Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Harvest Moon (closed)

Started by Lion, October 31, 2012, 12:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Cold wind snapped the rope of a caravaner's tent blowing up the canvas, leaving the man to flail for the flying cloth before the gust blew anything else away.  He watched as men, bundled from the snow, rushed to help pin the canvas down.  It was quite a struggle to witness, and just as amusing.  In the same turn, however, a snapped rope could possibly mean the difference between life and death in this land of bitter cold.  They were far from Hyoite, as he'd come to learn the village to be called, and on their way to another settlement deep in the frozen landscape, buried possibly under wind and snow he'd imagined.  He'd never seen so much white in all his life, it was almost as if this was the edge of the earth surely.  He turned his eyes back as the caravaners successfully drove the stake into the ground that held the loosened rope.  Another family would survive the brutal wind tonight.

Theon vaguely recalled how he'd come to venture this far, or why he had.  It rarely mattered anymore, the direction his dreams had taken him, since after all this time of searching he'd come across nothing that would give him some kind of sign, some kind of direction as to why he came here, the key to his memories.  But there was nothing, he was left with nothing.  Just a sword the glimmered like soft moonlight in the darkening sky and a crow that had burrowed himself in the warmth of his borrowed tent, to help him on a futile search for something that seemed as intangible as the wind.

Strange was this land, open and broad, but he was oddly eager to venture into this unknown landscape, no longer caring as much to find what the future held for him, for it was a terrifying thing that he wanted nothing to do with. And yet...he did not have a choice anyway.  For before his mind flashed the shifting visions of unshakeable omens, or petulant hopes, broken dreams, of things he didn't understand and people he'd never met...perhaps only to meet them at their moment of doom. 

But he'd been lucky.  It had been many months since his last vision and he'd finally come to learn what it was to sleep, truly and deeply.  He'd met these caravaners passing through the valley and he'd paid his fare to travel with them, more for the company than because he was headed in their direction.  He didn't know this land as well as they did.  He spoke sparingly and only when necessary for they asked the expected pressing questions that he could only answer with nods and vague explanations that explained nothing at all.

Theon crawled in the small canvas provided to him.  His managed to evade the wind much better than the others since it was lower to the ground.  He heard it rustle lightly against the material as he knotted the entrance shut and laid across on a mat, closing his eyes.  It did not take him long to drift away into the bliss of nothingness that his sleep had become.

Nothingness.  Then white.  White snow.  The valley.  An open, broad, expanse of near emptiness.  No sign of life in sight, not a creature, not a cry nor a howl.  The air was light, blowing soft gusts of snow, swirling in small tornadoes.  But something was wrong...there was suddenly red on white and screams in the air; the sounds of wholesale massacre.  The sounds got louder, the cries of men as they tried to run for safey, for their lives, and it sent chills down his spine as Theon tossed in his sleep, unable to wake.  Men ran, only to be cut down by something unseen, large gashes splayed across backs and faces and chests, painting the snow with their life's blood.

His stomach turned with what came before his eyes.  Theon waited, holding his breath when the air abruptly became silent.  He listened, waiting to hear something, a moan of pain, someone calling for aid.  Just nothing.  Not even the crunch of snow signaling departure.  Even the air became still.

Theon awoke from the dream, his skin suddenly warm despite the cold.  The crow jumped and ruffled his feathers at the sudden start and looked at him with alarmed glossy eyes.  Theon leaned up on his elbows, and wrapped the cloak he'd been using for a blanket around his shoulders.  His heart was pounding hard in his chest as he prayed hope against hope for it to be a dream.  Nothing more than a dream.  But the cold stone in his stomach told him he knew otherwise.  He never dreamed.  Theon twisted around in that tight space, clutching the hilt of Lohengrin at his side, shaking hand reaching to part the opening of the tent.  He held his breath for a moment too long before rushing out into the snow.  An arm reached out to shield his eyes from the blasting snow around him, blowing hard to blind his sight, cloak ripping high against the wind.  Though it was difficult to see, he could see the dream was not a dream.  The vision was real.

The caravaners were dead.  All of them.  Their bodies lain in the snow.  He rushed into the blazing white, peering all around him.  His body was numb to the cold as his heart beat faster in his horror.  What had done this?  Who!?  He found no tracks in the snow, neither that of an animal nor a man.  But suddenly as he turned, he saw the shape of something in the distance, drifting away, leaving no trace of passage but the slaughter in its wake.  He pursued it, screaming, "Stop!" at the top of his lungs, but it vanished into the darkness.

Theon turned back to the circle of broken tents, of the hideous display before him, stepping back toward the scene.  He knelt down beside one of the victims, carefully rolling the middle-aged man over.  The claw marks on his body were large and wide spread, and uneven in many places.  He didn't suffer for long.  Theon searched the nearby area for animal tracks, but found nothing of the sort.  The only disturbed snow was where they came in to make camp and where he ran in pursuit.

It was obvious that whatever had done this was clearly neither man nor an animal.  Theon fell to his knees amidst the snow, trying to control his turning stomach, trying understand what just happened...and why he'd been spared.

[closed due to inactivity]

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Kesra

Tasri wasn't entirely sure how this became such a great idea. It had been a simple thing to request leave. She was curious about the outside world and wanted to see what it was like. Her superiors were wary of such a request but decided it would be best to let her get this out of her system. So for a little while she was allowed to travel a bit.  It wasn't as though she would be able to let herself get corrupted by the influence of magic in the rest of the world anyways.

Her first bit of curiosity happened to be the tundras. She had seen snow before of course but never quite like the stories of Hyoite. She was told that at night, there was so much snow that it reflected the light making it almost as bright as day. It was this that had her out here in the night like this far from civilization.

Not her brightest move but she would deal with kicking herself for it later. The wind ripped at her armored form, ripping her hair from it's braid and leaving it trailing behind her in the wind. Ahead she could see a camp fire. It was still quite a distance before she would be able to get to this camp however.

She was not entirely prepared for what she saw. There were bodies everywhere and the splatter of blood across the snow. She drew her sword and very cautiously approached. Looking around, she stopped when seeing a man on his knees in the massacre. Taking a deep breath she approached him. There were many things that could have happened her. She could only hope that this man using magic wasn't at the center of them.

"You there!" She called as she slowly approached. "What happened here?"

Lion

Blood coursed through him, his heart beat desperately.  There was only a fleeting sorrow to be had here.  Though he did not know these people, he'd seen it happen, a flashing reality now in the midst of what could have been hours or a few moments.  Was he the omen of some sort?  If he hadn't been here, would these people have lived?  Why had the entity chosen not to kill him?  The futility of life, so fragile, a barebones existence that was so easily snatched away; what purpose did he have to be spared instead of destroyed like all the others.

Anger replaced sorrow, and he leaned against Lohengrin as he held the sword in the ground.  He did not hear the approach of the stranger, nor did he see her in the snow.  The wind was still quite tempestuous, billowing itself in sharp cold particles that made it too blinding to see properly.  Theon jumped when he heard her voice though, his adrenaline making him leap to the ready.  But as he jumped to his feet, drawing his sword, he stumbled backwards falling on his rear and over the body beside him.

"Get...get away from here!" he yelled.  "I'll kill you if you come near me. I swear I will.  Don't come any closer."  Whether for good or ill, he did not know nor did he care, but even if she wasn't the one that did this, there was just as much chance she could think he did and possibly attack him.

"I said get away!" he cried again, finally regaining his footing, holding his sword in both hands, breathing hard.  "I think you can see very plainly what happened here.  You're not blind, are you?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Kesra

Tasri's hair whipped across her face covered in snow. Her white tabbard pulled against the strings that tied it down on either side of her. The armor wasn't making this cold air any friendlier and eventually she would need to get out of this all together if she could find a way to. She'd never been this cold before.

She kept her attention away from the bodies around them. They were all already covered in a thin layer of snow anyways. She watched the man so defensively jump to his feet and lowered the tip of her sword to the ground as she watched him through slit eyes. He wasn't exactly improving his case here, threatening a stranger. But then again he could simply be frightened by what had happened here.

She dearly hoped he wasn't responsible for this.

"I see the effects of the events that took place here but I do not presently see it's cause or reason. What I do see is a frightened man with a bladed weapon who could very well be virtually anything. What I do hope is that he isn't the cause of this. There is a monster that must be put down for these crimes and I hope that it is not you."

Lion

He was taken aback by her words, but really how could she have known that he was not responsible for this.  "How could I, a lone man, have been capable of this kind of slaughter?  Don't you think one of them would thrown me down and stopped me?  Why would I do this?  There is nothing to be gained here from these caravaners."

But really as he gazed down at himself, he knew he couldn't have made a worse case against him, covered in blood that was quickly freezing into reddened icicles on his cuirass.

"I don't know what happened," he admitted, though he did not put down his sword.  "I don't know what it was.  I was sleeping, I was dreaming.  Of this.  And when I woke up, it—it happened!  I saw something in the snow, a large shape but it didn't walk like you or me.  I ran after it, I yelled for it to stop, but I wasn't fast enough and it disappeared into the wind.  I don't understand, it killed everyone so quickly, not even a chance for anyone to react in defense.  I don't know how it could have managed such slaughter with such speed and ferocity and not a single man alive.  Save myself. 

"Look, I wouldn't kill these people.  I didn't!  But I saw it happen in my mind, just flashes of things, but that was all I needed to see.  Men screamed, tried to run but they didn't get far before they were slashed across their chests, throats ripped out, limbs torn as if they were pieces of string!  You've got to believe me."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Kesra

The facts were stacking against him. She listened to his story letting her arm holding her sword relaxed. The wind didn't seem to be interested in dying down any time soon. If it wasn't him, then whatever had done this was far away. Trying to go after it tonight would be suicide. Anything able to move in weather like this was likely to be far better prepared to survive in the cold than either of them.

Then there was a more chilling possibility. That the man had indeed done it. The flashes made her cautious after all. Either it was some sort of premonition or simply memories from what he had seen. If he is the monster that did this, he may not even be aware of this fact. But she couldn't punish him for something she was uncertain of.

"Then there is only one thing to do. You are to remain in my presence. There is little we can do tonight so I suggest we take shelter. We will work to track down this beast in the morning."

Lion

It didn't occur to him until moments after that surely his words made him out to be a madman.  He couldn't tell what she was thinking by the expression on her face, that he could barely make out across the way.  Nonetheless, whoever she was, wherever she came from, good sense told him that there was not much of a chance that she would believe him.

Perhaps that was just a fleeting doubt inside himself however.  Could he have been the one to kill all these people?  Could he have simply forgotton?  He was starting to doubt his sanity, but in the midst of his present setting, that was not unusual.  Theon shook himself out of it though, and focused on the moment.  When the woman relaxed her blade, Theon too found the courage in himself to do likewise, but his grip failed to relax.

"We?  Why would you help me?  Look at these bodies, your fate would surely be certain death.  You should go now, run while you still have the chance before this creature...whatever it is...comes for you as well.  I don't think you could truly stand a chance."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Kesra

"I can hold my own. Besides, spending too much more time out in the wilderness I would probably not fare much better. Magic has difficulty working in my presence. It must be a creature that makes use of it if it is able to kill so many so quickly. Besides, if was you and it requires some form of transformation, that may not work around me either." Tasri walked closer, sheathing her sword.

"And if you are innocent, I have a responsibility to keep you safe from whatever may come. So that is enough of your objections. We must set up a camp for ourselves. In the morning we shall bury the dead and then find out what did this to them."

Lion

She carried herself with an authority she seemed to think spread into this frozen hell.  Theon stood straight and looked her square in the eye, finding the calm amidst the storm of his mind.  She was either extremely pretentious or extremely foolish, both of which could wind up getting them killed.  He lowered Lohengrin and sheathed his sword.  As he did so, the wind seemed to calm just a bit and billowed the cloak on his shoulders into a gentle drape.

He walked closer to her, watching her closely.  "I won't stop you if this is your intent.  But you are not my keeper and I can defend myself.  I don't know where you are from to make you think this is your responsibility.  But the tent that I stayed in is not far from here.  Follow me."

Theon slowly led her to the small canvas he had borrowed, the only one not smashed or torn through.  He retraced his steps through the snow, where he had run through chasing the shape in the distance.  There was no need to make more of a disruption of the scene.  The structure was built low to the ground, resisting the wind.  He got down on one knee and pulled back the opening flap.  As he did so, the hooded crow inside jumped up and scooted backwards, cawing as if rudely intruded upon.

"Is this the one who did it?" Jouzan said, looking at her with speculative, suspicious, beady eyes, ruffling his feathers.  "Who are you?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zenbomb

It would have been wise to make camp at some point. It had been bad enough out here when the sun was up, but nightfall was brutal. The heavy furs kept the wind from cutting Satara's skin, but the creeping chill they had barely held back during the day was relentless at night. If he stopped now, he might just freeze before he could take shelter; he knew from experience that pitching a tent in the dark was time consuming at best.

An Essyrni in the tundra. Satara knew a few jokes that began that way, the most memorable ending with a hapless desert dweller rooted to the snow by a shaft of his own frozen piss. Thankfully, that one had turned out not to be based on actual events. There were so many reasons not to be here, so many destinations he could have chosen with livable climates, but they all had the same problem. Polite society always seemed to catch up to him, so his only option was to go where polite society never dared to tread.

The trappers with whom Satara had traded for his furs had certainly found his presence amusing. He imagined most of their experience with Essyrni came in the form of hearsay, and the same jokes Satara was repeating to himself to keep his mind off of the cold. Their amusement had turned to dire warnings when they learned where he was headed. Open tundra, he was told, was no place for travellers. He was assured that he would find nothing but loneliness and a cold death in the snow. Any other man might heed the warnings, but Satara had assured them that death was no stranger, and loneliness was exactly what he was looking for. That may have been a mistake.

He was seriously considering digging himself a hole in the snow to huddle in until morning. The trappers had helpfully informed him that, cold as it was on its own, a thick layer of snow would insulate him against the deeper chill of the air. He was almost ready to pick a drift and start digging when the frozen wind brought an unexpected odour. He knew the scent, had been exposed to it countless times in his less-than-quiet life. Blood and fear; the smell of a violent death. It must be quite fresh; things froze too fast out here to leave lingering traces. The wind was blowing from the West, the source of the odour must be close.

It wasn't prudent to seek it out; Satara was cold, and tired, if he stumbled on a scene of ongoing violence, he might not be prepared to deal with the consequences. After hours of walking, it was impossible to resist the prospect of something other than oppressive cold and a featureless white horizon. The blood he smelled must already have frozen over; the scent was gone. Regardless, following little more than a hunch, Satara turned west and continued trudging.

Kesra

Tasri met his gaze without flinching. A hand came up to push her bangs from her eyes.

"If this event did not traumatize you at least a little, then I would be concerned for your sense of humanity." Tasri explained, her voice remaining even and calm. "I am blessed with having not been here to witness this. For the time being, it would not make you weak to simply allow someone else to take charge while you gather your thoughts."

She followed him through the came making certain to walk exactly in his footsteps. Where ever they were going, she would be more than relieved to get out of this weather in the very least. The fur lined clothing underneath the armor wasn't nearly enough to keep her warm. The metal wasn't helping.

She followed him in to the low shelter, removing her helmet as she entered. Her eyes stuck on the talking crow. She raised an eyebrow.

"I am Tasri. I am not responsible for what happened out there. What manner of creature are you?"

Lion

Jouzan cawed, ruffling his feather's pleasantly and beaded Theon.  "I like her all ready," he said, waddling towards the strange woman.  There was something a little off about her but the crow did not feel threatened in the least.  "You come to help?" the bird asked, evading her question for a moment.  "We could use your help.  Theon cannot fight it alone."

Theon glared at the bird, but was still shaken enough to know well that he ought to hold his tongue.  The bird went on: "I am Jouzan, Crow.  This is Theon Arand, though he should know better than to have an ave introduce him to a stranger.  I--"  Jouzan stopped, waddling out towards the snow.  Theon felt it too, waiting and listening.  "A stranger approaches," Jouzan whispered.

Theon felt for his sword again, nerves having calmed much in the past few moments and turned to look over Tasri's shoulder, seeing a figure, thankfully two-legged, approaching through the snow.  He put a hand on her shoulder, nudging her to look as well.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zenbomb

A subtle approach really wasn't an option. Nevermind the fact that, even in the dark, Satara stood out quite clearly against the snow. Everything was so damned flat here, just like the desert. As soon as he saw the encampment, there was no doubt they would see him. Or would have, if there was anyone to see him. Satara saw no movement, no signs of life. Wait.

Someone was walking around there, probably hidden by a tent before. There should be more, there were enough tents there for a trading party. Satara might have believed that everyone had bunked down against the cold, if he wasn't certain of what he had smelled. If it had been a smell, and not another of his damned hunches. If something had happened here, whoever was responsible couldn't have gone far, and could be walking around in Satara's line of sight right now.

Nothing for it, he was sure he had been spotted by now. He kept a hand on the hilt of one of his blades as he approached; there was no point in feigning trust. If this was going to come to violence, Satara would handle it. He could hope all he wanted that he wouldn't have to fight in this stiffening cold, but there were only so many ways this could go.