Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Smarter Than Your Average Bear

Started by Juno, December 14, 2011, 12:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

Traveling with their little "family" for so long had definitely been far from uneventful. There were many things, both good and bad, that came with having two fairly exotic animals with them all of the time. She'd never been able to overlook the things people would say about their bears, but she felt like they knew they were special all the same. Clarity and Constance were developing into such beautiful creatures as they aged toward adulthood. While their adorable looks had been changing over time, they were still the same bears to them.

As Dacia sat, resting her back against a thick tree trunk, she thought back on their time together as she watched the bears foraging around for berries in the nearby bushes. Over time the cute growls of cubs had been changing into the snorts, huffs and roars of adults. Smaller, less guttural and intimidating, but aged nonetheless. It'd been a sad thing to watch, for her. To see them grow was a thrill. To know they were doing things right by them, that their bears were able to be healthy beings even in the company of humans, was thrilling. She did wish she could've kept their baby growls, their little snarls, their yaps and calls. But time had gone on and those were things of the past now.

She looked to the bracelet around her wrist, smiling warmly at the little charms attached to it. Lifting the thing to her face, Dacia tapped each with a finger, examining it. It was a reminder of the past, she'd received it from Dorian just after they'd decided to keep their girls. Still, it'd endured its worth to her to this very day. Not a day had gone by that she hadn't worn it proudly.

Now, though, things were calmer as a group. They'd settled into a nice rhythm, the four of them. They all knew each others personalities and as the bears had grown they'd learned to distinguish between the two by the markings on their chests. Clarity's looked somewhat like a small, crude, diagonal brushstroke while Constance's was much more faint and consisted of a few intersecting lines. Aside from that, each had a fairly distinctive personality.

Thinking about all of this, Dacia realized she'd remained quiet for quite a while and dropped her wrist back down as she looked about the area, seeing that the bears had wandered off out of sight, though she could still clearly hear them. Leaning her head back against the tree, she smiled, figuring she could go back to daydreaming for a while, not expecting the girls to be done eating anytime soon.

Haze

Thankfully, neither one of them had sustained anymore life threatening injuries in the past months. They had, of course, had their disagreements - he annoyed her with his self-assured charm that could surprise her at a moments notice, and she annoyed him with her stubborness and tenacity. Still, it was always the way, that the thing that annoyed them the most about the other, was the thing that they loved about each other so dearly.

Dorian had come to think less of Dacia as a girl to be rescued, wooed and pursued, though he still had his moments, and would for as long as he lived, he knew; she was more and more an equal  partner that he could rely on for companionship, mutual respect, and love. Of course he would still through himself in front of danger for her, and had continued to do that along their jouneys, much to her somewhat bemused irritation.

Dorian had been caught up in revelations as he hunted, finding dinner for later that night. It was with a ladened down horse they'd begun their journey, a gift from his mother, and they'd eaten well for a good two months. Now their supplies were dwindling, and it was back to sustinence living. Not that Dorian minded, deep down inside there was a part of him that thrived on hunting and providing for his family.

Now that he was returning to the familiar sound of foraging bears, he smiled. Even more so as he caught sight of Dacia, daydreaming away. He stopped on the other side of the small clearing, watching her, feeling his heart surge, as it did still every time he got a glimpse of her. He held the two rabbits he'd caught loosly by the hind legs, and leaned one shoulder against a tree. He was reluctant to speak, but knew that if he creeped up to her, he was likely to get a thump. "Hey," he called, a smile playing on his lips, "what's got you so distant today?"

Juno

In truth she'd been wondering about their future. How long would they continue on, just wandering about the world? It was nice, sure, but it was a bit tiring as well. To have to live off of only so much at a time, to have nowhere to really go back to, to call home. At least they didn't yet. She wondered, too, what they were going to do as the bears aged further. Would they be able to handle them still? How would they train them? Would they even need any training? She had no idea, but it certainly was something to think about.

With Dorian, too, she wondered. The past months had been nice with him. Never boring, but definitely interesting. It was nice to see he was still so full of life and enthusiastic about traveling together. In fact, she hadn't really thought about it as him following her around in a very long time. Now it was something that was just done together, had been for a long while, and she wouldn't change it for the world.

Dacia couldn't help but wonder what their own future held. Would they ever be anything more? She'd enjoyed all of their time together, both the good and the bad, but she wondered if Dorian still thought about her the way he had before. If he still thought about a future, with children. Their children. Or had he begun to think of her as a cherished companion and nothing more?

These were the things she'd gotten caught up thinking about when Dorian approached. He didn't startle her, really, but she was snapped back to reality when he spoke. Stretching a bit, she looked at his catch for the day and smiled across at him. "Hey, nice looking dinner." She pushed off the tree to stand, gesturing to the rabbits. "Nothing much, just thinking about a few things," she said, not wanting to lie but not wanting to volley off into her musings aloud at the moment. "Why? Have I been distant today?"

Haze

"Just a little, " he replied, with pursed lips. He didn't know why, but she seemed sort of ... melancholy. Have I done something wrong, again? he wondered as he eyed her for a moment before moving to their bags and retrieving a wooden block from them. Setting the rabbits down on top, he turned Dacia.

"Come here," he said softly, but not waiting for Dacia to move to him, he crossed over to her. He looked down at her with a thoughtful frown. He cast his mind back, but he couldn't think of anything he might have done to upset her. Then again, she was Dacia ... and it didn't take much. Almost hesitantly, he wrapped his arms around her, holding her lightly. He placed a kiss on top of her head, and sighed a moment before pulling back to look into her face.

"Have I done something wrong? I have, haven't I? You go all quiet and moody when I've done something wrong. What is it? What did I do?"

Juno

Dacia watched him as he moved about. He looked like he was thinking about something, too, but she couldn't tell what, just stood there eyeing him the same way he did her. She hadn't realized it, but she had been fairly quiet most of the day, which, consequentially, led to Dorian worrying about her, as she hadn't quite figured out yet.

She moved to step closer when he asked but he was already going, so she stopped. Why say that if you're going to come over here? she wondered, her mouth twitching to the slightest frown. But then he'd put his arms around her and kissed her, which was a bit surprising for the tense moment they seemed to be having. She reached her own arms up to hug him to her, but loosened her grip a bit when he moved to talk to her.

Something wrong? Quiet and moody? Have I really been like that? Dacia frowned just a bit, turning her head so she could rest it against his shoulder. "No, you haven't done anything wrong, honestly. I just-" She raised her head then, offering a small smile up at him. "I guess a lot has been on my mind today," she admitted.

Haze

Dorian stared down at her against the fading light. Dorian was pleased he'd not done anything wrong. But whatever it was she was thinking about, she wasn't about to tell him. It bothered him a little, "you know you can tell me anything, right?" His tone was hesitant, shy even, wanting to make sure she trusted him.

Dorian considered a question that had been churning in his mind for the last little while. He'd been thinking about it for quite some time, truthfully - since they'd left his mothers, to be honest. Their time there had been so warm and comfortable that even though he'd been itching to get out and onto the road again, he had to admit he'd found it hard to say goodbye.

He tried to imagine Dacia in his mother's place, cooking and looking after children. It was almost there, almost, but it did make him smile. Maybe it was time to tell her how he really truly felt about her. He'd put it off, the question that was burning on his mind. He still didn't know how she'd take it.

"Have I told you lately that I love you? I do. You're my best friend." He smiled down at her, that adoring look back in his eyes. "You know, I was thinking... we've been going on the road for a long time now... what do you think about, and you don't have to answer now - but what do you think about maybe... settling down somewhere? Finding a place maybe backing onto the woods, where Clarity and Constance can be as free as they choose. We could set up house, and maybe... be a real family?"

Juno

She'd known she was chancing things before, that it might actually really bother him that she wasn't sharing everything that was on her mind. But she was worried about what he might think, too. Would he feel the same way? What were they? Friends? More than that? Dacia did love him dearly, but it went further than that. Friends knew things about each other, which they certainly did, but lovers... It was more, had to have that special something. Dacia wasn't quite sure what that was, what to even call it. She'd seen it in others, in couples they saw on their travels, but she didn't know if they were that special, too. The thought made her frown, her inexperience in this area not helping her predicament.

It didn't really occur to her to perhaps talk to Dorian about it. Truthfully, she didn't want to get made fun of or anything, but she knew he sensed something was amiss with her.

He was telling her she could tell him anything, which she knew. She did tell him most things, but today she was feeling especially thoughtful and worried how he might receive her musings. "I know," she offered a smile as she put a hand on his arm. She could tell he was a bit on edge.

When he spoke again, however, she was a bit surprised. It made her smile for his unexpected intimacy. "Hm," she hummed, happy for he'd said to her as she leaned her head against him, sensing that look he was giving her. It always caused her to be so flustered.

But then he was getting more serious, which she turned her head up to actually look at him for, as he seemed to be struggling a bit with the wording. What he said caused a surge of warmth in her chest, just the thought that he had put some thought into a possible future for them. She figured it would be something modest, if anything, but it certainly was a wonderful thing to think about, and she smiled for it as she leaned close to kiss his cheek.

"Honestly... I like that idea. It'd probably be a while and I have no idea how we'd manage to scrape together enough money for a house...but it would be nice. Maybe one day... Yes, I think it'd be nice... Us and the girls. You like it? I mean...we don't really have much right now, but, well...yes, I suppose I'd like that. Someday." Dacia herself was feeling nervous at the thought, as much as she liked it.

It would be different to have somewhere to call home. Where they might live together. She considered what they were doing now to be living together, but it would be so different to share a space together, to have him there, to have their bears with them and let them roam as they wished. Yes, it was a nice thought indeed. "It'll probably be, uh, at least a few more years off, though, right?" she asked nervously. "I mean, if we were really going to do that."

She wondered if she should tell him what she was thinking of earlier, then. She wondered how he would receive such thoughts from her. Would he think she was getting too serious? Would he think she was becoming too clingy? He had been quite the playboy before, and she couldn't really forget that about him. Still, it did mean a lot that he'd quit all of that to travel with her, with Clarity and Constance as well. He'd probably think I've gone crazy. Me. Me of all people thinking about things like that...

Haze

Dorain felt a bubbling begin to rise in his stomach. She hadn't given him a definitive answer, but what she had given him was enough. Enough to get his mind spinning again. She was right, how could they afford a house? They had the money from the sale of the horse, but that was no where near enough. It would get them through another few months of inn's and supplies, but it wouldn't cover their living expenses forever. Forever. It was such a big word. But it wasn't so bad, the prospect of forever, with Dacia. Growing old together, watching their children grow up, have their own children.

Dorian was buzzing with excitement and ideas rushed through him. He tried to keep his voice calm, but there was no hiding the pleasure all over his features. "I could re-enlist in the Army. I'd make enough to support us both. You could stay home, or work if you wanted to, I wouldn't mind. Even if we couldn't have a house house straight away, maybe we could find somewhere to stay long term. We could head back to Ketra, soon, if you want too..."

He hadn't seemed to register her hesitancy, but as she looked at him, it slowly dawned on him what she'd said. "What do you mean, 'if we're really going to do that'? Do you ... do you have doubts?" His brow furrowed in a deep frown, "about us, I mean. Have ... has things changed... do you still love me?"

Juno

As he began volleying off ideas, Dacia had started to look a bit tense. Wait...the Army again? Me? Stay home? What home? Where is home? Oh my goodness, "long term?" Ketra? Her mind was spinning with all of these things until he slowed down, finally seeming to realize she was worried about something.

But then he was asking her more questions, and it took her a moment to realize just what he was asking. "Ah..." she began nervously, looking down instead of at him.

"I just wasn't sure if you'd want to. I-I... Well, I'm just not sure how all of this would even work out... If you would even feel the same way in a couple of years," she explained.

In truth, Dacia had become a bit worried about their relationship. Him even mentioning re-enlisting brought forth quite a bit of pain. The idea of him having the chance to go around without her, that he'd want her to stay "home," wherever that was. She figured if that happened then he would find someone else eventually. Someone who could make him feel something special in a way she couldn't dream of doing. And it bothered her. Even the thought of this was making her jealous already.

"I love you. I have, I still do, and I will. But...well, you are Dorian. I'm just me. I don't need any sort of commitment from you right now or anything, but... Well, honestly, I get worried if you'll even like me later. It has been a while...b-but I don't want anything from you now, I just..." Dacia sighed. She knew how she probably sounded. Desperate and not wanting to lose him, but it was a serious concern she had now that they'd been together for this long. "I really love what we have. As a family. I just don't want that to change."

Haze

Dorian wasn't sure what was going on. It sounded like she wasn't sure about them anymore. Maybe Dorian was just being silly. He couldn't see why Dacia was so hesitant. And then came her blathering on about how he might feel in a few years. And how he was Dorian, and she was just Dacia? Like what - like she was worth nothing?

"How can you be worried if I'll even like you later," he exploded, jerking away from her. "Are you worried that I'm going to get bored with you, or something? Gods, Dacia. Do you know I have never spent this amount of time on the road with any one person. And it's not just because of the bears either." He raked his hands through his hair, and stalked over to the rabbits, sitting down and skinning them roughly with his knife in silence.

"We've made it through more things together in just a few months than many couples would go through in a lifetime." He scowled at the rabbits, thumping them down as he finished. "Dacia... I told you I'd love you forever. I mean it.

"Whatever. You don't have to believe me."

Juno

She hadn't expected his reaction at all. She looked so surprised as he jerked away from her, a pained look in her eyes as she let her hands drop to her sides, refusing to look at him at first. Eventually, though, she glanced over to see what he was doing and winced at the roughness with which he was skinning their dinner.

What he said was true, indeed. It kind of made her feel bad for even thinking of the possibility of him not remaining loyal to them. To her. As he finished with the rabbits, though, she scowled at him. "I never said I didn't believe you!" she snapped at him, crossing her arms and turning her back to him. It gave her a literal pain in her chest to think that he might doubt her trust in him for even a moment.

"...I know we've been through a lot," she finally said, going to sit by the bushes the bears had disappeared behind a while ago. "Y'know, I'm sorry! Okay? I'm sorry! I was just thinking too much, alright?! Alright!" She huffed as she bent herself to drop her head against her hands. She hadn't wanted to fight about this, but they always had argued over the stupid stuff. "Sorry I even brought it up..." Sheesh...where're the girls when I need a hug?

Haze

"You always think too much," Dorian retorted, looking over his shoulder at her. She looked unhappy, and it was like a tonne of bricks settled in his stomach. He hated upsetting her. But he didn't understand why she wasn't as excited at the prospect of being together - properly together, in a house, being regular people - as he was. He may have been a womanizer back in his day; he was still cocky and arrogant and loved adventure; but his one hearts desire was to find the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with... and live. And he thought, no, he knew, that it was her.

"To love would be an awfully big adventure," He murmured, finally wiping his hands on the grass and standing. He slowly walked over to her, crouching in front of her. "Hell, even just to live, to be with you, is a big adventure. And I love every minute of it."

He wanted to touch her, to kiss her, to apologise for being such a hot head and for not understanding, but he stayed still, looking at her so that she might feel his eyes on her, and look up, and see that he meant every word.

"I'm sorry, Dacia. Forgive me for being such an ass?"

Juno

Dacia tensed as she heard him moving about, not daring to look as he came closer. She held her ground, even as he proclaimed his love of being with her like they were. But the longer he stayed their, crouched like that, the more she felt uncomfortable that he was staring. Eventually, she gave in.

Lifting her head just enough to look at his face, a pout still visible on her own, she nodded and quickly shifted her gaze off to the side. He seemed so sincere with his words, which she definitely appreciated, but she didn't think he'd been so bad about it. "It's alright, Dorian, you weren't being an ass," she said with a sigh, finally beginning to relax as she leaned back on her hands. "I got a bit carried away." She didn't actually think that, but she was uncomfortable talking about it now and just wanted to talk about something, anything, else.

Dacia looked up at him again, twitching the slightest of smiles in an attempt at getting them off the subject. "So, you think we can head into town tomorrow? Think we're close enough?"

Haze

Dorian's mind was still not at ease but he backed away as Dacia changed the subject. Fine, let her have her space. She'll tell you when she's ready. You really shouldn't push, Dorian.

At her question he nodded. "We're not far at all. If we leave early we can probably make it by lunchtime." With the reminder of food his stomach growled. He grinned sheepishly, desperately trying to lighten the mood. "Guess that means it's dinner time." He got himself up and began making preparations for a fire.

While he was working he only glanced once or twice at Dacia, wondering to himself if he really was the problem. Women, he thought, the only people who could ever understand them are themselves.

How many other young women would have snatched up the chance to make a home and family with him? He could name six, easily. But that's not what its about. It's about having her And her wanting me. Wondering whether that was the case or not he didn't notice as the bear twins came back into view, watching both Dorian and Dacia from a distance.

The now yearling cubs exchanged a knowing glance, and as the night progressed, they only did it more often.

Juno

She was somewhat relieved when he decided to just leave things be for now. It was nice to hear they were close to town, though, she was ready to have a break from the forest floor being her bed most every night. "We should find somewhere to stay when we get there," she said offhandedly, watching as he prepared the rabbits.

At first she hadn't noticed the bears, they'd gotten quite good at hiding themselves when they wanted to. Finally, though, she caught a glimpse of the reflection of the fire in one's eye and turned toward them, smiling. "Hello, my sweeties," she cooed, standing and going over to them. Not even noticing the interactions between the two before, Dacia smiled sadly at them now that she wasn't facing Dorian and leaned close to hug Constance, burying her face in the bear's warm fur.

"I don't think I'm ever going to understand all of this," she purposefully mumbled into her, sighing heavily as she knelt down to be at eye level. "Hm, you're a smart girl...what should Mama do?" she teased, petting the bear's neck. Constance just grumbled at her, though, huffing hot breath against her hair as she plunked herself down on her bottom, eyeing Dorian over Dacia's shoulder.

Haze

Dorian heard Dacia's muffled voice, but it was too quiet for him to be bothered about concentrating on. Whatever she'd said to the bear was her business.

"They're getting big, huh?" He asked absently, as he continued to prepare dinner, staring at Clarity, who was staring right back. It still unnerved him just as much as the first time it had happened back in Ketra. No matter how hard he'd tried to put it from his mind, the memory still clung to him like a smell. He broke the staring contest, and Clarity seemed to snort in victory. "Whatever, smarty pants. Just because you don't have to blink as often as I do." He shook his head and grinned at the bear. And she smiled a toothy grin back.

As he finished with the rabbits, he took the two sticks he'd used as roasting spears over to Dacia, handing her one and setting himself beside her. As he nibbled away at the hot flesh, he peered across at the girl. He felt a familiar ache in his fingers, and couldn't help himself. "Will you snug me tonight?" he asked shyly, meaning would she lay with him, her body nestled into his. He felt he needed the reassurance tonight, that her feelings for him were unchanged.

Juno

She'd nodded for his comment about the bear's growth, feeling it needed no addition from her since it'd been one of the things on her mind today. Quietly sitting with Constance, she'd petted the young bear as she watched the little exchange between Clarity and Dorian. It made her smile a bit, a warmth lighting her eyes to see him still be that way after their earlier tension. It was almost uncanny, though, how Clarity just seemed to have a look about her, a spark of her personality showing. She was such a smart bear. The pair of them were, really.

Dacia thanked him as he handed her the stick, untangling herself from hugging Constance so that she could eat. She did slip her a few pieces she hadn't wanted, though, knowing full well she spoiled her rotten. As she ate she could feel Dorian's eyes on her, his look not hidden in the least. It surprised her in the moment, what he said, but a smile gradually overtook her as she continued to eat, nodding. "Yeah, that'd be nice," she said finally, relieved that he still wanted to be close.

As it got later into the evening, their meal well and fully gone, Dacia yawned as she went about checking her bag, making sure her things would be in order for the morning. Satisfied, she looked to the bears at the edge of the clearing as she made her way back to Dorian, shaking her head at the seriousness they watched them with.

"Awful expressive tonight," she joked as she nestled herself down to sit by him, then eventually moved into a more comfortable position as she wrapped an arm around him. Settling in for the night, she couldn't help but notice how quiet their bears were being. It was unnerving, but she tried to put her troubling thoughts to rest as she cuddled up with Dorian for the night.

~~~

[center:glixlr9l]A flash of light burst through, the sound of running water not far off. She sniffled, hunkering down as she watched for movement.

Shouts were loud in her ears. Then a roar. Ground shaking. Whistling. Crackling. Birds fleeing.

A shift forward and she sat there ogling the ones kneeling beside the furry thing. She whimpered at the sight of her mother lying still. The girl was crying. Why was she crying?

Another shift. Growling. More shouts. Weeping. The smells of the city inescapable.

She sat staring at the girl. She knew her. The look of that smile flashed before her and then she was driven to darkness again.

The pounding of her heart as she ran, the huffing and grunting of a bear on the hunt.

Moments. Moments were all that were shown. Glimpses into the past.

Things changed.

Looking down from a great height, she roared, showing herself in full for the first time. A great creature shaking her head about as her shout echoed across a canyon, daring anyone to challenge her strength. The angle afforded a glimpse of the lines. Her chest. Then rustling, more running.

At last, a cave was shown, the bear gesturing, pointing with her snout to it high up on the mountainside, a view of snow falling in the distance. Then darkness.
[/center:glixlr9l]

Dacia jolted awake. It was still pitch dark, their fire still smoldering, but she looked around them for a moment, startled by what she'd seen. Looking up, she could see that the bears were snuggled together as well, still sleeping. As she settled back down again for the rest of the night to pass she couldn't help but feel...watched. Something was amiss.

Haze

Dorian slept soundly, quietly snoring away, as dreams overtook his mind.

First, glimpses of her face. Smiling, laughing, scowling, crying. Pleading with him to be okay, to pull through. Then it wasn't her. It was a huge shadowy thing, formidable but not threatening. Big brown eyes staring deep into his very being.

Eyes that he knew, but couldn't place.

Outside of himself now, he watched as he ran. Ran like he'd never run before, almost animal like in his gait. Sights and smells he'd never noticed before now crystal clear. He was heading towards a cave, high in the mountains. Somewhere he'd never been before, but like some magnetic force was pulling him, he saw it.

A bear. Tall, strong, intelligent. He wasn't himself at all.

He woke with the dawn, frowning deeply at the dream. It was disturbing. To know that he had been feeling so himself, but that he wasn't himself. In fact, he had been a lot like Clarity. As he lifted his head, so did she. Another staring contest again. The bear snorted gently, nodding her head to him.

What did that mean. He lay back again, eyes staring at the sky above. Dacia was still sleeping, but he couldn't help himself. "Dacia?" He ran a gentle hand through her sleep touseld hair. "Love, are you awake yet? I had the strangest dream..."

Juno

It wasn't until morning that she roused again, mumbling something in her sleep as she felt Dorian's hand running through her hair. Dacia turned over a bit, sighing, but then she heard his voice break through to her. "Mm...?" She slowly opened her lids, the gentle light of sunrise not too bright yet for her sleepy eyes.

"Dream?" she said over a yawn, snuggling closer against him. "Did you have a nightmare again?" She wasn't aware yet that they'd practically shared a dream. Dacia didn't realize what it meant or that it even had a purpose. She wouldn't deny the way it made her feel uneasy when she'd awoken earlier in the night, but she wasn't too sure it had meant something either.

Haze

Dorian smiled as she snuggled against him, readjusting himself so that her head could rest on his chest. He enjoyed these sleepy affectionate moments from her the best. Yawning, he shook his head in reply.

"No ... it wasn't a nightmare, I don't think. I dreamt about you a little, like little snippets of consciousness from when I was out of it back at Ma's house. But then your face changed, and you were a bear... Clarity... staring at me. It was just like that time - you remember. But then I was running, and I was outside of myself." He paused, remembering the sensations, a puzzled, dreamlike frown creasing his brow. " and I was a bear. I was heading towards a cave, high up in the mountains - it was like... I had to get there like my life depended on it."

He gave a little shrug, and squeezed Dacia lightly, "I don't know. I feel like ... it was so vivid and real... but I'm still missing something. Never mind. The mind does strange things when sleeping, huh?"