Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hanging from an Ice-Cold Chandelier

Started by visualspice, June 03, 2013, 09:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Katahnia was exhausted. The walk had been long, and she was still mourning over Mursh's death. Though she had only known him briefly, he had been such a help to her when things had just begun..
when she had become a part of the Free Folk, began to vocalize herself and to reach out to the people, making a name for herself. So as they entered into the cabin, she shivered and removed her gloves, ignoring Conall's suggestion to sit as she worked at tending a fire.
"I'll relax once I get us a fire going. My fingers are freezing," and she went to work, fussing over the flint and hatchet before eventually, after a few quick strikes, he got a flame.
Tending to the fire, she fed it very carefully, letting it grow off of smaller timber and wood chips and dried leaves collected upon the floor in the corners, before gradually adding a few pieces of wood nearby on the floor to get it some girth to it's flames.
Once she was satisfied, she sighed and leaned back, just letting herself rest upon the floor as she sat before the hearth, watching the flames in silence.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

He nodded wearily, thinking that he would have made the fire himself if he weren't so weak from his condition, the lack of sleep, of food...

The moment he sunk into that chair, he shed his guise and let his true state show. He looked tired, pained. Yet there was still much for him to do before he could allow sleep to overcome him.

He took a small moment while Katahnia made the fire to gather what little strength he had left in his body before he quietly pulled himself up out of his chair and trudged out the door with a pick and a shovel.

Digging a grave deep enough in this climate took some time. The snow was, thankfully, soft and easy to get through but the soil was hard and had an almost rocky quality to it. It did not yield to him easily, but this did not deter him. He kept digging and hacking at the earth until he stood in a hole that was nearly as tall as he was and double the width.

He was unsure of how long he'd been digging , but by the time he was done it was late afternoon and he felt thoroughly numbed by the cold but not numb enough to feel how sore his muscles were or how hungry he was.

Sighing, he reached up to pull himself out of the hole but halfway up his muscles gave out and he fell backwards, the shovel's head smashing into his nose. He lay there in the grave on his back and staring up above, feeling dazed.

"Ow."

ooc: The least she could do is cook the bloody bird. lulz. Lazy woman!

visualspice

OOC: Lolz

-----------

And cook the bird she did, as Conall had left (and seeing as there was only enough supplies for one person to dig) she resigned herself to cooking as she had promised, and once all of the feathers were plucked clean from the bird, she basted it in a pot with some snow-water and well..
there was not much of anything else ot provide the meat with any flavor. Placing that over top of the fire, she tucked back her blonde hair and thought she heard something outside.
Stepping out into the snow, her eyes went wide as an arrow was sunk into the door frame, just inches from her nose.
Her eyes went cross and before she knew it, a man stepped out from behind the trees, reloading his cross bow.

"Just stay right where you are, missy," the man said gruffly, and slowly, Katahnia raised her hands in a sign of defeat. Thankfully, it appeared neither noticed the man who had fallen into the grave.... yet.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Knocking the shovel aside with a hand, Conall rose again and tried to pull himself out of the hole again, this time jumping up as he grabbed onto the edge of earth and digging the toe of his boot into frozen soil, hoping that would give him the boost he'd need to get clear.Unfortunately, his strength failed him again and he fell back down with an ,"Oof!" and what he presumed would be a very large bruise on his back (in the next a few days!).   

He stood up again though this time not as quickly and he reached high as he could, waving his hand about above the hole , "Er...Katahania? Could you give me a little help here?"  He called out as loud as he could, completely unaware that his companion was being held at crossbow point by a stranger.

The man with the crossbow yelped and gave a start. Seeing a hand flailing about from beyond the grave, he panicked and he fired at it! "Stay down , you wretched undead abomination!"

Sssshnk! It was a direct hit!

"OH GOD! MY HAND! "

ooc: lol....sad.

visualspice

Katahnia was just as terrified as the man was, and jumped when the man fired the crossbow, eyes going wide as it sunk into Conall's hand. But while the man was frozen and appalled to hear the 'assumed it was a zombie' screaming in pain, Katahnia wasted no time in grabbing the nearby shovel and nailing the crossbower in the head.
And with a loud clang, the man went down.

Standing there, she tossed the shovel aside with a frustrated groan and turned to Conall, quickly approaching the grave. "Are you alright?" she said, then cringed at the sight of his hand.. and all the blood.

Paradox

In response, he cried out in anguish because it made him feel better. Just a little.

"I was shot! In the hand! " Conall exclaimed, seeming as though he couldn't believe such a thing were possible. He knew she hadn't shot him, but who had? He didn't think of himself first, "Who shot me? Did you...take care of them ? Are you ...you're not hurt , are you? " He looked up, searching for signs of injury. Well, she at least seemed fine. "At least the bolt went through clean." He held it up to show her his bloody glove.

He held out his other hand, "This is ....embarrassing for me to admit ,but I don't...I cannot- " he blushed , "Could you help me to ...get out of here? I just need a little- if you could just help pull me up, then I'd be grateful. "

visualspice

"I.. I can see that," she said, smiling despite the situation before frowning and shaking her head.
"There was some man. I.. I don't know if he was one of our enemies but when I opened the door to the cabin he was there, pointing his crossbow at my face. " She gestured over to his fallen body, the one he wouldn't be able to see before she frowned and looked back at him.

"We'll have to get that out and have it treated," she said while gesturing to the bolt sticking out of his hand.  And at his request for her to help him get out, she nodded.
"Yes, here.." and she crouched down, offering out her hand, though as she tried to pull him out, she let out a yelp and  lost her footing, falling clean ontop of him, in the muddy, snowy grave.

Paradox

"Thank you," he sighed and took her hand, but something went wrong and the pair of them tumbled down into the hole though not before clunking foreheads together.

He lay there on his back with Katahnia sprawled out over him. It felt somewhat awkward to be this close to her and perhaps his quiet attraction to her made it feel even more so. There were other feelings he felt as well, the baser signs of physical attractions which he prayed would not end up betraying him. Such things were more difficult to control , however.

He hid his face with his uninjured hand and blushed furiously, his skin feeling hotter than the hearth's fire. "Apologies. I must have pulled too hard. Are you alright?" He didn't move because GOD did his back HURT!

At least it made him forget about his hand. Which had been shot!

ooc: Team Awkward-Failz! GOooooo!

visualspice

It was awkward, indeed, and their faces and bodies landed in quite the compromising position; and so he wasn't the only one that was blushing, for she too, had developed a small crush on the Duke back during the party... and felt her heart beat now well into her ears, and it heated them too, giving her entire face (ears included) a cherry-red blush.

"Oh, n-no! I'm the one who should be sorry!" she said, scrambling to get off of him as she gasped and noticed he must still be in pain. "Goodness, your hand. Does it hurt badly?" Then looking around to the mess tehy were in she sighed. "We'll have to climb out of here together." And then she looked back towards him and asked, "Will you need my help?" and she brushed her hair out of her face, smearing mud from her mittens across her forehead and hair.

Paradox

He was relieved when she moved off of him for numerous reasons and one of those reasons being physical stress. He looked down at his hand when she inquired about it ," Yes." But then his eyes widened and he reflexively jerked away from her ," B-but I'll be FINE! I don't need it to be healed." He didn't want her using magic on him AGAIN. And , like a frightened child that would tell his mother , "NO TOUCHEE!" Conall stuffed his bloody hand under his armpit and hid it from view. "See? All better? Now..."

He looked at her when she mentioned helping him out, "Perhaps if you give me a boost then I could pull you out." He noticed the mud smearing her features and was trying his best not to laugh.

visualspice

Katahnia frowned as he stuffed the hand away.
"You shouldn't put so much stress on it. We still need to get the bolt out. But it might be wise to keep it in until we've gotten ourselves out of this place."A nd she sighed again, looking around for a stable spot to climb, but everything looked like snow and mud and crumbly rocks.
She raked another hand through her hair and rubbed a hand at her nose, smearing more dirt.
"Come on, let's try this way, shall we?" and she moved and tested the walls, and once she had better footing she offered out her hand. "Here, let me help you. I can pull you up to where I am and hten support you so you can climb out. Do you think you can manage that?" she wasn't sure the extent of his injuries, but seeing him jerk away so fast to protect his hand, she assumed he might be able to manage this.

Hopefully.

Paradox

"Yeah," He replied with a nod.

He took her hand and stepped up beside her and looked over . "Are you sure about this?" Up he went with her support and he managed to pull himself out of the hole and helped her out of it , only offering his good hand. Once they were free of the grave , Conall picked up the shovel stumbled over to where the fallen man was and nudged him over onto his back with his boot. He frowned, " He's not dead  , is he?"

Quite suddenly, the man shot up and pointed at Conall and shrieked, ZOMBIE!"

"Gah!" Conall also freaked out and smacked the man upside the head with the shovel. The man slumped over face first in the snow.

visualspice

Startled, Katahnia found herself clinging onto Conall's arm. Her heart, now in her throat, was pumping heavily within her ears, even long after the man was subdued and lay, appearing dead as a door nail in the snow. Though lucky him, he was merely knocked unconscious witha  shovel.
Sighing, she finally let go of the tight hold on Conall's arm.

"Gods, that frightened me," she said with a frown, and walked over to the man, examining him before peering over at Conall. "What ought we to do with him? We still have no idea who he is, or what he wants."

Paradox

"Zombie?" Conall looked at her, " Do I really look that bad?" He regarded the unconscious man now and shook his head, " We've got some rope that we could tie him up with. " He moved over to the man and took his legs, "Grab his arms and we'll secure him over there near the horses . " With her help they dragged the man over to a couple trees away from where the horses were secured and Conall eased Mursh's body out of the saddle of the horse he'd been set on and rested him on the snow. He took the rope he'd used his corpse to tie their new captive to the tree tightly. He'd learned quite a bit from the prisoners he'd escaped with from the mines . Their new friend wasn't going anywhere.

Conall stepped back , "We'll leave him there for now. I..." He looked down at his hand, " should take care of this now."

visualspice

Katahnia assisted as best as she could, but despite Conall's question she sighed and pouted over at the man.
"But should we really keep him tied up here in the snow? What if he freezes to death?"

Paradox

Conall stared at her for a moment, " No, I don't intend to unless he proves to be difficult. We need to deal with one thing at a time, however. Stay here and question him if you like. I'll take care of my wound, " He went over to the horses and freed up his pack and carried it back to the cabin.

visualspice

Katahnia hesitated before she turned to Conall.
"No, you're right. We need to deal with your hand." and she placed a hand upon his shoulder. "I did offer to help you, after all. Come.. we also need to tend to the fire before it gets too low and we'll need to collect more wood. But your hand..."S e frowned, sighing. "I just wish I could help more than help you yank the thing out and wrap it." She sighed again, but then followed him quietly into the house. She quickly placed a few more logs onto the hearth before turning around to Conall, concern clear upon her face.

"Where shall we do this?"s he asked, having already procured a small bowl with water, some clothe- one for wrapping, one for cleaning up the blood, and a loose piece of leather for him to bite on when they yanked the thing out. She wondered if they had thread, but figured to ask once Conall found a good place to get situated. He would be the one suffering, after all.

Paradox

He tossed the pack on the floor and nodded at it, "Medical supplies in there."

Conall found a seat and held out his bloody hand, glaring at the crossbow bolt protruding from it. He took a couple deep breaths and mentally prepared himself for what he knew would be an excruciating sort of pain. He looked up at her, "Alright. Let's get this over with."

visualspice

Katahnia went through the pack and pulled out the ointment (for what was left) and a needle and thread, though they were getting low. She suspected a lot of her wounds had consumed alot of the thread. But she wouldn't need much, thankfully. Preparing the thread and needle, she set those aside and turned to Conall, handing him the leather.

"Put this between your teeth. It'll help keep you from breaking them when you scream," and though she smiled, it wa sa nervous one as she drew in a breath to steady her nerves as she looked at the bolt. She gripped her hand around it...
"On three?"

And then she began to count, gently tapping her foot...
"One.... Two..." And then she yanked it out quick as lightning "Three..."she siad through a half wince as she threw the damn thing into the fire, then was quick to apply the clean clothed over the wound, applying pressure and wrapping it up quick.

"That's a lot of blood,.." she commented, leaning in real close to examine the clothe that was quickly turning red. "It needs more pressure." and she sucked in another breath and applied more pressure of her own hands, keeping a tight grip upon his as she did so, not realizing her face was but a foot away from his, though more focused onhis hand than their close proximity.

Paradox

He took the strip of leather from her and placed it in his mouth as he'd been instructed to and then nodded at her and lowered his eyes to his hand. He'd thought of closing them, but not knowing when it was going to happen made him feel even more anxious than simply watching. He took another deep breath and waited.

On three his eyes bulged and his face turned bright red, muscles drawn tight as his anguished scream blasted against the leather which muffled the sound and prevented himself from biting clean through his tongue. A couple tears accompanied that nearly unbearable pain.

But just as soon as it hurt like hell...the pain subsided a bit now that the crossbow's bolt had been drawn out.

And now he was concerned about the damage. He wouldn't be able to grip things properly for awhile.

"Ansgar's beard!" He hissed and spat the leather out of his mouth once his hand had been wrapped.He stared at it and nodded at her comment. There was a lot of blood, yes. Thankfully, the worst part was over.

"Thank you..." He was aware of how near she was to him and tried to focus his mind on something else. He lowered his eyes from her face and stared at his wounded hand which was clasped between hers.  "Thank you." He repeated because he didn't know what else to say and he was certainly grateful to have her do that for him rather than be left to do it alone.