Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Just a Flesh Wound

Started by stelmarisa, January 22, 2012, 02:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stelmarisa

The sun was beating down on Yoreiq, the wind only a light breeze as one walked away from the sea. Further out it had whipped into enough of a wind to stir up the waves, providing billows just high enough to surf. There weren't many people out there this morning, and they tended only to be the more skilled of the island's surfers, able enough to judge the rise and fall of the wind and the choppy effect it was having on the water.

The 'more skilled' however, didn't include Ewelani. No matter how often she practised, or how much she loved the sea, it seemed as if she would just never master the art of the surfboard. Today she thought she had been doing well - managing to stay upright, and even navigating several waves ... until she fell. That had been when she realised how close to the shore she was - and in particular, how close she was to a particularly nasty cluster of rocks.

Now she found herself limping to the wisewoman's hut, one deep gash in her thigh surrounded by many smaller scratches. It was a long cut, stubbornly bleeding as she dragged her board along, and she acknowledged with a sigh that she was going to have  to get it seen to. Trailing the bright board behind her, she paused as she reached the hut in question. "Um... hello?"

She couldn't see anyone. She leaned her board against the side of the hut and climbed the steps gingerly, wincing as she bent her knee, and knocked softly on the door.

"Excuse me?"

Anonymous

Noelani glanced up when Neolani heard someone approaching. Noelani's senses tingled, magic telling Noelani the person was bleeding. Noelani smiled when Noelani heard their voice, "Come in Ewe. Surfed too close to shore again? Or did an eel get you?"

It wasn't hard to guess what the cause was. Ewwlani loved to surf, but wasn't blessed by the gods and today was a good day to be on the waves. Noelani knew Koi was out there, with Noelani's eldest most likely.

Noelani patted the ground in front of where Noelani sat, "Let's have a look at that wound."

stelmarisa

Ewelani sighed as she settled herself on the mat in front of Noelani, injured leg stretched out in front of her. "I fell off.... there were rocks there." She shrugged as she admitted to her mishap, slightly embarassed to be back in need of help. At least Noelani always managed to patch her up, without judgement.

She poked experimentally at the wound. "It's not too bad I don't think... kinda deep though. The rest is just scratches."

Anonymous

"Mmmm. So eager. You are like Koi. Rush rush rush and seeing only what you want. Forgetting about the world around you." Noelani's fingers lightly traced across the wound, feather light across the cuts, harder around the deep wound, feeling it, "I'm sorry for the pain I must cause you. But the wound isn't so bad. There is no poison in your blood."

Noelani stood and moved around the hut, her movements precise and easy as she gathered a few herbs, "Did you get many good waves?"

stelmarisa

Ewe grimaced as Noelani's fingers explored the wounds, her leg shaking. "Well, that's good, at least," she murmered, letting Noelani's words wash over her. Chin resting on her hand, she watched the wisewoman move around her hut, admiring her grace and elegance.

"A few. But I wasn't upright long enough to catch the best ones," she smiled self-deprecatingly. "I saw Koi out there though. I think he was with Kai."

Anonymous

"I'm sure. Kai takes after Koi. Too much if you ask me." Noelani shook their head as they mixed the herbs together, spitting into the mixture. They sat back next to Ewe, fingers tracing along her leg again to locate the wounds.

"Your blood is clean. The ocean is good for that. This will sting a little, I'm sorry." Noelani's delicate fingers pressed the mixture into the wound, covering the bleeding areas thoroughly, "It will harden and you will need to be careful. Don't get it wet or break it off before it's ready to come off. The deep one I can wrap if you like?"

stelmarisa

"That's okay." Ewe bit her lip, grimacing as the mixture was pressed into her wounds. "That might be a good idea... I'll only forget about it and end up ruining it if it's not wrapped." She rolled her eyes at herself merrily, the pain not subduing her for long.

"So no more attempts at surfing for a few days?"

Anonymous

"Not unless you have learned to surf on dry land." Noelani smiled, their touches light as they finished applying the salve, "I can wrap it for you." Standing, Noelani moved around their hut, finding some bandages. It was made of the fibrous palm leaves and Noelani carefully wrapped Ewe's thigh, "What will you do while you can't surf? Koi goes stir crazy when they can't be in the water."

stelmarisa

"That looks better," Ewe poked experimentally at the bandages, wincing a little when it stung. She rolled her eyes at herself. Jabbing at a wound was never the best idea, really.

"I don't know... oh, I do!" her eyes lit up. "I think I will go and hang around the port, maybe there will be traders!" She forgot the pain, leaning forwards excitedly. "Do you think there might be traders from the mainland soon, Noelani?"

Anonymous

"Oh, maybe? I can't say I've ever paid much attention to their comings and goings. You have talent they can use though, don't you?" Noelani smiled and shooed the girls hands away from her wound, "Don't poke it. It will take longer to heal the more you mess with it."

stelmarisa

"Oh, I do! They always like coming to look at my jewellery and things," Ewe bounced as she spoke, immodest in her excitement. "Maybe I can get them to tell me stories as payment, I love hearing about the mainland."

She fiddled with her bandage, totally forgetting Noelani's warning. "What do you think it is like there, Noelani?" she spoke wistfully, chin resting on her hand as she gazed at the wise woman.

Anonymous

"You do make beautiful creations." Noelani liked the few bits they had managed to collect over the years. The textures and details were fun to trace with their fingers. Reaching over, Noelani lightly smacked Ewe's fingers, "Don't touch. And I don't know. I've only heard a little about it. Someone stayed for dinner who was from the mainland. They wore metal clothes for some reason. And it seems very violent."

stelmarisa

"Sorry!" Ewe crossed her arms across her torso, in an attempt to keep from playing with her bandage. Her eyes lit up as Noelani carried on, and she laughed as she pictured the foreigners. "Metal clothes? You can't wear metal! How do they move?" She laughed merrily, struggling to imagine armour. "Why do you think it's violent? It sounds so different from what it is like here..."

She sighed quietly. "I'd like to see it."

Anonymous

"It's very loud and strange." Noelani laughed, bright teeth flashing, "They were so hot in it all. They said it was because of dangers on the large island." Reaching over, Noelani patted Ewe on the arm, "I hope you can get to go see it someday. Just be safe. It sounds like it's a dangerous place."

stelmarisa

Ewe nodded thoughtfully, considering this information. "I wonder what the dangers are, that are so bad that they wear metal clothes instead of avoiding them. You couldn't run or swim very fast if you were dressed like that!"

"I wish I could go," she continued dreamily. "Maybe one day I could go back with some of the traders, and see what their world is like." She paused suddenly then, a thought occuring to her. "But what if I couldn't come back?"

Anonymous

"Then you weren't meant to come back. Our hearts draw us to where we are supposed to be. If you think you should go, then you should go. Explore and discover and bring back tales and stories." Noelani gave Ewe a soft smile, "Now, you are all patched up. Be gentle with it."