Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Turns to Gold in the Sunlight

Started by Anonymous, December 05, 2011, 07:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Morning light broke through the high, thick canopy of leaves in the Draconi Forest. Streaks of light striking the bed of leaves blanketing the ground. Despite it being Summer, the air was still relatively cool and crisp in the woods, making the hunting that was currently going on pleasantly bearable.

A tall elven male stepped quietly over a log, his light steps hardly making any sound on the crisp leaves below him. His face hidden beneath an earthen green hood and a crudely carved mask. His head quickly snapped to his right as he heard heavy footfalls further in the forest. He froze, his eyes scouring the dense woods. In his hands was an elegantly crafted re-curve bow, carved from a yew tree. The elf lifted it, straightening his position as he notched his ironbark arrow, fingers sliding up the shaft to the vivid crimson feathers. The elf lined up his shot and quickly released with a twang.

The arrow flew through the air quickly, it hit it's mark and was followed by a soft thud as the huntsman's prey fell to the ground. Sal'Rokka looked over his shoulder, addressing his companion, "I'm worried about making a marksman out of you, you'll have no use for me anymore." A muffled laugh followed his remark as he beckoned his companion to follow him, their catch just over the small creek ahead.

Anonymous

When Sal'Rokka had first put a bow in her hands, Selwyn had merely stared up at her Bond blankly. Her hands had clutched the weapon, and it felt foreign in her hands — it was unnecessary for her, unnatural for her. It was almost strange, to think that she had lived for over eight centuries and had never held a bow in her hand but Sal'Rokka — ever the silvertongue — had managed to convince her learning how to use one would be a skill worth learning.

So she held her bow just as cautiously as she did when Sal'Rokka had first handed it to her: with both hands, as if it would slip away from her. Whereas Sal'Rokka — he could handle it with grace, but wield it as fiercely as a knight with his sword. Quietly, secretly, she enjoyed watching his form — how his fingers commanded the flighty arrow delicately, but with a poised strength. When it came to archery, her skill was easily dwarfed by him, but she didn't mind it. It made them able to take peaceful trips through the forest, like today.

As his prey fell lifelessly to the forest floor, the Hierophant looked up towards her Bond, smiling. "I am sure there will never be a time when I'll have no use for you, Sal'Rokka," Selwyn assured, as if there was ever any doubt about such a thing.

"Besides, the bow adores you. It merely tolerates me." She laughed good-naturedly, following the elf towards the catch. Near the creek, a couple families of boars lounged, drinking water, doting on their children. She furrowed her eyes at her bow, trying to recall the proper way to hold it. She had seen her Bond do it countless times, but right when she needed to remember, memory failed her. Weapons just were not her forte.

Anonymous

Selwyn couldn't see it, but her comment made the elf smile from pointy ear to pointy ear. There was nothing that pleased the man more than knowing that he was still of use, through combat or companionship. Sal'Rokka turned his attention to his tiny bond, laughing as she spoke. "Ah, see that's where you're wrong. The bow is merely intimidated by you, it's not used to be handled by such pretty ladies."

His eyes were immediately drawn to the family of boars across the water, fortunately it wasn't deer. Selwyn would never hurt deer, and because of it, Sal'Rokka found himself hunting the creatures less and less. Years would go by without him aiming at a single one. He waited to hear a drawback on Selwyn's bow, but the sound never came, this caused the Arch Druid to turn, noticing the confused look upon his bond's face. "Mi'Leanay, my friend, let me show you."

"Notch your arrow first with your dominant hand--" He pulled an arrow from his quiver, placing the feathered end against the bow-string, keeping his eyes on Selwyn to see how she was doing.

Anonymous

The Hierophant couldn't help but grin at his comment, looking down at the bow in her hands. "I wish the bow wouldn't feel as such. I only wish to be friends with it," she laughed, shaking her head. If it had been anyone else, Selwyn wouldn't hesitated in showing her incompetence at anything, especially wielding a weapon such as a bow. However, with Sal'Rokka at her side, she could relax and learn without feeling pressured or worried about her lack of skill. Sal'Rokka would not judge her, so she had no need for to wear the cold mask of a leader around him.

Nutmeg brown eyes looked up at her Bond, carefully studying the way in which he notched the arrow. She took an arrow from her own quiver, holding it between her delicate fingers, and held it against the bowstring in the same fashion he did. "Ah, like so?" she asked, and a small smile etched itself onto her features.

The position was a little stiff, but being in the right form gave her a little more confidence. She turned her attention toward the stream, the sound of slowly rushing water playing as the soundtrack to their hunt. The boars were relatively still, and it should be easy for her arrow to fly true, and strike one of them soundly.  Selwyn took aim, steadying her hand, but even though her bow had finally stayed straight, she could did not fire.

She furrowed her brow, looking casting a glance up at her Bond. "Where..." she began, her voice very quiet. "Where should I aim? So that it would be less painful for him."

Anonymous

"The bow is like any man, losing it's confidence by merely being in your presence." His tone was still light and playful, having perfected the act of hiding the tones and inflections of his own lovestruck heart. "Allow it to prove itself by showing you how far it can fly with grace. Then the bow shall open up to you, this I can assure you!"

Sal'Rokka held tight to his bowstring, waiting for Selwyn to take her first shot. He noted the muscles moving as she readied herself to let the arrow fly, however, he saw her stiffen again, and her question made the Arch-Druid hesitate for a moment. He pulled the arrow from the bow, returning it to his quiver as he set his bow down. He made his way to Selwyn, towering over her. Sal'Rokka pressed the palm of his hand against the small of her back to adjust her stance, he then moved his hands to her shoulder and her straightened arm, carefully guiding her body to point up at a shadowed tree, were small red apples were just barely visible.

He was pretty sure that she was aimed correctly at the tree, "Now, gently, ese da'rook fey'ln. Let the arrow fly."

Anonymous

Selwyn couldn't help but smile a little at Sal'Rokka's words. "Then I shall trust the bow to fly — and hope that in return, the bow will grow to trust me as well." Sal'Rokka's hidden meanings behind his metaphors were lost to the Hierophant — as a whole, she was too practical, too straightforward, to see through his Bond's lovestruck heart.

She relaxed as the Arch Druid adjusted her posture, gently aiming her bow towards a tree, turning it away from the boars that played near the stream. The sight of the trees, and the few dots of red that hung amongst its branched, eased Selwyn's heart a tad, and she took a deep breath to calm herself. To know that her first shot of a bow would be of an apple and not a boar was a little more comforting to Hierophant.

When Sal'Rokka gave the word, Selwyn let the arrow soar into the air. A part of her wanted to close her eyes, but she watched the arrow straight on, following its path with steady, nutmeg brown eyes. After a beat, the arrow struck an apple, piercing through the red fruit and sending it to tumbling to the ground. As it fell with a thud, rustling the green leaves of the tree, a tiny smile etched itself onto Selwyn's features.

"Never have I been able to win something's trust so quickly," Selwyn laughed, turning to Sal'Rokka. "Perhaps it hasn't given up on me just yet."