Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Shadows and Dreams

Started by visualspice, December 17, 2012, 06:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

The sword hit the man's back and with a scream, he went down, toppling from his horse. His foot stuck, though, and his frightened horse dragged him for several yards before his foot popped free.

One of the men was still alive and mostly well, though; the man whose shoulder Emery had struck. Turning, Emery saw him riding back for the woods, one arm hanging limp, and with a shout, Emery nudged her horse into a gallop and tore off after him.

With a hard, sharp whack with the flat of her blade, she knocked him off his horse. He landed with an audible thud and a miserable groan.

Swinging down from her horse, Emery grabbed him by the hair and set her blade against his throat. "Who sent you?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

"As if I'd tell you!" the man retorted, spitting on her face. "May the new Grand Duke die as cowardly as the last!"

Zannrick hung back, watching as Emery pursued. He wasn't about to let the carriage go unguarded as he moved his horse uneasily about.
"Emery, report!" he barked out, curious as to what was going on. She should just kill the man, but then agian.. perhaps they ought to take him in for questioning.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Emery made a face when the man spit on her, but she ignored it and pressed the blade tighter against his skin, just shy of drawing blood.

"Maybe you won't tell me, but you will speak," she said, voice chillingly cold. The blade pressed deeper and drew tiny beads of blood. "And then you'll wish did tell me."

Zannrick's voice carried over the distance, and Emery looked up. "I'm unhurt," she called back, "and I'm taking this one prisoner!"

Slamming the man's head back down against the ground to disorient him, she yanked him roughly to his feet by the hair and dragged him along, blade still at his throat. "I'll need some rope."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Zannrick nodded, and after surveying the land, he removed some rope that was latched to the side of his saddle bag and pressed his horse forward and he was quickly at her side.
"Here, do you need any help binding him?" he asked, keeping his horse moving antsily as his eyes continued to stare off into the woods, in case any one else was foolish enough to try to attack the duke.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Sheathing her blade, Emery yanked the man's hands behind his back and nodded to Zannrick. "If you'd be so kind."

visualspice

Zannrick was quick to dismount his horse, knowing that the more time he spent off the horse, but himself, and all the rest, more vulnerable. (especially the duke). But they needed this man alive if they were to question who it was that assembled the attack and to get to the bottom of it. Who knows, it might even lead to who killed the former Grand Duke.
So he made haste, binding the man up quickly then gestured towards his horse.
"Here, let's load him on the back of my horse." ANd once the body was secured, he turned to Emery, then glanced back out towards the forests.

"Let's make haste to get him into the prison, and double haste in getting the duke home."

Rhindeer

As soon as the criminal was dealt with, Emery gave Zannrick a curt nod, mounted her horse, and pressed her heels into her sides to get her moving.

"I'll take the rear again," she offered, falling behind. "And hopefully this time we have no further interruptions."

Though perhaps, in an odd way, this attack had been fortunate? Unless it was a set-up designed to throw them off the real trail.

visualspice

Zannrick nodded at her words, saying nothing as his eyes swept out into the forests again, checking them one last time before taking the lead. The duke was taken home first, and once it was assured he was well and safe, he waited for the lesser mordecai to appear to remain nearby while he turned back to Emery as he approached his horse. He remounted and sighed, gripping the reigns tightly.

"I don't like this." he said, chewing on the inside of his mouth with a frown. "Perhaps one of us ought to stay with the duke while the other takes the man into questioning?" Though he couldn't say for certain why he was uneasy, he felt as if eyes were peering down at him, even as his eyes cleaved through the darkness, but found nothing. And the infernal rain finally had let up, it didn't matter at this point. Both he and Emery were thoroughly soaked to the bone.

Rhindeer

"No, that would be best," Emery said, though the part of her that just wanted to get warm and dry sighed at the thought. But duty and safety always came before selfish comforts, and she had signed away comfort the moment she had enlisted. Tonight was a dangerous one, and with one attack having already commenced, there was no telling what else was in store.

And perhaps that was hardly an attack, but more like the scouting ants sent out before the main invasion.

She trotted her horse forward until they were side by side with Zannrick. "I'll take the criminal," she offered, motioning for him to help transfer the man to her horse. "You protect the duke."

visualspice

Zannrick nodded, and gave her a firm look as he said, "Very well.  I shall see you back here for the night watch." ANd he actually afforded her a rare grin about that. They both knew very well they wouldn't be sleeping this night. So turning his horse around, he stayed diligently at the carriage's side, glancing back only once towards Emery before he and the duke disappeared down the street.

He had the stable hands tend to his horse, and that of the Duke's, while assisting him back to his room. It seemed the duke was as stoic as ever, but even someone like Zannrick could see his feathers were a little rustled. He had remained guard within his room, at the duke's order, as the duke ordered his servants to help him remove his cloak as he slipped into an entire that was more comfortable.
"I doubt I will be sleeping much this evening," Calent stated flatly as a servant worked a brush into his hair. "Reports will need to be filed on the incident. About that woman and... "he frowned. "About that attack that was so near to the city."

Zannrick remained near the door, hands clasped behind his back as he nodded.
"Understood, sir."
And it was only after the duke was finished preparing that he turned around. "Accompany me to the music room. You can stand on guard outside. And inform me when your partner has returned." Naturally, he meant Emery. Zannrick nodded, then followed the duke to his music room, his own eyes tracing around the area to ensure it was safe before he stood guard outside. His face was hardened, but his eyes were a mixture of emotions as he listened to Calent begin to play a solemn tune upon the piano, a song that reminded him of their hardships in the rain.

Rhindeer

It was several hours later before Emery returned, soaked, uncomfortable, and exhausted--and exhausted further by the knowledge that there would be no rest anytime soon. At least her horse would get a reprieve, she thought with a wry smile as she handed her horse off to the stable hands and headed inside.

A servant lead her to the music room, and she tromped her way over to Zannrick, boots squelching with her every step.

"The traitor's been dealt with," she told him, smoothing out her expression to hopefully smooth out the lines of fatigue, though her eyes felt scratchy and tired and her thighs were sore from so much riding. "Said he shouldn't be that tough a nut to crack. But they'll send news of their results when they get any."

Music drifted out of the room, haunting and melancholy, and Emery inclined an ear toward the sound. "How's he holding up?"

visualspice

Zannrick shrugged.
"He can't sleep. As usual. So he's keeping himself entertained." he gestured towards the music room,t hen looked away, staring through the wall, rather than at it.
"Not sure how long he'll keep this up, but from the sounds of it, we've got a long day ahead of us tomorrow." He sighed, his mind wandering back to her report. "I wonder if that attacker was associated with that woman from earlier. Either way, both threats were dealt with, and the duke is home." So he kept rigid, and at attention, even as his eyes appeared weary, and more grey then blue.

Rhindeer

"It seems rather convenient, doesn't it?" Emery said. "A strange, random encounter with an eccentric woman followed by a strange, random encounter with riders. The timing is too perfect. Of course, it could be sheer coincidence." She shrugged. "But I suppose we'll find out."

With a yawn, she stretched her arms over her head until her back popped, and she ran her hands through her short, wet hair. "Ah. I hate to be whiny, especially after everything today, but I would kill for dry clothes and a warm bed right about now." But despite the complaint, she stood at attention by the door, fighting against her shivers.

"At least the music is lovely," she added with a smile.

visualspice

Zannrick smirked at her words.
"I'd have to agree," he said, but gave a shrug, and remained an extension of Calent's hand. Then at the comment about the music, he listened to it carefully. It was beautiful, but a haunting song.
"Yes, he plays it often, ever since his father had been killed."
Then he grew quiet, continuing to stare at the wall. Duty was duty, after all, and Zannrick was as rigid and studious as ever.

Rhindeer

With that sad comment lingering in her mind, Emery fell into a silence as well, resigning herself to a long and sleepless vigil. Not that there was much time to go before morning dawned, for it had been long past midnight by the time they returned.

Thankfully, Emery was used to long watches as she stood on the side of the door opposite Zannrick and waited for morning.

It came at last, at first a subtle lightening before growing to a bright, golden glow all throughout the palace. It hurt her eyes--eyes which had seen no sleep and craved it terribly, and had puffy bags beneath them--and she blinked and yawned. She hadn't slept, but she had begun to zone out, falling into a sort of trance. Her clothes were dryer, though she hardly noticed; they still felt gross and stiff.

Rubbing her eyes, she looked over at Zannrick, squinting. "Morning already?"

visualspice

Zannrick gave a rigid nod, and though his face looked tired, his eyes did not. He kept them ever sharp, and gestured towards the room. "He still hasn't slept. I suppose we should inquire if he is ready for the day." And he moved to do so himself, knocking on the edge of the door before inquiring, "Duke Calent, the morning is here. Would you like us to escort you to your room?"

The duke had been tracing his fingers over the keys of his piano, playing a silent song within his head, but did not let his fingers press into the keys to make noise. So at first, he did not respond to Zannrick, simply played on silently until the last note was played. Then slowly he riased his head, peering over tiredly towards Zannrick before nodding.

"Then we shall escort you," the mordecai replied with a bow. He only cast one knowing gaze towards Emery before the pair of them followed Calent to his room. They were now stationed outside as his servants moved to help, and it was here Zanrick found himself sighing out of frustration.

"By Angsar's beard, this day will be long."

The night's worries were over, it was time for the pair of them to prepare for the day's festivities. Another pair of mordecai had approached,a nd Zannrick grit his teeth.Hed rather remain on a second shift here than accompany the duke. But his loyalties lay with Calent, and he would oblige.
Nodding, he informed the new watchmen of their duties, befre turning away sharply and gesturing with a simple look to Emery for her to follow. The two would need baths and sharp clothing if they were to accompany Calent for the entertainment tonight.

Blaith Harmond... ugh. More duke's. More time for political banter. At least it seemed this Blaith Harmond was amicable enough.
"Come, our bathing unit is just below." As if Emery's would need reminded they would share the same bath house. Mordecai were mordecai after all, and a soldier a soldier. Male and female partitions meant nothing to them, so after the pair would descend into the basement, and he, stepping into the dimly lit room of the bath house, he began to peel off his clothing without much thought, tossing them into a careless heap about the floor. There would only be so much time before the nosy servants would appear to take measurements and to fuss over their clothing, and Zannrick didn't waste a moment before slipping in the waters with a long sigh.

His muscles were as tense as he was, and the water worked as relief enough.

Rhindeer

As much as she was dreading the long day ahead, Emery was looking forward to the bath. The cold had seeped into her bones and she felt filthy, but not only that, but she was hopeful that maybe, just maybe, she'd be able to relax a bit in the tub. If she was lucky, she might get a little five minute doze...

With a sympathetic glance Zannrick's way, she followed him to the bath.

Like him, she didn't waste any time. She stripped off her clothes, tossed them aside, and slid into the water with a blissful sigh. Ansgar above, this felt wonderful. She didn't even care that against her cold skin, the water felt a bit too hot; her body adjusted to it, and the burn felt cleansing, soothing away aches she hadn't even know she had, because she'd grown used to them.

She dunked her head under the water to wet her hair and wash away the sweat, the resurfaced and leaned her head back against the tub's edge. "Mmm...how long do you think we have until we're whisked away again?" she murmured, eyes closed.

visualspice

THe bath waters were almost too good, and as Zannrick smoothed a hand down his face, he took a minute to take notice of the nude woman sharing his bath. His eyes idly traced over her form, naturally, when she was not looking. He was surprised to find himself staring. It wasn't like they hadn't shared a bath before, though it seemed this time he had almost forgotten she was a woman, though with a toned body, well worn and etched with scars. The scars on her body drew his eyes to her face, to where the puckering scar slashed across it. Scars aside, she was still a woman, with a strong prettieness about herand if he were like other men, he'd inquire about finding some 'release' with her. But he was all work and no play, and sighed irritably at that fact as he sunk his head back into the water.
When was the last time he had been with a woman? Far too long, and he had a stuck up his ass because of it. Angsar's balls,...
this day would be too long. But for now, the waters would suffice as he closed his eyes and tried imagining that he could sleep. They'd barely have an hour to themselves. A quick nap in the bath would be heavenly.

Rhindeer

When Zannrick didn't answer, Emery cracked her eyes open--then blinked water from her eyes and gave him a puzzled look.

Was he...staring at her?

It surprised her--not because she minded, but because the man was so rigid, and for a moment she just slyly watched him through hooded eyes. With a demanding job like theirs, with little downtime, and spending so much time around the same person, it was easy to forget about certain things that would be big details in any other setting. For example, she was so used to sharing baths with the opposite sex that the act didn't even carry a sexual component in her mind, and it was so normal to her that she hardly even noticed nudity. It wasn't really about being a woman naked with a man in those cases--it was just two soldiers getting clean.

So his staring was strange, more than anything, though not unpleasant.

It made her feel like a woman in a job that left her feeling stripped of femininity.

After a moment of subtle observation, she decided to come clean. Stretching, she leaned back and rested her elbows on the rim behind her and gave a slow, sly smile. "Like what you see?" she teased.

visualspice

Zannrick gave a snort at her question, though his cheeks burned lightly for her catching him stare.
"Gods almighty, this day has been so long that anything different is a nice change in pace," he muttered, sinking his face into his hands as he rested an elbow at the lip of the bath on the opposite end of the bath. THough he glanced over at her through his fingers, before sighing.
"What I'd like to see if a warm bed."
And Emery in it wouldn't be all that bad. He sighed the thought away but looked her over, a smile careful upon his lips. "You would be wicked enough to torment a man who has to be called back to duty within the hour." He sighed. "I suppose that's why some say women are wicked." Though he sounded so serious, thejoke migh tnot come across. Though she probably knew him well enough.