Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Can you hear me now? ((KIRI!))

Started by Anonymous, April 10, 2011, 08:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

She'd made herself quite at home in the forest.  It felt right, to be far away from the others of this world, away from the shrines they held.  The multitudes of shrines, and not one for Aquanis.  Nor any of the other elemental gods.  Bewildering.  

Sarathel still hadn't the slightest clue how she'd gotten to this world, how this world had not heard of hers.  Despite the abundance of the magically blessed, the elemental found this place peaceful.  No war between the gods and their children, overtaking everything.  Sure, some of the people here fought with others because of who they did or didn't believe in, but the world was not being torn apart.  

Kneeling by the small pond, she summoned her trident, and laid it in the shallows.  As peaceful as it was here, she worried.  About her brothers and sisters, about her father, about her world.  What had happened?  Closing her eyes, she slowly sank to the ground, her bracelets jangling softly as she moved, and started to pray.  For answers.  For even a simple reassurance that she wasn't the only one here.

She paused for a moment, then spoke out loud.  "Do you even hear me anymore, Father?  Does anyone?"

Anonymous

Vestige was a cat – a sly, devilish cat that would resort to chasing any mouse that dared to cross his path, no matter how small that poor, innocent mouse may be. Big mice, small mice, skinny mice, innocuous mice...  He would stop his day to day routine and swipe his paws at them, and before he left them to breathe out their spirits, he'd throttle them one last time, just for the hell of it, because that was who he was, that was what they programmed him to be.

So just when he thought he would leave Draconi Forest for good (to never, ever come back), that's when he heard it: another prayer. This prayer, unlike the one he had heard some time ago, was mellifluous in tune. If prayers wore shoes, this one would wear unassuming Mary Janes with ribbons fixed upon its heels.

He should've ignored it – like he did with ninety five percent of most prayers he heard on a daily basis. Most prayers were, in fact, silly little hopes that most people knew – deep down in their wretched little hearts – wouldn't come true anyway. Most people prayed just to relieve them from a stress that nothing else could ease. And yet, this prayer – so soft and innocent it was – did not seem... well, human to him. It was unnaturally pure, an exceptional magic user, or a powerful being, or someone who was almost godlike in nature.

Godlike.

That set off his radar, caused him to cease his running, wearing out the soles of his ragged, cumbersome combat boots while he attempted to change his peace. He did an almost literal one eighty, kicking up dirt and dusty as he twisted his body, heading towards the sound of that prayer, that nearly godlike prayer. At the same time, he was feeling like an idiot – he had been stupid enough to almost pass up hunting down a god, and to top it all off, the god had been praying, practically sending out a signal without even knowing it, and still, he had almost passed up this chance.

The god had almost walked free. Almost, but not quite.

He was a cat, after all – a cat that would not let any threat walk free, even the most unblemished of beings – if they were still gods (if they were still mice) then Vestige, as programmed, would pounce. He stalked his way through the forest without any sense of stealth. From a mile away, anyone could've heard him coming, could've felt his onslaught approaching.  He stormed through the forest in a flash of furious red, and to anyone else in the area, he may as well have been the devil, prowling through their home. And perhaps he was a devil – he would not refuse the title, but devil as he was, there was one thing in this world he could not stand, one thing in this world he could not let walk free...

Gods.

The artificial god came across her – the innocuous god – and felt his whole body tense. He did not stop to think why this god would bother to pray to another god, but at the moment, it was a trivial thought. What wasn't a trivial thought, one that wracked his whole mind, was the fact that this god was a girl. It did not support the idea of gods he had in his head – and of the gods he had met in the past. They were big, sprawling things that abused humans with their absolute power – he knew that for a fact! But it was always so infuriating, to meet one that looked as if she broke the mold!

Looks could be deceiving.

She had been kneeling by the small pond, praying, and had asked, "Do you even hear me anymore, Father? Does anyone?"

He laughed a little – a bitter laugh tinted by all the abuse his title and origins had given him throughout the years before his escape. In the palm of his right hand, out of thin air, he forged a ball of flames, one that appeared to lick and tease his flesh, but despite it, Vestige seemed calm. It was a predatory stance he took, with a predator's gaze haunting in his eye.

"I'd ask what a god was doing praying to the gods," he laughed, "but I'll be glad to answer your question for you." Because he was such a gentleman after all, wasn't he? "The gods don't hear you – even if they could, they wouldn't answer. The only one left to answer prayers is me." He was arrogant and conceited, a fool and philosopher, but whether what Vestige said was true or not, what mattered was that he believed it to be true. What probably mattered even more was that he was in a mood – that mood anyone gets when they find the thing they can't stand the most living right in their backyard. And so, here he was – the exterminator.

Anonymous

Sarathel was still kneeling, listening so intently for that familiar voice, searching so single mindedly for that beloved presense, that the sounds of Vestige's approach did not even register.  But when he spoke, then she realized she wasn't alone.  She jumped a bit, startled, then slowly got to her feet, the trident vanishing from the water's edge as she stood.  "I am not a god."  She replied firmly, as she turned to face the newcomer.  She'd put a stop to that idea immediately, afterall, such would only cause trouble.

Her attention drawn to the fire in his hand, and the intense aura surrounding him, the elemental felt a little nervous.  The look on his face only reinforced the air of danger surrounding the man.  "He would answer if..." she faltered, her concern clear in her voice, "if he could."  She gazed at him levelly.  "Whyever would Aquanis not answer his children?"  

She took a step back, bracelets and anklets chiming with her movement, and put a bit more space between herself and him.  "Who are you?  And why do you say these things?"  The man had an aura full of power, enough, no probably more than enough to match her own.  And his expression was beginning to make her doubt he'd popped up just for a conversation.  Another quick step back, and she was just ankle deep in the shallow end of the pond.  At least being in her element gave her the advantage.

((OOC:  i love your post.  <3  ))

Anonymous

It was funny, just how quickly his passionate, violent fervor could be amplified with one trifle sentence. The ball of fire that swirled wildly in his hand seemed to double in power at her claim, and Vestige's eyebrows were furrowed, with disbelief and annoyance.

"So that aura of yours," he started, his voice cocky, curled in a sarcastic snarl. "That loud, vibrant aura – are you trying to tell me it doesn't belong to an almighty god?" He laughed a little, and his laugh was rough and crooked, doused with disbelief. Such a firm sentence was not enough to deter him – after all, so many had sung the same song and dance before. "That's not gonna be enough, princess."

It wasn't impossible to prove him wrong, but a mere sentence wasn't going to be enough to do it.

She was confused, despite the situation, and was more concerned with wondering why her god of choice wasn't going to answer her. Aquanis, she had said? It probably meant she dealt with the water element – explaining the pool of water she had backed up in, explaining her 'water-esque' appearance. At the word 'Aquanis' Vestige let his fireball vanish, realizing he'd have to take a different approach with this one. If she was adept with water, it would be useless to try to use it against her.

"Because he's a tyrant," Vestige explained, and his voice was full of rage – as if he personally knew this god, as if he had suffered a horrendous fate under him. The truth: he hadn't, but he was a god – and all gods were the same. Violent tyrants who spit fire and torment onto the lands of the humans – they were worse than the devil himself.

"Because he doesn't care," he continued, and his voice was painted with that same fire, just as before. His feet were planted firmly on the ground, in tune with the forest, and a rumbling could be heard in the forest behind him. Vines, from the trees, that had hung lifeless before, were crawling lividly on the ground, towards Vestige, which wrapped around his arms, ready for use, ready to strike.

"And because he's a god," he finished, "And all gods are the same."

She asked him who he was, why he was saying such things – and to Vestige, such questions were inappropriate in this situation. He was going to kill her, he thought – it didn't matter how innocent she might look and sound because she was a god nonetheless, and no matter what she did or said, she'd always be a god – his mortal enemy. Still, he would entertain her, because he was also a showman, and because he would not deny his victim the name of their murderer.

"Vestige," his voice was blank, void of emotion. "The Godslayer." He stood there, an inferno of energy, fully convinced that she was a god, and that because she was, she was inherently evil. His lips curled into a small smirk, and he did something he never usually did when approaching a god for battle. He asked, and meant it, "Any last words?"

It was her last chance.

[ OOC | Thank you! It means a lot! <3 ]

Anonymous

She stared at him, wide eyed and dismayed.  It was hard to mistake the look in his eyes.  Murder.  He meant to kill her.  She took another step back, her trident appearing in her left hand, her slim fingers curling around the metal.  She clasped it in front of her at her chest, almost like a child clinging to a favored doll.  "I'm not a god."  She repeated, though her voice was far less confident than before.  "I'm just one of his children."  

His next words left her utterly speechless.  An uncaring tyrant?  How could he, how dare he.  The realization that he was commanding the power of the earth, and the sheer energy rolling off him, utterly stunned her.  

Godslayer?  She shuddered, taking another step back, getting knee deep in the water.  She was scared now.  There was no doubt, he meant to kill her.  But she wasn't going to run, or beg for mercy.  Vestige asked her if she had any last words, and Sarathel stared at him, shifting her grip on her trident, holding it more like a stave now.  

"You are mistaken.  My father is no tyrant."  The way he spoke of the gods, of her father, made her so angry.  "And he does care."  Her voice got a bit firmer, her confidence picking up.  "You have no reason to attack me.  I've done nothing to you."  She still didn't understand why he was so angry with her.

Anonymous

"I'm not a god."

Here we go again...

"I'm just one of his children."

...What? The child of a god. The child... of a god? It would explain a lot – like the innocence that seemed to seep from her system, her lack of self-righteousness, and the reason for her praying. He'd been stupid to ignore it, but if a 'god' bent down on his knees to pray to another god... did that make the praying god a god? A god shouldn't need another deity to pray to – the very act of doing so would diminish its own godhood. Section Forty Seven of the Third Edition of Deusmech's Deity Call had illustrated that in  black in white – he could remember because they forbade him from ever kneeling or praying to any other deity, or even from talking to himself, or clasping in his hands, even if it was for something simple like thanking the chef for a good meal.

So what did that make her?

He was still thinking, and it was easy to tell that doubt had slipped into his mind – that her defense had done its job. His body slacked, and the vines that he had wrapped around himself were slowly slipping away, back into the forest. The ground ceased its rumbling, and the look in Vestige's eyes went from violently anger to exceptionally confused.

"Goddamnit," he cursed, and spat on the ground, angry with himself. His eyes no longer seemed to be looking at the woman in front of him, but far off in the distance. "What's the protocol for this..." he muttered, and his eyes – they rolled back and forth, the way one's eyes rolled if they're reading a book – which was exactly what he was doing. Going through his mental rolodex, he flipped through pages upon pages of protocol that he had inflicted upon himself, wondering what the hell to do in a situation like this.

In fact, he had almost forgotten that she was there, until she spoke up in defense of her father, claiming that he was not a tyrant. He smirked a little, his eyes still scrolling through invisible book pages, looking at her, but not looking at her, and placing a hand on his hip, smug. "Oh, he's a tyrant alright." His voice had changed – this was Vestige, everyday Vestige, the asshole, the sarcastic, the guy who went out of his way to grate on your nerves. He still spoke as if he personally knew him, even though he had never seen an Aquanis in his life.

"He's a god, ain't he?" He tilted his head to the side – and was still looking at her, but his eyes were wheeling. He was a master multi-tasker, but it might've been weird for her, for someone to speak to her while looking at her, but obviously was not focusing on her. "So he's probably loud, self-righteous, conceited... and hell, maybe arrogant and sanctimonious... and a tyrant. Definitely a tyrant. But you? I'm not so sure yet."

After a few silent minutes, Vestige found his answer. The child of a god was a demi-god, which meant she should still be up for slaughtering, but demi-gods who prayed to gods had, in Vestige's eyes, given up their godhood. In cases like these, one needed actual proof of destructive behavior before attempting to slaughter his target. If she had just been a normal god, despite her praying, it wouldn't have mattered. But the child of a god...

Granted, he still had no proof that she was even the child of a god to begin with.

His eyes returned back to normal, they focused in on her again. "Alright, princess," he sighed, placing both hands on his hips and shaking his head. He had fully relaxed and untensed his body – as far as he could tell, she wasn't a threat... at the moment. "How do I know your story checks out? What if you're just pretendin' to be the child of a god, y'know, to escape my wrath? If that's the case, it's a pretty good story – but how can I know for sure?"

The godslayer pressed his palm to his forehead, sighing. "Ya know, if you're lyin' to me, I'm gonna have the shittiest week... I'll just keep thinking, 'man, that chick really pulled one over on me!' over and over. I probably wouldn't even get any sleep, if that happened. You don't want that to happen, do ya?"

Like she cared if he didn't get any sleep...

Anonymous

She was getting ready for the first strike.  Not to make it, but to defend against it.  And then he completely ceased to pay attention to her.  Sarathel watched in utter bewilderment as his eyes flipped back and forth rapidly.  The vines retreated, and the feeling of imminent danger faded.  Vestige stood there so quietly, his gaze flicking back and forth, and for a moment, she actually wondered if there was something wrong with him.  

She took a few steps forward, intending to get a better look at him.  She got as far as getting one foot up on the bank before he spoke up again, ranting on about her father's supposed personality flaws. "He is not a tyrant."  She retorted angrily, peeved once more by his insistence.  

Then he went quiet again, his eyes still twitching back and forth so strangely. "Are you..."  She spoke very quietly, just barely above a whisper, "alright?"  He was so strange, and she was actually starting to feel a bit concerned.  

But as he relaxed, Sarathel let go of her trident, the weapon shimmering briefly before disappearing.  It didn't seem she was going to be attacked now.  He questioned her story, and she crossed her arms over her moderately endowed chest, and gave him a serious look.  Why would she make things up?

"You don't want that to happen, do ya?"

Her eyes widened a bit, the elemental's guarded expression morphing to one of dismay and concern.  It was completely against her nature to wish harm on anyone, even if they were intent on killing her moments before.  Sure, she could defend herself against an attack with no moral conflicts, but wishing harm on another when she wasn't being threatened?  No way.

"I'm not lying.  I would never lie.  Not even to an enemy."  She spoke softly, her voice barely any louder than before.  The woman really wasn't sure what to think of Vestige now, other than how very...strange he was.

Anonymous

Vestige never had the luxury of having a god to believe in, but if he did, he'd be quick to defend him, and with a better line than, 'my father's not a tyrant.' He'd seen religious people burn down villages of others didn't believe in their gods, he'd seen family turn against family for not sharing the same beliefs, but this one, all she did was defend him with that same little sentence, as if that would change his mind. Maybe she didn't care about changing his mind. In any case, her inability to strike him first – despite the fact that he had been ready to take her life and even had the audacity to insult her god – was only working in her favor, sadly.

"Man," he sighed, shoving his hands in his pockets. "I get it, I get it – I'll leave your precious god, alone, for now." Oh, wait – he had a better idea! "Or, maybe you could tell me where he's hiding, yeah?" The 'he' being her Aquanis, or whatever her god was called. "I'd feel a lot better letting you off the hook if you did that." He laughed a little – the thought of her giving up the location of wherever her god was hiding was indeed laughable – and hell, there was always a chance that this 'Aquanis' character was just one of those invisible gods, one made up by humans, one who never had a physical form in the first place.

All joking aside, this character was insatiably strange to Vestige. She had let her weapon disappear, for one thing – who was to say that he had made up his mind just yet? What if he decided that he'd rather not risk it, and kill her on the spot? Granted, she seemed to know what he did not – when he was like this, when protocol said no, he couldn't just disobey rules, especially when he knew he'd be breaking a rule here. He rubbed the back of his head, sighing. It was so strange – she even seemed a little worried about him, back there. And now, as he joked about not being able to get any sleep, she held an almost concerned expression in her features.

"With any other case, I would say something like, 'How am I supposed to believe you?'" Vestige informed, sighing. "But there's something really annoying about you – in a good way, mind." He nodded, as if he was making all the sense in the world. "Something that says I might be able to take your word for it."

He laughed though, at her quickness to call him an enemy. "Hey, I take offense to that." And he was joking, although it might've been strange, to joke with someone who seemed so serious before. "If you are who you say you are, we ain't enemies – we could even be friends... maybe."

The godslayer grinned, a shady smile. "Hell, if you take me to Aquanis, we could even be comrades! You could give him the ol' one-two for not answering your prayers – and then I could finish up the job." He threw punches to an invisible opponent, sizing up the air in front of him, laughing. He knew she would say no – but he wanted to get a rise out of her, to see if it was even possible. She seemed so calm, but then, all people with a bit of 'god' in them were so righteously collected, like they all knew something Vestige didn't.

Anonymous

When he asked her where Aquanis was, at first, Sarathel stared at him as if he'd gone mad.  Lead a godslayer to a god?  No matter her faith in her father's abilities, such an act would never be appropriate.  If she even knew where to start looking for him.  And with that thought, the elemental's expression turned sad again.  "Even if I could...I don't even know where he is."  She didn't dare voice her other thoughts, not to this one.  That perhaps, somehow, Aquanis was no more.  Some of them had fallen in that awful battle.

He sighed, and she glanced back up at him.  "Of course you can take my word.  I have never lied."  She looked a little alarmed as he claimed offense to something she had said, and shook her head.  "I did not mean you were an enemy."  At his mention of friends, Sarathel quickly suppressed her hopeful emotions.  The one she'd befriended earlier had disappeared, and the only other person she'd found like him had done the same.

She shook her head at his offer.  "Do you really think I would guide a godslayer to him?  And I could never even be angry at Aquanis, let alone strike out against him."  She might have seemed calm, but really, the elemental was anything but.  She still felt lost and isolated here, and so upset over not being able to reach Aquanis.

((Sorry about the extended wait!))

Anonymous

[ OOC | Don't worry about it, glad to see you're back and doing alright! ]

Oh, great – now he felt bad.

He had been trying to get her to show some emotion, sure, but the sadness penciled in on her features was a little more than Vestige could take. Yeah, he was a godslayer, bent on annihilating all beings who called themselves 'god,' but hell, that didn't mean he liked to make girls sad! Man! She seemed like she really missed this Aquanis guy, which would make sense considering he was her father, or whatever. Vestige couldn't remember what it was like to have a father, or what it would be like to miss one. Maybe it was like missing a close friend, or an old girlfriend, except worse? Man, he didn't know, but it must hurt, surely.

"See, this is why I don't like gods," Vestige muttered, shaking his head. "Why not try livin' your life without worrying about this Aquanis guy? The world's a pretty rad place, if you give it a chance." Besides being, you know, a demi-god, she actually seemed like a decent girl. Vestige found himself a little amused at her alarmed expression when he joked about them being enemies – man, she seemed all morals and no... no spark! But that wasn't her fault – it was religion that did this to people. Sucked up their souls and left them as shallow husks of the people they could've been.

He stood akimbo, thinking. "How'd you even end up gettin' separated from him, anyway?" Not that it was any of his business, but hey! Vestige could be a caring guy... sometimes! Alright, so secretly Vestige was a big softy when gods were not involved, but no one needs to know that! No one.

Anonymous

She was lost in thought now, just barely paying attention to Vestige.  Sarathel only heard him when he spoke up the second time, and she glanced back at him.  She was silent for a long moment, her wide blue eyes gazing straight into his.  Finally, she sighed and spoke up.  "It's a very long story."  She fell quiet again, debating where to start, and finally just decided to start with the elemental's creation.

"There were five gods, on a world called Terra.  They loved mortals, but as much as they wanted to, they couldn't speak to them.  The gulf between the realm of the gods and Terra was too vast, so they created us, the elementals.  We were something the people could see and touch, proof of the gods' power.  We built and tended the temples to the gods..."  She paused, about to name the five gods, and considered exactly who she was talking to.  No, she'd skip names for now, sure it'd only rile him up, and she was much happier NOT having to defend herself.

"Everything was right then.  We could hear the gods and we tended to the mortals' needs.  But, one by one, the gods stopped talking to us.  The silence went on for so long, we feared that we had been forgotten."  She shivered involuntarily, remembering how miserable a time it had been.  "And then the others started saying that we were gods, and soon the mortals believed, and..."  She stopped, trying to figure out how to explain something to a stranger, that Sarathel didn't even understand herself.  "They became deluded.  They believed in their own lies, and struck down their own brothers and sisters for not agreeing."

She sat on the bank abruptly, trailing her left hand through the water absently and watching the patterns.  "I wasn't the only one that kept hoping the gods would come back.  That something could be done to fix that awful mess.  But when they came back, it only got worse.  The elementals that claimed to be gods turned on them.  And it ruined everything.  They killed Calendris."  She'd loved the gentle earth goddess as much as she'd loved her father.  And after that, things had rapidly gone downhill.  

"If only they hadn't..."  She stopped, realizing she was thinking out loud.  And such awful thoughts.  To blame it on the gods...Sarathel felt awful.

((Vestige has turned Sarathel into an angsty little girl.  omgwat.))

Anonymous

Normally, when people said that their story was very long, they never bothered to tell it. The phrase 'it's a long story', Vestige learned, was a defense mechanism, one that people used to not even bother telling the story at all. This one was different though – she had actually opened up to him, despite how heavy the story must've weighed on her heart. He definitely hadn't expected her to tell him – a stranger, who had made his first impression on her by attempting to kill her before they had even spoken. To be honest, it was the first time that Vestige had spoken to a demi-god without the intention of slaughtering it... and he was glad he had stopped to listen.

At first, he thought he shouldn't be listening to this story – was it going to be a story of the gods, and how happy everyone had been because of them? No, of course not – it was something much, much darker. He shouldn't have been surprised though – he knew what evils could be created when gods were involved. He was a living example of it, after all.

She spoke of her role on the earth – of how the gods had placed her and people like her in charge of temples on her planet, but the gods had lost touch with them. It was typical – the people would lose faith in an intangible god eventually. It was something Deusmech had recognized, why they had created a flesh god instead of religion based totally on faith.

In the end, everything turned gory. And she was still grieving over it, Vestige could tell.

"I'm sorry about your friend," Vestige said softly, bowing his head. He wasn't sure who Calendris is, but even if it was a god, Vestige wasn't such a massive jerk that he couldn't show respect for the dead – the dead who his company considered a good friend. "Such massive chaos and destruction... over what? Some stupid disagreement about gods..." He spat on the ground, disgusted again.

"You can say it," Vestige urged, his arms crossed. "It's not blasphemy. You were thinking, 'if only the gods hadn't stopped talking to you,' right? If only they had come back." It was a common trait amongst gods – they were never there when the people who relied on them needed on them. It disgusted him, made him want to find these gods right now and end them, but he was calm, for the most part. "Cheer up – you're alive, though, right? And if your elemental friends are as hardy as you are, maybe they're alive too."

He shook his head, thinking. "So let me guess – you've been trying to contact these guys ever since all of this went down, I bet?" He placed his hands on his hips – his thinking posture. "You try contacting them in the churches in Serendipity? They're the most spiritual places I've seen on my travels yet." And he only knew this because he had scoped them out on retcon once or twice – they were all in such populated areas... Impossible to take out without causing an unnecessary riot with unnecessary causalities.

Anonymous

She was quiet as he spoke, trying to regain her calm composure.  The entire conflict had been so awful.  Watching everything fall apart, seeing both mortal and elemental fall...it greatly upset her.  And made her so mad.  It could have easily been avoided.  

"..they never should have left us alone..."  She closed her eyes and let out a slow sigh.  There had to be reasons behind it all.  Had to be.  Sarathel simply wouldn't let herself think otherwise.  Gods were perfect, they didn't make mistakes.  Even if she couldn't understand it, there was a reason behind it all, somewhere.

She glanced back over her shoulder at him as he mentioned the churches.  "I am not entirely sure I would be welcome there."  Her voice sounded every bit as uncertain as her words.  "Not a soul I've spoken to here has even heard of my father, yet they seem to know of gods I have never heard of before."  She shifted on the bank, turning to face him a bit more.  "And...I have yet to venture very far from this forest."  She admitted quietly, her cheeks pinking ever so slightly in embarrassment.  "It's very peaceful here, just like my father's temples."

Anonymous

Man, Vestige wasn't sure how in the hell he had ended up in this situation – consoling a demigod about the loss of her god... How had this happened again? He wasn't sure, but he furrowed his brows, attempting to find a way to console her in any way he knew how. Being a "god" himself, he was well-versed in the specifics of godly creatures – he was sure that if she was praying to him and he wasn't answering him, if he was truly a "god" then he was ignoring her, or putting her on his "to do list." And the to-do lists of gods sometimes grew very long – he would know. Honestly, he wanted to tell her to forget about him, because he doubted he would ever answer if he hadn't done so already. Already he didn't like this Aquanis guy, and he didn't even know him. But that was typical – anyone labeled as a god was an enemy in Vestige's book.

He laughed a little, shaking his head at her confession – that she had been staying in the forest for quite some time. "Really?" he asked, almost unable to believe it. "I mean, this forest is nice and all, but the world's a pretty big place, yeah? There's a lot more to it than this dreary place." He looked around, unable to imagine someone like her actually living in this place. "What do you do for fun, anyway? Pray?" He didn't mean it to be rude, but Vestige was naturally uncouth, so it might've accidentally come across that way. He cast his onyx eyes around the forest – he hadn't been planning to stay here for long. In fact, he'd been heading to Serendipity, but her aura had demanded his attention.

"Listen, you can't stay here forever. You're a demigod, aren't you? Gods are supposed to work for the people. You can't stay here and keep your powers to yourself." It was Vestige's only philosophy – as a god of sorts, he worked for the people, taking out false prophets and tyrants, so the people would no longer be a slave to their lies and greed. That was why he was a godslayer – because a god who didn't help others was scum. "If Serendipity's not your thing... You ever been to La'marri? People are a lot more accepting there..." He was quiet for a minute, pondering. "You could set up a shrine for your dad there – maybe that would get his attention, yeah?" Nothing stroked a god's ego like a good ol' fashioned shrine. Vestige would know. Been there, done that.

Anonymous

She glanced up at him, a little confused when he laughed. "It feels like home to me here.  And here I have not felt threatened by others..."  'Except by you'.  Sarathel thought silently.  Though, Vestige hadn't shown any sign of wanting to kill her again.  She was starting to feel quite comfortable around him.  The elemental wasn't quite sure how to respond to his little comment about praying, so she simply gave him a stern look.  "I happen to enjoy simply being around the river and ponds here, thank you."  Her tone was just the tiniest bit sharp.  Perhaps there was a bit of the spark Vestige had been looking for earlier.

When he suggested traveling to La'marri, the look dropped from her face as she thought about that idea.  Setting up a new shrine appealed to her very much.  In fact, she was eager to get started now.  Only there was one problem.  That is, she had no idea where La'marri was, or how to get there.

She glanced back up at Vestige, quietly wondering if it was wise to even ask what she was thinking.  It sounded like he had been there before, and she really was quite tired of being alone all the time.  After a moment, she finally decided to ask anyways, and if he got mad at her, well, she'd have to calm him down somehow.  "I don't know where La'marri is, but I would like go there.  Perhaps...you could show me the way?"

Anonymous

Ah, there was a spark! The godslayer couldn't help but smirk at her quip – to be honest, he hadn't thought her capable of lashing back at him, but she had done it, to his surprise! "Oh?" He tilted his head, his fiery red hair falling to the side as he did so. "Well excuuuse me, princess," he retorted, laughing good-naturedly.

Normally, this sort of thing would enrage him – praying, paying tribute to a god who obviously didn't give a damn about her and her needs, but today, he could only find it amusing. She was so dedicated, even when she had absolutely no reason to be. Loyalty to gods was something Vestige could never wrap his head around – especially after the story she had told. But it was too late – she was not a threat, and he could not lay a hand on her even if he wanted to. Protocol was very clear on cases like this.

So apparently, she wanted to go to La'marri, and wanted him to take her there. He stretched out his arms and folded his arms behind his head, grinning. "'Course I'll take you – if you don't mind a godslayer bein' your escort, that is." It had to be clear that she remembered who he was – a killer or gods, someone whose life was dedicated to slaying all that who decided to call themselves deities. In her case, she was safe, but he had sworn no oath to spare any other godly beings in his path.

He swung his arms back down to his sides, and placed a free hand on his hip, squinting his eyes while looking around the clearing. "It might be a lengthy trip, though... You sure you're up for it, princess?" His eyes lit up – if onyx black eyes could have life in them at all – and he turned to her suddenly, leaning forward, closer to her.

"But if I'm gonna be your escort, I'm gonna need to know your name, right?" He rubbed his knuckles on the front of his shirt, looking down nonchalantly. "You already know me – Vestige, the godslayer, etcetera." He looked up at her again, laughing. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. I could just keep calling you 'princess' instead." Even if she did tell him her name, Vestige probably would end up sticking with her newfound nickname anyway...

Anonymous

She quirked an eyebrow at him, unamused as he retorted.  Princess?  His next statement got a brief look of confusion to cross her face.  "I would not have asked if I didn't want you to escort me."

"And my name is Sarathel.  Not Princess."  She didn't really care for the nickname already, and if he was going to call her that the entire time...it'd be a long trip indeed.  "How far away is La'marri?"  He seemed amused by the nickname, and that did not bode well.

Still.  Being called by an annoying nickname was far better than being attacked by him, and at least she'd have some company on the trip.

((OOC:  I am REALLY sorry about how long it's taking me to post.  Life bit me in the ass recently.  I'll try to post everywhere else by the end of this week, though.))

Anonymous

[ OOC | Dude, don't worry about it! Life sneaks up on all of us sometimes. Take your time with posting, we'll always be here! ]

Ahh, she could be a real stick in the mud, couldn't she? Vestige still wasn't sure of what he thought of her – after all, it was the first time he had ever met a demigod who broke the rules. A demigod, praying to another god... Damn, he still couldn't wrap his head around it, and it was madness for him to even be fraternizing with her even if she broke the rules – but hell, there was no harm in it. Protocol forbid him from touching her, and she really did seem distraught by all that had happened. And wasn't it his job, to try and make the world a better place? If he couldn't beat her, he may as well join her.

He shook his head, sticking his hands in his pockets. "Just makin' sure you know what you're getting into here, princess. I mean, if we come across any gods along the way, our trip might get delayed... if you know what I mean." He said this in a joking tone, but in reality, he was quite serious. Should he sense any godlike auras around the forest while he was escorting her, he would be inclined to stop and seek it out. There were a lot of strange auras in this area to begin with – he had been travelling through this damn place for days and he hadn't been able to do it without getting interrupted by something or another...

"Sarathel, huh?" he echoed, testing out her name. He decided that it was a decent name – but calling her princess would do well to get a ruse out of her. And – good question, how far away was La'marri? "I'd say we're in the western end of the Draconi Forest – so La'marri is probably... a day or so away. You sure you're up for the walk?"

He led the way – out of the clearing, through the thick jungle and bramble, where La'marri was hiding. "After all," he went on, looking over his shoulders, "You don't look like the type who loves a good romp in the ol' outdoors, ya know?" Everything he said to her was just another attempt to see some sort of spark in her – she was just the kind of person Vestige loved to mess around with. It was always amusing to push the buttons of these law-and-order types of people. Besides, he had never been able to talk to a demigod on this sort of level – it was so bizarre.

Anonymous

She scowled at Vestige as he called her princess again.  No, she did not like that nickname in the least, though as he mentioned possible delays, her thoughts were immediately diverted.  What was Sarathel supposed to do if such a situation came up?  What could she do?  The elemental was convinced that if it came down to a fight, it wouldn't matter what side she took.  She was no match for a god, and as for Vestige...she hadn't a doubt he could wipe her out easily.

Still...she pushed such thoughts away, since it was no sense worrying about it now.  "I am quite alright with walking."  She wasn't some spoiled little girl, afterall.  She followed after him at a steady pace, blinking at his last remark.  "A romp?"  She chuckled faintly.  "I am quite at home outside, I assure you.  The temple I tended was quite far away from any cities or villages back home."  It had been peaceful.  Sure, there were always people coming and going, but she was always free to slip away to the gardens or streams while a sister or brother dealt with the mortals.

Anonymous

To think, that someone as refined as a demi-god was alright with walking... Vestige raised an eyebrow and smirked, realizing that this one might be full of surprises. He hadn't expected it, for her to be someone who was fine with the outdoors, but then again, despite her demigod attire, she was someone who had control over the water element, wasn't she? If she wasn't okay with being outside, that would probably be weirder than if she wasn't.

Still, Vestige didn't know too much about the actual personalities of godlike creatures; all he knew was that their presence was a strain against the mortals who were forced to reside in the same realm as them, if they even existed, that is. Whether a god was dead, alive, or nonexistent, they were still a threat – but somehow, protocol had protected her from his wrath. Whether this would come back to bit him in the ass later was still unknown to him, but for now, he was somehow fine with the way things had turned out.

"I didn't pin you for the outdoorsy type," Vestige started with a laugh, shaking his head. "But you're full of surprises, aren't ya?" The forest was thick with undergrowth as they traversed deeper into the woods, but Vestige would occasionally blast a troublesome tree root out of the way, or bend a branch that hung in their direction inwards, constantly clearing the path.

She had said her home, or at least, the temple she tended to, was far from any cities... Curious, he looked over to her. "What was it like, anyway – helping people at the temple?" It was the duty of any godlike being to help people to the full extent of their ability – that's what Vestige had been told. Any god who violated such a rule, or used their power to become tyrants over mortals, should be exterminated.

His tone was curious, devoid of his usual sarcasm – he was truly curious, about her home away from this world. Once upon a time, Vestige had been a "god," and had helped people the best he knew how, at the time. But now that his methods to helping humans had changed, he couldn't help but wonder if it was possible – to truly help humans with peace and prayer. He knew what the answer to that was, of course – a big fat no – but it didn't stop him from occasionally entertaining the idea.