Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Empty Bellies Make Poor Choices [Zane]

Started by GoblinFae, July 09, 2012, 02:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinFae

On sore and tired feet, she stalked her easily spotted prey. A white tail wagged like a lamb's over a heart-shaped rump as if to tease the hunter into hasty action. Carefully, she eyed where each foot would fall before gently sinking it into dry earth. One false move, one broken twig or crackle of dry leaves would lose her the meal she desperately needed.

Winter was coming and food had been scarce. Hunters had encroached on her territory, claiming and scaring away all the game. 'Humans,' she seethed even has stomach rumbled in protest. Dropping down she curled in or herself, praying the beast had not heard.

His heavy head raised, ears swinging back and forth before settling back to graze. Ariel readied her bow. This was one shot she could not afford to miss. The meat of this deer would feed her for a while if she was careful. His white hide alone would be more precious than anything come winter. Camouflage in the snow and warmth against the win. This kill would be hers.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Zane

Zane was walking through the heavily forested area, enjoying how it was getting colder but glad that he had his warm cowl. Also enjoying the calm of nature around him. It reminded him of the forest that he called home for two centuries. That forest is behind me now, but I'm sure to return one day.

After a little while he realized that there was another magic creature in this forest. A White Stag calls this place home. I wonder what else is here. Concentrating, he was able to pick out the individual creatures living here. The squirrels, the hibernating bears, the assorted deer and rare moose.

While reading the signs of life in the forest he was able to pick out that there was a hunter. A hunter and a White Stag in close proximity of each other. This can't be good.  Zane started running through the forest, other creatures not even noticing as he silently sped through the forest.

As he was running his tail slipped out from under his cowl. getting closer and closer he finally cam within the area of the hunter and the stag. pulling his bow off of his back, he notched and drew an arrow. When the hunter fires I will take out her arrow with mine I pray to god I don't miss it could mean the end of us all

GoblinFae

Unaware of newcomer, Ariel raised her bow and pulled the string taut. With a loud snap that should have sent the arrow loose the makeshift string broke in two and recoiled into her face. Startled, the stag trumpeted his fear and displeasure before bounding off on strong legs.

Cursing, the young huntress took off after him. The time for stealth was over and her belly was still empty. Unknowingly, she passed by the hiding place of the other. Hunger drove her on foolishly, She did not even bother to take the time to mind her surroundings as she crashed through the foliage, knife in hand.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Zane

That was luck, the string snapped as she drew. Taking off after the huntress and the stag. Don't let her catch up to the stag that could mean the end of us all. zane was starting to catch up to the huntress getting closer and closer. It's only a matter of time before she notices me.

GoblinFae

But, still she did not notice. Her intent was on food. Like a wild thing, it was all she could focus on. Her less sensitive human sense did nothing to aid her both in her pursuit of her prey and in warning her of her tailing shadow.

A thin arm raised the knife high even as she kept on running, ignoring how rock and root tore at her bare feet. 'Food! Dinner! Fresh meat! Stupid Humans! Warmth. I must!'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

Zane was going full sprint now, ignoring the need for silence as the huntress was gaining on the stag. She seemed to be ignoring the pain in her now bleeding feet. She is hunger crazed, I might be able to reach her using one of my abilities. Summoning the power he used to talk to feral animals he shouted in the forgotten tongue. "If you kill that stag we all die."

GoblinFae

Startled and frightened by the foreign voice, Ariel dropped to the ground and rolled. Wide eyes darted about, searching for what had made the sound and once they found it, her mouth opened to snarl. In defense, she crouched low to the ground, her weapon clutched tightly, to offer her protection should she need it.

Taking a step forward the huntress let forth another growl. This was her territory, whatever this thing was, he did not belong here. She had not understood his words but her body had still understood the command to stop of its own accord. It both terrified and confused her. "Mine!" Ariel forcefully declared even as her eyes sought out the disappearing hindquarters of her prey.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

Thank the gods, she stopped. But she is acting like a cornered animal. I will have to use caution. Laying his voice thick with power, "I mean you no harm, if you are hungry, I have food. If you are cold, I can provide warmth. But you must stay away from the stag. Zane stepped within the line of sight of the woman. He then laid his bow and quiver on the ground and kept his arms up, as to show he was harmless. "If you trust me I can help you." with that he knelt and bowed his head. There was enough distance between them that if she attacked, he could defend himself.

GoblinFae

Ariel watched the figure approach, putting down its weapon and pretending to surrender. What interested her though was the tail that moved behind him. 'Fox! Wolf! Liar, traitor, encroacher! This is MY territory!' She hissed at him again and pressed low to the earth.

Even her breath stilled as she waited for any threatening move. A long, painful rumble from her midsection though would not let her forget the price she had paid for this man's intrusion. Now it was his turn. Springing effortlessly, Ariel made a lunge, intent in tearing his throat out. He would now pay for her attention.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

Great, now she wants to eat me. Zane waited until she got very close. Then he grabbed her wrist, rolled onto back, placed his feet on her midsection, then launched him behind her.

Zane was on his feet in an instant. He reached into his bag and pulled out a piece of dried rabbit meat. He held it out as she got to her feet, "for you." Zane pointed at the meat then at her. Then again as he waited for her next move.

GoblinFae

The young huntress scoffed and wrinkled her nose in disapproval. "You scared away what was rightfully mine and now you dare dangle rotten meat at like I am some dog! How stupid do you think me to be? Leave! This is my hunting grounds! Go!"

She stomped her foot in anger, inadvertently taking a step forward. There was not a bone of trust in her for this stranger. 'How dare he! her mind railed. 'Comes here, scares off my game and already has food of his own. Probably poisoned so he can have the fresh meat all to himself. Such a human!'

"I said go!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

"Alright, okay, I'll go. I truly meant you no harm" picking up his bow and quiver, he slung them across his back, "about 150 paces behind you, you will find a grazing buck, about the same size as the stag. Don't believe me? Look down. You're standing on it's tracks. But you will need something to shoot it with, you could use my bow if you wish." Zane had no idea how she would react to that bit of information. But it was the least he could do. He had scared off the stag, even if it was for the greater good, and she was obviously hungry. Zane turned and slowly started to walk away, hoping that she would inspect the tracks before he got to far.

GoblinFae

Ariel was having none of it. Everything this stranger had pointed out to her only served to further infuriate her. 'Tracks. A bow. As if I am some helpless infant who doesn't know what she's doing! The nerve! I'm not going to put up with this, am I? Of course not!'

"Hey!" Quick feet directed her to stand directly in the taller man's path. "Just who do you think you are? You come in here like you are some savior. I don't need you and your stupid help! What do you want from me? Why are you here? Huh!"

Small she may be but, the young woman was making up for it in fire. She screamed and shouted, scaring off any chance of a meal as she gesticulated wildly and even poked him in the chest a few times. Ariel was quickly working herself up into a frenzy and as of now the stranger was the only one in her path of destruction.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

Zane looked back at the huntress. Keeping his voice calm and his tone low, "The only reason I bothered you is because you were hunting the white stag. The white stag is and ancient being that houses a demon, if you kill it you release the demon" She is going to think I'm crazy, but it doesn't matter now. "I pointed out the buck as a way to compensate you for the loss of the stag, trying to be nice. Everything I have done since we had that unfaithful encounter has been an attempt to help you."

GoblinFae

She grumbled and growled deep within her throat. Everything from his calmness to his odd looks served to drag her deeper into her boiling fury. "How can you stand there and spout such nonsense? Do you take me for a fool? A child perhaps? They are nothing but stories! A demon? Grow up! I'm not going to let you pull the wool over my eyes! I'm not like those other humans. I'm not some worthless creature to be mystified by the likes of you! How can you claim to help me when all you have done is destroy my peace and steal my meal from me? What cause do you even have to do such things? What-urg!"

Ariel screeched angrily and stomped her feet. She was hungry and tired. Winter was coming soon and she did not have in close to enough food to survive the next few months let alone the week. This hunger that festered within her belly made her rash and bold. Where she should have fled from this creature she instead stood up and screamed at him. Where she should have cowered away she threw jabs and hurled fiery words.

"This is all your fault!" she finally ended, pouting and staring down at the ground in disgust. 'Still a child after all.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

"I can prove that I am not lying." Looking to his left, he saw the white stag. It was watching, ever patient. Zane mustered the power from his gut, "come, white demon." The stag slowly approached, weary of the huntress, trusting of the man with the voice of power.

"When you kill a white stag it releases a demon, but if you catch one you can make a wish, which will always come true." Zane placed a hand on the stag's horn then looked it in the eyes. "Winter camouflage, if you would be so kind."

It took a few seconds, then a grey and white molted cloak formed across his arm, which he held out to the huntress, "now it's your turn, grab the horn, look into it's eyes, and make a wish."

GoblinFae

Ariel took the cloak from him, her mouth open in awe. It was as soft as she had expected the stag's coat to be and seemed to be just as versatile. 'Unbelievable! It's just like magic, it's-magic doesn't exist. He's done it to you Owlet. He pulled the wool miles thick of your eyes you foolish little girl. You really are nothing more than a scared brat. Look at you! Despicable!'

For a moment she found herself reaching forward to do as the unnamed man had suggested but then just as quick she snatched her hand back down to her side as if burned. Her eyes squeezed shut, locking in the tears that threatened to overflow. "I do not believe in wishes and fairy tales. Take your sorcery back." The coat was shoved back into his hands as she scuttled back.

She wanted to run further but her feet were glued by fear to the spot. It was all so unreal, so wrong in her mind. Those of the wild did not come when called or grant wishes and offer winter coats. Strange men did not come out of nowhere and offer kindness without expecting things in return, nor did demons exist in this world. Ariel had an image of her past and shuddered. Well, some demons existed but certainly not the kind that this stranger was trying to suggest.

Her heart beat within her chest like a drum, seemingly ready to burst right out of its fleshy cage. "Why can't you just go? Why must you show off your little tricks? You want to eat? Fine, go hunt, do whatever you want just leave me alone. I never did anything to you. I don't even know you. Just leave me alone. Please, that's all I'm asking. Just go," she hiccuped, very close to crying.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

Zane was sad that she didn't accept his kindness, if it was her wish for him to leave then he would leave. "Fine, I'll go" Zane turned and started to leave. The stag, unsure of what to do, followed him. He walked on in silence, until he was out of sight. then he turned to the stag, "I have one final wish if you will permit me, my friend" the stag nodded. Zane grabbed it's horns and looked into it's eyes, "I wish the huntress will have plentiful game from today until the end of winter" again the stag nodded. Then Zane went back to walking

GoblinFae

Autumn had turned into winter and the bitter cold now froze every inch of the forest, coating tree and shrub alike in its frozen white fluff. Ever since that strange creature had left, Ariel's hunting grounds had been filled with prey. It was as if it was springtime all over again and the beasts were just awakening from their hibernation dens.

She dared not question her good fortune as the winter was just as harsh as she had predicted. Her bounties though were what was keeping her alive now. Her belly was full and her bed of furs, warm. The huntress took great care to ensure that her supplies did not run out. She was cautious enough to fear her luck to disappear just as quickly as it had appeared.

Today for example she was down by the frozen stream, working to break the ice in order to collect fresh water and possibly a sleeping fish. Her traps had been full as of late but the meat they yielded could be preserved and saved for when the traps failed to catch prey. Fish were harder to find and best eaten sooner than later. Ariel was saving the trap catches for the blizzard the sky proclaimed was coming. Fish would sustain her for now.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

Zane was following a partially frozen stream, it was a bit big to be a stream but not big enough to be a river. He was wearing the winter camouflage that the huntress had turned down. I wonder how she is doing, it has been a pretty harsh winter so far. Then he realized what he was thinking about, "You're here to check on the stag. Besides, she made it clear that she didn't want to see you again." Zane had been worried about the huntress since he left, he had left her with a broken bow and she seemed to be quite hungry.

He was so caught up in his thoughts that he didn't realize that he was walking up to where the huntress was gathering water. He realized that his throat was getting dry so he knelt next to the river, pulled out an arrow and quietly but efficiently broke up the thin ice. When he had drank his fill he looked up and saw the huntress, "um. Hi."