Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Thief's Welcome [Closed]

Started by Thief, December 19, 2010, 03:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thief

She was as difficult as ever. Sprinting through the warehouse as nothing more than a blur, she never expected him to find her this quickly.  Just as she reached the exit, she stopped. She pulled the sleeve of her shirt up, the device on her right arm was glowing as it began to power up. With a quick wink, she vanished right before his eyes. The chase was over for now, but it would only be a moment before it began again.

He closed his eyes as his thoughts began to race. He could see a city, a place he had never been. Then, he saw as his view point shifted to her face. She looked down at her wrist and winked, then pulled her sleeve back over the device, cutting off his view.

Jack reopened his eyes, and found himself standing just outside that very city. Once again he was in an unfamiliar world, which somewhat resembled the distant past of his home. "Oh well," he thought, "nothing I can do now except blend in." He quickly located a dwelling with clothing hanging out to dry. Nabbing a weathered black shirt and a pair of black breeches, he changed into the more age appropriate attire. He made sure to leave his usual footwear on, as he hated the idea of wearing the boots he saw sitting out. He also took care to leave his necklace on. It wasn't much more than a small cross, but he never took it off if he could avoid it.

After that was out of the way, he made his way into the streets. Perhaps if he wandered the streets long enough, he would find a tavern of some kind. The girl he sought never was one to pass up a crowd of drunks to steal from. At the very least, he could pick up on the word around town. So, with only one real plan, he started walking aimlessly among the crowd.

Anonymous

Keoni was making his way through the crowd, dodging people. He wasn't really much of a pickpocket and disliked working the crowds. He had good fingers, sensitive and delicate, but he was bad with the timing and people....people just confused him.

But he and his brother were behind in their workings for the month. They needed to catch up and there had been no good houses to hit. So he was out working the crowd and hating every minute of it.

The skinny thief passed against a man, sliding a hand against the purse, a tiny blade slicing at the string that would keep it attached.

((OOC: OMG. Sorry this took so long! That is not normal for me! Finals, then the trip then hlidays have messed up my posting!))

Thief

Jack felt the weight at his side vanish as a young man brushed against him. He turned in time to see a young man walking quickly through the crowd. He had stolen the small purse Jack took along with the clothing.

That's not very nice, Jack thought, I go through the trouble of stealing some money, and someone else takes it from me. Ironic in a way, but perhaps I can take advantage of the situation. Jack turned and followed the young man. He had done Jack no real harm, so there was no point in drawing any attention to him. Once they reached some place a bit less crowded, Jack would see what kind of thief he was dealing with.

If there was one thing Jack did not approve of about thieves, it was that they stole without a need to. This fact,  however, rarely applied to children. So, Jack would need to see for himself before doing anything about it. For now, he would simply follow the young man.

((OOC: No problem, I think I started in the wrong place anyway. I moved it here right before you replied. Hopefully I got it right this time. *crosses fingers*))

Anonymous

Impressed he managed to get away with the purse, Keoni moved quickly to put distance between him and his target. His tiny frame moved quickly through the people and slipped into an alleyway, out of sight. It was always good to get hidden after grabbing a purse, then you couldn't get pointed out when they realized their money was gone.

Glancing around, he made sure the area was clear and he hadn't been followed. Satisfied, he opened up the purse, looking to see how much he had gotten. It seemed decently heavy, but that could have been for a number of reasons.

Thief

Jack watched as the thief ducked into an alley. He made his way up to the edge of the structure and peered around the corner. The thief had the purse open and was counting his loot.

He was far younger looking than Jack had thought as he passed him in the street. He had greasy black hair that came down over his face, and did not look to be too far into his teen years. Jack decided to go easy on him. After all, he was only a child.

Jack stepped around the corner and walked very quietly up to the boy. When he was within reach, he put his hand on the kid's shoulder. The kid was startled and turned to face him, breaking the grip Jack had on his shoulder. "I believe you have something of mine," Jack said as softly as his voice would allow.

Anonymous

When he felt the hand on his shoulder, Keoni's entire body jerked and he let out a scream, dropping the purse and scrambling away. He pressed his back against the wall, eyes wide, face pale as his thin chest heaved with panic.

Shit. Shitshitshitshit! He got caught! And the dude was really close, "Um! No! What? I found that! Don't kill me!"

Thief

Ah, the innocence of children, Jack thought, It's like they never do anything wrong. Perhaps he needs to know he's among friends. Jack reached down and retrieved the purse. He smiled at the young man and said, "Thank you for finding it for me."

The kid didn't seem to be too at ease, despite Jack acting like it wasn't a big deal. Most kids would be elated to find that they were off the hook. Must have scared him pretty bad, Jack thought. Then he got an idea.

"You know what, why don't you keep it," Jack said as he held out the purse. "All you have to do is tell me about this place. I'm actually new around here, and I don't even know what to call this money, much less how much it is. If you can do that, and promise me you won't get caught again, you can keep it. That sound fair to you?"

Anonymous

Keoni stared at the man, not sure what to expect. This had to be a trick or something. But he was offering him the purse, which had a decent amount in it. The boy kept his back pressed to the wall, still watching Jack warily, "What is it you want to know?"

Thief

Like any good thief, he was looking for Jack's angle on all of this. Unfortunately, paranoia is like a curse among thieves. They all suffer from it to some degree. However, this kid seemed more so than usual. Either he wasn't used to being caught, or he was always getting caught and was more worried about his punishment. Apparently this kid needs some guidance, Jack thought.

"Your name would be a good start," Jack said, "Mine's Jack, what's yours?"

Anonymous

"....Seth." It was almost the name of that insane girl he had met the other day. The boys huge eyes never left Jack, watching him carefully.

He didn't seem like he was going to get the guards, which could mean he planned on extracting some sort of personal revenge. Or was a pervert. Could be either.

Thief

Hesitation is a sure sign he's lying, but who could blame him, Jack thought to himself. On the other hand, he might just be nervous.

"Well, Seth, nice to meet you," Jack said, "Now, how about we quit hanging out in an alley like a couple of creeps, and find somewhere else to talk. You can fill me in on this place, and earn this." Jack held the purse up again. "So for starters, what all is accepted as money around here?"

Anonymous

"..." Keoni slowly stood up, frowning at the guy, "What ya mean? We use coin...where are you from mister?"

The guy was weird and he made Keoni rather nervous. Though, most people did. But he didn't really trust this guy. He had just stolen from him and he didn't care. There had to be a trick here somewhere.

Thief

Well, it was obvious they were coins, Jack thought. The best news is that there isn't any paper money. It's always a hassle to learn what the different prints mean.

"Let's just say, I'm not from around here," Jack said. The two started walking back out into the street. Right as they got to the edge of the alley, Jack tossed out another question. Gesturing with his hand, he asked "What is this city called?"

Anonymous

"Yeah. I guessed that." So, stranger to the city picking up young boys. Lovely. But it didn't seem to dangerous yet and the bag of money was painfully tempting and he and Keani still had to pay dues...

"Well....we're in Arca. That's in Serendipity." How someone wouldn't know the name of the city they were in was rather suspect, but it was probably better to not ask. Questions made people prickly.

Thief

They continued to walk as the kid answered questions. This kid was really helpful, but something was troubling him. Jack couldn't help but wonder why a kid was so desperate for one lone purse of coins, when he could just steal a different one. Either he never gets caught, or he always gets caught, Jack thought, Only one way to find out.

"Okay, kid," Jack said, "Just one more quick question and the money's yours. Why is it so important that you get this particular coin purse?"

Anonymous

"Uh, because you offered it to me? And I need money." Keoni gave Jack a puzzled look. What was he getting at. The dude offered him free money.

Besides, he kinnda sucked at pickpocketing. He didn't want to have to try for more purses. Plus, that purse was massive.

Thief

"Alright," Jack said, "but first I'll need a replacement." He looked up for a moment and said, "Wait here, I'll be right back," before walking into the busy crowd. He brushed past a few people, and clumsily knocked one man's hat off of his head. He quickly apologized for bumping into him and picked up his hat for him. After a few moments, he had walked what was essentially a circle through the crowd and returned to where he left Keoni standing.

"Alright," he said as he took three coin purses from his pockets, "a deal's a deal." He tossed the original coin purse, which was the largest of the three, to Keoni. He looked down at the other two in his hands as he said, "I should be fine with these." He quickly returned them to his pockets.

"Well, Seth,"he said as Keoni put the other coin purse away, "if you would like to learn how to do that, I can help you. I wouldn't mind passing a little advice from one thief to another."

Anonymous

Oh! It was starting to make a little more sense now. The man was a thief, which was why he hadn't cared as much before. But still, why was he bothering with him? It made little sense. He snatched the bag out of the air and it disappeared quickly into his pockets, the boys eyes still on Jack.

"Teach me what? How to pick pockets? I know how to pick pockets..." He was just clumsy and kinnda bad at it.

Thief

"Yes, I saw... If I hadn't been more aware than most people, you might have gotten away with that." Speaking of paranoia, Jack thought. He looked up for a moment to make sure no one had noticed their purse missing. He didn't like that the man with the hat was still nearby, but he seemed preoccupied with something else. They should be fine for now.

"My concern is your reaction when you were caught." It was puzzling, but Jack knew the feeling. Not knowing what's going to happen or even if you will be okay, it's definitely unsettling. But, trying to escape is better than waiting to see what will happen. "Why did you not try to run?"

Anonymous

"Um, because you were too close." Keoni still had that wary look about him, like a stray animal ready to bolt the moment you tried to touch them, "I didn't hear you sneak up, and sometimes, it's a bad idea to run if you can't get away."

It could make them angry. Or for the sadistic ones, make it more exciting. When running wasn't an option, Keoni often tried groveling and general patheticness to get him out of situations.