Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Party Mermaids in the hoooouse toniiiight.

Started by Glimmeringpearl, January 29, 2012, 12:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glimmeringpearl

Glimmer swam along a little faster, to keep up with Reevahn, looking forward at the wreck with a mixture of excitement and a little guilt. But from the ashes come the roses of success, right? "What's it like on land?" She asked, blatantly. She was wondering, if she could ever go on land, what would it be like? What were the repercussions? She mused on it deeply, brows knitting together in deep though.

Haze

"Well," Reevahn started, "It's ... different. I haven't gone on land much. But there are so many interesting people to meet, and things to do." She didn't add the fact that for her, walking on land was like walking on glass, or that if she strayed too far from water she started to get sick.  It was a small price to pay for an adventure.

"But you didn't answer my question - would you like to?"

Glimmeringpearl

She twirled in the water, lingering lower to the floor of the sea that was ever expanding, but close enough to stay within earshot. "I guess...?" She seemed so unsure. "I don't know how... Do humans eat mermaids?"

Haze

"Do humans eat-" Reevahn lost it. She spiralled down to the sea floor, and skimmed across the sand, her hands crossed across her stomach as wave after wave of laughter left her. She sat for a moment, shaking her head and laughing.

When she could finally control herself enough, she just stared at Glimmer in open-mouthed amusement. "You know what, Glimmer - why don't you find out for yourself? If I were to tell you one way or another, you'd take my word for it, and never find out for yourself."

Glimmeringpearl

She didn't know what that meant. Did people not listen to what others told them and take it for truth? But Reevahn was right. She could find out for herself. "How would you turn my fin into legs? Split my tail?" She was a little upset about the thought as she looked upon her tail, it's glittering coral and flecks of gold gleaming back at her.

She had so many questions.

Haze

"I couldn't do it," she snorted in reply. "Don't be silly. What do I look like to you? A sea-witch? No, but we could find someone who could. My sisters once told me of a mage who lives near the sea, and grants wishes like that." She shrugged, and continued swimming towards the ship-wreck, only now noticing what looked like swirling clouds of black around the entire shipwreck.

"Uh... Glimmer... I don't know about you, but I'm not particularly fond of animals with sharp teeth." One finger extended to point towards the scene. "Sharks."

Glimmeringpearl

Glimmer clenched her teeth as soon as the word was spoken, shivers trailing up and down her spine. But her heart shouted in protest to the creeping fear. With those sharks there, she could not go in and find what she needed. She could not go home.

She swam to the deep crevices at the bottom on the sea floor and found a worm shell, which twisted like a ram's horn but instead, twisted tightly into the shape of a dagger. It was sharp on one end and she had gripped the other, larger end. She was quicker than they were. She could do this.

Haze

"Glimmer! Wait! What are you-" Reevahn's face, if it was possible, had gone even paler. She watched as the mermaid swam down to the sea floor, and chose a particularly nasty looking shell. Reevahn shook her head warily. She could see the little thing's idea, and she didn't like it. Not one bit.

Reevahn stopped, and turned herself away, pointing up towards the surface. "This is not a good idea!" She babbled, still shaking her head.  "I am NOT sticking around!"

Glimmeringpearl

The mermaid looked back at her, her once soft face now stony with wrinkled nose and bared teeth, clench together in rage. She would not be bested by these. "They will not talk away my chance at going home!" She snapped, whipping around and heading instantly for the sharks.

Haze

Reevahn stopped, and turned to watch Glimmer head into the mayhem. She stayed still for several moments, upright, and being kept that way by the gentle swishing of her tail. Her arms came to hug around her belly, and she shuddered. When it came to facing humans, and things unknown, Reevahn was as brave as the next person. But with sharks? They absolutely petrified her.

She shook her head slowly. She just couldn't bring herself to join her new acquaintance. "Glimmer, stop! We can ... we can ... we can go somewhere else! I'm sure there's somewhere else. Please?"

Glimmeringpearl

She turned around, her face gone savage, as if some delicate fiber in her snapped. Though, in the face of Reevahn's fear, her rage melted and she released the worm shell to fall into the dark coral caverns. The hardness in her face softened and she sighed. "Yes. That is best. It wouldn't be worth getting the items if I died in the process...." She began swimming back toward her friend before she looked behind her to note the shark that had spotted her began to close in on them.

Haze

She felt a flood of warmth at the mermaid's acceptance of her protests and started swimming back towards her. Reevahn turned on her fin, and began swimming back to the surface, well and truly ready to get as far away from the wreck as she could.

Looking over her shoulder however, she saw the shadow of the creature coming closer and closer to Glimmer. "Swim FASTER" She yelled, turning back to grab Glimmer's wrist and tug her along. "Come on you stupid thing!" Reevahn set her gaze ahead, seeing a underwater cliff to their right. There might be a crevice they could climb in to, and hide out in for a while at least. As frightened as she was, the siren let out a string of abusive comments directed at her companion.

"This is all your fault! Stupid, stupid! All for a stupid little piece of jewellery. Damn vain creature! So caught up in looking pretty, you'd risk your life. Why are you so dumb! Ugh!"

Glimmeringpearl

The shark was far too close and with the hinderance of Glimmer's slow reactive time, she minimized the time. It was then, during that judgement call that she tugged her wrist back. She faced the beast with a mighty fury and with that, jabbed her finger into the eye of the loathsome creature. If sharks could roar in anguish, that was certainly what its body language projected. It was now in far too much pain to try biting her, much less being able to see her.

The mermaid then pushed, pushing the gruesome eye deeper into the skull until the shark was no longer attacking but writhing in pain. She finally retracted her hand and began to swim. "Hurry." She said simply. She had given them a window of time. But sharks weren't strong seers. They were strong smellers. However, she'd given them enough time to move back to shore.

Haze

Glimmer's act of stupidity laced bravado went on to further enrage the siren. She let out a frustrated shriek, and swam ahead, not wanting to wait and see if the ridiculous mermaid was about to be eaten. Reevahn felt absolutely nothing for this other creature, expect for a strong dis-like for the fact that she was more reckless than Reevahn had ever thought possible.

Sure, Reevahn put herself at risk every time she went on shore, and mingled with the mainlanders, but she always had her song, her magic to fall back on when - if - things got ugly. Which they hardly ever did, since Reevahn was such the beguiling little creature.

So now, this situation just had her livid. She'd told Glimmer she didn't like sharks, had said a number of times that she just wanted to get away, and what did the bubblehead do? SHE WAITED TILL THE ANIMAL WAS CLOSE ENOUGH TO EAT HER!

Poor Reevahn's nerves were shot as she heard Glimmer coming up behind her. "You don't have to tell me that," she snapped, hissing and then pulling together a strong jet of water to cut through the ocean and ping Glimmer in the center of her head. "YOU ARE STUPID!" She yelled again, looking close to tears. "You don't just go up to a WHOLE BEVY OF SHARKS, WITH A SHELL FOR A KNIFE." There was no calming her down, and with one final disgusted look at the mermaid, she flicked her tail as hard as she could, making a beeline for the cave she'd been heading for.

Glimmeringpearl

Glimmer gave chase, her posture and expression giving way to her confusion. She had absolutely no idea what happened. Her people had slain sharks for years, or befriended them, or tamed them (mostly the latter-most.) To see Reevahn's phobia of sharks was not only confusing, but extremely irrational and quite frankly, over the top. If she had gone into the horde, she'd have come out winner and she knew that for certain. If she had enough time without Reevahn freaking out, she'd have tamed the beast herself. Instead, he would be food for his brethren with his impaired vision and open bloody wounds would soon send them all into a frenzy. Luckily, the bloody washed quickly from Glimmer in the fray. "I don't understand why you're so terrified of these harmless beasts, you are much quicker than they are." She said, checking herself for wounds.

Haze

Reevahn could feel herself coming undone. There was a shaking in her body that she'd never experienced before. It rippled through her, pulling muscles tight, coiling them like springs ready to be snapped. She turned on Glimmer abruptly, with eyes flashing like lightning above the surface. She was beyond angry. She didn't care that Glimmer thought that her fear was irrational. She was allowed to have a fear, and this was hers.

The siren had never once been forced to the point of breaking. In a split second she had transformed into a fearsome creature, mouth pulled back to bare her teeth and snarling. "You may risk your own life, mermaid. But never put someone else's in danger for want of showing off. I don't care of you stay jewel-less for the rest of your sorry life. I may have been faster than that shark but I would rather not find out. If you think you're so clever, then why don't you go down there by yourself!"

Glimmeringpearl

Glimmer's eyes flashed hurt in an instant, her shell of bravado shattered at the beast she had become. She wasn't afraid of sharks, who she could tame, she feared instead this being. These things that were much more powerful than she was what she had fear of. Her first friend and already she was enraged with her.

Glimmer's hands came to the aid of her chest, as if Reevahn's words had struck a hole there. And only one thought remained, flee. And instantaneously she obeyed, turning over into the water and swimming away. She should have obeyed her elders, who taught her this creature from the inside out. It was a ploy and must have been so. Into the depths she swam, into the trench where the sun no longer caught her bright form. And there, nestled into a small burrow she hid.

Haze

The siren sensed a shift in emotion, as if in her heightened state of anger and frustration everything else was amplified. Her eyes narrowed at Glimmer as the mermaid turned tail, and sped off into the depths. It was as if the shroud that suddenly ensconced her slipped, and left her shaking with surprise and shock. Reevahn hung her head, slightly ashamed at the way she had acted so suddenly, but did not follow.

Perhaps it would be best if I just carry on. Stupid mermaid. Make a note not to approach one again, she thought as she slowly turned herself and began heading for the shoreline, being wary as ever to steer clear of the sharks. She was sorry that she had reacted so poorly, but in her own mind it was justified, and she'd just chalk it up to experience. Maybe the mermaids have a good reason to fear us. Maybe we are just as ferocious as their stories tell. Or maybe it's just because they're so... so ... ugh.