Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Question about Familiars...

Started by AnnieInsight, June 28, 2012, 01:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnieInsight

Hi!  I'm in the process of writing up my first character for SotE.  Yay!  She's an elfish human, she's in Serendipity...that's basically all I know for right now...  
Question.  I would like her to have a Familiar.  Namely, a ferret.  Y'know, like Dustfinger had his little pet in the first of the InkWorld trilogy.  Is that cool, or shouldn't I bank on it?  This little guy will be with my character at all times, and as ferrets go...he's very attention defecit.  *laugh*  Oooh, shiny!  It'll be fun for me, if you guys say it's okay.  Yay?  I think so.  *nods*

tekraa

Having a pet and having a familiar would be two entirely different things.  As this is a fantasy-medieval game you should take into consideration your perspective on magic and how it works to have attached your character to such a creature.  What are the pros and cons, what are the social consequences, what effect does such a relationship have on your character, how did your character acquire such a creature and the bond of familiarity.

It's all very open ended but the more detailed, and in depth you can be in preparation, the easier it will be to to immerse yourself and your character in the game, little details like these will also make your character more interesting to other people.   When drawing influence from authors and books you have read it is always a good idea to try to put your own twist on things.

AnnieInsight

Hmmm.  Lots to think about here.  It's so much fun!  *giggle*  I think my character will have this ferret as her pet, not her Familiar.  That way she can seem as ordinary as she needs to be...and as magical as she oughta be in certain circumstances.  Yay!  Thanks for the answer...

tekraa