Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Flying by the Memories

Started by visualspice, February 21, 2013, 01:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

He missed the sea.  The sounds of the ocean, the kiss of the waves turning to foam at your feet against the wet, warm sands. And the skies... how they burned with color when sunsets rippled against the ocean's body, moved in endless sparkles, in endless waves.  It was an expanse so massive, it seemed possible that it could consume the world. Yes, the power of the ocean. It always made him feel powerful. It always made him feel free.  It made him feel at home, even when it was thousands of miles out, and thousands of miles deep. But here Gherrick found himself, merely a petty pirate having driven himself back onto land, longing to see the stone grave erected in her name....

Serrah.

He could hardly believe it had been only a few months, half a year, since she had been buried. Digging his teeth into his finger nails, he raked a hand through his wet, red hair while small droplets of water fell off and trickled down his cheek.

Dead. She was dead.
A corpse in the ground. Cold and rotting, never to be held in his arms again- to share gentle kisses beneath the willows, their umbrella for when they took their kisses outside of the rain.

And he would never know the truth, never know why she had been taken from him. Who could have done this to such a beautiful woman?

Staring over her grave, his blue eyes stared endlessly through the stone as he bent down, resting a single, red rose across the grave.
And as he turned to leave, soft droplets of rain began to fall. Cold, tiny, minute, crashing around him into the mushy ground. It had rained so much that week that it was ironic the rains had held off for his journey inland, to where she was buried high up on the cliffs in her family's graveyard. But it was as he was leaving that he paused beneath a great tree..
Recalling in sadness the ghosted memories of their past.
Of their love.
Of his pride.
Of her inspiration.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

The very last thing the mourner expected -- or, likely, wanted -- was to be interrupted, to be torn from his reverie by quite another woman and the guards pursuing her.

Had Eliana known the man stood on the other side, she might have chosen a different tree to rest beneath, even if it was for just a moment.  Approaching from the opposite direction, however, she could see nothing but the thick trunk of the tree and the dry ring of earth at its base.  It made little difference, sadly; thanks to her dash in the rainstorm, her hair was already sodden and clinging to her face, while her clothes clung to her feminine curves in a most immodest fashion.  Her fingers pressed against the cool bark of the trees as she paused, her eyes turning to the sloped ground behind her in search of her pursuers.

The men had yet to break through the copse of trees, but she could hear the sounds of their horses and their calls to one another.

Damn it.  Damn it, damn it!  Her fingers burrowed into the cracks in the bark, fingernails piercing the spongy surface.  She didn't even notice when one of her finely-manicured and brightly painted nails snapped off in the bark as she spun away.

Hopefully, there was a way to get down on the other side!

She circled around the tree trunk, eyes still over her shoulder -- and released a surprised squeak when she collided with the man standing on the other side.

visualspice

The one minute he was down. The next minute he was... down in the literal sense as something rounded the tree, something slammed into him and now that something, or someone,  was lying ontop of him as his back side was soaking up the pool of cool rain water at the base of the tree. He was surprised to realize, as his mind caught up to his blue eyes that he was staring back at blue eyes; the very blue and frightened eyes of a very pretty, rain soaked girl.

Had it been any other time, the charmer would have done his duty, but his eyes were stunted and glittering off the remnants of his tears and his voice had become swollen and locked within his throat.  And had he not been so wrapped up in his memories, he might have heard the guards shouting, the woman running, the braying of hounds, the thunder of horse hooves.  Or, he might even have noticed the condition of her dress, but for now, he was stunned, the breath knocked out of him as a woman appeared and fell quite literally into his lap.

"Are.. are you alright?" he asked, finally finding his voice. But then the sharp bark of a dog had his startled as Gherrick jerked from where he lay, leg kicking over his red bo staff from where it was leaning against the tree's trunk, quickly falling towards them. In a swift movement, he jerked forward, woman still in arms as he caught the staff before it thwarted either of them upon the head, and in doing so, he had to pause, realizing his own face almost had collided with hers.
And again he was found in a moment where his breath was caught in the bowels of his throat.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Eliana was rarely at a loss for words -- but falling, literally, into the arms of a man like this was...well...it was difficult to explain her position.  Anyway, he would see for himself soon enough, wouldn't he?

"I..." she began, flinching dramatically at the bay of a hound somewhere nearby, and the silent swearing began in her head again instead.  "I'm sorry," she finished hurriedly, pushing herself away from him to stand.  She risked a peek around the corner of the tree, then whirled on the poor bystander that she was about to bring into this.

There wasn't time to run.  If she ran now, there was no way they would not see her...  "There are some men following me," she began, her voice level and calm in spite of the panicked look in her eyes.  She felt cornered -- and she hated feeling that way.  "I can give you whatever you want if you give me a boost into this tree and misdirect them.  Gold.  Jewels.  Or...anything."  She hoped she didn't need to spell it out...

...And prayed that this man's loyalty to Connlaoth could be bought.

visualspice

Gherrick raised himself to his feet now, using the bo staff to leverage himself. He watched her, he listened to the men approach and bristled himself. He wasn't exactly the best man to avert attention, considering his current growing status and fame of who he was...

But he wasn't one to deny helping a stranger, so he afforded her an easy smile, his blue eyes friendly.

"I would never ask for a fee to help a lady," he said, bowing as if he were a prince, dark red hair falling over his eyes.  "But if you want, we could discuss a kiss later." he said, pointing to his lips with a grin- a far too natural response for the flirt. "But I'm not sure how hiding in the tree will help. I'm not, er, exactly the best man to be found by the guards.." he continued. "I'm sort of a wanted criminal."  But then he gave her an easy grin. "Though it's not to say the guards are very bright. They might not even know who I am. So, we could go with your proposed plan and see how it goes." He shrugged. "And if it goes terribly, well, I do have my bo staff." he pointed out, leaning it towards her before resting it again at his side. "But it's up to you, I never turn down the pleas from those who need help, especially from those suffering under injustices." Then he scratched his nose, considering. "Or, a smarter idea might be to have them be alerted to my presence over yours. After all, I can bring in a pretty hefty some of money. They might find me more monetarily satisfying to chase."

Ivory

That was a mixed bag of nuts, wasn't it?

She scarcely paused for a moment at the mention of either the kiss or his status as a criminal.  She only nodded once, taking everything he said in stride.

Her only comment to his suggestion was to clarify her own situation.  "I would be happy to extol my innocence," she murmured, fighting the urge to peek around the trunk again.  "Later.  Boost me up."

Only once he had begun to lift her up to the lowest branch, she said, "If you have not wronged the Duke of Merula, I suspect my pursuers will have little reason to recognize you, sir."  Her speech paused as she grasped the branch, easily pulling herself up into the tree.  She would have to go higher if she wanted to remain hidden, but for now, she had a few more words to share with the helpful man beneath her.  "It is the Duke's personal guard behind me -- and, as far as I know, that is all."

So saying, with a nimble grace, she began to climb higher into the tall tree, all-but vanishing into the limbs.

visualspice

Gherrick watched her disappear. The horses, the riders were nearing. He drew in a breath, a soft, rainy wind rustlign through his hair and at his blue, silk clothes. Stepping outside from the tree trunk, he paused, studying as the men approached, surrounding half the tree as the dogs brayed at him, their calls forthing from their black lips.

The men exchanged glances before addressing Gherrick. One of hte men leaning forward, clearing his throat.
"Sir, have you see a woman pass through here?"

Gherrick simply stared, eyeing up each man slowly before turning his blue eyes back to the one that spoke.

"A woman?" he said, smiling and leaning casually against his bo staff. "Hrm, can't say I really saw anyone. I was visiting the graves."

The man's face fell only slightly, his eye going to the red rose on a nearby grave, then back to Gherrick as his brows furrowed questionably. "A friend of the family?" he asked, suspiciously.

Gherrick shrugged. "You could say that."

The man went quiet, but the dogs did not, continuing to bray. His eyes furrowed as he grew annoyed. They could obviously smell her.

"Are you sure you hadn't seen a woman?" the man pressed, growing impatient as he tensed his grip upon the reigns.
Gherrick stared at him, then simply nodded.
"Someone may have passed, but I wasn't paying much attention until I heard the sound of your hounds and horses."

The man leaned back in his saddle, chin going high as he contemplated what to make of this man. His dress was interesting. Perhaps he was a nobleman visiting the area.
"My dogs seem to think differently," the man accused.

Gherrick only gave a rude smile.
"Naturally. I've got meat on me. They probably smell it."

The man narrowed his gaze on Gherrick, not liking the way he suddenly seemed to have an attitude. Was that arrogance he smelled!?

"You know messing with the affairs of a nobleman could get you into a lot of trouble. Are you sure you haven't seen the woman?"

One of hte men got smart and decided to look up into the tree, curious of what he could see there. Gherrick didn't miss it, and found himself sweating a little, and was thankful for the cold drizzle of the rain. He looked from that man back to the one who kept addressing him.
"I am mostly certainly well aware," Gherrick replied, seemingly unenthused he would use such a card against him. Really, who did they think he was? So he simply smiled and watched the other man from the corner of his eye, hoping they would leave him alone and not spot the woman in the tree above...

But as luck would have it, it seemed the men did.
"Hey- is that.."

Gherrick almost cursed between his teeth, and when the man on the horse before him turned to look- Gherrick's bo staff swung out, a red blur before it connected with the man's head.
With a terrible 'crack'! the man went down, crumpling with a  painful groan onto the floor. And jus as the other man began to realize what just happened, Gherrick was already twirling his staff about with effortless grace, before  taking only but a single step forward and thrusting the bo staff forward- knocking it into the other man's chest, and dehorsing him painfully int he process as well.
The first man began to rise, and the other 2 who hand't been harmed began to draw their blades.

Thankfully his bo staff was easy to manuever, as was his foot, as a swift kick came to the man's head before him, rendering him unconscious from the blow before he took to the air, smashing the end of his bo staff to the ground and launching himself clean over his now unconscious body-
and his foot kicked out in midair, body as a graceful spear and smashed it into a horse's side, startlign the beast and forcing it to kick off it's rider, which spooked the other animal who was the only one left with a rider.

"After him!" that man called, sword in hand as he pressed it heavily into the horses side and made pursuit.

All of this for a pretty face, Gherrick thought, dashing madly away.
There were only two men left, and the one who ws on the ground gave a growl and released the hounds as they began to tear off after the blue silk dressed man.

SOon both men were on horses and quickly advancing, but Gherrick new this land well, he just needed to plan everything just right and..
His feet skirted past a sink hole from a freshly dug grave that was half covered in mud-
moving lightly, he knew he would barely disrrupt the surface..

but when the riders came by, the ground collapsed beneath them, sending them into a bowl of mud and bones with dogs crying, horses on their back ides and men crying ut as their own horses were crushing their legs.

Gherrick paused and turned back, panting as he smirked at the men now trapped inside that hole.

"It's a pity we couldn't be friends," he said, bowing before them before grinning over at the tree, mud now staining his face, rain slicking his hair against this cheeks and blue eyes dancing.
He was quick to make his way back to the tree. One horse was still left.
He called up to the woman with urgency, offering a hand, "Take my hand! We've got to get away! Come on! While the guards are preoccupied!"

Ivory

In spite of what some claimed about the thief, she truly didn't care for people to be hurt -- and, in particular, not those who were helping her.  She had gasped softly when the soldiers recognized the criminal and a scuffle broke out -- but, true to her nature, she was already thinking how to use the situation to her advantage and had begun her descent.

Gherrick returned just as she made it to the lower branch.  She blinked at his hand a moment in surprise, then nodded and did simply as she was told.

"Thank you," she murmured, unable to voice how truly appreciative she was for his aid.  Some part of her considered the reward for which he would ask...but, in honesty, she didn't even care at the moment.  She would live to see another day.

They were soon on the horse and headed away from the guards and dogs alike.  It didn't take her long to begin shivering in small bursts; she didn't want to look so weak and vulnerable, but there was little help for it.  She was cold and wet, and, now that the adrenaline from the chase was beginning to fade, the rain was soaking her to the very bone.

"Go west," she advised softly.  "That's where I was headed before..."  Well, before the guards had caught up to her...

visualspice

Gherrick simply nodded, pressing himself low against the horse as he gave it a heavy kick. And so they would head west, the horse leaping over a fallen log and storming across the hills, leaving the valley and the cliffs of the graveyard to all but fade behind them.
They entered into a wide expanse of land before a treed path swiftly consumed them beneath it's shade, keeping some of the mist from finding them as they stormed through- and eventually the path emptied out onto a quiet, meandering road beside a stream. The horse's hooves clomped over a stone bridge as they pressed onward, a farm house coming into view.

"We could hide up ahead. I know these people. The place should be vacant. They are away in mourning for the day.  We can stay in the bar until nightfall. Then I can take you where you need to be." He peered back at her, the rain's once again having found them as he stared back at her, studying her for only a moment before tearing his blue eyed gaze away and focusing on the road ahead.

Ivory

Eliana, not really in the mood for idle chatter for too many reasons to count, simply nodded slightly.  If that was what he wished to do, who would she be to stop him after all he had done for her?

The woman held her tongue until they reached the barn.  She glanced around at the straw and various farm implements.  Although more accustomed to comfortable surroundings and living arrangements, it was at least somewhat warm, and it certainly protected them from the wind and the rain outside.

She let Gherrick tend to the horse and moved away several paces, wringing out her clothes and hair as she moved.  Although she felt like a drowned rat, there was a melancholy sort of beauty about her with her large eyes, pale skin, and dark hair.  She seemed as unconcerned about the state of her dress now as she had out in the rain, and she patiently waited for Gherrick to finish with the horse before speaking.

"Thank you," she said softly, her gratitude genuine.  It would be no exaggeration to say he had saved her life...  "I'm Eliana."

visualspice

Stepping into the barn, the horse hidden well and feeding off some of the hay stashed around back, he wiped the back of his hand across his brow, smearing the sweat and rain away while droplets of water still dribbled off the heavy bangs of his hair.  He peered over at the woman as she spoke, nodding her to lightly while wiping off the water droplets from his nose against his blue sleeve, then he stepped forward, bowing lightly.

"The name's Gherrick. And don't worry about thanking me. It's sort of the thing I do for a living anyways," he said with a light chuckle and shrug, then folded his arms over his chest, studying her andr ealizing.. oh my.. how immodest her dress was in the way the rain soaked through it and nonchalantly, he turned away, crossing one boot over the other and looked across the room on um.. something else.  Clearing his throat, he recomposed himself and smiled back at her, one of those boyish grins he always wore.  Too bad it would be hard to hide his blush...

"Guess it was your lucky day I happened to be around and it was my pleasure to help. Besides, I didn't have anything better to do."
He supposed a short adventure was better than remaining in a state of mourning-
It had been such a long time.. but not long enough.  It would take a while to get over her.  She just had been too young.

Ivory

Unsure of what his flippant comments meant -- and either unaware of her state of dress or simply unconcerned -- she made no reply, nor did she attempt to discern his identity.  Instead, after an awkward moment, she sank down onto a wooden footstool.

She wished this place had a fireplace...  Instead, she had to make due with the small amount of friction she could generate by rubbing her hands over her arms.

"I owe you an explanation," she said simply.  "And your payment."  Words of thanks, after all, were hardly what the man was likely after...

"The guards are searching for me, because I killed three of their comrades."  It wasn't exactly a plea of innocence...  Her words were flat and delivered without flourish; she was simply giving him the facts without asking for him to understand...  "They accused me of stealing from...the Duke's son."  Even now, she couldn't bring herself to say his name.  Her fingers reflexively crinkled the fabric of her dress, then worked to smooth it back out as she spoke.  "But they were gifts..."

Now, she really had stolen them...and she meant to sell everything once she reached Serendipity again.  Bastard...

visualspice

He shook his head at her offer of payment, but said nothing, keeping his arms folded over his chest as she talked.

He still said nothing, blue eyes wavering only slightly at the mention of murder. He hated killing, and tried his damnedest to never let it happen, but even his hands were not clean. ANd he was not here to judge.  Then at the mention of stealing and royalty, his eyes softened.
For someone to come out so openly on what she did, she was obviously grieving over the matter and brutal honesty was a fine trait. SHe could have just as well lied to him and he would't have known better.

Then he took off his blue silken tunic, so that all he wore was the rain soaked white collared shirt beneath, and moved beside her and draped it over her shoulders.
"Here, it's still a little damp, but the silk will dry quicker, and can hopefully keep you at least a little warm."
"And don't worry about payment," he laughed lightly and took a seat against hte hay, leaning into it and interlocking his hands behind his head. "You just stay safe and I'll see to it you escape from those guards." He paused to think, having grabbed a piece of hay and was chewing on the ends of it before he turned to look at her, studying her quietly.

"Where are you headed? I could take you as far as the boarder, if you'd like. Or even to the sea. I have a lot of connections there."
And it wasn't like he had much of a plan for himself while he was here.
He had been thinking of Serrah, and found his mind having all but forgot about her to help this woman in her plight.
"Just say the word, Eliana and I'd be more than willing to help." and here he sat up a little in the hay, realizing how warm the haystack was compared to the cold air inside the barn and how cold she might still be and patted a spot beside him.
"Here, if you'd like, you can sit beside me. We could keep each other warm until the rain let's up. Then we can considering our options. Besides, if a man accuses a woman of stealing things that were gifts, I might want to pay him a little visit. That's not a way to treat a lady." and here he paused, turning to the straw for a moment and examining it before taking up a few pieces and busying himself with weaving something in his hand. Then, turning to her, he offered her a small, make shift, twisted piece of straw- one that now looked (somewhat) like a flower.

"Here. It's a gift. And you don't have to keep it, but I won't ever ask for it back. Just keep it as a reminder that Seven-er .. Gherrick helped you out." He smiled at her, the hay still extended out for her to take between two pinched fingers. "The sea has endless possibilities." And he was beginning to miss the taste of the salt, the warm rush of the air and the crashing sound of the waves against the shore. Even the call of gulls were missed, even though the last time he was there, one pooped- right on his head! Damn birds!

Ivory

Eliana made no move to refuse the tunic, nor to accept his offer.  She looked somewhat puzzled, as though confronted with something so extraordinarily rare that she wasn't sure how to react.  She looked from the flower to Gherrick, then slowly rose to pluck the flower from his hand.  Settling down beside him, she turned it over between her fingers, then looked to him curiously.

"So," she murmured, the faintest smile touching the corners of her lips.  "You're Seven.  You're famous, you know."  But, of course he would know that...  "They say you take from the rich and give to the poor."

Which was all sort of silly, really.  Who had ever heard of a thief with morals?

"I'm afraid you've caught me at a bit of a disadvantage.  I'm not usually quite so..."  Her slender shoulders lifted in a slight shrug.  "Glum.  I'm usually quite the charmer."

visualspice

Gherrick blushed and turned away with a smile at her response to his name, rubbing at the back of his neck.
"I don't know about famous, but I suppose fame comes when you've got a price on your head." he told her, leaning casually back again within the hay.  Staring up at the ceiling, he sighed. But his smile slowly faded as she mentioned on being glum, and he turned to her, examining her for a moment.
"Yeah, I'm more of a charmer myself," he admitted, the blush keeping steady on his cheeks as a short breathy laugh and smile cut a dimple to his left cheek. He took another piece of straw and began to twirl it.  "If I wasn't so glum. I only came back here to visit the graveyard." He wasn't sure why he wanted to admit that to her. It came out, or rather, seemed to just come out naturally off his tongue. He wasn't a man to reserve things, or have others worry about himself. Perhaps he hoped she'd find comfort she wasn't the only one suffering under similar conditions- though they both had pessimistic emotions for very different reasons.

Ivory

"I suppose," she said slowly, "I should be honest with you...  More honest than I've been, at any rate."  Eliana's attention naturally fell to the straw flower she held.  She turned it about in her hands, watching the changes in its shape as it spun.  "What I told you is true.  They've accused me of stealing from the Duke, though I'm innocent of that crime."  For once.

"But I am a thief.  I left Serendipity only because I've conned one too many men out of their coin there.  It's amazing how far a pretty smile will take a woman..."

Sadly, it wasn't far enough...

"So I'm not entirely an innocent victim here."  She swallowed, then looked at him with a wilted smile.  "And I'm sorry I interrupted your visit."

visualspice

Gherrick kept his eyes fastened on the ceiling, listening to her story in silence but when she went to apologize he sat up and smiled.
"You don't need to apologize to me.  Cheating duke's and noblemen of their petty cash and thwarting their plans seems to be what I do best." He shook his head, still smiling. "So if anything, you might have been lucky to run into the right man." He scooted closer to her in the hay, taking another few pieces and making another flower before he handed her the second one.
"Well, we've got all night to wait this out. Maybe by then I can make you a bouquet?"
You know, of straw-flowers.
"And if you want to talk about it, it's fine. Most people feel better after they vent over this sort of thing. I'm rather used to hearing thee sorts of stories," he afforded her a softer grin. "Or we could um, make straw flowers together?" He really had no idea and was winging this one-

Oh yes, Seven was quite the charmer.

"What did they accuse you of stealing? If you don't mind me asking."

Ivory

"There isn't much to say," she answered, genuinely grateful for the offer.  Her smile widened a little more, and, although she was a long way from feeling better, she was beginning to feel safer than she had in days.  She had always hated having to rely on others for anything -- for coin, for work, for protection...but, if he hadn't been there...

Besides, his company wasn't bad at all.

"He gave me things.  Jewelry, mostly.  And coin.  He did think I was a courtesan, after all."  There was no shame in the statement; what on earth would she have to be ashamed of?  It was the trade she had grown up in, and she did enjoy some aspects of it, after all.  "Somehow they found out who I was."

She shook her head ruefully.  "It's not even a very exciting story."

visualspice

When her 'secret' was revealed, the red-haired man blinked.
"Oh." he simply replied, staring at her for a time. He wasn't exactly prepared to hear that sort of confession.  But as he thought about it, it unfortunately made sense due to her scenario.
"I'm sorry." he said after a time, blushing lightly over the idea. "I didn't mean to press the issue but it does explain a lot." His eyes went to her clothes, then away. NOW his face was blushing. What on earth- why did his eyes travel to-

BA-DUM.

His heart thumped loudly within his chest.
Thankfully his silk tunic made her more modest, or else he would have gotten an eyeful, and part of him worried that he had wanted to get an eyeful, which was rather uncharacteristic of him. He would never think to take advantage of a woman, and a poor woman who was running away from a life as a courtesan! The poor thing...

"Are you comfortable?" he inquired, realizing she must be chilly. "I'm sorry I can't afford you much more for warmth aside from the tunic, unless you um, want to nestle yourself inside the hay stack," he suggested sheepishly as he remained seated, rubbing at the back of his neck

Ivory

The lady thief blinked at the man, then covered her mouth lightly as a laugh escaped.  "Is that a blush?" she asked with a hidden grin.  "Because I'm a whore?"  Of all the ridiculous ways for a man to react!  Although she was grateful for the chance to laugh; it helped her shake a little bit of her unhappiness away...  "And you're a pirate..."

Her eyes shone as she considered him.  The poor boy!

"You needn't feel sorry for me on that account," she murmured, expression still amused.  "I chose the work.  And I worked for myself, which means I chose my clients and my rates."  Her smile returned as she added, "It was more honest than the work I'm used to.  And more enjoyable at times, too."

Reclining back against the hay again, she said, "And I'm fine.  I will be, anyway.  Thank you."

Tags: