Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Smarter Than Your Average Bear

Started by Juno, December 14, 2011, 12:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

Lying there with him and slowly becoming more and more awake as she listened to him explain his dream to her, Dacia began to feel a bit strange. She remembered the dream she'd had. There was hardly anything similar about the beginning with Dorian's, but the running, the cave high on the mountain. It jolted her a bit, but she tried not to show it as she raised her head to look at him.

Maybe she was going crazy. Maybe both of them were going crazy. She couldn't shake the thought, though, of their dreams ending in relatively the same manner. "Dorian," she tried slowly, blinking a few times as she stared at him, eyes seeming to focus on something else. She was hesitant to share her own with him, afraid of the unknown multitude of possibilities for what the similarities might mean for them.

"Um, I don't think it's all that strange... I kind of had something similar happen in mine." Dacia turned to look to the bears, who she caught looking right at them, and winced. She nuzzled against Dorian's shoulder, not ready to part from him yet. "But maybe we were just thinking about a lot of the same things?" she offered with a short, unsteady chuckle.

Haze

Dorian was startled by the fact that they had had similarities in their dreams. What on earth was it supposed to mean, if anything at all. He frowned again, but as she nuzzled against him he turned his head to kiss her forehead. "Maybe." He sighed, knowing that if they were going to make it into town by lunchtime they'd need to get going, but not really wanting to move. The comfortableness of their positioning was just too tempting to use as an excuse to stay in bed.

Cheekily, Dorian snuck another kiss on top of Dacia's head, then rolled over neatly, leaning on his elbow. "We have to get going, soon," he said in a voice belied the fact that he really didn't want to move, but he took the opportunity to apologise for last night. "Dacia, I really am sorry for making things so uncomfortable last night. I do love what we have together. We don't have to rush into anything, okay?"

And with that he gave her a sturdy kiss, a little tickle along her sides, and stood. "Come on - I'll get everything together."

Juno

Dacia pouted at his reminder, not wanting to move from their warmth or away from the comforts being so near afforded. His apology was a bit unexpected, but she nodded in understanding. As she opened her mouth to respond, however, he'd swooped in to claim a kiss and tickled her, causing her to flinch and try to roll away before she started laughing uncontrollably. Grinning and shaking her head, she sat up and got to her feet.

"It's not that I'm afraid of the idea, it just surprised me," she explained, feeling right in accepting his apology today. "It really would be nice to settle down someday."

As Dorian packed up, she went to the bears. Kneeling before Constance, she leaned her head close, touching foreheads, and stared her in the eye. Are you trying to tell me something, baby girl? she wondered as she hugged the beloved fur ball, receiving a playful bat on her side in return. Snorting, Dacia moved away after a moment, ruffling the fur between her ears, which Constance grumbled for, pawing at the woman's arm in annoyance. Dacia just laughed as she went to grab up her bag, coaxing the bears to come along with them as they headed off back down the road.

Haze

Dorian was pleased that they'd been able to slip once again into their comfortable companionship. It was always nice, walking with her, just being in her company. He was feeling assured now, too, that she did still want the same thing as he did. She wasn't saying no - she was just saying not right now.

As they headed into town Dorian ovserved as the bears walked ahead. Their heads were bent towards each other, and they grunted and snorted in conversation. Dorian watched thoughtfully as every now and again they'd give each other a nudge. It was like they were becoming more and more animated, more...

~*...How long...*~

"Hmm?" He turned and looked down at Dacia at the sound of a voice, "oh, I'd say about another half hour. Why? Are you getting tired? "

Juno

She thought it was really pleasant just walking with them. With Dorian at her side, their loose ends from before tied up now, things were calm once again. The bears seemed happy enough as they went along. She could hear their low, throaty bellows as they walked. The huffs, snorts, and short growls. These were all noises she'd become accustomed to in their travels together.

Everything had been so quiet, so still except for them nearing the end of this leg of travel. Dorian started talking then, looking at her as if she'd mentioned something. Dacia looked to him, making eye contact as he explained that they weren't much further, but became puzzled. A spark of concern glimmered in her eyes.

"Dorian...? That's nice to hear and all, and no, I'm feeling alright, but... I didn't say anything." She wondered if he was imagining things, perhaps going over a past conversation in his head or something. Still, she kept an eye on him. "Are you feeling alright? Do you want to take a break?" Dacia wasn't sure if it'd been an honest slip of his thoughts or if there was something else amiss, but it was bothering her all the same. She reached out to him, carefully slipping her fingers to intertwine with his own and giving a gentle squeeze.

Haze

"Yes you did, " Dorian laughed, guessing that she was teasing him, "you said 'how long?'" Then his smile faded a little as she slipped her hand into his. "Really? You didn't say anything?" He brought his free hand up to scratch his head, a bewildered look taking presidence on his features to match Dacia's puzzled eyes.

"I could have sworn I heard you ..." He broke off and shook his head. "No... I don't think I need a break. What I do need is a drink. Full of alcohol." Clarity looked over her shoulder at him then and huffed, as if to say no you don't.

Maybe ... maybe she said it. The bear. The bear? No. No ... that's crazy. Dorian you're going mad. You're just imagining it. The bear continued to stare at him, and Dorian's face paled as he swallowed back an uneasy lump in his throat. He squeezed Dacia's hand in return, and lowered his voice to a conspicuous whisper.

"Come on ... let's just keep going."

Juno

Dacia simply rolled her eyes at the mention of alcohol. "No, you do not," she insisted, glancing to the bear who was staring him down. She giggled for that. It was like Clarity had understood just the same, but she didn't think anything of it right now.

She didn't understand what was going on, didn't even see the little hints, the slow development of actualization brewing inside of herself. Inside of Dorian, too.

Not caring for any sort of explanation of the episode, she nodded and they continued on their way.

It wasn't long until they began to see buildings in the distance. The bears slowed to walk directly in front of the pair, easing themselves back to end up walking at their side as they moved closer, seeming to remember their drill of entering a new place with them.

Dacia marveled at the look of everything, having never ventured this way in all her life. "It's nice," she commented, looking down to make sure their bears were where they needed to be. She didn't want any trouble or frightened people. It was curious to her, however, that the looks they seemed to get for walking with Clarity and Constance were not questioning. Most people seemed to glance over, as if it were normal for exotic animals to just waltz through town. Perhaps it was.

After questioning a few passersby, they determined the location of an inn. It turned out to be a building they'd already passed as it was near the woods, which would be perfect for their girls.

The small building was a quiet place, seeming void of almost any visitors at the moment. The inn-keeper hardly batted an eye at the bears, which Dacia found strange, but they were soon on their way. Their accommodations were quite spacious for such a little place. The bed ample for the two of them, a nice rug stretching to most of the room definitely more than enough for the girls to be beside them in the night.

"Hm, think she made a mistake?" Dacia said with a short laugh as she eased her pack from her shoulder and onto the floor by the bed. "It almost feels like a suite," she said, glancing to a door across the room that she would bet almost anything wasn't a closet.

Haze

The moments from earlier left him as they stepped into the inn, and consequently their room. Dorian too was in awe of the massive space. Like a little boy he dropped his bags, gazing around their home for the next few days. "I don't know if she made a mistake ... but I don't care!" He wizzed around, checking their view from the window, and moving over to the door he thought was a closet.

He opened the door and peered in. "Ohmygosh Dacia - it's an actual bath!" He spun around eyes wide with delight and mouth dropped open in shock. Then he ran over to the bed and threw himself face down. "This is the best inn in the world," he exclaimed into the bedclothes, laying for a moment like a starfish, "An actual bed. A big bed!"

Then he was scrambling up, sitting on the edge of the bed, and bouncing energetically. He carried on for a moment, eyes sparking with impish glee. Glacing over at Dacia, he grinned.

"Hmmm... bouncy," he said with a mock-seductive waggle of his eyebrows.

Juno

She watched as he buzzed from one part of the room to the next, chuckling at the emotions he wore, unguarded on his face. As the bears ambled closer, watching Dorian as well, each grunted and plopped herself down on the rug, seeming satisfied enough with the space without all the hype.

Dacia raised a brow at his statement about there being a bath, her assumptions being correct, but she had to see it for herself. Going over and pushing the cracked door open a bit wider, she peered inside as well. It was simple, but a beautiful sight as she ached so badly to use it. Maybe later... she thought, noticing a low shelf with a few towels, soaps and oils already set out in a final sweeping look as she backed away to gently close the door.

She turned, seeing Dorian splayed out across the bed, and just shook her head. "It is a nice bed," she commented, watching as he took to bouncing about. She drew closer, watching his antics. "Alright, alright, you're going to wear it out," Dacia said, putting her hands on his shoulders, trying to get him to ease up on all the bouncing. It was only just past midday and she already couldn't wait to curl up for the night as she took to eyeing the bed, admiring the visible plushness of it as well as the luscious, plump pillows set along the headboard. Yes, they would get good sleep tonight.

"Do you think we have enough to dine out tonight?" she asked sheepishly. "It'd be nice, we haven't in a while... Get something hot, maybe a beer..."

Haze

Dorian just beamed up at her as she placed her hands on his shoulders, and he nodded at her suggestion. "Beer sounds good," he said, snaking his arms around her waist and drawing her in to stand between his legs. Though he was letting the excitement settle, he was clearly still giddy, but it was giving way to something more potent.

He looked up at her, pulling her just a little closer and asked rakishly, "but what are we going to do in the meantime?" The tone in his voice alone alluded to his intentions for the afternoon.

There was in fact, plenty of things for them to do. They had to stock up on supplies, they could peruse the markets, see the sights, and Dorian had it in the back of his mind to do a little research into mountainous areas around La'marri.

That thought alone dampened any buzz he was feeling, and he slowly let go, flopping onto his back and staring at the ceiling. With a heavy sigh, he closed his eyes. "I still can't get that dream out of my head, Dacia."

Juno

The emotions he showed changed so quickly, just flipping through a series, that Dacia just shook her head as he drew her close, jumping from one to the next. She gave a small hug before he pulled away from her to lie back, which she watched with a look of pure puzzlement about her. He was acting so strange today.

Then he mentioned his dream again. Dacia sighed, crawling up to sit on the bed beside him, looking down at him with thoughtful eyes. "That again? It was probably just a dream, I wouldn't worry yourself with it too much... Have you had it before or something?" she asked, reaching a hand to fiddle with the lining of her pocket.

"But, come on. Maybe if we get back out and do something you won't think about it so much, hm?"

Haze

"No, I never had it before, " he prised his eyes open and looked over at her. "It just ... I never dream so vividly. It was just ..." he sighed and shook his head, running his hands over his eyes wearily. She was right, of course. There was no need to worry. It was just a dream.

He sat up again, holding his hand out to Dacia. "You're right, let's get out. We'll go out for dinner... I might even have enough for you to get yourself something new... if you wanted."

"Hey, you know how you can shear sheep?" Dorian asked, casting a thoughtful glance to the bears as they lolled about on the rug, "do you think you could shear a bear?"

Juno

"Early dinner it is," she said with a shrug, giving him a look. They both knew they probably shouldn't be buying unnecessary things right now, what with their limited cash. As she took his offered hand, Dorian effortlessly eased her tension with his unexpected talk of the bears. Snorting, she chuckled as she looked to the girls. She swore Constance was glaring at her, like she knew what had just been said. "I've no idea," Dacia said with a pleased sigh. "I can't imagine they'd be very happy. That and they'd look just...absolutely ridiculous."

She nudged at him, trying to get them out the door before one of their seemingly glaring bears tried anything. "Should we do anything else while we're out? I know we need a few things, but we could always go tomorrow instead. Maybe we should at least go explore a bit if nothing else." She flashed a grin his way. "Wouldn't want to be cooped up with you all day," she teased.

Haze

Dorian snorted at the idea of shaved bears, and shook his head as he was nudged out the door. "Be good, girls," he called, "or I might just have to see if bears can be shaved." Clarity lifted her head and snarled, but without malice. Dorian just laughed

"What's so wrong with being cooped up with me all day," he asked, getting his sly grin back, "I can think of plenty of things we could do... it's a really big bed..." On that note he raised an eyebrow at her, but obediently hearded them out of the inn and back on the road into town.

"I wonder why the bears didn't turn heads, today," Dorian mused, as he slipped his hand into Dacia's. It was interesting, this constant need to be in physical contact with her. It was like he was tethered to her in a way he couldn't comprehend. Being away from even the slightest of her touches made him cranky and unsure of himself. Now though, in this moment he felt like he was a whole being, once again.

"Do you think they have a lot of exotic creatures through here?"

Juno

As they left, she'd tried to hide the blush that rose to her cheeks for his comments, knowing exactly what he was trying to do to her. Don't give in to that, he's just teasing, she cheered herself on, proud that she hadn't given him a thump on the head. Or kicked him. Or pinched. All immature things.

Falling into a rhythm as they went about town and holding hands, as they almost always were nowadays, she pondered what he'd said as she'd wondered the same thing earlier. Perhaps bears were a common pet around here. She had no idea. Still, it was rather odd as Clarity and Constance were almost always getting worried looks from people.

"They might. Or if not, probably stranger things than bears around here," she offered back, shrugging as she looked around at the different buildings they passed by. Dacia gave his hand a gentle squeeze. She was so used to how their hands fit together now. She knew all the bends and creases, how the could fit together as puzzle pieces would. It was nice, gave her a warm sensation in her chest to know he still relished in little things like that with her.

It was then that she looked up to him for a moment, watching his eyes flicker about. She still thought they were so beautiful. Every day she was finding a new, little fleck of color in his expressive eyes. It was just one more thing she loved about him.

"I wonder if the girls would be insulted if we got them collars," she wondered aloud, giggling as she shook her head. "Maybe they'd just tear them off."

Haze

Dorian laughed, returning her hand squeeze. "I think they'd probably be quite put out. I can just see them now, sitting in the corner trying to claw them off, and barking and yowling at us. They're becoming very vocal." The image in his head was amusing to say the least, with Clarity glaring at him in a ' I hate you so much for doing this to me' and 'what do you think I am, an animal?' kind of way.

"I'm serious, Dacia. Those two think they're human."

For the first time in a long time, Dorian found himself unwilling to talk any further about the bears, and instead reverted to humming his little tune again, concoting devious plans in his head. As they neared the shops though, he looked down at Dacia. He knew she thought herself plain, and found accepting gifts extraordinarily hard to do. His eyes wandered down to her wrist entwined around his, the feel of warm silver against his skin, and occasionally the gentle bump of the bear charms. It had been battle enough getting her to accept that. Gods, he'd had to almost die.

I wonder if I actually would have to die for her to accept something else?

The shops were busy, people milling around talking and going about their business. It can't be said that Dorian wasn't aware of the appreciative looks he was getting from women he walked past. That buxom red head, in particular, who'd been nearly salivating as his shadow fell across her. In fact, his shoulders straightened just marginally. Yes, he was the man, but...

He gave Dacia's hand a reassuring squeeze, just in case she was getting all huffy and irritated. "They've got nothing on you," he said with a smile, and then averted his eyes ahead. He could see a store boasting to be the best suppliers of wares for climbing and camping, and he was interested in visiting. "Come on, I want to have a look in here. I just realised that we're no where near prepared for the life we live. We need a tent."

Juno

It was nice to have a calm quietness settle between them, at least when neither was angry at the other. It was comforting for her, having him so close as they explored the town, looking at all the shops, all the people. Yes, Dacia was quite enjoying herself.

She'd had no idea when his eyes wandered down to their hands, the bracelet. She was too distracted eyeing all of the people roaming about, all of the things people carried through the streets. So aware of everything going on around them, she did not miss the eyes of varies women glancing their way. She knew none of their looks were for her, and she didn't want them either, but she gritted her teeth impatiently as they walked together.

All of the attention on Dorian was beginning to get to her. Of course... Can't go anywhere without dealing with this, she thought with a sigh.

When she noticed a pretty red head ogling him, though, she snapped. Glaring daggers at the woman, Dacia was not soothed by the pressure on her hand. Nothing on me? Nothing on me?! Oh, so you did notice them! You were looking... It took all of her strength not to speak, or yell, these words to him. Her expression looked quite irritated still as they entered the shop he'd wanted to visit, mentioning something about a tent.

"What? But we've been fine without one all this time, why do you want to waste our money on that?" she asked with a heavy sighed dragging at the strength she'd meant to go behind the question. Looking about, though, she realized there were plenty of other things here that they hadn't had. Gloves, more heavy-duty packs, and the like were some of this store's wares, but Dacia couldn't help but raise a brow. Even the tents looked expensive. "Dorian, we don't need this, can we just go? We're getting poorer every second we're in here," she complained, glancing at some of the price tags.

Haze

Dorian rolled his eyes at her whinging. Wasn't it supposed to be women who enjoyed shopping? He wandered around, picking up a pair of gloves, running his thumbs over the fine make of them, and then over to a set of packs much less worn then their own. He could feel a bit of lust coming upon him just looking at all the things they could have.

"Yes, I know we've been getting on fine, but you know, winter's going to come around at some stage, and we need to be prepared. For ... you know... snow. And stuff." He rubbed the back of his neck, a giveaway gesture of his. He was trying to be as subtle as possible. That cave, up in the mountains. It had been freezing, even under the fur. Fur? What fur? Godsakes, Dorian. It was a dream. Let it go already.

"I'm not wasting money of I'm only looking," he retorted, inspecting various wares. "Can't we just wait a minute, and see?" Finally he sighed seeing Dacia's growing impatience.

"Fine," he said tersley, "you suggest where we go next then."

Juno

"Well, we can just stay in the south this winter," she complained, crossing her arms loosely as she waited for him off to the side, not catching the obvious sign of him touching his neck again. She saw the way he was looking at all of these things. She knew they were nice, would be nice to have for them. Sighing, she found herself looking about as well, eyeing a simple, but warm-looking scarf. Winter, he says. Snow.

"Well, look if you want, I can wait. I just thought we should be shopping for more practical things... Like...food? Maybe some clothes?" Dacia hoped he wasn't looking at all of this stuff because of his dream again. She knew colder weather would be upon them in a matter of months, but that didn't mean they needed to be buying stuff now. She suspected something else was going on with him.

Haze

"Just stay south." Dorian muttered under his breath, moving further down the back of the shop, and away from Dacia. "Practical things. A tent is friken practical. We can't just go sleeping out under the stars every night, and it's a damn lot cheaper in the long run, rather than staying in inns all the time." He continued to browse sulkily, put out by Dacia's lack of enthusiasm. Its like she can't even just dream for a moment, and imagine. I am being practical. We might need it.

With shoulder slumped in classic passive-aggressive stance, totally out of character from his usually happy-go-lucky machoism, he slunk back to the door. "Okay. Food then. Clothes. I need a new shirt." Now he was just plain grumpy, and he knew it wasn't fair so he tried the best he could to shake it off.

"Come on then," he said , holding the door open for her, "you lead the way."