Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Welcome to the Jungle (Rhi)

Started by wolfie, May 04, 2013, 05:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfie

Hael had decided it was time again for him to travel and see the world. He was growing tired of his little corner of the world afraid he might run into someone who knew him. He knew that wouldn't be the case here. He was in a jungle unknown to him. Listening carefully he made his way through instead of taking the path.

He heard it and couldn't believe his ears. There off the beaten path was a jaguar coming his way. He leaned against a tree thinking this a lucky break for him. He hadn't gotten to talk to a jaguar before. It made him wonder what this one would say. He also knew it was a dangerous game he played with wild animals, but he played it well.

Hael was smiling just waiting. He was listening for the jaguar to come out and say something. He hoped it had a sense of humor. Then the unexpected happened when he thought he had a jaguar....

Rhindeer

...But had a shifter instead.

Raxta had her powerful jaws around a freshly killed monkey and, with a few fluid leaps, she climbed a tree and wedged the body between a fork in the branches--dinner for later. Not quite a full meal, not quite the deer she had been hoping for, but it would do as a snack. Working her way back down and landing light on her feet, she shifted seamlessly from jaguar to human form (or as human as she got, anyway), as naked in that form as she was as a jaguar but with significantly less fur.

She sank to a crouch, knees drawn to her chest, and took deep breaths as she recovered from the change. It was always jarring at first, that switch in not only physicality, but mentality, and the change in senses and perceptions, in sight and sound and color and feel. A jaguar's brain was different than a human's, and that was what made the shifting tricky and potentially dangerous. She could not spend too much time as a full jaguar lest she lose herself to it.

When she had come back to herself, when her head stopped spinning and the sensory overload had faded (even touch was different as a human and a jaguar; hands were more sensitive than paws, and jaguar skin was protected by fur that a human's was not) she took a deep breath and wiped the blood from her lips, though it had already dried and smeared.

Alright. Hunting was done. Now she just needed to--huh?

She bristled, an unfamiliar smell catching her nose, and her ears flattened and tail lashed. Peering through the bushes, that was when she saw him.

A human. Too close for comfort.

With a jolt, she crouched down lower and held her breath, waiting. Perhaps he had not noticed her; humans could be incredibly imperceptive.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

wolfie

Hale was still just listening to the forest around him. He had expected the jag to pounce or something. Instead nothing happened. He wasn't sure what to make of this animal. Sighing he shook his head leaning against the tree. It seemed the best thing to do at that time as another idea struck him.

"I know you are there and you know I am here. Why avoid each other?" He said loud enough for the animal to hear him. He knew that it would translate into the animals language as needed.

Rhindeer

Augh! He had seen her. With a grimace, Raxta slowly poked her head above the bush she had hidden behind, ears still flat and eyes dilated. He didn't seem a threat, leaning against the tree like that, completely at his ease, but Raxta had lived a life of near solitude in a place where almost everything was a potential danger.

All in all, with her spots for camouflage and a hunting style that relied upon the element of surprise as much as sheer strength, she was a creature that much preferred to remain invisible.

Exposed, she was vulnerable.

She cleared her throat, eyes narrowing. "Who are you?" she asked at last. "What do you want?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

wolfie

There finally Hael had a visual, but that couldn't be right. He was sensing a jaguar right there in that bush. It was a human head that popped out at him. He scratched his head not sure what to make of this.

"Just some guy in the jungle wandering around talking. Who are you? Me? I just want to talk. I thought it would be fun to see what a jaguar said, but alas none around. Although any company is welcome to no company," he said still leaning against the tree. This was too puzzling for him.

Rhindeer

Raxta hissed lightly at that, ears going up and sharp teeth bared. No jaguar, he said? He may not have meant to insult, but she still bristled on the inside.

"No jaguar, you say? Are you blind? You are speaking to one now."

wolfie

Hael noted that this one was on edge. He wondered if he said something wrong. He heard what this being said, and it took him by surprise. His instincts were still good then. This was the jaguar even though it looked human.

"Sorry you just don't look like one. Its hard to tell one if they look human. So what brings you to this side of the jungle? Do you have a name? I'm Hael."

Rhindeer

Raxta blinked, very slowly.

"I live here," she answered, as though the question were absurd. She showed no signs of moving from where she was though also no signs of fleeing, even though her body was tense in preparation to do so if the slightest threat revealed itself. Part of her wanted to vanish, to slip away, and it would be so easy for her to do so and leave this awkward human behind.

But another part kept her rooted there: simple curiosity.

"And I was named Raxta."

wolfie

He watched and listened to her. Simple answers often came from animals they didn't have the needs or desires of humans. He was grateful for that. He stayed where he was too not even moving a muscle. He didn't want to scare her off.

"Raxta, how long have you been living here?" He asked wondering how old she was. He knew if it was her lifetime she would know everything about the area. He was hoping this was so, but prepared in case it wasn't.

"I only ask because if its been awhile you'll know this place better than I would. I just arrived and haven't been here long. Could you show me the wonders of the jungle?"

Rhindeer

One ear flicked as a fly buzzed too close, but aside from that Raxta was perfectly still. His next question was equally odd to her. "My whole life."

His questions only got odder, however. Wonders of the jungle? What was this human talking about? In any case, by now she had determined he was not a threat--or not much of one, in any case. He was odd and seemed rather foolish and she wasn't sure she understood him, but threatening? No.

In fact, if he was as clueless as he was implying, he would not live here long.

Standing, still dressed in naught but her spotted skin, she sighed and turned to rummage in the bushes for her clothing, where she had stored them earlier before her shift. "I am not sure what these 'wonders' are," she said. "But if you tell me, I am sure I can show you."

wolfie

Hael was glad to hear it her whole life meant she could indeed show him what he wanted. That was until she questioned it. He sighed wondering how to make her understand him. He had a feeling this wasn't going to be easy.

"What makes this place different from any forest I've set foot in? That would be one of the wonders of the jungle. I'm sure there are more, but I'm not sure how to word it," he said a bit at a loss of words. He was trying to think of a better understanding.

"What are you looking for?" He asked not realizing she wasn't dressed.

Rhindeer

Raxta glanced over her shoulder at him and blinked slowly. "I have not been to these other forests," she said, "so I could not tell you what's different."

She found her skirt, then, a crude wrap made of deerskin, and picked it up as he asked his question. Turning to face him, not at all minding her own nudity, she held up the skirt to show him. "My clothes."

wolfie

He was stumped at how better to explain this. He suddenly got an idea. Seeing she was holding up clothing he turned around quickly. Sighing he wondered why he hadn't picked up on her not being dressed sooner.

"Sorry didn't realize you weren't fully clothed. Let me know when you are so I can turn back around. Well what do you like best about this place?" He asked not sure how else to word this. It wasn't every day an animal stumped him. He was just at a loss of how to explain the wonders of the jungle.

Rhindeer

Raxta tilted her head, wondering why he had turned away so abruptly.

"Why are you sorry?" she asked as she wrapped the furs around her waist, leaving her breasts bare. The concept of modesty, and nudity being uncomfortable, was lost on her completely. She pulled out the cloth she used to bind her breasts, not because they needed to be hidden, but simply because movement was more comfortable when they were supported.

She began to wrap it about her chest. His question was rather odd to her, for she never really thought about what she liked or disliked about it. Survival was at the forefront of her mind, and everything else just was. But...hmmm...now that she thought about it...

"I like the river," she said with a shrug as she finished tying off the bindings, "And that you are never truly alone, even when you are. Also, I'm clothed now."

wolfie

"I am just being polite," he said forgetting he was talking to an animal again. He listened as she spoke glad when she said she was clothed. Taking that she wouldn't trick him he turned to face her again. Hael was relieved she was dressed didn't want to send the wrong messages just in case another was watching. He was always careful.

"How is one never truly alone in the jungle? Other than you I see and feel no one else," he said puzzled. It wasn't like this in the forest. When one was alone they truly were alone. None of this made any sense.

"Then perhaps you could show me the river?"

Rhindeer

Raxta flicked her tail and gave a wry smile. This human was not very bright, was he?

"We're not alone." She raised a finger and pointed upwards, toward the thick canopy above. "The trees are full of monkeys, birds, lizards, snakes, insects. In any case, yes, I can show you, I suppose."

Why not? He seemed harmless, and also a little slow. Besides, he was human, and she saw no weapons on him. If anything went wrong, she was certain that she could slip away from him with ease. But for now, she had deemed him not a threat, and that was good enough.

She stepped from the bushes, barefoot, and eyed him curiously. "Do you have a name?"

wolfie

He heard what she said and looked up wondering why he hadn't felt those. He realized it was because he had focused too much on the jaguar, which wasn't good. He widened his senses again and found she was right.

"Thank you I'd like to see. Perhaps you could take me through a day in your shoes?" He said knowing that would be no small feat. Animals didn't always like showing him their favorite places let alone what it was like to be them. Some thought humans were beneath them instead of smart intelligent beings capable of standing their own.

"Oh sorry forgot my manners. I'm Hael."

Rhindeer

Raxta wasn't sure how she felt about that, about having him tag along while she went about her business. It seemed like he would get in the way or slow her down, but she supposed that if he annoyed her she could easily leave him behind. Still, she didn't like it; she had always been a very private person so the idea of letting him in on her daily routines was...

Disconcerting.

"I'll show you to the river, Hael," she said, promising nothing, and added with a wry look, "And I don't wear shoes."

wolfie

He could feel it. Hael was the outsider again as was always. He hated this feeling, and was trying hard to fit in here. The forest was home and always would be no matter where he travelled. Every time he left the forest for some place else he was reminded of this.

"Didn't ask if you did. I'd love to see the river."

Rhindeer

Raxta tilted her head, brow creased with confusion. "You asked to spend a day in my shoes."