Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Order of the Moon [Rina!]

Started by Tally, November 28, 2010, 03:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

Crow had met a good deal of noblemen who carried swords at their hips, and those men came in two flavors. The one kind carried swords better suited for hanging on a wall, brittle things with no balance that would fall apart if called to meet good steel.  The other kind, not so easy to find as the other but far from rare, carried well-forged swords and knew how to use them. The nobility had coin enough to pay the best swordsmen in the land for instruction if they took a fancy to do so.

"Let's see it then."  He held a hand out.  He would judge Sebastian's sword for himself.

The task before him seemed reasonable—well, less impossible—now he had a task to see to. It was easier to ignore the bigger questions with the particulars of getting them both outfitted crowding his mind.  "Aye, and we'll be using those funds, don't you worry.  They'll find good use."

They'd find excellent use in paying off a decent whore or two along the way, and for any delays Crow took to at his favored taverns.

Anonymous

Sebastian's sword was high quality and well made. It was a killing weapon, but it was made more for duels between nobles than it was for a fight against demons or vampires. Drawing the blade, Sebastian passed it over to Crow, beaming, "I'm really quite good with it! I am almost undefeated."

Reaching down, Sebastian tugged his money pouch free and handed that over to Crow as well, utterly trusting that Crow would take care of it for him. That Crow was planning on stealing from him didn't even occur to him, "Thank you sir! If it helps, I did spend one night outside. It was quite thrilling."

Tally

"Undefeated against who?" he asked, for the answer would be most important.  They would be fighting a manner of foe Sebastian would have only read about, or merely knew of through rumor.  If his only opponents had been other noble-blooded boys, then they both had considerable work to do before Sebastian was ready to face real danger on his own.

The sword itself took his fancy.  Well-balanced, obviously crafted by an expert.  It no doubt had its uses, but they would have to see about finding Sebastian a more practical weapon.

Crow had never had to teach before.  This would be an adventure for both of them.

One night outside.  The gods help us both.  Sebastian would need their grace to survive, and Crow would need their grace not to kill him himself.  He had not been blessed with a considerable patience for others.  What had Lucian been thinking?  A consequence for his lack of foresight with the baron would have been acceptable.  This was not a consequence.  This was a torment.

One good thing had come out of this.  He had the coin now, and said a little prayer of thanks to the gods that the boy was so simple.

Anonymous

"The other noblesons I was being trained with. And I beat most of the older boys." Sebastian puffed his thin chest out. He was very good at dueling, "A few of them were even real battles."

Still watching Crow, he deflated a little. The other man just seemed so angry. He didn't know what to do to impress him. "Um...It was a very educational night out. Vulcan showed me how to camp a little bit. And I'm a quick learner. I've studied lots of books."

Tally

Crow barked out a short, sudden laugh.  Real battles!  This kid was better than a jester.

He led the way to the ground floor and then into the offices of Lord Talii's steward where, after some thought, he simply request double everything he usually required for a journey.  The rest...the rest he would have to figure out as he went.

"I hope you enjoyed it.  We'll be sleeping on the ground often.  Do you have a horse good for hard travel?"  That the lad owned horses he had little doubt.  The question in his mind was if any of them were suitable for the journey.

Anonymous

"It was exciting. And I suppose I'll get used to it quickly then. It's important for heroes to be able to travel well." Sebastian didn't really like sleeping on the ground, but he was going to learn. It was all part of the adventure.

"Well, I have some horses. I'm not sure the best. I...uh...am not the best horsemen." He looked a little sheepish, wanting so badly to impress Crow.

Tally

"Yes well, neither am I.  But I'll know a suitable animal if I see one."  A course of action was forming itself in his mind.  Now the initial shock was over, he had a job to do, and that job was inclusive with Sebastian.  It was uncalled for, it was aggravating, and it was—inescapably—his responsibility.

Crow led the way downstairs to the knight's quartermaster, silent on just where he was going and what he was doing.  He wasn't used to explaining things to people.  That Sebastian might want to know their next task or might benefit from knowing it did not occur to him.

Anonymous

Sebastian trailed after Crow. While the other man might be quiet, Sebastian hadn't learned the fine art of shutting up, "I'm sure we can get me a good horse though. I mean, the ones I have at home are good, but I'll need a proper heroes steed I imagine. Do you think there are still ones around that have like, fae blood in them? Like in the stories? Oh! I wonder if I could get a unicorn. That would make a really cool mount. Do you know where one gets a golden bridle?"

Tally

Crow stopped and rounded on Sebastian.  "Yes, I do know where you can get a golden bridle.  And I know who has use for a golden bridle.  Parade riders and first sons who will never see a dirt trail in their life."  He stepped closer as he spoke, until he had Sebastian backed against a wall.

"Goldwork is used in ceremony, and on altars, and for bloody weddings, because it's flashy and extravagant.  We will be traveling through mud and rain down forest paths where ticks and fleas will feast on us.  We will be using the most nondescript shit-brown colored tack we can find to avoid drawing attention.  The only fucking good a golden bridle will do us is bring in some coin, which we don't need.  So now you tell me.  What use do you think we have for golden bridles?  It had better be a damn good one, because otherwise you are just that stupid."

Anonymous

Sebastian pressed back up against the wall, wide eyed and rather startled by Crow's sudden anger, "W-well, yes, of course. I meant a gold bridle. Like, a real one. You know, the kind you need to catch unicorns and flying horses..."

Tally

"Let's follow this thought all the way through and see if you're worth something or if I'm going to have to treat you like an infant the entire time.  Given that I just said we want to avoid attention, how does riding about on unicorns help us do that?"

Anonymous

"Oh. Um. I'm sorry, I kind of forgot about that part." Sebastian flushed darker, shrinking back a little. He had really wanted to impress Crow, bond with the other man. He rather looked up to him, as a Knight in the Order of the Moon. But he seemed to be messing everything up, "I was just excited and I talk to much when I'm excited. I'm sorry. I'll do better! I promise!"

Tally

"Oh you promise!"  Crow clapped his hands together.  "Splendid, then there's nothing to worry about!  Let's go."

He had to stop and rub at his temple for a moment.  He'd completely forgotten where they were headed next and why.

The quartermaster!  Right.  To set themselves up with supplies for the journey.  Then after preparations in the city they'd be back here in the evening to join the lord for supper.

Anonymous

Sebastian brightened up now that Crow seemed in a much better mood. Sarcasm was lost on the painfully honest boy, "What kind of supplies are we going to get?"

Tally

"We'll have the quartermaster set us up with food and water.  Bedrolls, any extra weapons we might be needing, clothing.  We'll get my tack repaired, get you some that's fit for travel.  Then I want to see if you have a horse worth taking."

After arguing with himself over how much to request and of what, Crow ended up asking for double of what he would be taking if he was alone.  Outside of the manor, it was later in the day than he would have liked.

"Take me to your estate.  Let's see your horses."

Anonymous

"Yes sir!" Sebastian was in high spirits, excited about all the new gear. He was bouncing in place, "It's just this way! Oh how exciting! When do you think we can leave? Tonight? Can we leave tonight? What's it like on the road?"

His families estate in the city wasn't far. It was modest, with larger ones through out the countryside. Sebastian didn't bother going to the manner, he just led Crow around to the stables, where a number of fine horses were kept.

Tally

"I'd like to leave tonight after we pay our respects to the lord's family."  Crow didn't bother with cycles of night and day.  He slept when he was tired and worked when he was not.

The horses proved better than he'd expected.  Some of them would actually be worth something on the road.  "Which of these are yours to take?"

Anonymous

Sebastian pointed to a horse that was actually pink. It was a pale white color, but it shimmered pink and gold when the light hit it. It's main was a pale, creamy golden color as well. Sebastian beamed at Crow, "That on is mine!"

Tally

Crow shuddered at sight of that horse.  He didn't even go near it.  "No."

It wasn't bad, but it would stand out too much, and he doubted it would hold up with the kind of travel they'd be doing.  And he'd kill the thing if he had to stare at it day after day.

There were others in the stable, more suitable.  Crow wandered between them and stopped at a dusty brown bay.  "What about this one?  Can you take this one?"

Anonymous

"What's wrong with Golden Rose?" Sebastian pouted slightly. He adored his horse and was loath to leave it behind, "I mean, yes. I can take that one, but I would much rather have Golden Rose."