Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Open your soul, maybe lose control

Started by Anonymous, May 24, 2011, 04:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Cute. Reks did not want to be cute. Still, being cute was better than being awkward, he supposed, but still. One of the main reasons why he loathed his cat ears was because they were so damn cutesy – how was anyone supposed to take him seriously when he was sporting a pair of fluffy cat ears atop his head? He took it as a complement, though – at this point, he knew Solae was, at best, honest, and at worse, a tease. Plus, the kiss she delivered to his neck was enough to erase any grumpiness he might've been feeling toward the matter.

But if he had those cat ears now, they would've perked up in surprise at her confession – that she had never been in a relationship before. He tilted his head, earnestly curious. "Really?" he asked, unable to believe it. "Not even one?" It seemed so surreal. He had just assumed that she would've had a relationship in the past before – after all, she was talented, flirty, confident...

And she wanted him, of all people, to be her boyfriend? (Her first boyfriend? His first girlfriend?) It was impossible, for him to believe that a guy like him could maybe, possibly, be in a relationship with her. What was so good about him that she'd propose this? Just a few seconds ago, he had been ready to tear his heart out in order to prove how serious he was about fixing his mistake, and now... this? His eyes widened, and in his head, he thought furiously, play it cool, play it cool, play it cool, hoping that he hadn't turned red.

But – how was this going to work? A mage hunter and a mage – that just didn't seem logical, no matter which way he sliced it. Just because he happened to have all these feelings for Solae, that didn't mean... that didn't mean he could just push away so many years of prejudice, not in one night. Didn't he have a agreement with his boss – the mysterious woman in La'marri, dressed in elegant robes? Hadn't she given him some purpose in his life? Who was he to betray that? Who was he to be so vain as to think, even for a second, that this could work?

But that was Reks – foolish, and reckless.

"If you don't mind having a guy like me for a boyfriend," Reks started, with a laugh. "then, yeah, I... I'd definitely want that." Trying to sound as casual as possible, his voice was pensive, peppered with a plethora of those emotions again, running through him like a locomotive. He didn't know exactly what he meant by a 'guy like me' – a delinquent, maybe, a wanderer, a kid who didn't even know who he was, but – if he knew one thing, it was that he wanted Solae, with every fiber of his being, for some inexplicable reason that he couldn't explain.

She promised him softly – that she'd make his best kept secret go away. Was he even ready, for such a thing? She seemed to know without him saying anything that it didn't have to be tonight – some other time, then. He nodded, breathing out a sigh of relief. "I don't think I'm ready yet – for that kind of thing," he said softly, shaking his head. "I still feel as if I have to make it up to you – for what I said." For what he did. "When I finally do show you, that I'll always be here – I think then... then, I'll be ready."

Anonymous

She knew this was tough, but it was life. It was how things were. And she was OK with that. She was OK with teaching Reks. She was also OK with him being a mage hunter. But she was determined to show him that mages weren't all bad.

"It's fine. It doesn't havet o be today. I just want you to know that I will help you out. That I will not leave you in such a position that you're in pain." She nuzzled against him. "Just trust me." She said.

But she realized it would all be so hard. So, in order to try and help, she leaned back and turned his head so he was looking at her. "I'm going to quit being a mage." She said softly. "The only magic I'll use will be to help you out with this curse. I'll stop practicing it. It that's what you want." She nodded. "I just want you comfortable with me."

Though, Solae soon stood up and held her hand out to him. "Why don't we get some sleep? You look exhausted.."

Anonymous

He felt utterly safe in Solae's arms – it was like, if he was with her, then nothing could go wrong. It was a strange feeling, considering that she was a mage, but he wasn't about to question it. So when she nuzzled her head against her neck, telling her to trust him, he nodded, and replied softly, "I trust you." He wasn't sure how it happened, but he truly trusted Solae. It was strange, bizarre, and considering the time he had known her, it shouldn't even be possible. But Reks trusted her – more than he trusted anyone else in the world.

As she turned her head to face him, Reks' eyes opened wide, not expecting the words that came out of her mouth. She would... quit being a mage? She would stop doing magic? Was such a thing even possible? To tell a mage to stop doing magic... wasn't that like telling a soldier to stop fighting? His eyes widened, he shook his head, even though some dark part of him told him that things would be easier this way. If she stopped doing magic, ultimately, he'd be more at ease around her, but at what cost?

"Solae... I can't ask you to do that, I can't," Reks muttered, shaking his head. "Your magic – isn't it a part of who you are? I couldn't ask you to stop doing it without feeling like the biggest jackass in the world." Even though magic itself unnerved him, he had to realize – it was magic that had repressed the cat ears, that had erased the tattoos. "You shouldn't have to change, for me – not after everything you've done for me." He bit his lip. "Let me change for you."

He looked down at his hands. "I'll stop hunting mages. I'll find another line of work – something I can be good at." It hurt for him to say – but better he stop rounding up mages and sending them to a world unknown then for her to stop practicing magic. It was kidnapping – that's what he did, plan and simple. He snagged mages and brought them to La'marri, where that strange woman would take them and do hell knew what to them. It was criminal, he knew, but he had always pinned himself to be a delinquent. "I'll find a way to use my talents for... a gentler purpose." Maybe he could find some way to put himself to good use, for the community around him. Or was that thought in itself a stupid, optimistic dream?

But she stood up, and held out her hand to him, suggesting they get some rest. "You're right," Reks agreed, "I am exhausted... let's go to bed."

Anonymous

Solae watched him as he spoke and smiled. "Yes.. I was born to be a mage, but only half of me. And, to be honest, it is such a pain from time to time." She admitted. "Though, if you really feel that way. I can stay... me. I don't want you to change, though. Sure.. killing mages is wrong. Though... I like that dangerous side to you." She admitted.

"Maybe.. you should just kill her." and by her, she meant her sister. Solae never liked her-- never cared much for that part of the family. In fact, for all she cared, she just appeared out of thin air with how she was raised. No one was there for her.

But she silently got Reks to the bed and sat down next to him. Though, as she lay down, she realized something. "Oh.. this may seem weird to ask.. But is 'Reks' really your real name? It seems... to not be right. Like something is missing from it."

Anonymous

Reks looked up at her quickly, when she mentioned him killing mages. "I don't kill them," he corrected, not wanting her to get the wrong idea. "I kidnap them. I know, it's not much better. But apparently, there's a want for mages lately – certain people will pay good money to get their hands on a mage." He realized what he was saying was probably insensitive, and he shook his head – it was probably better not to get into the specifics. Besides, the identity of his employer – it was supposed to be a secret, he knew. "Either way, it's not really an honest way of living."

There had to be something he could use his power for – or maybe he could settle down and find an easier job? Though, she admitted to liking that dangerous side of him, and he laughed, shaking his head. "Me? I'm not so dangerous," he admitted, although, that was a bit of a lie. All of that anger he had built up inside of him – it could be deadly, when unleashed in combat. There, in battle, lay the real reason he was called 'Reks.'

"I don't know if I could," Reks admitted, biting his lip. "I've... never killed anyone before. But I know she needs to be stopped. If she was so ruthless as to rip out her own brother's eyes, then I can only wonder – what the hell is she doing to other people out there now?" He didn't want to think about it.

He followed Solae to bed, and was surprised to find out how tired he was. Today was probably one of the longest days of his life. And it was the first time in a while he'd be going to bed without feeling any pain... He turned his grey eyes towards her when she asked about his name, and for a moment, he had to think – his real name... He hadn't used it since he left the island, and even then, he'd give anyone who called him by his real name a good punch. But, if Solae wanted to know, he'd tell her. "It's Requiem," he admitted, cringing at the sound of it. "Requiem Stratus. But... my full name is worthless to me. I've been Reks since I can remember."

Since the day I was cursed.

Anonymous

"You don't want to kill, Reks.. Stay pure." She said softly. Playing with his hair.

But the weight of the day was like an anvil on her head. She just was so tired. So going to sleep seemed like the best thing to do. But, just laying on the bed didn't mean that sleep would come. It meant she would get to be one step closer to the mysterious Reks.

Hearing his name, she couldn't help but smile. And she moved in closer to him and placed her hand on his cheek. "Requiem.. I love it." she said softly. "There's so much power in your name... Why don't you ever use it?" She asked curiously. Her tail flicking. She really did love his name. But she wouldn't use it if he didn't want her to.

Anonymous

Stay pure, she said. Reks could only wonder if it was possible to do something like that – stay pure – in a world that was so corrupt, so full of sin. But he would try to hold onto this 'purity' as Solae called it, although he wasn't sure how long it could last. He knew, of course, that getting out of the business would probably be the best for a person like him. If he could find another job, he could stop all of the pointless fighting, all of the kidnapping, and find a more peaceful way to survive. He had lived so far on the sole basis that he was good at rounding up mages, but now, he'd need another purpose. It was for the best, though. It was not healthy, to live such a prejudiced life.

But Solae – she loved his name, which honestly surprised him. "Really?" he asked, smiling a little. Then, she asked why she never used it, to which Reks shook his head, biting his lip. "My parents found me on the day of a funeral – their child had just died, and after the burial, a dirge began to play. A requiem." He frowned a little. "They found me floating in a basket down the river, and decided take me in, to name me just that – Requiem." He paused. "I guess I just hate the fact that it reminds me what I am – just someone who showed up randomly on a sad day. It kind of pisses me off."

To this day, he still didn't know – who were his real parents, where had he been born, why had he been floating down that river? They were questions that bringing up his real name always managed to resurface. So he went by Reks, in order to run from the things that really mattered, but he knew – that way of living, that wasn't healthy either. "But... you can call me Requiem, if you want," he offered, truly meaning it. He wanted, desperately, to change the way he had been living. Running, hiding, kidnapping, surviving. He was tired of surviving. He wanted to live. "I mean, if you don't think it sounds silly or anything..." He was self-conscious about his real name – to use it was to acknowledge that he really human, underneath his tough façade.

Anonymous

She rolled onto her stomach and let her tail snake around in the air, flicking back and forth which was a sure sign that he was interested in the conversation. "You were found on the day of a funeral? Well.. I don't think there's a reason to dislike your name for that reason." She scooted closer to him.

"I think of it this way... Their son died, and they found you. You weren't a replacement, but a gift from their passed child. He didn't want them lonely so he led them to you. And your name was given to you to speak of that song that led them to you. Their child watching out for not only them-- but you." She smiled. "I like Requiem. It suits you. Only the most beautiful and moving of songs are played at a funeral."

"So, now that that is settled, Requiem... I think I'll save using your name for in private." She snuggled close to him and started to purr.

Anonymous

Reks knew he had never fit in with the other Yoreiq islanders – it was something obvious, something you could tell just by looking at the color of his skin. It was a dingy, dusty pale, compared to the rich browns and earthy tones the other islanders had. And yet, despite everything, they had never made him feel different – it was just something that resonated inside of Reks, something that he could never shake off. So when Lelena had betrayed her brother – another outcast, another somebody who definitely didn't fit in – he was glad to have an excuse to leave. He thought, maybe, he'd be able to carve out a new home for him, somewhere. So far, he had been unlucky in that endeavor – until he met Solae, that is.

Solae's explanation of things – that the child had been looking out for him, and his parents as well – made Reks' heart feel a little lighter. "I guess that makes me lucky," he noted with a small laugh, wondering what kind of person his old folks' child had been – or what he would've become, if time had allowed it. To hear her speak highly of his name put a smile on his face; he had always hated his name, and had hid underneath a nickname given to him by a witch to hide it, but if Solae liked it... then maybe it wasn't so bad.

He liked that idea – keeping his real name for private use. "Oh? So it'll be our little secret then," he teased, wrapping an arm around her waist, bringing her a little closer. Besides his old folks, his real name was quite a well-kept secret. He was surprised he even managed to tell her, but he trusted Solae more than anyone else. "For when we're together, like this." This quiet, unassuming intimacy – there was something about it that he really liked. Being close to Solae... was like coming home for the first time.

Anonymous

She curled up into his embrace and chuckled. It was nice to be held by him--and the fact that he was actually embracing her made her feel so much better. She had broken through his shell. Gotten him to open up and she was accepted by him-- even if they were enemies.

But, the added warmth was adding to her sleepiness. She nuzzled her face into the crook of his neck and kissed the soft skin. "Well, Requiem, it's been a long day. I think it's time to go to bed. Don't you think..?" A hand ran up his chest and rested on his shoulder. Holding him close so he would at least have to sleep with her.

Though, by morning it wouldn't be a shock to find her curled up with her back to him, giving him the chance to spoon with her, but also allowing him to get up as he needed. Her tail was wrapped around her leg and the tip was twitching as she slept peacefully. Covered in half the blankets.

Anonymous

It had been a long day, and Reks was dead tired. "You're right," he agreed, stifling a yawn. "We deserve a good rest, after everything that happened..." It would be strange, sleeping without having to deal with the constant pain ringing through his body – but it was a welcomed change. And so, for the first night since he left Yoreiq, Reks slept soundly, without a worry in his mind. It was probably the most restful sleep he'd ever had in his life.

When dawn broke, the last thing Reks wanted to do was get out of bed. He was damn cozy where he was, and while he was all about seizing the day, he could do that after five more minutes of sleep, couldn't he? He groggily opened his eyes, noting that Solae's back was turned to him – she must've shifted during the night. Gently, he hugged her from behind, relishing the feel of her fur on his fingertips. He hoped he hadn't disturbed her – that was the last thing he wanted to do. All he wanted to do was hold her in his arms, even if it was for just a little while.

Anonymous

She shifted when he rolled up behind her and wrapped his arms around her. Though her eyes never opened, she reached up and placed her hands over his and snuggled back against him for a moment. But soon found herself just wanting to look at him so she carefully rolled in his arms and opened her eyes. Bringing herself face to face with him.

"Hi." she said softly, bringing her arms around him lazily and snuggling up against his neck.

Anonymous

A few moments after he had latched onto her back, Solae had rolled carefully in his arms, facing him now, wide awake. He grinned, glad to see her face – it was easily the best view he could ever wake up to. When he looked at her, he couldn't help but remember everything they had gone through, and that rush of gratitude surged through him again, grateful for her, and her presence, and the fact that she had forgiven him, after everything was said and done.

"Hey," was his casual, drowsy reply. Reks pulled her a little closer to him, his fingers curled around her waist. "I didn't wake you up, did I?" he asked, his dim grey eyes curious, grinning a little as she snuggled closer to him. Solae was just so soft – everything about her was warm and welcoming,  and she was making it damn difficult for him to want to get out of bed. Couldn't he just lay here forever with her in his arms?

Anonymous

She smiled to him and nodded. "You did.. but that's OK. I like to wake up early anyway." She said softly. Looking down to where his hand was, then up to his face. "Strange... isn't it? Seeing a human with fur... and even a tail." As she spoke her tail snaked up his leg and curled around his ankle. Though she just nuzzled a bit more, kissing his neck. "Though, I prefer the feel of your skin. Smooth... soft. Cream colored. I'm finding myself jealous.."

But she fell quiet, pulling herself closer to him and sighing. "How did you sleep?"