Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Too *^%$ing cold! (Rina, may or may not turn adult-ish)

Started by Anonymous, October 02, 2011, 06:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"Did I say anything to suggest I had a problem?"

Sasha sighed. This was going to be a wildly unpleasant conversation. And all the Connlaothians to have it with, he had to choose a Mordecai.

"If you really want to know...yeah, it might be. Maybe. I know you don't like or trust magic, and fair enough - it's dangerous in untrained hands, same as any other tool. I wouldn't give a kiddie a fishing spear either, or one of the flintlocks we buy from you! I'm just going to say that...up here, sometimes it's different. Sometimes a mage keeps bears and wolves away. Sometimes they put a charm on fishing boats, so everyone comes back. Sometimes they find a kid who's gotten muddled in bad weather, who's scared and alone and freezing to death less than a mile from home."

He reached into the collar of his shirt, pulling out the yellowed bone manaia charm he wore. It was the same as the one he'd sold to her earlier - bird's head, man's body, fish tail. He turned it over in his hand, again and again.

"I told you I don't sell magical ones of these. I told the truth. I don't sell them. Yours is just a trinket...but this one, this one I'm wearing is not. I was one of the lost kids in the snow. I was found, by a mage who'd run north from Connlaoth, because I wore this."

Anonymous

Michael hissed, drawing back and made the holy sign of Ansgar, "Filth! Stupid fool! I know magic can help people, you think I am stupid? But I have seen the destruction it causes. Not just the violence mages use if for. It's twisted! Unnatural!"

Pulling back on the reins, Michael pulled the cart to a halt, "You might have been found in the snow, but that magic left its taint on the world. Others will die because the magic released into the world."

Anonymous

"Believe what you want, love. If it helps you sleep at night, I won't take that from you."

No wonder she'd risen so far up the ranks. She was too damn stubborn to do anything else!

"I don't know which of us will be right in the end. Maybe neither of us...but I can promise that if you go in all gung-ho like you are now, they'll choose their mage - known and trusted - over the threat of a hell they don't believe in. Even the Connlaoth exiles who do believe what you do...they came north because they're mages, already been told from birth they're damned to go there. Why in the name of all that is holy would they do anything to help you?"

He shrugged.

"If you honestly believe there's a threat to your home, then fair enough. I'll take you, and you can search, and good luck to you. I'd protect my home just the same. I'm just letting you know you'll get nowhere if you're not pretty fucking careful about it. Speak softly, before you bring out the big stick."

Anonymous

Michael closed her eyes, taking a deep breath and letting it out in a low hiss. She was very much regretting ever having taken Sasha into her bed. He was a poison, like so many others, tainted by magic and only saw the good things. Ignored the damage and danger that magic use caused.

"I am not stupid. I know I can't go in there and drag mages screaming from their beds and for all what you seem to think, I don't want to. But I need to find those that are bringing harm to my people and if you wont help me with that, I will find another guide."

Anonymous

"In a way, I agree with you - if someone's using magic to hurt your people, your home...that's got to stop. If someone were running around with a sword, cutting up your people, I'd say the same."

Her comments stung more than he'd want to admit. He wasn't completely unaware of magic having some darker uses. The thought that he'd be okay with that...no. Never.

"I'll help you. I've meant all along to help you, as far as my conscience will let me."

Anonymous

Michael just gave a curt nod, rubbing her arm and feeling a little gross. She didn't like dealing with people like this, the ones who were blinded to the deadly force magic could be. "A man with a sword I could handle without help."

She gave Sasha a short nod. She would take that, but if he got in her way or helped the mages, she would cut him down first. Michael just hoped it wouldn't come to that.

Anonymous

"I know the difference between right and wrong, love. No fear there. For now, can we leave it and try and come up with a story for you?"

An idea was forming. As a Mordecai, openly, she wouldn't get anywhere. As a mage, on the other hand...

Would she even accept the idea? Pretending to be what she most hated, wearing their clothes (with that ugly patch they had to have marking them out), using the same gestures and phrases that a real mage would use for some tiny, unobtrusive spell? Effectively doing magic, without the magic?

She'd probably hate it. And him. And they'd only just stopped fighting.

Shit.

Anonymous

"Well, I don't know. Merchant?" She glanced behind her at Sasha's wagon, "An apprentice or something?" She hadn't had much time to plan this adventure, hated being so unprepared, "Well, I'm a little old to pull that one off. What else comes up here?"

Anonymous

"At this time of year, with things getting colder instead of warmer? And you might have noticed your lot don't like crossing the northern mountains much..."

Oh, she might not take this well. He might have hesitated before speaking again. Maybe. A little bit.

"Exiles."

Anonymous

"No." Michael shook her head, "Not unless we can't think of something else." She would if she had too, but only as a last resort. "How about you marry me instead."

Anonymous

His mind had been beetling along happily before now, keeping pace with the rhythm his feet set without him needing to consciously think about it, or even really be aware of it...but when she said that, the whole thing ground to a halt as effectively as smashing into a wall. He wouldn't have been surprised to see the train of thought come shooting out of his head with leftover momentum and rattle around in the nearly empty mug he was drinking from.

As it was, he nearly choked.

Hot! Ack, hot tea up his nose! Burnies burnies ow fuck ow...

"Ack!" Coughing and spluttering, he wiped his eyes and tried not to fall over, catching his balance with a strange, completely graceless shuffling hop-skip. "Marry you?! It might work, but...I never thought I'd hear you suggest it!"

He paused.

"Do you mean...your kind of marriage, or my kind of marriage?"

Anonymous

Michael lifted one pale eyebrow at Sasha's antics, amused and not unpleased he was suffering, "I'm unsure what the difference is."

Anonymous

"If you mean my kind of marriage, the good news is you have has many pretty young things as you like. The bit that you might not like is where every woman I know will be chasing after you...or you might be into that kind of thing?"

Sasha grinned. He still had a healthy slug of tea up each nostril, but that was a very, very interesting image...

Anonymous

Michael stiffened, unsure if Sasha knew. But there was no way he could, she was careful. And if someone of his level heard rumors, she would have already been moved against by those that wanted her job.

She instead lifted an eyebrow at him, still nursing her tea, "Woman chasing me? Why?"

Anonymous

"That's a trick question, right? Come on. You're sex on legs."

Okay, so maybe not in the classical sense - too harsh to fit into the soft expanses of Connlaothian beauty, and the scar over one eye didn't exactly soften her - but still. She had to know she was at least intriguing. They'd been sniping at each other pretty well continuously since dawn, and he was still fascinated. It'd be worth it just to know where she might lead him next.

What was there to say? The boldness was a drawcard. The sharp tongue wasn't, for sure, but it went with a sharp mind and that definitely was.

"I went for you, didn't I?"

Anonymous

"And you're a male. Which again, leads me to ask, why would woman be going after me?" Michael didn't get where she was by showing her hand too soon. And she wasn't fishing for compliments, she was aware of her own charms and didn't need outside validation.

Anonymous

"Same reason, you daftie. Sex."

So she was slow on the uptake for once. The little parade of naked women in his head was still AWESOME.

Anonymous

"Woman can't have sex with each other. They don't have the right parts." Michael snorted, finishing off her tea.

Anonymous

Sasha burst out laughing.

"They have hands. They have mouths. You of all people should know that's plenty of parts, thanks. The first thing you said to me was about my hands!"

Okay, time to be serious. It'd be sad to let the Naked Parade go, but sitting there with a big dopey smile on his face probably wasn't wise. She'd notice, and then she'd notice more and then she might feed his balls to the dogs.

"What two women do or two men do is different to what a man and a woman would do. It looks different, it sounds different, it often feels different...but because it is different, for us there's no taboo even if someone is already married. You can say no, but you might well be asked."

Anonymous

Michael blinked at Sasha, not quite believing her ears. While she was more than aware of what it was like between two woman, to have is spoken of so casually was startling to say the least. And the fact it would be a little expected of her was...thrilling.

"Ah. Well, I'm sure I can handle that just fine. It seems you are more of a heathen than I realized."