Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Wings and Swords ((XIII))

Started by CastlesInTheSky, March 21, 2011, 09:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CastlesInTheSky

Flying. Everyone wants to fly, it seemed. But of course, when they wished from the bottom of their heart, yearning to fly, they envisioned lush fields of green and a picture-perfect sunset, maybe a slight breeze. They weren't longing for a chill wind, or snow blasting in their face at God-knows-what-speed. Gwen tried to find a landing spot, her vision cloudy at absolute best, and was soon tumbling around in the air as a person is thrown about in a large wave they didn't see coming. In less than a minute, she ungracefully hit a large snowdrift in a small clearing. As she struggled out of the snow, she was glad to have suffered no injuries, just bruises most likely. She shook herself off, almost invisible in all the white around her. The dress she wore was tattered and worn, also white. She didn't seem phased whatsoever as to the cold winter weather. The snow was much calmer down on the ground. She spread her wings once more, landing on a low branch of a tree to rest, surveying her surroundings.

XIII

Donovan pulled his heavy winter cloak around him, cursing in a heavy accent the wind and the snow. But especially the snow. He trudged onward, his boots seeming to crush the white powder underfoot. He stopped beside a rock, covered in the infernal whiteness, and brushed it off to make a seat for himself. Pulling the thick leather hood away from his face, he looked around. He wasn't an unhandsome man, but his face held a kind of general disdain that made all his good looks sort of wash away.

Breathing heavily and watching as the small puffs of steam came forth from his lips, he cursed again. "Damn cold. Why on earth 'id it have ta be cold? Ah canno' fight like this, shou' the need arise. Ah swear, if tha' little rat in the tavern was lyin ta me, Ah'll throttle im til..." He didn't finish. He heard a noise, like a crack of a branch. In an instant the cloak was gone, discarded to the ground. Underneath Donovan was wearing a simple outfit of leather, short sleeved shirt, pants, and boots. His hands, which were protected underneath gauntlets, went to the pair of identical swords at his side. His fingers twitched between the two, as though he were uncertain of which one he would use.

"Come on then. Whoever ya are. Whether ye be man or beastie, I'll take yer head afore this day ends, should ya come near me n my swords."

CastlesInTheSky

Gwen blinked owlishly for a moment, having being distracted and not even seeing the man come up to sit. She gazed down at him from her somewhat-hidden perch. Ah, a human. She didn't think she would be seeing much of them around at the moment. He was probably looking for something. What was he so worked up about? Gwen muttered something to herself before she hopped down from the branch, landing about 5 feet away from him. She pressed her wings to her back, having found out many times that people she met either didn't approve of them or wanted to hack them off. She looked blankly at him, unsure of what to say in reply. She studied him for a moment. He seemed at least like the type that would be able to come in the woods and leave without getting lost or attacked by some creature. She said, "Don't you worry, I'm not coming anywhere near you unless you want, head-hacker." Her mouth twitched into a short-lasting smirk.

XIII

The man's accent had suddenly gotten harsher as his hand gripped the hilt of one of the two swords. He drew the blade, simple and unadorned, and proceeded to point it purposefully in Gwen's direction. "Dae no git smart wi me, lassie. A hiv no the time ti deal wi som smart-arsed witch. Nou, ye say nae ane sent ye efter me?"

Lowering his sword a little, he looked the girl over. Her clothes were tattered, and she was almost the same color as the blasted snow. "Ye ar no a spirit o the woods aboot these pairts, ar ye?" He took a small step in the direction of the girl, his sword hanging uselessly by his side. His tone grew somewhat fanatical as he continued, "Micht ye be familiar wi a sword in the area?"

CastlesInTheSky

((I'm sorry for the delay))

Gwen blinked. She wasn't sure from where he came from, but he sure did have an accent. She tilted her head to the side, deciding to stay silent for the first part of his talking, minus mumbling that she wasn't a witch, as that was pretty much all she understood. She was rather relieved when he lowered his sword, so at least she wouldn't have to run off. To her, he seemed.....strange, to say the least. And she still couldn't understand him very well when he continued speaking. She didn't seem to do anything as he took a step towards her. She looked blankly at him for a moment, then said, "A....sword? Around here? Well, plenty of people have swords. I'm not sure what you're referring to." She sighed, then looked at him in a semi-amused and semi-confused mix. "And just a question...where are you from? You have...a strange accent."

XIII

((It's quite alright. I'm sorry for Donovan's accent))

Donovan partially sheathed his sword again, shaking his head numbly at the question the girl posed. "A hiv no the foggiest where A micht be fram. Ma accent is wan A've niver heard in ma travels afore. But, ye mast be frightfully cold, in non but those rags. Tak ma cloak." With this he offered her the large leather cloak he had carried, holding it out. While his offer itself seemed generous, his tone and facial expression remained as distant and cold as the clouds that the snow around them fell from. Whether or not she accepted the offered clothing, Donovan's next question was unchanged.

"Nou, the sword A'm spaekin o wad leuk like these two A cairie. An if A'm correct, its awner, if the blasted thing haes wan, wud appear ti hiv unnaturally guid luck." He thought contemplatively as he spoke, as though he were making certain that the sword he mentioned was indeed the one he was looking for. "Aye, that'd be the wan."
----------
TRANSLATION: I have not the foggiest where I might be from. My accent is one I've never heard in my travels before. But, you must be frightfully cold, in nothing but those rags. Take my cloak.

Now, the sword I'm speaking of would look like these two I carry. And if I'm correct, its owner, if the blasted thing has one, would appear to have unnaturally good luck. Aye, that'd be the one.

CastlesInTheSky

((It's totally alright. xD; After reading it a bit more it started making more sense. In fact I almost started typing her speech like it.))

Gwen nodded. After hearing him talk a bit more, she was getting a bit used to the accent that changed his words. As she didn't really know much about her own life as a young girl, she could relate. In fact, she knew not who, or what, her parents were. The more she thought about the wings attached to her back, the more she thought she really didn't want to know. She silently accepted the cloak, with a mumble of "thank you", more as simply a gesture of being friendly. She found it strange how stoic he seemed throughout the whole conversation. She shook it off. Some people were just strange like that, she supposed.

Gwen appeared thoughtful. "Unnaturally good luck, you say...?" She tried to think of all the people that came by her most often for the buying or selling of furs. Much too many to remember all. Some just came along because they had no money and were hopelessly lost, but that was definitely not 'good luck'. "Well....", she began. "I see many beings come through. But I can only think of a handful with good luck...you see, I usually see those with bad luck..." She paused again, a light beginning to light up in her mind. "There was a guy around once...it was kind of recent...probably 6 days ago at tops. He was rambling on about how he had a great catch that day, and I agreed. Seemed like too much for a boy like him. He said he had really just begun hunting. I believe he had also found a handful of money just lying around that day that nobody claimed as their own. The thing is, I'm not sure if he has the sword. Does this sound like a good enough description to you?"

XIII

"That micht no be the kin o luck A'm leuking for. An unless he haed the sword on him, unsheathed, it wad no work. Damn it al, A'd bet ma left arm that the wee bastard in the tavern wis lyin." Donovan shook his head and let out another string of curses. "Na pynt in gaun back nou. Micht as weel hae a leuk around. The damned sword micht actually be somewhere around here."

He silently began to look around, lifting the stone he had sat upon with relative ease. Upon finding nothing there but a few fleeting insects, he dropped it and continued to scour the area with his eyes. As he did, his eyes grew incredibly more distant than they were when he first appeared, as if he were looking at a different world entirely. He spoke, but his voice was clear and precise, with none of the heavy accent that normally permeated his speech. The words were short and rhymed, almost sounding like part of a song.

"Who holds this sword knows good odds, Whichever risk he take, But the Sword of Chance, to please the gods, Slips from him like a snake."

Released almost as suddenly from his trance as he had been brought into it, he sighed with burden and clenched his fists. "A'll hiv ti set up camp an stay here a feow days. But there is no time ti gae back an git fuid. Hunting is the aenly option." He seemed to have forgotten that Gwen was even there, his mind focused on what was certain to be a series of unpleasant nights in the cold forest.

CastlesInTheSky

Gwen gave him a bit of a strange look, then said, "Well, sorry I couldn't help with the sword." She shrugged, a bit of snow falling off of her wings. This guy was sure strange. She'd seen some weird guys, but he was pretty strange, in the way he acted at least. She was only really used to the occasional fur traders and all. "But, tell you what, sir. I have food back at my place and you can come over if you please." She had a sort of safehouse deal going. Her home wasn't much, but she usually found stranded adventurers and the like around, lost in the forest. He wasn't exactly that type, but it didn't matter. She continued, "And perhaps we could talk and you could get a better lead on your sword."

XIII

At the offer of shelter, Donovan suddenly took an interest in the white winged girl from his distant musing. "Weel, that's rael kin o ye miss. If ye dae no mind ma intrusion, A wad love ti stay wi ye." Donovan had a sudden change of tone, his voice having an almost-intimacy to it, as though he were trying to convince the girl to accept him into her home, disregarding the fact that it had been her that offered the idea in the first place. "A'm a hard warker, an A can dae juist aboot anything ye aks o me. A can hunt for fuid an gather wood for a fire, if ye need. Or, if ye need any ither thing fram me, A'll dae it."

The angry looking man was being the kindest and most sociable he had been in weeks. And why not? This woman was offering shelter and safety, and he was not going to say no. It was an opportunity to get acquainted with the area. And if it meant that he got his hands on another of the Swords, he would do anything.

CastlesInTheSky

Gwen was a slight bit suspicious at his sudden niceness. Something made her feel like this wasn't exactly his normal behavior, but she shrugged it off. She figured he was just glad to have a place to stay instead of being stranded in this snowy place. He did sound like he would be a bit helpful while he was staying as well. She nodded to him, her lips curving into a slight smile. "Well, I'll be glad to have your company for a little, sir. My name's Gwen. I'm partly in the fur trading business, so if you need help with that in your stay, go ahead and say so. Now come this way; I wouldn't want you to freeze." She started to walk off towards her residence.