had been so long since she had eaten as a person. She almost wished to feel hungry, because of the tastes. It was a strange thing; as a human, nobody wants to be hungry, but as a ghost, it makes one feel empty not to feel it.

Anonymous

Gabriel sighed, wondering how interesting this was going to be. True, he had never met a woman cursed into being a spirit before, much less had one in his modest palace, but she did  not seem very intent on having a long conversation. Usually Gabriel was the one being forced to talk, but now it seemed like he had to force her if he wanted to enjoy the company even a little bit.

He pulled the sleigh into the kitchen, and heaved the seal onto a huge platform in the middle of the smaller room, resembling a cooking island made of solid ice. On the counter top he started skinning the animal, creating small drainage interstices all along the ends of the counter to keep the blood on the table, so that it wouldn't flow all over the floor.

"Well then," Gabriel said while removing the seals intestinal organs and throwing them in a bucket, "tell me what you did that got you cursed. When did this happen anyway?"

CastlesInTheSky

((Sorry about not posting faster. Site was down until after I had to do my studying. e.e;))

She followed him to the kitchen, standing next to the wall once they entered. She didn't expect it to be rather warm in the whole house; even as a spirit she could tell it definately wasn't cold. She brushed a bit of hair away that had fallen in her face, and proceeded to pin it up expertly. She gave a little, barely audiable sigh when she was done with that.

She casually turned her head towards him, but looked rather surprised at his question about her curse. She usually didn't speak about it to people, but she figured she ought to. After all, what would it hurt? Not much. It was a rather lengthy story to explain, though. She said, "Oh, as to your question about when it was, it was about 50 years ago..." She continued. "And as to what I did? Let's say that someone was angry that I had what they did not. It's a rather long story."

Anonymous

With a bloody skinning knife, Gabriel pointed at the window, which had incredibly thin ice as a replacement from glass. "As you can see, I will not be going anywhere soon. And I am really not that interesting a subject, so let's talk about you. Or rather, I will let you do the talking, and I'll do the listening."

He set the knife aside for a moment and retrieved a crystal glass and a bottle of whiskey from one of the icy cupboards, filling the glass for about half. Uncaring that he left bloody fingerprints on the glass, he took a sip and set it on the table next to the seal, continuing his work while taking a sip every once in a while. Whiskey was the only thing he went to town for, and when he went he made sure to buy enough for half a year.

"You don't mind if I drink, do you?" Gabriel asked dryly, and lifted his glass towards the woman with a half grin on his face.

CastlesInTheSky

She looked towards him, smiling a bit. "Heh, no, I don't mind." She looked past him. "And well, if you insist, I will talk a bit about my curse...I hope it's alright if I don't go into much detail. It's...not exactly a subject I enjoy speaking about." She felt as if she was going on a rant, but he seemed not to mind. She hadn't spoken even this much in a long while. She began to tell the story.

"Well, 50 years ago, I was a somewhat ordinary woman. I lived a somewhat normal life, if not a bit more. My family had much money. I was happy. But, my aunt was not happy. Although she was the one that took care of me when I was a child, we never...." She paused for a moment, a flicker of emotion passing on her features but quickly gone.

"...got along well. My mother mysteriously died when I was about 12. I knew my Aunt was to blame; I saw her pay a servant to slip something into my parents' drinks. It was by absolute chance that my father didn't pass away along with her; he spilled his tea and left the room to wash up. When he returned, my mother was there. Dead." She paused again, recollecting the events.

"So. My Aunt wanted the money that my parents posessed, so she was out to get them. After my mother was killed, my father eventually realized it was my aunt that had done it. Unfortunately, he died when trying to get rid of her." She seemed to be skipping many details towards the end. She said, quickly, "So, lastly, she went after me so I wouldn't be telling anyone. She cursed me with a spell so I would be but a ghost, unable to speak to anyone, just watch. It has of course worn off in that respect, but I cannot break it. When she was cursing me, she leaned towards me, and hissed something in my ear..." She stopped, looking at Gabriel rather sadly. "I'm sorry, but I think I'd rather not dwell on this subject any longer. Is there anything about yourself you'd like to say?"

Anonymous

Gabriel listened to the story, gradually becoming interested in the woman again. It was a shame that she didn't eat, or drink, which could have made it a lot easier to keep her talking, but her tale was worth hearing nonetheless. He frowned inwardly when she mentioned for what reason her aunt cursed her. Why not kill her and get it over with? he thought with disapproval. No need to let someone suffer like that, seeing everyone around her die except herself.

"I'd have to agree, yes. I can't say it's a very happy story," Gabriel said while wiping the knife on an already bloody cloth after slicing the edible pieces of seal meat. Then he swept up some ice from the floor, heated it with a touch of his hand and cleaned all the pieces of meat without touching them once, merely manipulating the water with his mind and some gestures. Leaving the now red water on the ice counter, he took a salt cellar and one by one, he sprinkled salt over the chunks and left them on the opposite counter to dry.

"To answer your question," Gabriel continued after taking another sip of whiskey, "I don't much enjoy talking about myself. And besides, doesn't my home give away pretty much all there is to know about me?" He gestured around the room with his glass in his hand. Outside, it was starting to get dark, both because of the rising storm and the beginning of dusk.

CastlesInTheSky

She watched the snow outside the window as he was talking. "Alright, I suppose you do have a point." She gestured with her hand to the intricate carvings of the walls. "This does tell me much about you." She sighed a little, fixing her eyes on him and tossing a strand of hair out of her face. "It also tells me you don't talk to people often; because I don't see who you'd meet out here usually..." She frowned a little, looking away from him. "I apologise. Maybe that wasn't my place to say."

She felt like she was rambling, but that was what he asked her to do, so might as well go on. "Also, I never did mention about my name. Tell me, what is your favorite name for a woman?" She looked at him expectantly.

Anonymous

The white haired man shrugged. "No, you're quite right. I hate people, especially in groups." Gabriel's face had a sort of uncomfortable look, because thanks to his invitation for this woman to stay at his house for the coming storm and the conversation that they had so far, he had already betrayed himself not to hate people at all, or at least not people in general like he wanted her to believe. Oh well, she could believe what she wanted. He was just interested in her and kind to her because... because... because she was a ghost! Yes, that was it. He hated everyone else. Gabriel smiled inwardly, content with his own magical solutions to his inner dilemmas.

He headed for the doorway, planning to make a fire in his royal living room, but just then the woman continued talking. He stopped in the door frame, staring back at her suspiciously. His hand was leaning on the frame for a few moments, until he realised it was too cold to hold on to it. "What a curious question. So long as you are not trying to make me consider baby names with you for whatever reason, I'll tell you."

Gabriel hesitated for a while, thinking about random girl names. Frankly, he didn't know that many women, resulting in not knowing many women's names. "Well. From my limited name database I would say Naomi is my favourite name." In his childhood, Naomi had been the only person in Hyoite he was friendly with. She was just a little younger than him, but she had a way of disarming his sky high guard.

"Why do you ask?" Gabriel added, frowning.

CastlesInTheSky

She thought about how contradictory that was. He invited her over, but he hated people. Right. That made perfect sense. But, she didn't question it, as it was polite to leave people as they are. She had forgotten a few things about people, being a ghost and all.

She arched an eyebrow at his comment before speaking the name. He wasn't exactly a people person. More like a hermit in the wilderness, making a large paradox in his mind about how he felt about people. She wasn't a people person in life, but things got lonely after she had nobody left. She hadn't actually stuck around a person's house for this long for quite a while. She didn't seem to mind the pause that followed after the question. She nodded. "Naomi, is it? Interesting." At his question, she looked at him for a moment, thoughtfully, and answered the truth. "This may seem strange to you, but after 50 years of nobody speaking your name and almost nobody to tell it to, it's quite a hard thing to remember. I've forgotten it. I supposed you must call me something, so I asked you what names you like. Does this make sense?"

Anonymous

Gabriel watched her with arched eyebrows for a while, wondering what the hell kind of person could forget their own name. She must not have been very self-conscious both through her real life and through her life as a ghost, because someone who knew who they were would never forget their name. He figured he should probably not comment, as he was already happy of having some company here (even though he hated company), and something like that was likely to have a negative effect. So he just nodded.

"I suppose it does. I'll just call you Naomi then."

Gabriel jerked his head in the direction of the open door to indicate her to follow him before he turned around and left the room himself. He headed straight for the living room, which was the room right next to the kitchen. This was probably one of the few rooms that always stayed the same. It contained the most wooden furniture, like large oak bookcases that lined the walls from the floor to the (very high) ceiling, and the small tables that stood all around the room, either stacked with books or empty glasses and bottles. The fireplace on the far wall was also not made of ice (obviously), but rather from rough stones, and it was gigantic -- about ten feet wide and five feet high. A large amount of logs flanked either side of the hearth, and the floor before it was made of stone as well. Then there were the sofas and armchairs, which were all common as well, and looked rather comfy.

"Make yourself at home," Gabriel said curtly before moving to fill the hearth with logs and light them. "So I don't suppose there's any way to break this curse?" he inquired while carrying logs to the fireplace.