Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Open your soul, maybe lose control

Started by Anonymous, May 24, 2011, 04:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Harsh was right – harsh only scraped the surface.

The truth of the situation was that Reks had never told anyone about his situation before – he had never seen a reason to, had never been asked about it. And why bother? He was a lone wolf - he didn't work in packs. And if he did – with fellow mage hunters – then they wouldn't care to hear his life story, and with good reason, because he wouldn't have cared to hear about their own histories. But here, in this tavern, in the bitter cold of Hyoite, he somehow was okay with telling Solae all this – and he barely knew her, for crying out loud. He was going soft.

"I'm sure there was something more to it," Reks muttered – voicing thoughts that he had been sure to keep in the back of his mind. "There was some reason why she choose to curse me – not because of what I had saw, but for some other reason. Some connection I had with him, maybe, but..." He sighed, furrowed his brows. "I just don't know. I don't have any of the answers that I need."

She held out her hand to her, and claimed that he deserved a good deed to be done onto him, and that it would be best to get this over with. He nodded, standing up from the table, and waved over to his good friend, barkeep. "Sorry about the mess!" he called over to him, to which the barkeep narrowed his eyes, and probably muttered something about how glad he was, to be rid of the no good cityboy.

"I'm ready," he told Solae, looking up at her, determined. On the outside, he was full of determination, brimming with a certain spark of unmeasurable fortitude. On the inside, he wasn't sure – full of doubt, and fear. But he would not let it show. He was a master at wearing a tough guy face – there was no way he would let his doubt show.

Anonymous

She led him toward the bartender and chuckled at the comment. Watching Reks walk outside, but she turned to tip the man so his time cleaning was more enjoyable. And she stepped outside and looked at the boy. "Well.. I'm glad I brought what I needed." She pointed to her bag. Then ruffled up his hood and chuckled. "Come now. This is going to be a long day."

She turned and headed off towards the woods. There was a clearing a couple of miles in that would be perfect for this. No one would see the lights from the fire or hear the chanting. Or the screams. What ever happened would be between them. And that would be the best.

She seemed to walk as though she knew exactly where to go, though she would stop to look back a Reks to make sure he was still there. When they made it to the clearing, she pushed aside some snow and then started to gather wood to make a fire. Reks would need the heat more than her, but she wanted him comfortable.

Anonymous

It was already hard enough for Reks to put his fate – or maybe even his life – in the hands of a total stranger, but to follow her out into the woods, into the wilderness... This was even a harder test of courage. But, still, Solae traversed through the snowy bramble with grace and purpose – she knew what she was doing, of course. Her easy stride made him a little more comfortable, at least – whatever the hell this ritual entailed, at least she knew what she was doing. At least he would be in the hands of someone capable... right? Right.

She seemed capable at everything – of kindness, patience, charity. Perhaps it was just too hard for him to believe, that someone would smile at him and extend out a hand to aid him, without even knowing him, or anything about him except for his name and a sordid past. He bit his lip, looking up at her as he trailed behind her through the bramble, still wondering if, maybe, this had been all part of some strange dream. But the bitter cold stung at his flesh, and he could still feel the pain of the curse soaring through his tattoos – ah, he was alive, definitely.

Once they had reached the clearing, she began to collect firewood, to which Reks jumped at the chance to help. "Here – let me get that," he offered, and swiftly began to collect wood. He was good at being quick at this sort of thing – hunting mages through the thick and thin of forests made one able to adapt in any situation. He had also learned to bring his own flint with him at all times – he wasn't a mage after all, and couldn't make fire appear out of thin air. He sat, cross-legged, using the flint and bit of steel to create sparks, staring at the bundle of wood determinedly. Of all the things Reks wanted to be, he wanted to be useful to her, most of all.

The fire was started with no time – as expected of someone of Reks' caliber. He sat near the fire, staring into the flames with his knees pulled up toward his chest, before looking up at her suddenly. He knew knew now was not the time for idle chatter, but he couldn't help but ask, "Is it true, Solae? That you've... never met another cat before?" It wasn't so hard to believe, really, since he had never met another cat either. "I mean, even without the cat ears, I'm..." Not anything special. Just a delinquent kid on the streets. Just someone passing through. "It's hard to believe, that you're doing all this just for me." He knew, he knew, he was bringing this up again, but it was so hard to justify her kindness. For Reks, this sort of unwarranted kindness – to him, of all people – was hard to believe in.

Anonymous

She turned and watched Reks take the wood from her and quickly start stacking them in the firepit. Amused she 'sat on air' but was using her strong tail as a ballast as she watched him spark up the fire with flint. She took note of how it was done without magic, and she was highly amused at that. Too much work in her eyes.

She stood up and walked over to the flames. Sitting on a stump next to Rek's and she started pulling items out of her bag as he spoke, letting him fully finish his ramble of thoughts before she turned and looked at him. "Do you know how rare it is for a humanoid and a feline creature to procreate?" she asked, smiling to Reks. "You're probably lucky, being turned into a cat. You can hide it. But, for me..? My mother was feline. Her instincts are to raise you for so long then let you go. I haven't seen her since I was three-- when I left her side. I suppose that makes you strong. It's what led me to get my profession." Though she still didn't come right out to say she was a mage. She thought he knew.

She turned back to the flames, then to her bag. Setting the knife on her lap, then she took out a small book that looked as though its been passed down for years. Picking up an apple she set out earlier and handed it to him. "Here. Munch on this." she chuckled. Pulling out a bag of herbs and she opened it.

Fishing through different stems and leaves that weren't labeled she pulled out what she needed and tossed them into the flames. There was a burst of smoke and the fire turned blue and got much hotter. She reached out and her hand started to glow as she moved them in a pattern and seemed to catch the smoke and meld it into a very familiar design for Reks. The same one that he would've seen somewhere when he was cursed. And she lowered her arms. That smoke symbol continuing to hang over the hot flames.

Then she looked to Reks to see his reaction.  She did just use magic.

Anonymous

Reks squinted at the fruit she handed him, and was suddenly reminded of all the crap he had for breakfast. If it had been any other day, he would've eaten the apple with vigor, but today... well, he didn't have room for anything else! He looked up to make sure she wasn't watching, then buried the apple under a pile of snow, trying to look as innocent as possible. It was funny, though, because him refusing to eat an apple she had given him would soon grow to be the least of his worries.

Before him, she made smoke – and gods, not just any smoke, but forged it into the same symbols he had seen, so many years ago. How long had it been, he wondered, since he had been a scared little kid, staring up into the face of a mage who would only be known as the witch from that day forth, knowing that he was useless, scared, and unable to do a thing – to help his friend, or to help himself? Now, he stared up at the same symbols again, but this time, a stranger was conjuring them – conjuring them! With magic! The same person he had shared a bed with that night. The same person who he was slowly growing to trust, in his own warped way.

The person who was conjuring magic in front of him was a mage.

He stood up, defensive, crouched – under his hood, his cat ears twitched in defiance, and stood tall with anger. He narrowed his eyes, speechless, locked in an anger he could not even begin to grasp straws at. When she had said she was going to help him – she meant with magic, goddamnit, she had meant it all that time. How had he been so blind? How had he, a mage hunter, allowed this to happen? Not only had he managed to fraternize with the enemy, but he had almost let her break through all his mental defenses, had almost let her get through...

"You're a mage." He said the word mage the way one would say the word manure – with snide, contempt, disgust. It was still too much to comprehend – and now that he stared up at those symbols, at her conjurings, he knew he couldn't trust her. How could he trust anyone who had just as much power to curse him as the witch did? She probably meant to amplify the curse, or maybe she worked for the witch, or worse... He took two steps backwards, his eyes still narrowed. "I can't believe it... you're a goddamn mage."

How could he have been so stupid? Despite everything, Reks' adrenaline was shot; in this sort of situation, where he needed to choose to either fight or flee, he couldn't choose either. Instead, he stood there, still as a stone statue. He had nearly trusted her. He had been so in awe of her... How could this have happened?

Anonymous

Solae looked over as Reks stood and became very defensive stance. She knew something would happen after he had told her his profession. She was his enemy. But, Solae made a promise, and she was very keen on her promises. She turned away from him and let her ears droop as she picked up that ceremonial knife and stood up. She held her arm above the symbol in smoke and brought the blade to her wrist. In one swift movement she sliced into her skin deeply and let her blood stain the smoke.

Her blood seemed to spiral around the smoke, filling it, changing it to a dingy red color before seeping out and forming another character throughout that one. Making the curse he bore into a whole other curse-- a curse on herself. As the symbol laid out, it sucked more and more blood from her.

Her own personal curse hardened in the air then shifted and twisted over top the symbol that bound him and then bursted out with a green light which reached out and surrounded him. Sucking the pain from him and causing the tattoos to fade. Suddenly Solae cried out in pain-- the cut didn't hurt her much, but those tattoos that marred his wrists formed on her sides and she fell to her knees. Holding her side.

The green light soon faded and Reks was left in human form-- his normal form. Solae grimaced and pulled her hand from her side. She dipped her fingers into the blood seeping from her wrist and drew a line over the tattoos on his sides and they soon faded. But she wasn't expecting him to have been in that much pain. She struggled to get out the bandages to wrap her wrist. She was still losing quite a bit of blood.

Anonymous

Fight, or flight?

He still couldn't decide, still couldn't do either. This was how natural selection worked, wasn't it? People who were too stupid to confront danger when they saw it ended up being killed. Perhaps he was not fit to survive, a person like Reks, someone who allowed strangers to win him over with the promise of neutralizing a curse. She couldn't have been telling the truth, of course – because she was a mage. He couldn't trust her, and if he couldn't fight, then he'd have to leave... So then why, why could he only stand here, hoping that what he had just seen was a lie?

Despite everything, she still drew out that damned knife. He remembered the first time he had seen it, just this morning, and had wondered just what it was for. He had figured it would be for him now, to inflict some sort of unnatural, magical pain on him, but imagine Reks' face – when she did not advance towards him with the knife, as he had surely thought she would. What had she said before, at the tavern? That this would take quite a toll on her, or something, and he had wondered what she meant...

"You idiot, don't –!" He started, but it was too late – she had done it, she had took the knife to her own wrist. His eyes widened as he watched her, confused, afraid – but not for himself. Despite this damned green light that surrounded him – light from magic, light that was unnatural, powerful, sick, and wrong – he was not afraid. In fact, the light seemed to be... helping him? Healing him... Taking away all of his pain.

He almost felt dizzy, from being free from a pain that he had felt too long, constantly, for every waking moment of his life, since he had been cursed. Was this what it was like, to not feel the poison running through his veins? He pressed a hand to his head, and realized that this cat ears were gone, as if they had never even existed in the first place. Had ... had Solae really?

Her yelp of pain reminded him – she had really hurt herself, had shed her own blood, for him. To help him – a stranger, who she barely even knew, who called her a goddamn mage – she hadn't even hesitated.

"Solae!" he cried out, knowing that she must've been in a world of pain, if she had took on his curse. He ran to her side, and, as she did not hesitate to hurt herself to help him, he did not hesitate to help her in return. Reks, biting his lip, took the bandages from her bag, and swiftly, efficiently, wrapped them around her wrist. He pulled the bandages tighter, and as he wrapped them, could not bear to look her in the eye.

"Solae, I'm..." He hung his head, shaking it, biting his lip. A few droplets of tears fell on her freshly bandaged wrist, despite Reks' best efforts to keep them inside. "I'm sorry," he whispered, his voice hoarse, small, and scared. He put pressure on her wrist, to stop the bleeding, and tried to stop himself from shaking like a leaf. "I'm so sorry..."

She was the most courageous person he had ever known.

Anonymous

Everything around her got blurry, and her shaky hands had knocked over her bag as she reached for the bandages she stupidly left in the bag. But this pain was horrid! She had taken on his curse, and the pain would diminish soon enough. But initially it made her feel like she had cut out her own innards and laid them out on the flame for some messed up bbq. She winced, holding her side again and reaching out.

But this time everything went black. She fell a little limp and panted. Managing to get her eyes open to see Reks at her side and felt a horribly painful pressure on her wrist. She stared at his face, confused to see the streaks the tears left. She closed her eyes, then struggled to open them again. "D-don't apologize." she said softly. "I can only do so much to take from you what Lelana did." she said in a weak voice. It was true... Seeing those tattoos she knew exactly who had cursed him. Those markings were something that ran in the family. And, in truth, she got her powers because the very father of the girl who cursed Reks was part demon. And that man was the one who fathered her.

Solae looked at Reks with watery eyes. "I... I can only... neutralize that curse... because I share the blood of the one.. who made it." She said softly and swallowed hard. "But... that's a lot of pain.." she chuckled weakly. "You can... leave... if you really want. I'll stay close enough. But I know you don't... like 'mages.'"

Anonymous

Lelena.

She spoke the name – the name of the witch – the name he had almost allowed himself to forget. But there it was, the truth brought forth into the light, and with her name, he could remember her face. He wanted to forget it all, but he couldn't – he had to stop being such a kid. Finally, he allowed himself to look up at Solae, his eyes wide, brimming with questions.

"Lelena?" he echoed. "You know her – the witch? How..." He knew she was weak – her voice was hoarse and ragged, so how could he sit there and demand answers from her? Instead, he shook his head, knowing that the answers would come in due time. But she mentioned the curse – and that the only reason she had been able to neutralize it was because she was related to... Lelena? How could that even be possible?

Lelena wasn't a cat... So how... He didn't understand, so he tucked all the questions in the back of his mind – for later, when she was stronger. "Sssh, don't talk – save your strength," he muttered, still keeping pressure on her wound. She seemed to out of it to do it herself, and it made a beam of pride shoot up in his heart – that he could take care of her, this extraordinary woman – this exceptional mage, of all people, who had really kept her promise, for him.

"You can... leave... if you really want. I'll stay close enough. But I know you don't... like 'mages.'"

He stared at her incredulously, eyebrow raised, as if he could not believe what he had just heard. What happened next was unexplainable, even to him – there was just a surge of emotion that ran wild through his  head, all of them conflicting and confusing, and he only knew one way to make sense of anything. He brought Solae close to him, his hands on her shoulders, and brought his lips to hers. The kiss was quick, filled with all of his emotion toward her – his confusion, with a hint of lust.

He drew back from her, shaking his head, scowling at himself, while still keeping pressure on the wound. "Don't say stupid shit like that," he cursed, biting his lip. "I'm not leaving your side, Solae." He couldn't, not after all she had done.

Anonymous

She tried to word things.. but her breath came up short. Especially when he leaned in and kisser her. That made her eyes widened and she looked up at him. He told her to save her strength, and after getting kissed by someone who supposedly hated her because she was a mage... She was very confused.

Solae shifted a bit and sat up slightly.. but ended up slumping against his shoulder and winced. The intense pain was gone now.. Just the sting of the cut remained. And the dizzy feeling swirling in her head from lack of blood. But she was persistent and reached up to rub her forehead. Then grit her teeth and forced herself to stand. Staggering a bit. "T-too cold to be... outside. You'll get sick." Even though she was weak.. she would be able to maintain body heat better than him. He was human. No heavy fur. But this walk was going to be tough on her. And she was trying her best not to think of that kiss. Sure, he was hot. But he hated her. Her mind still wrapped around those words. And though she found herself attracted to him, she wasn't allowing those feelings to come to fruition. So she didn't upset him.

Anonymous

She hadn't said anything about the kiss, and maybe it was better that she didn't, because not even Reks knew what had caused him to act so boldly. But this feeling – these emotions he felt toward her, that lay buried in his chest – they only intensified as she started to stand up, albeit shakily, saying that it was too cold for him to be in the snow. He shook his head, unable to believe it – after all that happened, was she still worrying about him?

"Don't worry about me," Reks grunted – but it was true, they probably should head back to the tavern. Not because he was cold or anything (okay, to be honest, it was frickin' freezing out here and he was all for heading back...) but because it would be a good idea to get Solae in a warm bed, so she could rest her head easily. But the walk back was far, and tiring – but they'd make it somehow, wouldn't they?

"Lean on me, if you have to," Reks offered, even though his offer wasn't the most helpful. It was annoying, that she was a few inches taller than him, but he was strong, and hardy, and acting as her support pillar was the very least he could do. It would be a long walk, but he would be there for her, in any way that he could be.

Anonymous

She rose a brow at him and shook her head. "But.. you're human." she said softly. "You have .. to be cold." She pouted a bit.. She wasn't cold, but her body did shiver. Lack of blood would do that.. She tried to take a few steps with her tail flicking wildly, that tail being the only reason she didn't fall over. So, when he made the offer for her to lean on him.. She did.

And she brought an arm around him to hold his waist. Glancing up to his face a moment, then she looked ahead and walked with him. Each step being more painful than the last. And in a good hour they finally got back to the inn and she was actually paler than white. If that was possible. She just needed to rest. Her fur felt cold to the touch and her tail drug on the ground as they made it to her room and he laid her on her bed. She licked her dry lips and looked up at him. "Come... tomorrow.. I'll be OK."

Anonymous

After an agonizing hour, they had finally made it to the inn, but Solae didn't look well, not in the slightest. She was a lot paler than she had been before, her lips dry, and her clothes stained with blood. He wanted to help her – to get her some food, some water, anything to make her more comfortable, but again, he could only stand there and feel helpless. He had to stop this, didn't he? He had to stop feeling so powerless and letting situations slip out of control.

"Solae... are you sure? You're a bloody mess..." He frowned, biting his lip once more. "I can help you change, if you want – so you can have a bath. I'm sure you'd be a lot more comfortable that way, right?" If it were Reks, he wouldn't want to be laying down in the same bloody clothes as he had been before such a ritual had occurred. He looked to her, wondering if she would let him help her – it was his duty, was it not?

He tried put on a brave face, and smiled a little – trying to liven up the gloomy mood. "C'mon, let me help you – I'll be your knight, just for today."

Anonymous

She shifted to look down at her clothes and the crusted blood.. Well, that was attractive. She then looked to Reks and pouted. "I...suppose that'll be a good idea." And she had plenty of clothes left. Even oversized t-shirt like gowns for uber comfort.

She slowly sat up and looked at him.. Would her being naked in front of him be a good idea? She didn't know.. But he really has a point. So she moved carefully, helping him slip off her clothes. Her eyes staring at his face. Seeing him with out ears.. It suited him better this way.

Anonymous

Ah... his suggestion seemed like a good idea at the time. What Reks forgot to register was that helping her take off her clothes meant seeing her naked. Before, she had walked around the room with barely any clothes on, no problem, but this... After he had just kissed her, and ended up crying a sad little baby over what she had done for him... was this a good idea, he wondered? But he was the one who had brought it up, and he wasn't going to take back his words.

He helped her slide off her clothes, trying not to stare, but it was hard, when everything was so up close and personal. Shit, he had never been this close to someone before, especially not a woman, especially not when she was naked. Her top was gone before he knew it, and, with shaky hands – with hands that were nervous as all hell – he removed the bottom half of her clothes as well. He was trying to look everywhere but at her, but he couldn't help but bring his eyes back to her, no matter what he did. Shit, shit, this was not good – why was he being such a perv? Stop it, Reks, he scolded himself, this is not the time. This is not the time.

"...I'll get a bath running for you," he offered abruptly, turning towards the bathroom and running the hot water, adding the scented soaps and oils for her. As quickly as he left, he returned, trying his hardest not to stare. He held out a hand toward her, offering, "Do you need help getting up?" Despite how awkward it would be, for her to lean on him in this condition... bah, but now was not the time to be worrying about these things!

Anonymous

She moved slowly, making it easier to get the clothes off. She had no issues with being naked in front of him. Though she barely knew Reks, the boy meant a lot more than some stranger. He was cursed by her sister, and for no reason, really. Well, that's how she felt. And after feeling the pain he was in, she couldn't help but feel even worse about that curse.

Though, she did notice his strange looks, the long looks, as he helped her strip. And though she was exhausted, she smirked. Amused at how he acted now that he had gone off and kissed her. He seemed so uneasy. And possibly even bothered in the good way over her naked.

She couldn't resist the urge to chuckle when he stormed off to start a bath. Then he came back and she smiled to him. "I believe so." she said softly. Holding onto his hand and arm she got to her feet and used his support to get to the bathroom. And slowly sat in the tub. Looking to Reks again. But she chose to stay quiet.

Anonymous

Reks let out a deep breath as Solae finally got in the tub – he hadn't realized how tense he would be. He looked at her, down in the tub, hoping that she didn't need help actually bathing. She... she didn't need help actually bathing, right? He had gone and offered to be her knight for the day, but there were some things that he just couldn't ask. She was tired, not paralyzed, and he wasn't sure what would happen to him if he actually had to... wash her... Reks shook his head at how ridiculous he was being, pointing his thumb over his shoulder, backing up.

"I'll be in the room if you need me," he told her, quickly, backing out of the bathroom and into the main room, running his hands through his hair. He was being the most pathetic person on the face of the earth today! He flipped off his hood, running his fingers over the spot where his cat ears had been, and, with relief, found that they really were gone.

She had kept her promise, despite his mistrust of her – and she was a mage, nonetheless. And apparently, she was related to Lelena, so that meant... she was related to Kalev as well. So she might've known him, his only friend back then, the fortune-teller! Man, he had so many questions, but, he couldn't ask any of them, not now. He lay on the bed, looking up at ceiling, ready to answer her call for help, if she needed him, lost in thought.

Anonymous

She nodded to him when he said he would be in the next room and she grabbed her sponge and soaked it in the water. She then used that sponge to scrub the blood off her white fur before it stained it-- not like that was likely, but she just didn't want to look dirty. And white fur was very hard to take car of.

Slowly, though, she was gaining some energy back so when she finished getting the blood off her side, she decided to clean her long black hair with the pink tips. Though she doubted she would be able to braid it come time she finished her bath.

A little dizzy from leaning back, she decided to clean up around the bandage carefully so she didn't get the bandage wet. Once she was satisfied with her cleaning job she stood up slowly and slipped out of the tub. Trying to be a bit more independent so she didn't weird out Reks more. Solae managed to dry off a bit, then slipped on her robe and slowly walked over to the bed and sat down. Looking at him. "Thank you." she said softly.

Anonymous

Her bath had been quick – which Reks was glad for, considering he was starting to get a bit worried about her, being in there all by herself. Her robe was back on, which was good, and Reks was noticeably more relaxed now, no longer as tense. When sat down on the bed, Reks realized he had been laying down on it and taking up most of the space, so he hopped off it quickly, considering that she definitely needed to be laying down, not him.

She thanked him, but Reks shook his head, rubbing the back of his head. "You don't have to thank me," he muttered, sighing. "I haven't done anything except... except but you in danger..." He shut his eyes closed for a second, and shook his head, laughing at himself. "But, look at you – you look better already! It's amazing, what a change a nice, warm bath can do." In reality, she still looked pretty worn out, but it was best to stay positive in this situation. He hated seeing her so weak – especially after the horrible way he had mistrusted her before. If he could, he'd do anything to make it up to her.

"You must be starving... I can bring up something from the tavern for you to eat, if you're hungry." Before he even finished his sentence, he was already at the door, ready to head down to the tavern to get her some food. "Is there anything you feel like eating?"

Anonymous

Solae shifted when he jumped to his feet and she moved to lay down and tugged the blankets over her and laid her head on the pillow with her head turned so she could watch him. He seemed to be less freaked out now, but was still nervous. "You don't need to lie. I know I look horrible. I'll be fine tomorrow. Just breathe." she said and chuckled. Looking to her bandaged wrist. Then she lowered her arm and watched him go over to the door.

"Uh.. no food. But, if you're hungry go get something and put it on my tab." she said to him snuggling into the blankets. She somewhat wondered if he'd sleep in her bed or in a chair. She didn't want him to be uncomfortable.. But, then again.. being in the same room as a mage might just be enough to drive him nuts. She felt bad for him, but what Lelena did was something she felt she needed to correct. Even if it was a temporary fix only when she's near.