Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Don't Shoot, The Messenger Is Behind Me! (Open to Wolves)

Started by Brisinger987, June 17, 2013, 02:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleineklementine

OOC: Sorry this is so short - off to post-SCOTUS celebrating!

BIC:  Zahi shook her head at Torak. "Right, no bets. You're staying where you are."

Brisinger987

Torak sat and waited for Rufus to show up. "So who is Rufus really? I have heard rumours abound of his identity, or is the information not privy to even the highest ranking members of your organisation? Have you ever met Canis Rufus? I did do my homework as it were, haha."

Torak was genuinely trying to enter some sort of discussion, but he didn't think Zahi would bite. He could feel it in his gut.

kleineklementine

With every new word out of his mouth, Zahi was finding it harder and harder not to give the signal that would release her Blood Wolf's crossbow bolt. Just a wave of the hand. She indulged herself for a moment by visualizing it. But, she knew, resigned, that opportunity had passed when she'd sent word to Rufus. Now what happened to this Torak was his decision, not hers. At least for the time being.

As it was, she gave Torak a cynical look. "If you had done your homework, as it were," she repeated coolly, "then I suspect you wouldn't have to ask."

And if you really think you're going to bait me into telling you, then it casts some serious doubt your your 'worth' to this orgnization, she thought to herself, but kept it to herself. She rarely said more than she needed to.

Aeytrious

Walking along to the holding cell, Rufus meditated, and focused on his control. Needless killing was something that really upset him, especially of innocent women and children. Annabelle was a kind woman who looked after some of the urchins that had been taken in as wolf pups. The child she carried would have been a second generation Soot Wolf. Those were rare, and valuable. Timothy's shop was an excellent front. He sold all kinds of meat pies that were popular amongst the guards of the city. One might think it a bad idea to have guards frequent a den entrance, but who would suspect it.

He didn't rush as he traversed the tunnels to where Torak was being held, and Chora caught up a bit before he arrived. "Did you call for me for the usual reason, or is someone actually injured," she asked with real concern. "You know I'm not fond of your techniques."

"I'm sorry Chora," Rufus replied flatly, "I'll be quick about it. I'm not fond of it either," he said, without any discernible sincerity. The truth was he wasn't fond of his methods, but they were effective, and really that's all that mattered to him. There was no pleasure or disgust attached to it, just thoughts of efficiency.

They arrived not long after, and the Blood Wolves guarding the door let them in without hesitation and he signaled to have the door left open. He nodded to Zahi, and approached Torak, but ignored him, looking to Chora. While Rufus focused on channeling the power of his eye patch to only block Torak's magic, Chora took out three potions. Red, green, then blue, she drank them down in quick succession, and a soft yellow glow began to emanate from her. She took up a stance, her feet spread and her head bowed. Arms extended toward Torak, palms facing out, she began to mutter in magic gibberish. A sea foam green glow started in her hands and then shot as a beam, connecting her to Torak. As the healing energy swept over Torak, Rufus went to work.

He was sure Zahi would have heard of his methods, but this would be the first time she would see this first hand. He stepped up to Torak and kicked him fiercely in the chest knocking him and the chair back. Rufus then picked up the chair and smashed it against Torak, shattering it to pieces. He proceeded to viciously beat the man kicking him, and clubbing him with parts of the chair. With the healing energy coursing through him, he would feel every wound as he received it, but none would leave lasting damage. After a few minutes of this, Rufus pulled his long knife from its sheath in his left underhanded grip and stabbed it into the soft flesh of Torak's right thigh, and held the man down with a knee on his chest. With his right hand he reached into a pouch and grabbed a wooden block with magic emblems carved into it, dropped it next to Torak's head, and then pressed the hand into Torak's throat.

"That wooden block is what prevents your magic but lets Chora use hers," Rufus lied, "it targets whomever I will it to. Now. If you were a Wolf, I would not have beat you, you'd already be dead. We do not kill unless it's necessary, and the penalty for wanton and unnecessary murder is death," Rufus turned the blade in the wound, "self preservation is the usual reason we kill, and the only group of wolves exempt from this is the Bloods. Of course I trust Zahi to keep her Wolves in check, she understands strict efficiency. I prefer the streets not run red with blood. We don't want the citizens to pressure the guards into actually bothering us," he turned the knife again, "our relationship with them is good. We have several guards in our ranks in fact. You would also be dead if I didn't think you'd be useful. If I ever hear again that you killed a pregnant woman who wasn't immediately threatening your life, I will make you beg for death. We are thieves, not butchers. If you want to spend your days killing, you're better off joining the Sirens," Rufus gave the long knife a third turn, "but I think its too late for that. With your thirst for blood you'd probably fare well in the Blood Wolves, but I want you to learn discipline. You are going to be a Shadow Wolf, a spy, silent eyes and ears to the Wolves. You won't be fighting unless you can't escape or your mission is directly obstructed by violence. With that teleportation ability, you shouldn't have to kill too often. Some Shadow Wolves have the honor of serving specific Wolves. You will report directly to the Red Jackal. If you step out of line, Zahi will kill you without hesitation. She's quick, decisive, and as cunning as a jackal," Rufus grinned at that, "learn well from her." He then let go of Torak's throat and grabbed the useless wooden cube, depositing it back in the pouch.

Rufus drew out his long knife and the wound stitched closed immediately. While all his aches pains and wounds would be healed, Torak would be mentally exhausted from the experience. Rufus wiped the blood from the knife off on Torak's smallclothes, then stood, sheathing the blade. He turned and gave Zahi another nod. He knew he didn't have to give her orders, she could handle it from here. Chora looked completely depleted from maintaining the constant healing on Torak, the yellow glow entirely gone now, and Rufus offered her an arm in support as they left together. The Blood Wolf guards sealed the door as soon as they had exited and the Red Wolf and the healer made their way back to the Den.

"That wasn't so bad this time, now was it?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Brisinger987

Torak took the beating as well as he could, but it was excruciating. Torak didn't make more than an a grunt or cough through the whole thing, and Torak knew that the wooden block wasn't blocking his magic. It would be odd to carry a wooden block just to block magic. Better to enchant something with more practical use, which was either a necessity, or a conscious choice. Like Canis Rufus' eye patch. It was very well concealed. And to focus it on something that he wanted, he just simply had to point it. Very clever.

Finally the beating ended, and Torak put himself on his side, just to recover from the pain. No injury had come to him, just a lot of pain. After the pain subsided, Torak got up. His clothes were bloodied. Bastard, ruined my crap clothes, Torak thought to himself.

"If you could let me out of my bonds please? I would like to get to work." Torak thought he might as well try and show some initiative. The beating he had just gotten was unlike any other, and for that, he respected Canis Rufus, and would not try and uproot his well earned command, but would keep it where it was.

kleineklementine

Oh, how Zahi now regretted not killing Torak when she had the chance.

The Red Jackal had watched with dispassionate curiosity as Rufus carried out his interrogation. She had, of course, heard of these methods, and she was interested to see it done. It was certainly direct. A little heavy-handed, a little theatrical... But that, after all, was how you made an impression. She wanted to interject that she certainly did not think that Torak would 'fare well in the Blood Wolves.' A third for blood was the last thing she wanted in her Blood Wolves. An ability to kill or beat easily, yes. That was obviously a necessity. But a Wolf who was bloodthirsty was a Wolf who was sloppy and undisciplined, as far as she was concerned. She had made it very clear when she assumed her new position that those were trains that would not be tolerated.

If one of her Blood Wolves had pulled the stunt Torak had with the Johnsons, she'd have killed him herself.

Zahi was not convinced that Rufus was making the wisest decision bringing the assassin into the Pack at all, but she silently agreed that he would make a useful Shadow Wolf. Until Rufus had added, "Some Shadow Wolves have the honor of serving specific Wolves. You will report directly to the Red Jackal."

Zahi's mouth opened to protest, but she closed it immediately. She would not, of course, challenge the Red Wolf on this. But a smoldering look in her eyes betrayed that it was not a task she took on with any great joy. She wondered if this wasn't something of a test - or perhaps even a punishment - after the way she'd ascended to her new post. She had a hand, in a way, however indirectly, in the late Red Jackal's death. Perhaps those actions had sent the message that her loyalty wasn't blind. Suddenly she wondered if this wasn't the Red Wolf's way of handling both Torak and her.

Of course, she realized, this was probably the wisest position to place Torak in. The easiest way for someone to keep a close watch on him. Someone with the ability and authority to kill him. She returned Rufus's nod when he left, the displeasure gone from her face replaced by simple consent.

When Rufus had left the room and his footsteps faded down the hallway, the Blood Wolf with the crossbow snickered at Torak. "Heh, sounds like you won't need all those weapons of fancy tin coat anymore."

He was silenced by a look from Zahi, but she appreciated his comments.

"Well, it looks like I'll get to keep an eye on you after all," she said to Torak, ignoring his request. She waited several moments, considering him and what she would do with him (and letting him be uncomfortable for awhile longer), before nodding at the Blood Wolf to undo Torak's bonds.

Brisinger987

Torak stretched his arms and groaned as he got up. He was in immense pain, but it was purely residual.

"I would at least like my armour back? My weapons, can wait, as you have said, but my armour cannot. It has enchantments which allow me to do my work. And I hope you don't mind if I continue working my original job on the side? I will try and conduct said job with more finesse though." Torak stretched again, standing.

kleineklementine

"No, you can't," Zahi answered firmly. This was going to be a chore. "And you're not in a position to tell me what can and can't wait. If you can teleport without your armor, which you've already shown you can, then you're already a step ahead of most Shadow Wolves. At least in terms of a starting point. You'll have to learn to do the rest without magical enhancements. Like everyone else." This wasn't strictly true. Some Wolves did, of course, employ magical items. But those weren't the ones who bought their membership with the blood of other Wolves. And, anyway, plenty didn't. And none wore such conspicuous armor. "If you haven't realized, that armor stands out. Soot Wolves don't stand out. And Shadow Wolves especially don't stand out. You'll have to learn to blend in and work like the rest of us."

At this point, Torak had said enough ridiculous things that she wasn't nearly as surprised as she ought to be when he asked if he could 'keep his old job.' Still, she felt like she was dealing with a child.

"Soot Wolves don't have 'other jobs,'" she explained sharply. "You are no longer an assassin. You're trading now in information, not blood. You work for me now, not for yourself. If you do any thief's jobs, the spoils of that will go to the Treasury. You keep nothing. Do you understand? The Guild will deal back to you relative to what it thinks you're worth."

"For now," she continued, "you'll be reclothed with standard attire that blends into the streets of Arca and that will be less... bloody than what you have no. And you'll be issued a knife. For now, that's all. Like Rufus said, when you can teleport, what more do you need?"

She raised her eyebrows, as if inviting him to disagree. Not that she'd care, whatever he said.

"These are the terms you agreed to when you entered these tunnels, Torak."

Brisinger987

"I, with respect, ask that you understand that my armour is precious and personal, and only fits me, as is the magic upon it." Torak nodded in silent protest against being given clothes that he would not like. But he had no choice. He would earn the armour back, or die. And he would not let the other wolves claim stake in his armour.

"Now that the petty details are sorted. What is my first job?" Torak was eager to get to work, and in his mind, he knew not to give up his moonlight job. Assassinations were part of his life. Even if he had to give his money over to the Soot Wolves. He didn't need money. It was nothing to him to have money. The respect of being a good employee was everything.

kleineklementine

"Let's get some things straight," Zahi said flatly, no longer hiding all of her annoyance in from voice. Now that he was answering directly to her, he may as well know that he was not impressing her. "None of these details are 'petty.' Nothing that we are discussing here in this room is petty. For you, in fact, all of these details are a matter of life or death, and the faster you figure that out, the easier it will be on all of us.."

"You can forget your armor. It's not part of the picture, period. If you bring it up again, I'll see personally that it's destroyed. I don't care if it would make you the best fucking spy in Arca. For now, it isn't being returned to you. Do you understand?"

She gave him a meaningful look. This wasn't a question of how valuable the armor was or wasn't. This was a question of Torak's ability to shut up and take orders.

"Now, you said earlier that you wanted to prove your worth to this organization, right? Well, despite what I said then, it turns out I am the one that you have to prove it to after all. So I'm going to give you some advice, in hopes that you listen to it and this trial period of yours," she said this deliberately to make sure that he understood his position was in no way guaranteed, "is a bit less painful for both of us."

"Look at Niklas here," she gestured to the Blood Wolf accompanying them. "Niklas is very valuable to me. He does exactly as he's told: quickly, efficiently, and without complaint. He's smart enough not to make demands of his superiors and to be firm and fair with his inferiors. I trust him because I know that he's loyal and disciplined."

"You may have some neat tricks, Torak, but your'e not worth shit to me if you can't fall into line. Every Wolf has to earn the trust of the pack when they join, but you're starting out with something of a handicap. Rather than having given us any reason to trust you, you've given us several not to. You've killed several Wolves. Showed that you're inclined to recklessness and needless theatrics with your dealings with our shop keepers. And mostly behaved like a sulky, obstinate child since arriving. You're going to have to work very hard, and very carefully, to overcome that. And not by popping to-and-fro around the room like a street magician. But by doing exactly as you're told, and nothing less... or more."

"So," she crossed her legs and leaned forward, propping her chin on her fist, "here is what I'm telling you to do: The Blood Wolves have two primary functions. First, to protect the Guild from threats from within - Wolves who are getting too greedy, or mutinous, or out of control, attracting too much attention to themselves - and second to protect the Guild from threats from without. Other criminal operations, gangs, thieves, and so forth. Obviously the bigger organizations are already watched pretty carefully. But you never know which small organizations might get bigger. So I want you out on the streets of Arca, mixing with small-time thieves and black market dealers and the like. Then you can report back to me - oh, every three days, let's say."

It was a task designed to bore him. But Zahi wasn't interested in learning about his physical or magical strength. She wanted to see if he could exert any self-discipline. If he could actually follow orders and put just as much effort into a job he thought beneath him as any other.

"And you'll do it without raising a single finger against anyone unless they are directly threatening your life. Not. a. finger. I don't want to hear that you've harmed or killed anyone, on or off the job. If someone insults you, walk it off. If someone challenges you, walk away. If someone threatens you, try to walk away until you can't. But again, since you already demonstrated you can teleport, I don't think that will be a problem. Don't let me hear you've gone against me on this, Torak." She gave him a long, measured look. "I'm sure that will be a challenge for you, and it's meant to be. Show me that you can rise to the challenge, and I won't discount you."

"Do we understand each other?"

She wanted to hear him explicitly agree to what she'd laid out for him before she let him out of the room and into the Den. If he wouldn't, she wasn't going to lose the opportunity to kill him here.

Brisinger987

"I understand completely. Quick formality note, do you have title? Is there a formal title I should call you? An organisation structured like yours would only know equals on a first name basis from what I have seen, not superiors. So what might I call you?" Torak smiled. She was showing phenomenal strength. He was enjoying the scolding more than anything. They clearly didn't know how to discipline him at all. He was still going to keep his side job. He would claim no affiliation. But he would not give up his profession.

kleineklementine

Zahi's eyes narrowed. She had the distinct impression that he was not even remotely listening. The 'quick formality note' just confirmed her suspicions, as far as she was concerned. She had no use for a personal spy or whatever this was meant to be that neither respected nor listened to her. But Zahi didn't seek respect or status through beatings. While of course the Blood Wolves, as part of their business, regularly employed non-lethal violence, she viewed that as a necessity of the job, of dealing with small-time crooks and Wolves with first and minor offenses. When dealing with her own, she thought this a bit brutish and, frankly, a waste of her time. Either you listened, or you didn't. Either she'd kill you, or she wouldn't. Zahi Akello didn't mess around with beatings.

"You can call me Red Jackal," she finally answered. She didn't, in fact, care what her inferiors called her, and several Blood Wolves called her by name. What she was called mattered hardly at all to her. All she cared about was the work they did and the manner they did it.

Then she turned from Torak to the Blood Wolf Niklas. "Take him to be issued standard street clothing and a knife. Bring him around to the Shadow Wolves and the Gold Jackal. I'm sure they know all about it, but I want them to all have a good look at him. Stick with him for a few days. Make sure he's acclimating."

She gave a call for the heavy door to be unlocked and the Blood Wolves outside complied immediately. This was the signal to Torak and Niklas that they were dismissed. She said no more. She'd already done a great deal more talking than she normally did. She wasn't going to repeat herself. Let him listen, or not.

Brisinger987

Torak complied, with about as much acceptance as possible for someone of his nature.

"Of course Red Jackal. So I get outfitted, and go and blend amongst the black market dealers, report back to you every three days. Understood." Torak already had a plan as to how to join the black market thugs, and to report in on them. If the Wolves could keep his joining of their organisation a secret, he could use his guise as an assassin to appear to be a customer, or potential employee even. He could get in close, listen and learn.

Torak walked towards the door to go and get suited up for the job.