Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hanging from an Ice-Cold Chandelier

Started by visualspice, June 03, 2013, 09:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Katahnia's eyes went wide as she suddenly let loose a kick an da scream, knocking over BOTH bowls of their soup in the process as she wriggled and writhed within his grasp, the very notion of him holding her making her ticklish as all hell, especially since his voice was now blaring in her ears in his lame as a duck zombie voice.
"C-Conall! St-STOP!" she screamed, squirming some more before the pair were suddenly bashing heads...
again.

OOC: LOL
Just thnk if they end up ever having children or something |8*
special with a capital S
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Though she kicked and begged, he was not going to release her. "Zombie Conall does not understand request. He shall feast on BRAINSSSS! If only Katahnia could reach her sole hope, the HOLY PINE CONE GRENADE! Unfortunately, the grenade lies far from reach and she is dooooooooooooooomed D0000ooooomed!!! "He started choking on laughter , but continued his antics, poking her sides, "But oh! What's this!? Zombie Conall doesn't have any eyes! He can't see where his victim's brains are! Maybe they're HERE!"  He tickled his sides unmercifully.

BECAUSE SHE WAS EVIL AND IT WAS TIME FOR PAYBACK!

FOR THE BEARD!   

ooc: >.> Seriously, I think his parents should have let him outside more often.

visualspice

"CONALL!" she snapped, whirling around and squealing at the barrage of tickling pokes at her side and soon found herself frontwards facing him instead of back, and gasped as she landed upon him in a most compromising position...
sinc eher face landed upon his, a sloppy (but not really a kiss) kiss (ok her lips sort of just fell onto his.. or near them) landed as their noises bumped, bodies bumped, and it was just all around chaos as they suddenly were entangling limbs. ANd it was only when she found her voice, did she scream, "C-Conall!" ad her face was far redder than a tomato as she simply stared back at him in wide eyed shock.

It was only in that awkward moment of horrified silence did there come an estranged groan from outside.

"Somebody.. anybody... is someone out there to help me!?" It was the man's voice they had tied up from earlier...
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

The humor was snuffed out all at once, replaced by an incredible brand of awkward. His body froze up completely , paralyzed with an odd and uncomfortable blend of fear, shame and...feelings that he knew he shouldn't have been having but couldn't help. His face was flushed even hotter and darker than hers.

He stared up at her wide-eyed and confused. He felt an urge to make it a proper kiss though he knew how wrong and selfish that act would have been.

Fortunately, their moment of awkwardness was interrupted by the voice of the man who he assumed was very same they'd tied up earlier. "Ah...well, it seems our friend is awake now." He hastily untangled himself from her and hurried out the door and over to the tree where the mysterious crossbowman sat tied, working on composing himself as he walked.

He paused several feet away from the 'captive'  ,"Now that you're awake, perhaps you'd be so kind as to explain why you tried to shoot my friend?"

visualspice

The man growled back at them, wild, black hair hanging over his face.
"How am I to know who is and who is not an enemy?" He fought against his restrains, veins bulging within his neck. "There is no one you can trust in Hyoite, in the mountains of the wild."

Katahnia had followed Conall outside, a frown now sagging upon her lips. She knew what he meant better than he could imagine, and the healing gashes on her face, the bruises there of, were proof of that.

"So far, we are only as much as your enemy as you press. You threatened us first before any sort of reason. So we did what we must in order to survive."

The man stopped fighting against his restrains as he looked over at the pair.

"You sound too civilized to be from around these parts,' he sneered. "Where are the pair of you from?"

Katahnia's expression softened, but only a little. "Connlaoth." was all she said.

Paradox

Conall watched and listened, silent during the short exchange between Katahnia and the strange man.

"And if we were 'savage' natives would you be less inclined to negotiate with us? " He shook his head and took a step closer, " I am Conall of Connlaoth. That's all you need know for the moment.  But you are finished asking questions right now. I have some for you and you will answer them without protestation or you can sit here until the frost takes you. Understand? I will not negotiate with someone who threatened our lives without any provocation."  His tone and expression were quite serious.

"Now then, we'll start with something simple. Who are you and where are you from? "     

visualspice

The man growled at the pair, but who was he to fight it.
"So the two of you are from Connlaoth too?" he sneered. "Then the pair of you are either terribly lucky or terribly unfortunate. I just came from one of the mage camps. Horrible, despicable things. And I'm glad I made it out alive... the others...t hey were not so fortunate. We tried to plan an escape, but they were all over us like wolves. There, you happy now? You have my story, and as far as my name.." his eyes narrowed upon the pair.

"You can just call me Joshua. ANd if you're hunters, you'd better shoot me now.I 'd rather die swiftly than from this god damn cold."

"Kill you?" Katahnia shook her head and approached. "But we have hardly any reason, unless you tried to harm us. Which, "She reminded him. "You did."

The man looked up at her, raising his brows."So what of it? The Kilanthro mountains are a harsh place, harsher than most. And more dangerous now that Connlaothian soldiers and mordecai are traipsing all through it." He wrinkled his nose.

"But you siad you came from the mage camps..." Katahnia pressed.

"Yes, what of them?"

She frowned. "Were you from there? As a captive I mean?"

The man went quiet for a while. "Though I do not wear the mark on me, I am a mage. One of water, if you can believe it. So appropriate in a place of snow," he said with a sneer. Then he eyed the pair of them. "I've never seen either of you before. What's your game?"

Katahnia went silent for a while, uncertain how to answer before revealing, "I am Katahnia Harmond." The man's eyes lit up. "I was sent here to die, far north, at a long deserted castle in Hyoite."

"Gods be damned.." the man breathed. "You're the Katahnia? The lady of our revolution?"

Katahnia blushed a little.
"I'd hardly give myself such credit, and if it weren't for the man beside me, I'd be dead."

If hte man could make a mark, he surely would towards Conall.
"And what of you, sir? Are you a mage as well?"

Paradox

Conall was yet again quiet for the duration of the verbal exchange between Katahnia and Joshua. Katahnia was some sort of figurehead for the mage revolution? Well, this kept getting more interesting.

"No. I am , believe it or not , a simple man escaped from the Kilanthros Mines Prison. " He smiled wearily, "I'm sure you are familiar with it. It is an underground hell where people get sent to for so much as looking funny at the Grand Duke. " He studied Joshua for a long time with cold, hard eyes and then nodded, " A word of advice, Joshua, one does not feel out for potential alliances by shooting a man before he gets to know him. You are ..." He unsheathed the dagger from his thigh sheath and held it up before his eye as he walked over to the captive, "fortunate that you and I...." he knelt down in front of Joshua and the dagger flashed....

It looked like Conall was going to stab the man, but he didn't , " Are not the same. Were I a lesser man, I probably would have killed you sooner for shooting me." He showed the man his hand then moved around the behind him and...untied the bindings.

"Do not betray my trust. I won't be forgiving a second time. "

visualspice

Joshua tensed, but once the ropes were cut, heblinked and looked over at Conall as Katahnia stood beside him. But he bowed to both humbly.
"I.. apologize for earlier," he said, clearing his throat and looking at the pair. "You both seem as bad off as I. Do you have supplies?"

Katahnia looked towards Conall, then back to Joshua as she tucked her hair behind her ears.

"We have a little... are you hungry? There's not much soup left but perhaps-"
and the man held his hand up to stop her.

"I had caught a rabbit recently. We can share it with whatever soup you might have if you wish. It's the least I can do."
Katahnia turned towards Conall, her eyes alit, but she dare not say a word, giving him the final say.  He had saved her life after all, and she already knew his view on mages. she did not want t make him more uncomfortable than he already was.

Paradox

ooc: Conall didn't cut the ropes. Waste of good rope. >> He drew the dagger just for a bit of intimidation. ;P

ic:

Conall narrowed his eyes suspiciously at Joshua when the man inquired about supplies. He frowned a bit when Katahnia answered. Though he supposed it hardly mattered, for now that Joshua was free he would soon see what they had anyway.

Though he felt slightly uncomfortable with their newest guest, it wasn't necessarily because the man was a mage (though this was somewhat of a concern as well.) " You're welcome to join us inside by the fire, but first we have a bit of solemn business to attend to. " He looked over in the direction of Mursh's corpse, "I hate to press the matter, but we need to bury that man before it gets too dark. "

visualspice

OOC: D'oh!

----------

Joshua's eyes followed over to the corpse, and as he approached, his eyes widened at the sight.
"Mursh..." He shook his head, marking a symbol across him. "Angsar protect his soul." he whispered.

Katahnia remained silent a moment, not knowing what else to say except affording him a small smile before turning back towards Conall.
"Come, your hand is injured. Joshua and I could handle this." And she gestured to the other mage and he nodded.

"Yes, I... Iwould not mind burying a friend," and in silence, both he nad Katahnia moved to lift the body, before resting it within the grave.

Paradox

The other man reacted in a manner that suggested that the fallen was someone he was familiar with . Katahnia had called Mursh a friend, someone whom had helped her a great deal. Perhaps the man had touched more lives than Conall knew? Conall had known people like this before and held great admiration for them.

He said nothing and nodded. Though it didn't show quite as clearly, the duke was exhausted. Even if he wanted to help- he looked down at his hand and tried to make a fist, but he winced and quit a quarter through the motion. Of course he knew better than to try, the arrow had torn his hand up pretty good.

He followed them quietly and remained silent, allowing them to offer their parting words before offering something of his own. He cleared his throat and recited:

"Don't think of him as gone away
his journey's just begun,
life holds so many facets
this earth is only one.

Just think of him as resting
from the sorrows and the tears
in a place of warmth and comfort
where there are no days and years.

Think how he must be wishing
that we could know today
how nothing but our sadness
can really pass away.

And think of him as living
in the hearts of those he touched...
for nothing loved is ever lost
and he was loved so much."

"May you find eternal peace and security as you walk by Ansgar's side, Mursh." Conall finished and turned away, allowing Katahnia and Joshua to cover the grave.

ooc: The poem in italics is copyright of Ellen Brenneman.

visualspice

Kathania placed a hand upon Conall's shoulder, light tears held within her eyes. Though the touch was brief, the air of grief was apparent, even the stranger was solemn. So in quiet they buried the body until there was nothing left of him but dirt and snow.

Standing before the grave, Katahnia's eyes remained upon the pile of dirt for a long while, before she softly began to sing, singing the song of the gone.

"The earth is hot and unforgiving, and winters chill means to kill; but people they are ever strong, and will never die so there's no darkness to fear. For in this life we have but many, things to take  with us when we die. So be proud, be true, be friendly, and in the next life you may never die."

"Seek the sun, and moon and stars, look towards the endless heavens above. See the mountains gracing through, and know this is just one life we pass through."

"The earth is hot and unforgiving, and winters chill means to kill; but people they are ever strong, and through our faith, we can never be wrong. SO be proud, stay true to your heart, and keep the kindness near, and may it never part."

"In the end of days and times, we each pass on, our fate untwines; but if you are steadfast, an honorable sort, in the end, you will find your new start."

Bowing her head down, she made a motion of prayer.
"May you rest easy in your grave, Mursh."
ANd Joshua bowed to, having grown quiet as she sung, the song still resounding and hanging about airily against the trees.

"Shall we go in for a meal now then?" Joshua spoke after a time, knowing someone had to be the one to break the silence.

Paradox

"Indeed," Conall agreed, "though I must caution you that it'll feel a little crowded. It's hardly enough space to fit two comfortably." His hand briefly rested on Katahnia's shoulder lightly as he passed by, but the weight of his touch was fleeting as he continued moving back to the cabin.

"Don't mind the mess either, " he said said as he pushed open the door and gestured for them to enter first, "I haven't entertained any company until quite recently.

The soup antics had only made the mess slightly worse. He nodded over to the fire and the pot, "Have at it, then. "

He closed the door behind them and started trying to clean the room up as best as he could. "I'm curious to know how you managed to escape these mage camps? Are they nearby? You mentioned something about hunters...and I can only assume that you're being tracked down for escaping. By mordecai, perhaps?"

He hoped not. He didn't desire to get tangled up in such problems though he may not have any choice in the matter.

visualspice

Joshua sighed but thought nothing of the soup stains. He went about pulling out the wrapped rabbit from his bag and Katahnia offered to help him get it over a spit for the fire. He worked as he talked.
"Unfortunately, yes, I am being hunted by mordecai and trackers. A few of us managed to escape, though most were not so lucky. I'm hoping since it's been a few days they'll give up on me, but who's to say I'll even survive in a place like this." and he gestured towards te only window int he cabin. "This place is nightmare. Cold as hell during the day, and you freeze your beard and balls off at night." Then to Katahnia he bowed is head. "Pardon the language." Katahnia just smiled and shook it off. Sighing, he continued, "It's why they chose to put the camps up here. Not many would care to trek so far into the mountains. Unless you're from Hyoite, ad even that land is at least flatter and more at sea level, so it gets a bit more heat if you can believe that, then you're a glutton for punishment. The winds here are terrible from the north and offer no sanctuary to the weary. It's a frozen hell."

Paradox

"They might relent. It depends on who you are or who is chasing you, " Conall shook his head and picked up the empty soup bowls, setting them down near fireplace, " I have known some to be rather persistent and fanatical in their duties.  Logically speaking, they wouldn't be concerned. You are far from home and , no offense, highly unlikely to survive a trip back home alone." He shrugged, " Oh Hyoite isn't so terrible once you grow accustomed to its harsher environment and you adapt , learn to survive. Though I can rightfully say from personal experience that  being here alone is a little trying on one's sanity. "

He nodded, "Indeed. It's the perfect location for hiding dirty little secrets that the Grand Duke doesn't want the people to learn of. I had heard rumors of camps in the North . I just didn't realize that they were this far. Come to think of it, perhaps that's what became of the mage prisoners that were identified and removed to some undisclosed location. I wasn't sure what had become of them. Some said they were executed though I doubted it. The Warden of the prison would simply kill troublemakers or beat us within inches of our lives. "

The duke appeared thoughtful, "Perhaps the camps and mines are within reasonable proximity of one another. Not necessarily close , but close enough. You said they were in the mountains. Hrm. The mines aren't very far from here. About....two day's steady travel on foot heading southwest along the Kilanthros. "

visualspice

Katahnia frowned, taking in the information solemnly. As much as she wanted to help the mages there, they were but three, and who knew if either would ever want to pull off something so crazy as to try to 'infultrate' a mage camp. But to know so many were suffering...
She drew in a careful breath and tried to swallow it all down.

"Then we should head south east."

Joshua lifted his head, looking over at her as he nodded.
"Yes, we ought to avoid the mage camps at all costs. If we value our lives." And he laughed about hte mention of the Grand Duke and his 'secrets' and 'vanity' over mages. Then to the rabbit he looked at it, lightly poking it with a stick. "The rabbit seems about done. A little rare, but it'll add to the flavor." nd he took a seat and gestured to the rest. "Come, let us enjoy the food now while we can. If you wish, I would not mind accompanying either of you south. It has been... quite the trying stay in these mountains and by myself, I understand what you said more than you can know, Conall." He siad, gesturing to the duke. "Being a lone out here makes you go crazy. If even for a few days."

Paradox

"Indeed, unfortunately we do not posses the manpower to effectively liberate those wrongfully imprisoned, "He glanced sideways at Katahnia, not knowing exactly what she may have been thinking about all of this but guessing that she wasn't entirely pleased. He knew he was right , however, and though he wouldn't say it allowed he was certain that Katahnia knew why he wasn't so eager to throw his life away so recklessly.

He opened one of the packs he'd stolen from the mercenaries and removed a scroll of parchment from it, unrolling it and revealing a map of Connlaoth and the southern quarter of Hyoite. He held it out for the others to observe and pointed to locations as he spoke, "Hellvion is probably the safest entry point. I have some allies there , but it's a little out of the way from where we are. It might better to enter through Bellkrath first, which....could take us close to the mines and the camps but out here we should be able to see them well before we encounter them and evade them fairly easily on horseback. If we  hug the western border enough, we probably won't run into much trouble though that's entirely depending on how many camps there are and how spread out their locations might be. I had heard most of them were somewhere between Allar and Hellvion,  though I know that Melora- er.. the Duchess of Hellvion wasn't particularly in favor of having mage camps in her region. That's not to say that the Grand Duke didn't force her to change her mind. It would make sense that most of them would be here in Hyoite and not too far in because it'd be a hassle to supply any military outposts guarding these camps otherwise. "

He rolled up the map and nodded, "Yes, now's a nice time to break for a meal. " He waited until the other two had served themselves before he accepted his portion the the rabbit.

visualspice

Katahnia remained silent for most of the meal. As much as she knew they were out numbered, inside that blonde-haired head of hers, she was ever calculating something, anything to help those suffering. So internally she was at war with herself, despite her already knowing nothing would become of it. It would be silly to die now when she could formulate a plan once she was backk on her feet. They were but three survivors, not an army, and she drew in a careful breath as she peered over at the group.

Joshua still had his face in his meal, and Conall, she noticed, ate careful, due to his injury. SHe gave a small smile in his direction before moved on to finish her own. She was famished. After all, half of their 'would be' soup from earlier was ont he floor,a nd a bit on their clothing. SHe again, smiled at the memory, flushing lightly. The soup, what remained, tasted good, especially with soft chunks of bird broiled through it, and a dash of pine cone. And the rabbit also tasted like heaven.

Once they were finished, they gathered their things and cleaned up the place as quick as they could, and Joshua was impressed they had three horses.

"Well, as terrible as it is to say, I'm glad the men hadn't finished you off, Lady Katahnia. THough I'm sure you suffered greatly, the people back in Connlaoth will be moved to know you have survived."

Katahnia nodded sagely, keeping close to her stallion that sniffed lightly at her side.
"And I can not wait to get back to help those who suffer so. These are terrible times we live in. To think how radical the laws have become..."

"ANd how radical the entire land has become," Joshua agreed with a shake of his head. He peered up at the sky. "I'd hate to say this, but if we aim to get going, there's only about three hours of daylight. Not a lot of time to travel, but enough time to make some grounds. Do we have supplies to make a camp? To build a fire? If not, we should fill up with what we can while we're resting here, and move swiftly as far south as we can. Hellvion.." he stared at the map over Conall's shoulder now.  "It's pretty far west, though I think Hellvion is safer than Bellkrath. It would be wise to come down that direction. Hellvion is one of the least touched duchies from the war. I know for a fact Duchess Melora is not a supporter of mages, however, she is a vain woman and wants nothing to do with mage camps if she can help it. She sees it as a pox on her land." He rolled his eyes. "Not many mages live there to begin with, but wouldn't she be surprised t know there's our own safe house there as well? Not to mention the ruined city beneath Uthlyn. Those safe havens have been a god send."

"And we have the Free FOlk to thank for that. So many people have risked their lives already, so many people have died..."

Joshua placed a hand upon Katahnia's shoulder, offering her a smile.

"And Connlaoth won't defeat us. Mages are as natural born as your hair color. Just because those without the power are fearful and remain in ignorance to understand us, does not mean we do not have a place here. But come, what have we decided? I'm itching to move. We shan't linger less we risk exposing this place, or ourselves."

Paradox

Conall was silent through the entire exchange betwixt the two mages, his mare trotting slightly behind them . He didn't glean very much he wasn't already familiar with aside from talk of these other mage undercities. So the Obsidian Mantle were not the only ones hiding underground. How expansive was this world underneath Connlaoth? This bit of news was...disconcerting though it certainly explained how the Mantle managed to travel so effectively and swiftly without being seen. For now, he'd ignore this but once Connlaoth was restored to its natural stability, these underground cities would need to be explored and mapped for future reference and probably monitored for national security's sake.

"Just out of curiosity, how do you expect victory if all you have is a handful of dissident mages and the Free Folk? No offense, but you're going to need a far more powerful backing from someone with considerable political influence, military prowess and substantial affluence. In order to change Connlaoth, someone on nearly equal level with Calent Allarick must challenge him and those who support him . Before that even, they must persuade the majority of the other duchies to turn against the current Grand Duke. You need to find someone with the courage, charisma and tenacity to do that.  You need someone with the ability to unite the majority of the people and honor the common interests. Someone who actually cares to listen and know what the people want.... If you could find someone of that caliber, then well, then you have someone who could lead a real rebellion. You will never succeed without the support of the aristocracy, this I believe, " Conall shrugged, "but I am no mage and I am no one of great importance. I'm just rather observant. " 

His eyes turned southwest, "We have enough supplies to last us through the border crossing unless the weather doesn't work in our favor which is highly possible. I've everything transportable already packed. I always kept myself prepared in the event that I had to leave quickly for whatever reason, more likely than not if one of the soldiers from the mines ever wandered their way over here. I caused quite a bit of a stir with my escape, you see. And though I did try to be discreet about that, the Warden got in the way.  My fellow escapees and I had little choice but to kill him so I imagine that there may be some seeking to punish us for what we did. I know they were hunting me, but that was months ago. I broke off from my fellow prisoners though because I had no intention of making Hyoite a permanent residence. They all likely think me dead by now.  Even so, only a fool would assume that he was safe , yes? One can never let one's guard down. "

He paused to consider the next course of action, "I say we ride southwest for the mountains. There's better cover there and if we ride hard enough, then we could reach them possibly before nightfall.  With the tree cover to guard from the winds, we could better pitch a tent. I have one with me made of animal hides and furs but it'll be rather cramped inside. I didn't make the thing with the intention of sheltering more than myself. And sadly, the men that were after Miss Harmond didn't have anything adequate for this climate. I'm surprised that they didn't freeze to death, but I'd venture to guess that they may have stopped at makeshift outposts that were likely constructed around the same time as those camps out here. Anyway, we've wasted enough time chattering. Let's be off , shall we? "

Wasting no more time, they rode swiftly as the horses could manage, traveling southwest and reaching the foot of the Kilanthros though not by the schedule that Conall predicted. His estimation was off by little over a half of an hour preceding dark.  The horses were drawn together and secured with rope to the sturdy evergreen trees. An area was cleared for fire which Conall worked on since it was about the only thing his injured hand could do without causing it further grief. With a fire going, Conall unpacked his bags , handing Katahnia and Joshua the materials necessary for setting up the tent. Since they already had experience with such things, he left them to that while he sharpened his daggers with a whetstone.

Ooc: >> Fell asleep a couple times while writing this . Lemme know in messenger if I need to amend anything. I moved things ahead just a wee bit. X3

Btw...they should find the hotsprings and SHOULD be chased by nekkid guards no matter how little sense that would make ho ho ho!