Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hanging from an Ice-Cold Chandelier

Started by visualspice, June 03, 2013, 09:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"Yes, but.." the woman tried to press.

"But nothing," the man snapped. "If anything, Connlaothians see us as a lot more wretched then them." He shook his head. "You, sir, must be the most unluckiest of men to have been there, and then oh so graciously brought to us, here. But I digress, it seems you've got a fighter's spirit. Perhaps that's why they drug your sorry ass here." Then he paused to consider.. "Say.. who is your friend anyway? And what did the pair of you do?"

Obviously something was going down, for all of the guards were on high alert.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Conall couldn't even lift his head to see the man who spoke out in his defense, even if he did so without knowing a thing, "Friend...Kat." He couldn't manage her whole name, "I...Conall. We...met in...mountains. I don't...know her... well. I escaped...from ... mines. I..."he coughed, expelling a small amount of blood that had trickled down into his throat from his split lower lip, "We...were...just...going home."

It was partially a lie , but he didn't have the energy to share the whole of his story. Even if he had, how many people here would react as Joshua had and tried to kill him? Or how many of them would think him mad for claiming to be a man who was supposedly dead.

visualspice

The woman from earlier stepped forward, the one who had tended to his wounds.
"Come now, he's too strained for this. Hold your tongues and let him be." Sighing,s he knelt beside him and offered him the bowl of water the two children had got.
"Here, drink this. Perhaps it will sooth a bit of your woes." She offered him a slight smile. "It's the least we can do." Then upon hearing his name, her smile grew. "You can call me Lana. The large man is Drake, and well I'm sure when you come around to it, you can meet the rest."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

"Th-than..ksss, " Conall managed to say, but he stared at the offered bowl as he lie there on the ground. He couldn't move at all to accept it. How embarrassing. "I'm...afraid I don't have much strength left in me. They...were...a bit rough."

His thoughts shifted to Kahtahnia. She was being interrogated? Why? Did they suspect her of something? What would they do to her if she wouldn't or didn't have any answers for them that they sought?

He prayed to Ansgar that she wouldn't meet the same fate or even worse than Joshua had. 

visualspice

Almost an hour had passed before the guards returned and opened the cell. The other mages crowded near, but none of them daring to get near the opening of the door. They all knew what happened if they tried something funny, and enough of them had the scars to prove it. So when Katahnia was brought back she was thrown into the cell without much thought.

She fell face first in the dirt, ad remained there a moment before turning to Conall. She had a bruise on her lips that was bleeding, but other than that, it was hard to tell how else she faired, but once she saw his condition, she gasped.
"Conall..."
And she didn't have any more time to speak to him than that, for he was next, and the men picked him up roughly and began to drag him away.

Paradox

"On your feet, scum, " one of the men who had come to collect him snarled , grabbing a fistful of the back of his thick tunic and lifting him up. Conall could hardly raise his head to look at the guard through his swollen eye. His legs buckled under him and he collapsed to the floor. He was kicked in the side sharply by the pointed toe of a steel boot, "I said get UP!"

Conall would have tried if he could, but he just lay there until another guard showed up and took one of his arms, " Calm down, Henry. Can't you see the poor slob isn't even in a state to piss himself? "

The guard named 'Henry' spat and grabbed the other arm, "I'd kill him if the Captain didn't want to question him."

Together, they pulled Conall up to his feet and dragged-walked him away.

Conall lost all sense of what was going on or where he was being taken to. A couple times he stumbled, and Henry would yell explicit remarks at him which he wasn't really hearing. His head felt...murky, sort of. He couldn't focus. He was tired and hungry and so sore....

When the journey came to an end he found himself in a cold, dark room. The room was square, made of solid rock and stone with no windows and the only light source coming from a couple candles that rested on a lone rectangular table that stood in the room's center. At the table were two chairs, one on each side. One of those chairs was occupied by a man in heavy armor. Conall recognized the decorative armor of a Captain when he saw it.

Henry and the other nameless guard pushed Conall into the room and slammed the door shut behind him. Conall collapsed to his knees on the floor, dizzy and weak. He couldn't make it across the room to sit where he knew he was expected to. The man rose, " I heard from my men that your'e a troublemaker from the Kilanthros Mines. "

Conall lifted his head to glare icily at the man,  but he said nothing.

"Silence is not your ally," The Captain said slowly, circling around Conall like a hungry vulture, " you know, few men  escape from that prison alive. It's heavily guarded and with good reason. It's home to some of Connlaoth's most notorious villains. So, I must ask who you are."

Again, Conall simply glared and said nothing.

The Captain sighed, "Don't make me ask again. "

"You wouldn't believe....if I told...you." Conall managed.

Them Captain grabbed him by the arm, walked him over to the table and sat him down in one of the chairs before taking a seat in the other on the opposite side of the table. Looking at Conall, he leaned forward and rested an elbow on the table, " Who is that woman you were with? Why are you so keen on protecting her? "

Conall lifted his head and gave a short , derisive laugh, "Sh-she is....a f-friend."

"What else?"

Conall coughed, flecks of blood splattering on the table's wooden surface, " Tha-that's m-my reason."

"Who is she?"

"My friend..."Conall repeated.

The man slammed his fists down on the table and growled, " A NAME! I want her name!"

visualspice

"By the Gods, no! Don't hurt him!" Katahnia shouted, throwing herself at the guards in attempts to keep them away. Back handed, Kathania fell to the floor and went still. But soon was looking over, just in time for them to close the bars to their cage.
"C-Conall!"s he shouted, rushing after him as she latched ontot he bars, crying against them before slipping to her knees. She pressed her forehead then, tried to watch where they were taking them.
As expected, it was to the same, dark room.

Paradox

"I don't know. I never asked. I met her little more than a week ago," he wished the man would leave him be and let him rest. He was too tired for this nonsense.

"I don't believe you."

Conall sighed.

"But, we'll skip that for now. And you? What is your name?"
"Conall."

"Surname?"

"O'Reilley."

"Conall O'Reilley," The captain repeated and narrowed his eyes at him, " Where are you from prior to your imprisonment in the mines?"
"I am from Ardal."

"I thought I recognized the accent. So , are you going to tell me why you were sent to these mines, Conall O'Reilley?"

Conall did not miss the hint of contempt in the man's tone when he spoke his phony surname. Conall shook his head, " I was in there by mistake. I am innocent."

"Cut the crap, "

"It's not crap. It's true. "

"Really? Who framed you then? Who's the real criminal?"
"Calent Allarick."

The Captain shot up from the table , "I've had enough of your blasphemous lies!"

Fifteen minutes later Conall was dragged back to the holding cell and tossed in roughly with the others. He looked in even worse shape than when he'd first arrived with a whole new slew of fresh wounds covering his body which had been stripped down to a single layer. His woolen tunic was torn and soaked thoroughly in several places with his blood. Conall collapsed , face down on the icy floor. He didn't move.

visualspice

"It's best to stay back and draw less attention to yourself, " Lana said from the corner. "That way is best if you want them to leave you and your friend alone. Once they're done getting information from ye, they'll either kill you or leave you to rot along with the rest of us."

Katahnia's eyes stung wtih tears, those of which she blinked back before turning to face the other prisoners. Lana saw the tears and smiled.

"I'm Lana, Lana Gimble."

Katahnia nodded.

"You can call me Kat."

Lana nodded and moved to step nearer to the new girl, unlike the others, who still remained rigid and off to one side of their cell.

"Well, hello, Kat. It's nice to meet you, though a shame we couldn't have met on other terms."

Katahnia nodded, brushing some tears away. Lana frowned.

"Cheer up, there are worse places you could be, love."

"Worse places?" Katahnia smiled, shaking her head as a few tears slipped down her cheeks.

"Yes, you could have always been a prisoner of the church."

"The church?" Kat repeated.

It was then Conall was brought back in, tossed inside the cell like nothing more than a sack of potatoes.

"Conall!" she rushed to his side, scrambling to be beside him as her eyes grew wet with tears.
"You there, girl," he said, narrowing his gaze upon her. She looked up at him, her lips trembling before she set her jaw, eyes aflame, but vision blurred by tears.

"You bastard," she said, getting to her feet and going after him, but Lana held her back. The guard simply rolled his eyes and shut the door.

"Come morning, we'll be taking you elsewhere, woman. We have.... some more questions." And although by now the celldoor had been closed andd Katahnia finaly released from Lana, Kat slowly approached the cell door, staring back at the guard who seemed to be giving her a testy stare through the bars. And she did the only thing she could think of- and she spat onto his face.

The man stood there a moment, raising his leather glove to smear it off his cheek. Then he smirked over at her, staring back into her eyes that flared wildly.

"Oh, we'll have fun questioning you.." then he walked away.

Katahnia remained, trembling, and when Lana touched her shoulder, she tore away, then dropped over to Conall's side, hot tears bubbling forth.
"Conall? Conall please.." she spoke, gingerly shaking his shoulder. "Gods... Conall.." and she covered a hand over her lips as tears began to stream down her face as she wept over his unconscious form.

Paradox

It may have been a few hours before Conall regained consciousness again, he opened his one good eye and made a small noise which sounded like a coughing gasp. His wounds had been cleaned up a little, but there had been little that could have been done with him. The guards hardly seemed to give a damn whether their feisty new prisoner lived or died.

And he'd been given quite a brutal beating for being so audacious. The Captain promised he'd be seeing the Mines again soon enough! 

He tried to push himself up to sit, but his body gave out and he rolled over onto his back, staring up at the ceiling blearily,"Wh....where...?"

"Hey, he's awake." Drake crouched down beside the the duke, " how are you feeling, buddy?"

Conall coughed, his voice hoarse, "Wh-where's...Kat...?" He looked around, bleary-eyed and disoriented.

visualspice

He'd hear a noise scratch upon the floor from behind him.
"I'm right here," and when he'd turn to look at her, she threw her arms around him, clinging to him tight as she buried her face into his shoulder and grew quiet. She knew he was wounded, but gods was it ever good to hold him and just know he was alive.
"Gods.." she breathed before a few sobs. "I'm glad you're awake. I feared you might not live through the night."

Paradox

Conall turned his head to look her way and he winced when she embraced him. His body ached , but it wasn't an unpleasant feeling. It felt nice to know that he wasn't alone in this hell.  He forced himself to smile though even that simple change in expression physically drained him more than it should have, " I thought I ...was...gone too, but ...Ansgar protects...me."  He dragged an arm along the ground and touched her elbow lightly with a finger, " ...thought ...you might have been...too. I prayed. Didn't tell them...anything. They- will....probably kill me soon or ....worse. S-send me...back there."

He shifted his head a bit to better look at her, "Did they...hurt you?" She didn't look as bad , physically, as he was. But there were other ways to cause damage that weren't so easily seen. And those forms of punishment were far worse than what he was suffering from right now.

visualspice

More tears fell down from her eyes as he spoke. Gods, he was so pitiable. They had done a number on him yet somehow... somehow she had come out with only a few wounds. She didn't know why the men had been kinder towards her. Was it because she was a woman? What were they hoping to find? The questions they asked her had her going in circles, and when she had slipped up on a question.. it was then they decided to stop prodding her, and go for the man. Now seeing her mistake,s he could never forgive herself as she took his hand, guiding it to her mouth and kiss his fingers soft.
"Gods.. Conall..." she spoke, pressing his hand to her cheek. "I'm so sorry.." and her voice came out in barely a whisper.

And if only her magics coudl work here, but Angsar be damned! She could't heal him even if she wanted to, and found herself beginning so sob.

Paradox

"Don't...be. It...it's ...alright. I...was...a little...audacious. Had I ...kept my tongue in check...I would have been...better. But I...don't regret, I think the first time...they might have-I was scared for you...had to...do something to distract them. I...don't mind. It doesn't hurt as ...bad as it looks. " He was lying through his teeth , of course. It hurt like hell.  He chuckled, but the sound ended up choking in the end with a fit of uncontrollable coughing. "They...asked...about you, about me...heh. Didn't ...like...my....answers."

He closed his eye and shuddered, "Terrible to ....say, but...I'm glad to be ....here with...you."

visualspice

After he was done speaking, her entire body was shaking. She was crying, her body wracked with sobs that it was almost impossible to breath. Once she settled down,s he pressed her face against his hand and just let hot tears spill onto it until the wave of emotions went past and part of her finally calmed. Lifting her head, her lips still trembled as she looked at him.

"Gods.. Conall..." She moved her other hand forward now, the first now holding his hand, keeping it on her lap, while she moved to brush a hand though his hair, moving it out from his face.

"Maybe you should have at least told them something..." and a tear slipped down her cheek. "And perhaps spare yourself some of this."

Paradox

"I did tell...something...about ....me. They...don't believe my words...no matter what I say. " He laughed weakly and it ended in more coughing. "Makes...me...wonder why they ...bother."

Drake had politely given the pair the space they needed to converse , but hearing Conall cough so fitfully he'd gone to retrieve the water bowl that Conall had failed to drink from earlier. Now he offered it to Kahtahnia. "Here. See if you can get him to drink this."

visualspice

Kathania smiled, more tears slipping out from her eyes, and when the bowl was offered, she smiled over at Drake, then laid down to be more at Conall's level. She rested the bowl near to him.
"Here... you should try to drink something." ANd she coaxed it even closer. "You sound so terribly parched." Then she paused to consider.. "Do you.. need me to help you?" It seemed his limbs were worthless, and he didn't deserve to drink like a dog.

"Here.." she moved and scooped him gently, so that his head was resting on her lap. "I'll tilt the bowl gently, just drink nice and slow, ok?" She tried to smile. "I don't need you choking on this when I'm trying to help." Her lame attempt at a joke to lighten the mood, but hten she went ahead, resting her hands against his cheeks, and tipped the bowl, hoping he'd take some down.

Paradox

He nodded, the gesture so slight that it nearly wasn't noticeable. Had he just enough strength, he would have made the effort himself but he was as helpless as a newborn.

With his head resting now in her lap , he opened his one good eye and looked at her and then at the bowl she readied before him. "Okay,"came his quiet reply and he drank ,slowly as she aided the water to his parched lips. Had his throat not been so sore and tight, he would have drank more greedily , but as it was it hurt to swallow down what little he managed to consume. At the end he couldn't hold back his coughing anymore, choking on water and spraying it all over himself.

"Thank you.I feel a little better." Conall said after recovering from his fit in a voice that was slightly stronger than it previously had been, sounding a bit less hoarse.

visualspice

Katahnia set the bowl side, and gently moved a sleeve over his mouth, wiping away the spilled waters.
"That's good to hear. I'm glad I could at least bring you some comfort." She tried to smile for him, but it didn't reach her eyes. She moved a hand forward, gently cupping his face.
"Is there anything else I can do for you? Would you like more water? Perhaps I could remove some of my layers and give you a more comfortable bed for you to rest?"

Paradox

"A new pair of arms and legs would be nice," Conall chuckled at his lame humor , wincing afterwards from the pain brought by such effort. With a little more effort, which he knew he shouldn't have been wasting on the gesture, he raised an arm and rested his left hand, his wounded hand over hers ."Thank you, but ...you ought to keep those layers on. They'll keep you warm. I'd appreciate a little more water though, if you don't mind."

ooc: No, Conall. You're supposed to say YES! *facepalms* xD