Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

On The Road Again...

Started by Anonymous, March 02, 2011, 05:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

He always got some funny looks when he was loading or unloading. When he was doing both...yeah, people stared a little bit. They weren't all that used to seeing a tent - a full-sized, lumpy, bristly, seriously funny looking tent - that could move around almost on its own, and this one was festooned with crates and bags and cooking pots in just about every space there might be room to leave one. They generally weren't sure what to make of a shaggy little thing like Maddox either - she was strong for such a little pony, but...honestly, he had to wonder if there might be some sofa hidden in her family tree.

Sasha whistled quietly to himself. He'd done almost the full circuit of Connlaoth. All he had left to sell, really, were some of the finer furs - he still had a full bearskin, some mink that should be good for trimming and some wolfskins in particularly good condition - that only the Grand Duke himself or some of his closer mates might have a use for, a little bit of finely carved ivory and soapstone that he'd oiled until it shone (again, this would almost definitely go to some rich man wanting a trinket for his mistress, wife or daughter!) and the last of the seal oil, the mead and the crab.

Crab always sold well in big cities. He'd laid it all out on the front steps of the caravan, and every now and again shouted as loudly as he could as he loaded crates of food on against the wonder-tent's back wall. The food was hardtack mostly (it was the only thing close to bread that would keep over winter) though he'd been lucky this season and picked up a couple of crates of dried fruit, plus a load of vegetables he couldn't remember the names for without looking at the labels on their preserving jars!

He even had some toys. Small ones, but Connlaoth stitching held dolls together well. The models of their flintlocks would be popular too - pull the trigger, a length of dowel pushed forward inside until a cork came shooting out of the barrel on a string - and their glass-making and pottery skills made for nearly indestructible marbles.

Kids on the tundra loved it when he brought toys over the mountains from Connlaoth. There wasn't always much room, squeezed in amongst all the other things that were actually essential, but he always tried. Could anyone really fault him for loving that moment when the kiddies first saw them, when they grinned so wide their teeth nearly fell out of their mouths?

Besides, these were supposed to be the best-made toys in the world.

His very first year on the road...he'd been a man already then, but seeing some of the things that children in Reajh could buy to play with and maul and generally love to death, he'd still gaped like a stunned fish.

His voice very nearly boomed from the depths of the tent. It had taken a lot of practice to learn that projecting trick.

"Fine goods from the north, ladies and gentlemen, and I'm leaving sooner than you think! I have furs, I have ivory...hurry up or you'll miss the lot!"

He was due to pick up a load of new tools from the blacksmith soon, plus a few baskets of Connlaoth's good crossbows and flintlocks, the real thing this time. They were pretty valuable when you came face to face with a bear, so they should sell well when he made it over the mountains again.

"Look at these beautiful steatite charms, just right for that very important lady in your life...and no, boys, I don't mean your mother! You have a date? An important occasion? Something to celebrate? Make her feel special with a genuine delicacy, preserved crab meat all the way from the northern coast! Maybe some spiced mead to follow, this season's best quality brew fresh from Hyoite?"

He couldn't help it. He laughed, ducking his head to look out the wonder-tent's door at the passing crowd.

"I have one - and only one - full, head-on, claws on, snarling monster of a bearskin in here, just waiting for the right person to come in and claim it. Then you can tell your friends you shot the thing, they'll never know any different..."

Anonymous

Walking through the city, Michael took her time heading back to the headquarters. It was too nice outside to want to spend it in doors, with all that blasted work to be done. She deserved a break! Despite her short stature, Michael had no problems with the crowds, as people quickly recognized her, the emblem on her cloak if not her face. She was the Grand Master of the Mordecai and people knew better than to get in her way.

Pausing at a stand with a bit of jewelry, wondering if she should pick some up for Keith, her attention was drawn by the calls of a trader. Straightening, she scanned the crowd, quickly locating the man calling out.

A bearskin? That was always nice to have in the winter and he sounded like he had come from the north, they had beautiful furs in the north. Striding over, Michael stood in front of him, a wide smile on her face, "You say you have a bearskin? What else do you have that might interest me. Any thing with white fur?"

Anonymous

Sasha peered down at the little woman. All Connlaothians - well, most! - looked small to him, but she was particularly short. Still, even if he hadn't recognised the emblem she wore (Mordecai without question, and a powerful one at that) he didn't think he'd like to get on her bad side. There was something harder than granite under under that broad smile, and a clever little spark even in the scarred eye.

What? He'd be a terrible trader if he couldn't read a customer!

And he did like her smile...

"For you, I'm sure I can find something. Let me see now..."  he scratched his chin, "The bear itself is almost white. Winter kill, you understand. If you're looking for something smaller, I have some good wolfskins in light colours or one fox in winterpelt. For trimming your cloak, I've some winter weasel - ermine, if you want to be proper - or a little bit of mink. Not much mink, and a little shabby after so long, but still." Cocking his head to the side, with a grin and a wink, "It often suits the finer ladies of this place to wear mink. I don't know if that's your style."

His boots crunched on the cobblestones as he hopped down and gave Maddox a quick kiss on the nose. Maddox just rolled her eyes, huffed her forelock out of the way and tried to concentrate on the fascinating bits of oats at the bottom of her nosebag.

This really was a very small woman - he had to be at least a foot taller than she was.

"If you're buying furs, I can stand to give the occasional gift to sweeten the deal. Do you have time to have a look at them? Have a drink with me and we'll see if we can come to some arrangement. There's good booze I can fetch from the back of the tent?"

Bigger on the inside. Every time, someone just had to mention that the wonder-tent was bigger on the inside...hopefully she wouldn't notice.

Anonymous

"For a good fur, I have all the time in the world." Michael gave a smile, amused and interested. She adored fur and good booze just made things even better. She shifted her weight, hand on her slim hip, "Bring your beer and show me the fur. Give me enough and I'm sure even the ratty minks will look grand."

She hadn't noticed anything about the tent, though she didn't make any move to enter it. He could bring the things to her, traders tents always smelled and were too uncomfortable. She wasn't going inside any time soon, "I have plenty of coin to spend, so wow me with your best."

Anonymous

"Begging your pardon and all that, but I'm not about to crack a new barrel..." there .were at least a dozen little firkins in there, stacked up on each other; they were meant for inns and such, "...just to make a sale. Hopefully you'll trust my judgement on this one and accept the one I actually drink already?"

Sasha definitely had a favourite. He knew the producer; there had to be some perks to life on the road, and being given a sample of last summer's best work counted as a pretty good one. Honey, those little wrinkled apples that grew on stunted trees, had lasted through storage, suddenly turned sweet and sharp when no one was looking...Dmitri never told anyone the spices he used (trade secret!) but there were definitely some cloves in there, heavens above only knew where he got them...

As a general rule, tundra folk used bone cups, hollowed out until the bone was nearly translucent. Call it force of habit or sentiment or whatever you liked, Sasha still did. He handed one down to her, sat down on the step beside the spread out furs that sparkled in the sun. White fur did that. Cream, too, or some of the lighter tawny shades you sometimes saw on a wolf's belly.

"Now, before we can come to an arrangement, you're going to have to tell me a few things. Don't worry, I don't cheat pretty women. Just tell me...what exactly is it that you're after? A little trim, little decoration? You're going somewhere this winter, need a heavy fur for a full coat?"

He toasted her with a grin.

"This is for your room, so you can tell the new Mordecai who've only just arrived and are terrified of you that you kill bears by hand in your spare time?"

Anonymous

"Ah, I haven't seen cups like this in a while." Michael turned the bone mug, examining it. She used to travel when she was younger, very important missions for the White Lilies and all that. She couldn't get away as much now.

She smiled at Sasha, drinking the beer, making a pleased sound, "This is excellent! I am impressed, it's so sweet without being cloying. My compliments." Turning her attention back to the fur, Michael crouched down next to one, stroking her hand across it, "Honestly, I'm not sure. I just want something new and pretty. And I want the bear. Nothing beats rolling around naked on fur."

Anonymous

"Keep it if you like it. I can make another, and it's usually only me on the road."

She was certainly looking at it as though she liked it, turning it around slowly and examining the twisting coils of a dragon he'd etched into the side, the shining sepia bead of an eye he'd painted in with a horse hair (just one) and a dot of octopus ink. Truth be told, he didn't have much else to do if the road was straight and level. Maddox would just keep plodding along and very nearly steer herself. Besides, it couldn't hurt being in a high-ranking Mordecai's good books.

"You've got...plans for that fur, then?"

To be fair, that was a fascinating mental image!

He'd be storing that one up for future reference...yeah, so he was flirting as well. A little. Just a little.

Not that he was going to say this aloud, mind you, but he'd have had to be blind not to notice she was pretty. Not the standard Connlaoth woman, but very pretty in her own way. Sharp. Like a weapon, or a quick one liner no one had been expecting to hear, thrown out over the shoulder as she passed by.

He tugged on the edge of the bearskin, pulling it out flat so she could see the faint yellow-cream tinge to it, bury her fingers in the fur. All customers who really loved fur did that - they got sidetracked, distracted, had to touch it to be sure it really was that soft. Winter furs especially; that extra layer of undercoat, under the rough hairs on the surface...until the day it moulted away, it was almost downy. It needed a bit of an airing of course, but a wash and brush dry would bring it up beautifully.

"Does this fit in with your future rolling schedule?"

Come to think of it...

"How exactly were you planning to get this home after buying it? I don't doubt you're strong, but it's heavy!"

Anonymous

"Ah. Thank you. I will." It was a pretty cup and she liked it. A piece to reminder her of younger days. She drained the cup, eyes on the fur. The man was fun, she had to admit that, but not her usual type, "Oh, I have some very fun plans for this fur."

Her free hand slid down, curling into the fur. She gave a shiver, her smile getting wider, "Oh yes. This will be perfect. And don't worry, I'll send someone to pick it up for me." She could have carried it herself, but where was the fun in that. That was the perk of being on top, other people did all the hard work.

"What else do you have to impress me with?"

Anonymous

"Well now, that depends entirely on you, and your bank account. You've had the poor luck to catch me at the arse end of a tour - if you'd turned up when I first crossed the mountains this year, I could have kept you here for days - but I may still have a few smaller pieces, to suit...refined tastes, that haven't been spoken for."

Sasha scratched his chin. He shaved a lot more regularly on the Connlaothian side of the mountains. Cut his hair more, too. Connlaothians were, as a rule, somewhat more likely to trust a big, clean cut man who could have been a blacksmith than they were to trust a big hairy creature with the tundra accent still clipping the end of some words.

"You did say you wanted something pretty..." he peered absentmindedly into a pocket stitched onto the side of the tent. There were lots of those, inside and out, to hold the little things that would only get lost any other way. This one held stone. He pulled out a small carving; light blue stone, almost icy blue, polished smooth (sharkskin could be amazing that way!) and oiled until it shone.

It matched her eyes. She'd have to have never seen herself if she couldn't pick that up.

"You live a risky life, miss. You'd know as well as any that being a Mordecai has its dangers, yes? Sometimes."

The carving was barely longer than the first two bones of a woman's index finger. barely wider than two fingers laid side by side. It was an odd shape, curled into a fish hook, but carved all over with details. Some kind of great creature, turned in profile, with a fish's tail, a man's body - the muscles of his forearms and chest were clearly marked, it had taken ages to carve so finely! - and the wicked curve of a beak on an eagle's feathered head. It had a loop at the top of the hook, for a piece of string or leather.

"This is called a manaia. It's supposed to protect the wearer from all evil and all harm, no matter if it comes from the earth, sea or sky. I've seen them worked with magic included, but that tends to be done as a particular request by the parents of a sick child or someone else who's especially vulnerable. In any case, I don't think I understand magic well enough to sell those ones."

He chuckled. "I'm not stupid enough to sell you a spelled necklace, so this one is only a good luck charm, like a rabbit's foot."

He reached into another pocket for a length of plaited leather, and cut off the amount he needed with his hunting knife. On her...hmmm...maybe to the hollow of her throat? No longer, it'd get tangled.

"Working it into a fish hook is deliberate. People in the north rely on the sea to survive a lot of the time - it brings most of our food, whale and seal blubber keeps the lamps burning for warmth, we use whale bones to support most of our big building projects, we trade seal fur and fish. For us, the fish hook is a symbol of prosperity, general good fortune...all that nice stuff. Men and women both wear it," he pulled the collar of his shirt aside for a moment, to be sure she could see the bone hook, carved with scales and feathers and skin, gleaming white against the skin on his throat, "but for women in particular it has another meaning, as a symbol of determination and strength."

He moved behind her, broadcasting every move as clearly as he could.

"There's a copper mirror in that pocket there if you want to see how it looks...may I?"

Anonymous

Michael's eyes locked on the charm, giving a small, breathy sigh. It was beautiful, so delicately carved. The mention of magic had her frowning a little, but his assurances there was no taint on this one had her reaching for it, lighting touching it, "I love the color."

She was a vain creature and she smiled at Sasha, amused by his flirting. Not her type, but she did like that tongue on him. As he moved behind her, she turned her head slightly, keeping an eye on him as she pulled his hair away from her neck, "Please do. You have some very interesting...wares. I am surprised I have never found you before this. Do you have a name, merchant?"

Anonymous

The flirting seemed to be working. He'd make a sale here, almost definitely, and she was even smiling. It was nice to be smiled at, to have someone asking his name. There were so few people living north of the mountains that it happened from time to time on that side, but here...

Funny. He spent his whole life sweet-talking people, paying compliments to women, playing with fat little babies too small to look like anything but swaddled potatoes with a squishy little cranky face stuck on one end. He enjoyed it. He was, as far as he could tell, good at it.

And none of them, with a few, rare, exceptions, ever asked him anything.

Social animal, huh?

He tied the knot quickly, as gently as he could, trying not to linger too long about it even as he watched to be sure he didn't tug on any stray hairs or tie them into the knot by mistake. Some people didn't like it when you noticed the texture of the skin on the nape of their neck, or the soft, curling hairs that grew there a shade or two darker than the parts of it that got bleached in the sun. He always did notice these things, especially when he'd been apart from other people for a while, but he'd learned long ago not to mention it.

It made people feel vulnerable. Or something. Probably "or something". There was usually some kind of "or something" involved.

The pleased little sound she made when she saw it, tucked away down there in the back of her throat like a secret she hadn't actually meant to tell...that probably wasn't something she let slip very often, either. Hell, for her that might almost be a sex noise (which was an odd thought when you were talking about stone carvings!).

"I'm glad you like it. There are better carvers out there, and I sell their work too, but that one is my work." He shrugged. "It fills the time, keeps my fingers nimble. So much of what I buy is just rough stone, uncut ivory for others to use...it's be a shame not to let out some of what I see hiding inside the offcuts. They'd only go to waste otherwise."

He pulled out the mirror. It was only a battered sheet of copper, but it reflected well enough for him to shave in. Besides, it had been useful before now when he had jewelery to sell.

"There you go." It really did suit her. He'd been proud of how that carving had turned out, too. "Lovely. Since you were asking...my name is Aleksander. Sasha."

One exaggerated bow later...

"And you are? I'm guessing a big gun in the Mordecai ranks, but I can't very well call you that!"

Anonymous

The mention of nimble fingers had Michael's eyes dropping to his hands, then slowly back up, a slow, sensual smile on her lips, "Oh? Well, I always appreciate a man who's good with his hands." Her slender fingers stroked the charm on her neck. She liked the weight of it, the feel of it against her neck.

And he was flattering enough that she would probably buy it anyway. The copper mirror let her see it against her, though she had to undo her outer jacket to see it very well. Tilting her head, she studied her reflection, "Mmm. Yes, it is a good piece. You have some real talent Sasha. Did you teach yourself?"

She didn't bow in return, just gave a nod of her head, "My name is Sir Michael Weiss." Her smile got a little wider, "I'm sure you've heard of me."

Anonymous

His eyebrows had shot up. He could feel it. Right now, they were trying very hard to hide in his hair.

"So...how many times have people been surprised when they finally meet the Grand Master of the Mordecai and find out it's you?"

Of course he knew who Sir Michael Weiss was. The string of pretty boys she was rumoured to sleep with drew some censure from a few corners - he'd heard the mutterings on his travels, and given her history with the White Lily crew they had at least something to go on - but by all accounts, even the people who weren't sure they liked her could admit she had the sort of brass balls that would put a lion to shame. It's just that...well, it was a bit like finding out the Grand Duke had a bad case of hiccups!

Personally, he'd have expected the Grand Master of the Mordecai to be a bit taller, a bit more imposing. Someone with a bit more gravitas, you know, the sort of person you couldn't imagine peering at themselves in a dented copper mirror with their head tipped to the side like a bird.

Or rolling around gleefully naked on a bearskin. That too.

She was looking at his hands like she wanted to eat them...looking at him like she wanted to eat him, and maybe she was doing it as a joke - he'd heard rumours about her sense of humour too - or a power trip, or just for some mysterious female reason he'd never understand, but a hot little curl of tension was uncoiling in the pit of his stomach, and he had to admit this was interesting...

Anonymous

"Oh?" Michael gave a small laugh, turning away from the mirror finally. A bit of vanity was one thing, but it was tasteless to spend to long staring at her own reflection. An amused smile tugged at her lips, "Were you expecting a man? With big muscles and impressive scars?"

She was used to that. Most people found it surprising that she was able to climb to the top. A fact she used to her advantage. It often meant people underestimated her.

Anonymous

"A man? No lass, never a man."

He'd known far more women worthy of being feared than he'd ever known men. Maybe it was a product of tundra life - no man he'd ever met would spend a full fishing season at home, alone, keep the household warm and fed off his own efforts, birth a new baby with another child hanging off his legs all the while, and still be alive (and sane) at the end of it - but...yeah, a woman like this one was easily hard enough to run a tight ship in the Mordecai barracks. He'd quite happily pay to see her do it.

He shook his head. "If you must know, it's more that in my experience, the great, the good and the up themselves of this world don't run their own errands. They'll send some minor peon to get their furs for them. It makes a nice change to deal direct...and I can ask you a question  your minions can't answer."

Oh, this was going to be embarrassing...

"You're famous for your good taste in this sort of thing. Where's the best place in this city to get a really good, hot, long bath?"

What? He was only here for four days, then back on the road again. Until he hit the hot springs, he'd be washing with cold water and a block of soap harder than a river pebble, out of a bucket. It was a depressing prospect.

"If there's a solid feed to be had at the end of it, even better."

Anonymous

"Well, don't get me wrong. I do like to order my staff around. But shopping, ah, shopping isn't a chore, it's a pleasure. If I had sent some servant, I wouldn't have found this," She reached up touching the carving at her neck, "Or gotten to feel the bear pelt for myself. Where is the fun in that."

The question had her interested, quickly followed by disappointment. Really? That was what he wanted to ask? "I must be losing my charm if your burning question is about a bath. Well, let me think. I know a good brothel, though if you just want a bath and food, there is the Queen's Bed, though they are pricey."

Anonymous

"You have plenty of charm. Are you telling me you're offering the use of yours?"

Anonymous

"I haven't decided that yet." Michael smirked, eyes sliding over Sasha's form, "Maybe I'll decide after you tell me how much you are charging me. And after that bath."

Anonymous

"You're buying my best fur. You're buying a reasonably good stone carving. You've come damn close to inviting me back to your place..." Sasha ticked the list off on his fingers,  one by one, "...which may or may not involve me bringing more of the booze you liked so much, and yet you still expect me to charge you for the visit as well?"

He nearly burst out laughing. "Believe me, it doesn't happen so frequently that I start charging to keep pretty girls company! If I were in your place, I'd be fishing for a discount!"

"Add to that the fact that if the rumours I've heard are true," he looked her up and down. Slowly. Very slowly. A wide, almost feral grin started to spread across his face. "If the rumours I've heard are true, Sir Michael, I don't think I'm really your type...but, as they say, what the lady wants, the lady gets."

He spread his arms wide.

"Tell me when and where. Then lie back and think of Connlaoth."

Anonymous

"Oh, I don't mix buisness and pleasure." Michael smiled, posing a little as he looked her over. She knew she lacked the curves and pleasant plumpness of most Connlaothian woman, but she also knew she was good looking, "I expect a fair price from you."

He wasn't her type, not at all, but she was intrigued. Though his last comment had her raising an eyebrow, "Oh? I would hold someone as skilled with your hands wouldn't be that boring in bed."