Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Down by the Sea [Goblin]

Started by Juno, January 08, 2013, 01:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

Lucien was quick to attempt to smooth over his slightly frazzled look. He intently listened to her and tried so desperately not to look confused as she claimed to think he was related to the people he was he was staying with. He moved closer to her place against the counter and leaned both hands upon it, thinking about how he didn't want to own to anything and confuse her.

"You might be surprised of the things you may be mistaken about," he remarked kindly with a smile. "But, of course I can forgive you. No harm, no foul, right?" he chuckled. "So what brings you?" he asked, having all but forgotten that she was a customer.

GoblinFae

The fisherwoman was greatly amused by their bantering. No longer under a deadline to get her precious cargo to a client, Riley allowed herself to once more appraise the handsome man before her. He certainly was something different. She particularly liked his curly hair, wondering privately what it would be like to run her fingers through its softness.

Blinking though to clear such steamy thoughts away, Riley cleared her throat and turned against the counter to copy the other man's posture. "Well I was hoping for a sweetbread if there are any left by now. Think you could help me out?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

"A sweetbread," he mused, knowing exactly how such a thing tasted but having no idea how the bakers here made them, or what they should look like. Looking down the counter distractedly, he wondered which of the neatly organized baskets contained the bread she was after. Slowly and nervously moving down the row, he asked, "And do you trust my judgment? Or did you want to choose one out? I think I see at least two."

GoblinFae

Riley could not contain herself and giggled, covering her mouth to try and muffle it. He was walking in the completely wrong direction of where the sweetbreads were. While she had been jesting about his relation to the baker's family, she was beginning to truly believe he was not related to them. Although she could not be sure that he was not some new hired help.

Resolved to put him out of his misery she walked down the other length of the counter, before pointing to the last tiny loaf of sweetbread. "Actually, I'm really sorry to be a pain, but, might I have one of these instead?" She chewed on the corner of bottom lip, hoping that he would not think she was mocking him, as she truly meant no insult towards the handsome man behind the counter.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

Looking up at her distractedly, he eyed the bread she was pointing at and hurried to accommodate her. Silently thanking her with his eyes for breaking his awkward bumbling, he nodded eagerly. "Not a pain at all, really," came his reply as he stopped and stared at the little loaf. He had no idea how things were done around here or even how much it was supposed to be.

Struggling to keep their interactions smooth, he reached out and plucked a small sheet of parchment off of the stack at the end of the counter. Using it to nab the bread, he wrapped it up as neatly as possible, taking painstaking effort to not crinkle the paper or smush the bread. Proudly holding out his "creation" to her, he gave another one of those easy, puppy-like smiles. "Here," he offered to her. "It's on me, don't worry about it."

GoblinFae

"Oh I couldn't!" she declared, placing her hands over her sternum. "I have enough money, honest. Despite what you saw at the stall, I do make a good living. I can afford to pay it myself," Riley stated quite flustered. She hurried to open her change purse to prove herself, feeling embarrassed that he would think to give her charity.

In her rush to open the small leather ties though the purse fell from her hands upending and sending her painstakingly earned coins rolling and clinking in all directions across the wooden floor. "Oh how clumsy of me," she bemoaned, dropping to her knees to try and collect them all as fast as she could. Her face burned hotly with shame and humiliation. If he was interested in her before, he definitely would not be now.

'Such a fool Riley girl. Pull your head out of the surf and get back to work!'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Wincing as he heard the distinct clinking of coins, Lucien hurried around to the store side of the counter. Setting down the bread on the counter he immediately knelt to pluck up the remaining few coins that had been missed. Reaching out, he gently grabbed her wrist and tried to press them back into her hand. "I meant no offense, Miss," he apologized, saddened that she seemed to think he was offering to cover it for her out of guilt or thinking her poor.

She was exactly the kind of girl Lucien could never steal from; she was too good and honest. Her kindness and helpfulness were so genuine, yet her pride seemed to make her unwilling to accept a gift from him. Or perhaps, he thought, embarrassed for his earlier assumptions. She isn't keen on any attention from me. Perhaps she already has someone around here. She does talk about families a lot.

"If it bothers you that much, think of it as a thank you?" he tried offering again, a slight blush rising to his cheeks.

GoblinFae

Her fingers closed around both the coins and his warm hand. "I take no offense," she replied softly, her pale cheeks flaming darkly with her shyness. It broke her heart to think that he was probably already tied to another woman. He was just too sweet and adorable.

"You have no need to thank me, sir. I haven't done anything to deserve it," came her modest reply. Reluctantly, Riley released his hand and rose to her feet. She smoothed her tunic down and fiddled with the coins in her hand while she tried to get her cheeks to cool.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Noticing the color to her face, Lucien thought she might be ashamed or embarrassed for their encounter. It saddened him to think he might have been too forward with her and was making her uncomfortable now. Slowly rising to his feet and averting his eyes for the fiery blush still upon his face, he returned to the other side of the counter to give her at least some semblance of space. "Forgive my being forward, miss," he apologized.

"I thought you very kind to give me advice and directions earlier," he admitted. "When you had no obligation to talk with me at all. I had hoped to repay that kindness."

GoblinFae

"No, please don't ask my forgiveness. You've done nothing wrong. It is I who has insulted you and seem to continue to do so." Riley hung her head feeling herself blush more before looking up shyly. "Now I fear though I have dug myself quite the tidepool. To refuse further is to be an even greater ass and I would rather not make more of a fool of myself in front of someone I just met, or anyone for that matter. But, if I accept your very generous offer after the fact then I'm just greedy and an opportunist.

"You must think the worst of me," she stated, trying to play it all off with a weak chuckle. "I'm so sorry. This really isn't my day."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

It disappointed him to see her looking sad and embarrassed. He'd thought this might have been an opportunity to thank her and show his appreciation, but now he just felt so unsure. It sounded like she was talking herself out of accepting it. Shrugging, he looked up at her with a sad smile. "I wouldn't think you were greedy at all. And...being an opportunist isn't necessarily bad. I'm one myself after all," he explained, trying to lighten the mood.

"But I wouldn't think anything ill of you for accepting my offer... It still stands. If you want to take it, of course, I don't mean to pressure you." He was shifting from foot to foot nervously, afraid she might think he had some ulterior motive in offering her something he thought was quite simple and inexpensive by his standards.

"My offer still stands. If...not today, then another day?"

GoblinFae

She laughed softly, taking the graciously given opportunity to do so. "Ah from one opportunist to another then we have an understanding," she jested. "Without shame to either side then, I shall accept your request whole-heartedly and with much gratitude. You favor brightens my day, truly," she told him earnestly, at last pointing her money away.

Choosing to further lighten the mood, Riley winked. "If I had known that you were paying though I would have bought something a bit more expensive. I guess I'm not as most practiced an opportunist as I claim to be.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Happy now that she would not be leaving on awkward terms about it, Lucien chuckled as she accepted at last. He was surprised, though, if she were telling the truth, that such a simple thing might brighten her day. "Perhaps I can make more than one day a little brighter," was his response as he quietly nudged the package of bread closer to her. "It's certainly worth that smile."

Thoroughly pleased with their positive interaction now, Lucien relaxed and began leaning on the counter again as he listened to her. "All isn't lost," he assured her calmly. "Perhaps next time you can take advantage of a different offer with that in mind. And... I think it would be nice. To spend more time with you while I'm here," he admitted, a slight blush remaining upon his cheeks.

GoblinFae

Riley blushed, batting her eyes and giggling like a child. "I think I would like that, if you wanted to try that is. More chances to take advantage of such offers though would mean you'd have to stick around. Think you can handle that in this stinky old city?"

She chuckled softly, taking the bread while shaking her head. "It was nice to see you again. Until our next run-in then, baker's grandson," the fisherwoman teased with a wink. A little wave was sent his way as she backed away towards the door.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

"It wouldn't be any trouble. I've always loved the sea, and I think it would be worth my while," he answered lightheartedly. He caught himself staring at her again, his cheeks darkening as she backed away.

Raising his hand in a gentle wave, Lucien bowed his head to her. "Until next time," he promised, his raised hand nervously running through the fringe of his hair. He would stand there nervously until she left, unsure what to do with himself in the store. He hated the thought of returning to the mess he made, especially when he knew that there was another waiting for him in the hall. All that was certain was that he could count his blessings for the owners not being around at the moment.

Before he returned to his efforts in the kitchen, Lucien rummaged around to find a coin purse under the counter and dropped in enough coin to cover at least twice what he thought was a fair amount for the little loaf of bread he'd let her have. Satisfied now that he wouldn't forget about the odd addition to his bill, he wandered off to try and clean up before the bakers returned as he wondered just who the young woman was he kept running into. She certainly is kind. And humble. Very beautiful with those rosy cheeks, too, he thought to himself, unaware that he'd been giving off an equally hot color. If nothing else, he hoped he could talk her into his bed before he left town.

GoblinFae

Once she exited view of the shop, Riley found allowed herself to lean against the side of a building and giggle incessantly. Her cheeks warmed with laughter and joy as she cradled the loaf of bread close to her heart, breathing in its sweet, doughy scent while remembering that of a rather sweet young man.

The fisherwoman regained enough control over her emotions to walk home easily but the smile that cracked her face from ear to ear could not be washed away. It was there to stay. Even when her father remarked upon it, she could do nothing but giggle and blush while slicing up their special treat over the the course of their evening meal.

When at last she laid her head to rest, feeling exhausted and bone tired from a hard day's work followed by preparations for the next day's market day, Riley dreamed. She slept with a softer smile lighting her face while seeing visions of pleasant conversations with a handsome stranger whom she managed to keep running into and she was happy.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Once he finally managed to clean up his messes and explain to the owners about the broken jar, Lucien was relieved that things seemed to fall together so easily. The bakers weren't upset with him and actually seemed relieved that he would admit to breaking something of theirs. He withheld his encounter with the young woman, but his offer to repay the additional damages was accepted. It was a small victory, if an odd one, but Lucien was happy.

And how could he not be happy? If all the women in town were like the anonymous girl he kept seeing he was going to have a difficult time leaving. Sure the town wasn't exactly picturesque, but it had character and the sight and smell of the sea couldn't be beat. There was something about the light-haired woman that fascinated him, though, beyond the physical. She was just so kind and helpful and exactly the type of person he tended to hurt in the end. Even knowing that, she still drew him in.

He spent the rest of his evening fussing over his clothes by the fire, trying to get every little thread of them dry again. Their few moments in the shop kept rising to the forefront, though, and he wondered about her more and more. Why did she think he was related to his hosts? He didn't think they looked similar at all, he was far too handsome for that. Had she seen someone like him before? Who was she anyway? It bothered him to not know all that he wanted to about her, but it only fueled his desire to see her again further. Not knowing when that would be was eating at him, though, even as he at last tried to rest. It seemed like he had so many things he would talk to her about if they met again that restless was a bit of an understatement. He didn't know why, but she stirred something in him. What exactly that was he wasn't sure of yet.

GoblinFae

Dawn came earlier than Riley would have wanted it to and with it, work. She and her father bustled about with their usual fervor. The strongest coffee she could make and the last slices of their tiny loaf of sweetbread were offered up to her father in a silent tribute as it was a well-known fact how much of a mourning person the Bellerose patriarch, was not.

Yet, as she moved about, lifting barrels of fish and chasing away cats, the fisherwoman could not help thinking about and even hoping that she would see the cute stranger from the day before, again. His handsome charm had won her over through and through.

As early morning became "respectable morning" as her mother had once called it, she kept peaking her head out of the fish stall hoping to catch a glimpse of a stranger in their humble city.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

It was mid-morning by the time Lucien was up and dressed for the day. Thinking he was beginning to look scraggly, though, he took the additional time to shave his face clean before he swung his empty satchel over his shoulder and set out for the day. If nothing else, he desperately needed more food as he was emptying the pantry of his generous hosts far too quickly.

Heading out to the market, he was surprised to see how busy things had gotten already. He took his time, though, and browsed amongst the stalls with a bit more comfort than the previous day as he was beginning to recognize things. After picking out some fruits to bring back as well as a few spices he'd noticed were missing from the kitchen, the thief set out in search of a replacement container of honey.

He whipped his head this way and that when he heard a loud thud in the distance. Then, a couple of small barrels were rolling out into the street just ahead of him. Lucien hurried forward to keep them from becoming any true obstacles in the street with the intention of returning them to the stall owner he was sure would be missing them soon if they hadn't already noticed. Chasing after them, he struggled to get ahead. By the time he did, though, he attempted to stop them with his foot. Unfortunately, he'd underestimated their weight and the first barrel easily rolled up onto his feet as the second added insult to injury by shoving the front barrel into his shins with a resounding thud.

Howling in pain, Lucien scrambled to shove them off before he was knocked off balance. Dropping to his knees with his hands keeping the barrels from rolling forward, he hung his head in shame of the scene he thought he must be causing in the middle of the street. Bright red, he let his forehead drop against the barrel as he rested for a moment. He needed to catch his breath for a moment and wallow in his pain a bit before he would be certain he would even be able to stand.

GoblinFae

Agam Bellerose had just sent his only child off make deliveries when a group of hooligans decided that it would be hilarious to send some of his fish barrels rolling down the main road on their way back to the sea. He did not have a chance to stop them and send them on their way though before they had a chance to send the second of his barrels careening through market crowd.

Shouting warnings and hobbling his way downhill as best as he could with a bad leg and generous girth, he was incredibly relieved to see them stop thanks to a kind-hearted stranger. Without so much as a greeting, he immediately righted the furthest barrel from the man and moved it out of the way.

"Sorry about that. Weren't hurt were ya? Damn kids makin' a mess of things again." Agam shook his head with a heavy huff, glaring at the aforementioned boys who had followed him down and were looking about rather guiltily. "Well get over here you rats," he growled. "Roll this one back on up to my stall!"

They scurried quickly to take the second barrel from the stranger and slowly began their way back uphill. "Agam Bellerrose, fishmonger," he offered, shoving his hand out in greeting towards the man.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Tags: