Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Party Mermaids in the hoooouse toniiiight.

Started by Glimmeringpearl, January 29, 2012, 12:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glimmeringpearl

Lying belly on the shore is a rather glum looking mermaid. She lies, arms crossed, cheek pressed against them with trouble sea-green eyes. Her waves of scarlet hair lay sprawled upon the hot sand. She lets out a gloomy sigh as her eyes pool with tears, making them tint red against green-ish blue irises. Glimmer sniffs quietly, trying to hold back the overwhelming burning sensation that comes with crying. No, she will not cry. She is no longer and child and only children cry.

l[ Hey everyone, this is Glimmer being a pouty-fish. :D Good to meet ya'll. ]l

Haze

Reevahn didn't often come out this far. She tended to stay in the waters surrounding Serendipity, but today, the ocean had had her own ideas. It tugged her along in it's currents, and she'd hardly had to stretch out her indigo tail at all. As she lazily twirled through the water, feeling the change of water as she got closer to the Isles.

Nearing the shore, Reevahn poked her blonde head over water, and her eyes flickered to the form of another tailed creature lying on the hot sand. Wrinkling her nose, she quickly looked around to see if there was anyone coming. Maybe this other one was calling to someone. She couldn't hear a song though, and an eyebrow lifted.

"You will dry out if you stay in the sun," she called out matter-of-factly, using her tail to splash water over the still body. "Get back in the water."

Glimmeringpearl

The mermaid turned her upper body to wipe her tears quickly away and what she saw brought her into instant alarm. A siren!! The sea's temptress and easily a profound enemy to her kind! At least, in her city it was. Her fingers darted across the sands for a weapon. She found a strawberry conch shell and gripped the thicker, un-tapered end like the hilt of a dagger and held it high above her head. "Back, sea-temptress!!" She curled her coral tail out of the water and onto the sand more, her red-tinted cornea's filling more with fear than grief. She raised herself up higher on her tail, the sash-like pelvic and pectoral fins wrinkling beneath her. "I... I don't want to hurt you, but I will not fall victim to you. I am a formidable enemy, I promise you!"

Haze

It was all she could to do to not roll her eyes at the girl. How ridiculous. What does she think she's going to do with that? Whack me over the head? Reevahn snorted at the thought, and lifted an eyebrow with clear disdain over her features.

"Sea-temptress? Pah!" She flicked her tail infinitesimally, sending another small spray of water over the girl. "I am no more a 'temptress' than you are a warrior. Put the shell down, you silly thing, and get out of the sun."

Glimmeringpearl

The mermaid sniffed, her eyes immediately softening. She slouched and put the shell down by her side as her eyes began to water and a single tear began to roll down her freckled cheek only to be foiled by the wiping of her wrist. "I-I may as well just fry out here! What is a mermaid without honor and glamour...? She is nothing. I am nothing." She began to weep pitifully.

"Your people do not know the pressure and misery of the rites of passage, do they? You adorn no charm nor embellishments aside from the common things found among our homes." She explained through her raspy voice, holding palm up at her, as if to offer the siren as an example.

Haze

Reevahn's mouth twisted into something like smirk. This creature was a misery-guts. And she so easily launched into assuming what Reevahn knew, or how she carried herself. Drawing herself closer, she hauled up onto the beach beside the younger girl, and crossed her arms across her chest.

"Don't start to assume what I do and do not know, little one." She took on a patronizing tone. To be honest, she could quite easily flip herself back into the water, and be done with it, but she stayed. "You're upset because you do not have something pretty for your hair? Or a necklace around your neck? Pah. That is so easily solved. I know of a ship wreck around here.

"Shall I show you?"

Glimmeringpearl

Glimmer's eyes shot open wide as tears began to spill down her cheeks at the word "shipwreck." She shouldn't be so excited that the structure full to disaster but... It was her only hope of going home. The young mermaid flung herself at the siren, grasping her about the neck and clasping her arms around her. "Thank you! Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!" She sobbed into her neck. "I want to go home so badly... Thank you so much. Maybe they'll accept me back if I get something from there. Please show me." She said and pulled herself from the siren.

Glimmer then sprung up with her tail into the water, her scarlet hair making plumes in the water, waiting for the siren to lead her on.

l[ OOC: Sorry if that's too much Godmodding. Let me know if it bothers you and I'll rewrite. :) ]l

Haze

[Nope, that's okay. Still enough room for me to do... something!]

She stiffened with the sudden contact, her entire body went rigid as a board, arms straight at her sides, trapped by Glimmer's. She didn't even breath. Wide eyes stared disbelievingly across the ocean at the hysterics, and when the mermaid finally let go, she spluttered for a moment.

She didn't really get a chance yo say anything though, even if her brain could jump-start itself in time. The thing had flitted off into the ocean. Reevahn just dropped her head into her hands, and groaned a little. "What have I started?"

She rolled herself resignedly into the water, and soon caught up with Glimmer. "Do you have a name, mermaid? Or do you introduce yourself after hugging people?"

Glimmeringpearl

The young maid blushed furiously, realizing all the codes of social space she just broke. "G-Glimmer. My name is Glimmer. Do you have a name, Siren?" She asked, mimicking Reevahn's question format as she swam half-heartedly beside her. She felt uncomfortable near the Siren. Mermaids were very touch-oriented creatures. Unlike humans, mermaids love the sensation of touch. "Have you been in this part of the ocean long?" She asked, wondering if the woman knew the area well. Perhaps she could help her get used to this area, that is, if she didn't find her specific jewelry.

Haze

Reevahn swum lazily, enjoying the feel of the water around her, like she did so often. It was the small things like that, that delighted her the most. "I'm Reevahn. And now we can stop with the 'mermaid, siren' thing, right? I'm not going to eat you. You little miss, cannot judge a single being's entire race. As far as I'm concerned, I'm no different from you..." she paused her little lecture to give Glimmer a playful wink, closing her blue eye briefly. "...except I can probably sing better," she teased.

Manoeuvring her to swim on her back she let her arms float above her head, tangling a little into her hair. "This part? Near the Isles? No way... I stick around Serendipity. But I have been known to make the odd appearance over this way every now and then.

"So, little Glimmer, what exactly are we looking for, for you?"

Glimmeringpearl

Glimmer kept her belly facing downward to the coral reef, which reflected the color of her tail, a pink-orange color that when the light hit it, shimmered gold on her iridescent fin. She admired the life that flitted down there, smiling as if remembering as she spoke. "When I was small, they claimed there was a war between our people. They say you ate our kin without second thought. Even stole our eggs." She said quietly, her smile fading as she remembered the horrible nightmares the tales used to give her. She looked up at Reevahn. "But... You look nothing like them. No sharp teeth or spiney, twisted tail. In fact you look like..." She neared her as if to examine her.

"Me." She said, pointing to herself with her other hand. She returned to her own personal space with her brows knitted together, as if extremely perplexed by the siren's appearance. Why would her people lie about the sirens? She dismissed the thought to the back of her mind, to be dwelled on later. Instead, she focused to her task at hand. "Every mermaid has a certain item that suits them. My friend, Shine, likes diamonds best... I don't know what I like though... I certainly haven't found anything. I need something that I'll spend the rest of my life collecting and then... I get to go to the banquet and find a mate." She said, matter-of-factly.

Haze

Reevahn listed to Glimmer's story with an amused sort of smile, and only grinned broader as the mermaid made her conclusion that yes, Reevahn was just like her. She nearly rolled her eyes at the girl. Sheltered, isn't she? "Nope, nothing like that. In fact, I've never actually seen a siren quite like that. Except my oldest sister, when she's on a man-hunt." She did roll her eyes now, at the ridiculous way Ryxana practised her nasty look.

"That doesn't sound like a very exciting life," the siren commented. "You're telling me that basically, you're going to spend the rest of your days hunting out some pretty gem or something, and get married and have babies and that's it?"

Glimmeringpearl

The mermaid blinked and looked over to her as if that was the most vexing statement in the world. "But.. That's what our kind does. Nothing more is needed than that. Is there more...? I don't understand." She looked around at the fishes below. That's what they did, right? They have children and die. Her mother did that... And so did her mother before that! What else was there?

"What do Sirens do? Don't you have your rite of passage, mate, and then pass on?"

Haze

Reevahn almost shuddered at the simplicity of it all. Could she even begin to think of life in such a boring way? She lived for adventure, for exploration and for the excitement that came from trouble, and new things. In fact, it had been some time since she'd seen mainlanders, and that was the thing that intrigued her the most. Unlike her sisters, she didn't see them as food. She saw them as potential friends, and people who lived life in quite a different way from her.

Just like Glimmer. Giving her a cheeky grin, she retorted back to her question. "Siren's eat mermaids, Glimmer. Isn't that what you told me?" Drawing lazily on her magic, she formed a little bubble between her thumb and forefinger, and flicked it at the Mermaid's nose. "Silly thing. Yes, and I think it is the same for most creatures, human, mermaid, siren or otherwise. Though, I can't say we have a rite of passage as clearly as you do. But still, there is so much more to do before death claims you.

"Have you never wanted to explore the ocean, or explore the mainland, and to meet new people, and do new things, without having to answer to anyone but yourself? Who cares what your society thinks. Make your own rules! Life would be so boring if we just ... did what we were supposed to do. Don't you think?"

Glimmeringpearl

The mermaid blinked hard as the bubble popped in her face. She opened her eyes to show worry at the siren. "But what friends will I have? What will I do? What is there in the ocean that I have no seen? And I can't go on land." She said, wriggling her tail. She spotted a passing turtle and ran her fingertips over his shell, cautiously. "Life in my home is all I know. What else will I do?"

Haze

Reevahn positioned herself to swim below Glimmer, but on her back, looking up at the fragile little thing. Fragile, she decided, because every time the mermaid opened her mouth, there seemed to be a timid uncertainty. A self depreciation. Like she couldn't be worth something if she didn't have her jewels, or her friends. It was sad to Reevahn, who liked to think that every single being had a worth simply for being.

"That's the beauty of exploration, though. You make new friends the whole world over." The comment about not being able to go on land made her think though. She didn't know if mermaids possessed the same ability as her to change form. "Have you ever tried? Going on land, I mean?"

Glimmeringpearl

The mermaid sighed, with a frown about the exploration. There was nothing in the sea for her to figure out. She knew it because it was her home and there was never anything different about it. Then she heard her mention, walking on land. "What do you mean? Crawling onto the land on my stomach??" She laughed a little, half-heartedly, "When you first saw me I was on land. I have a tail and I will never be able to reach any mainland, especially crawling like I was..."

Haze

"Not crawling, silly," Reevahn giggled, thinking of the sight of the mermaid flopping about on the sand like a stranded fish. Not that there was anything funny about stranded fishies. That was just sad. But the image of Glimmer wiggling around had her covering her mouth to hide the snorts of laughter.

"Walking. You know ... on legs. Can you get legs?"

Glimmeringpearl

"I'm a mermaid, how would I suddenly get legs?" She had no idea what she was getting at as she continued swimming above the siren, looking down at her with an extremely confused expression. "Do sirens have legs?"

Haze

Reevahn stared open-mouthed for a moment. Seemed there was still things she had to learn about other creatures of the ocean's family. Almost comically, she used a hand to close her dropped jaw, and laughed at Glimmer. She was laughing for her own stupidity, assuming that all sentient, finned creatures of the sea might be the same. Glimmer'd already proven that they weren't just by the way in which she desperately wanted to find something pretty, so that she could live out the rest of her days doing ... whatever it was that mermaids did.

It was funny, because she had done herself something she'd scolded the mermaid for - judging, or assuming something about her, just from the knowledge that she knew. Always pays to get to know a person first, Reev. Just because you are different from your sisters, and don't do as your society expects, why would you assume that every creature outside of their normal society thinks like you? Silly girl.

Flipping back over to her stomach and swimming a little faster, with a nod towards a shadow nestled into the sand in the distance. "It's over there, come on." After a moment though, she answered Glimmer's question. "We can change, yes. We don't do it very often though. You should try it some time. I bet we could find someone to help us, if you wanted to."