Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Frost Hide (Bandit!)

Started by Listenbeastie, July 23, 2013, 05:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listenbeastie

The food was consumed quickly and the wounded animal returned his head to the ground a third time. He shifted without paying thought to the woman slowly falling asleep on him, the beast's tail curling up around his tucked-in legs. Once he was comfortable the creature licked at his nose quietly and shut his eyes; there wasn't much that he could do other than sleep at that point, either.

A Quixotic Knight

Stirring groggily from her slumber, the woman reached for the lantern at her hip. A small click was followed by another, and soon the last light within the tent was snuffed out. Then, darkness fell like a blanket over the small camp, covering everything in nightfall.

---

Morning broke over the horizon, drawing light through the snow like thread through a tapestry of white. While the two had slept, a small storm had blown over their encampment, whisking away any traces of their footsteps, and coating the small fire pit with frost.

The young woman twitched in her sleep, her body turned so that her face and forearms were tucked against the beast's fuzzy stomach. She was curled up, nestled deep in the furs - both matting, and otherwise - and yet shivered, still. It was not, however, the cold that awoke her, but instead a most peculiar cry from outside of their tent.

Bolting upright, the woman immediately reached for a hunting knife that was strapped to her upper thigh. Her hair was still awry from sleep, sticking up here-and-there as she lowered her body further against ground and beast, to eye the door.

Listenbeastie

The noise from outside was successful in waking the beast as well. What was once a relaxed, tired beast became tense and angry due to the interruption of his rest. Two frosty eyes lingered on the door and he snarled quietly. Somehow, he had the knowledge that growling so early into discovering a disturbance nearby was perhaps not the best idea.

A Quixotic Knight

Quiet though the beast may have been, whatever lurked beyond the tent was not quite so clever - or, at the very least, less than aware of it's surroundings. There was much kicking and rumpus in the snow outside, accompanied by the occasional whine and grumble. The sound from earlier was not unlike the disgruntled cry of some large bird - perhaps it was a beast of prey that had injured a wing, and fallen somewhere outside of the tent? A loud clang sounded throughout the clearing, followed by several smaller clangs and shuffling, all that indicated that whatever it was - or whoever it was - had discovered the cooking pot that the tall woman had left out the night before.

Slinking forward along the ground, the androgynous humanoid crept to the flap of the tent, pausing for a moment before peering out through the slit in the material. Outside, the sound continued on, until a loud thump could be heard in the snow, followed by the rapid crunching of ice and another thud.

"'Allo?" A voice cried, shaky, young, and clearly masculine. "S' any 'un 'round 'ere? I could - ah! - use a lil'... elp'..." The words trailed off as another crash could be heard through the thick canvas of the tent. "...Mama always di' say tha' folks shouln' talk t' 'emselves. Made 'em look awful lonely... ah-ah--!"

Without any warning other than his cry of surprise, a figure toppled back through the flap of the tent, landing flat on his back. His eyes were worked shut, tight, and his freckled nose wrinkled back. For all intensive purposes he looked, smelled, sounded, and acted like a young human boy. But then, why would he be in the tundra, of all places?

Listenbeastie

As soon as the boy was in sight the wolf climbed to his feet and made his way over hastily, growling loudly and licking his bared fangs threateningly. The fur on the beast's back rose as he realized that his leg was still injured but the splint helped to control the motions of the broken leg. Besides, he had three others he could use just fine.

A Quixotic Knight

The woman began to draw her knife, but slowed her motions, glancing back towards the wolf as he approached. After a brief moment of deliberation, she withdrew it completely, suddenly pinning the boy down so that he couldn't hope to move, unless he wised to fight her. The silver-haired woman pressed the blade close to his throat.

The sudden chill of steel against his neck startled the young mans eyes opened, and he pressed his body further back against the ground, a hitch suddenly rising in his lungs. Terror seemed to grip him then, and so she choose that moment to speak. "Explain yourself."

There was a pause as the human stared back into her face, and slowly, his lips parted, almost unsure.

"Err... ah.. M' sorry, missus, but fill-hosso-phee ain't 'xactly m' strong-sui--" The knife pressed further against his throat. "Aup, aup--" he swallowed, hard, "Me ma' always tol' me it wasn' nice ta' thre'ttn strangers! Per-" His eyes lowered to the knife, "-haps, we coul'... you coul'.. ask.." Sweat was beading on his forehead, in spite of the chilly morning.

"Why are you in my tent?" She spoke at last, enunciating each word clearly, although no trace of humor or pride slipped into her words. The last syllable turning into a growl.

The man blinked, stammering for a good while before blurting out: "I wa-wa-- I wa' lost!" Color was beginning to flood his face and he squirmed uncomfortably beneath his captor. "Jus' lookin for sum d'rections, back ta' town - I'll be outta yer hair in no time, swearsies! Or, er, iffin'... I mean, techhinacly, it'll ta' sum ti--" She tightened her grip on the blade. "--Thas' awful rude!"

Listenbeastie

The fur of the tundra beast stood on end an drool accumulated in sleep dribbled down sharp, yellow fangs. The wolf was more ready to tear the stranger apart than the woman who had a blade to his throat. After a small while of the boy's talking the creature barked angrily. Meanwhile, the leg in the splint remained held in the air.

A Quixotic Knight

The boys eyes slid from the knife, to the enormous wolf, and back to the knife. He repeated this gesture several times before swallowing nervously, his jaw and shoulders drawn back as though that could help him avoid the sharp sting of the knife. "I..I swur! I ain't go... I didn' mean no 'arm!" A small tendril of snot began to run down from out of his red nose, and he sniffled. The woman glowered down at him and then looked to the tent entrance in suspicion. She strained her ears for any sound that might have eluded her, beneath the ruckus he had been making earlier.

She shot a look back down at the boy, and his entire body seemed to wince, his eyes shutting tightly once more. Her grip on the knife tightened briefly, and then she pulled away from him, moving and sheathing her knife in one fluid motion. Impatiently, she stepped over the quivering boy, and tried to approach her canine companion, tentatively reaching out towards him with both hands and making a low, quiet sound.

The small intruder continued to tremble, seeming not to have noticed. Perhaps he wasn't the brightest apple in the bunch.

Listenbeastie

While the woman approached the animal's snarl softened and his eyes diverted from the small, quivering boy to her. When the gap was closed the canine averted his gaze and stopped growling altogether, licking his nose and staring back at the intruder quietly. Then the wolf rumbled uncomfortably, not really knowing what to make of the newcomer.

A Quixotic Knight

The silver haired woman stopped in her tracks and stared at the wolf, lifting a hand to run her fingers through her disheveled bangs. With a quiet sigh, she stepped forward and reached out to pet her large friend gently, glancing back at the terrified boy. She let him cower there for a moment, which he took every second of, before opening his eyes. The moment he seemed to realize he was fine, however, every trace of fear seemed to fall away and immediately be replaced with jovial ease.

"T'is a nice place ya' got 'ere! Oops, sorry, m' ma always said tha' it wasn' polite ta' ferget yer 'pleases' and 'thankyas'. Say, thankya!" He scratched at what was either awkward stubble, or some manner of alien growth on his chin, covered in scattered patches of dirt that seemed to cover his face. Suddenly, he snapped a finger in the air. "Righ, righ, righ. Gots ta' int'ro-doos m'self." The youngling cleared his throat and looked over at woman and beast, bobbing his head rapidly, with a grin. He jabbed one grubby thumb towards his chest, the gloves he wore frayed at the tips.

"Folks call m' Fetter!" He then extended that same hand to the wolf and the sharp-eyed stranger, chipper as ever. The woman's gaze slowly panned down to his hand, where she continued to stare at him as though he'd just offered her a collection of squirming eels.

He waved the hand in the air for a moment as she watched him, and began to laugh in a surprisingly genuine fashion. The laughter dwindled to chuckling, and he finally stopped waving the hand in the air to step forward towards the wolf with all the caution of a rock.

Listenbeastie

Fetter's rambling didn't do much to move the beast in one way or another but his eventual approach set the creature on edge. His fur stood on end and the snarl returned, his thin tongue occasionally slipping out to lick at his bared fangs. The wolf did not attempt to growl this time; his eyes were on the boy and he knew the visual display was enough of a warning.

A Quixotic Knight

The silver-haired woman warily remained close to the wolf, one hand lingering among his fur as she watched the boy approach. Fetter, for all of his cowering earlier, seemed completely oblivious of the danger of nearing an aggressive beast. His movements seemed to slow, and he reached into a decent-sized satchel clasped to his hip. The flap of the bag flopped up awkwardly against his forearm as he rummaged around, speaking so quickly that most of what he said was unintelligible.

"..An' so's I said t'her: 'tha' leaves're tha' best part!' n' she were all, 'Fet, boyo, yer outta yer bloomin' mind! Anywhoodle, this is fer ya, pretty beastie that ya are. Skip seemed ta like tha taste o' it quite a bit, though 'e'll eat anythin out o' tha' kitchens-- Awful nice set'a teeth ya got there, yes ya do!"

He withdrew his hand from the satchel at his side, a rather large hunk of some kind of meat clasped inside of it. The woman's eyes were drawn to his hand as he approached, half expecting the dire wolf to take it off of his arm at any moment. Curiously, she noted, the lads knuckles were very, very hairy. Unusually so, for a boy of his apparent age.

"C'mon, sweet thing, that's a good girl.. boy? I wont hurt ya or yer missus, none. Eh heh."

Listenbeastie

The animal continued to grimace, leaning forward cautiously to sniff at the meat. His ears perked up after a few seconds and he gingerly took the meat from Fetter. If the humans didn't knock off all of this feeding soon, the wolf would be thoroughly attached to them. Before eating it the creature backed up, lying down as to relieve itself of balancing on three legs.

Then it chewed loudly and contentedly, perhaps even forgetting that the boy was even there. While eating, it whined oddly, finishing the food in a short period of time before continuing to whine at them. It wasn't pleading or agitated, almost as though it was attempting to have a conversation with them.

A Quixotic Knight

Fetter placed his hands on his hips, beaming at the wolf cheerily, and seeming about as pleased with himself as a child in a sweets shop. The silver-haired woman looked between both him and the injured beast, the glances coming and going with a sluggish acceptance that eventually rested itself on Fetter's face.

"... hasn't anyone ever told you not to feed wild animals?" She asked, dryly.

The boy perked up at the mention of his name, turning his attention back to her. His grin faltered, and then returned just as quickly. "Wot - e's not your pet? I don't suppose 'e could be... wait!" He squinted at her, the gears turning in his head slowly. "...you're makin right fun of me, y'are! He's yours, righ'? Righ?"

The woman sighed and shook her head, turning around to kneel before the satchel she had checked the night before, before falling asleep.

"C'mon, thas no fair!" He whined, the smile still lingering on the edges of his mouth. "... kor! Dun' tell me... e's one o' them... fairy folk, iss'e?"

She continued to rummage through the bag, collecting a thick roll of roughly-woven bandages and looking them over thoughtfully.

"'E is, ain't e! Oooh, boy, I shoulda' known! E's 'uge! Thas' no normal wo-- wai, iffin' e's na' a wolf, wha' shoul I call 'im? Nancy? Na', na', thas a girls name... Jules! How'dya like the name Jules?" He chattered amicably at the wolf, pausing and laughing whenever he'd whine, if he did.

The armored woman sighed and shut the bag, shuffling over towards the wolf and crouching down once more, trying to get a better look at his injured leg.

"...'or 'owabout... Dragon slayer! ...na? Fangshide! ...Shelby? Nah, y'don't look like a Shelby t'me."

The woman groaned, quietly.

Listenbeastie

Not understanding a single thing the boy was saying the wolf continued to whine, eventually barking as he was listing names. Then the creature's attention was diverted to the woman who was inspecting his leg. It wasn't any worse than yesterday but it was impossible to see how much it healed. Couldn't have been by much, right?

A Quixotic Knight

As she knelt down to inspect the leg, she froze, her hand stilling above the injury. Her eyes widened and she unwrapped the bloody bandage a little quickly, still careful of hurting the wolf. She lifted her free hand up to her mouth, letting the bandages drop into her lap quietly. Nearby, Fetter continued to chat amicably at no one in particular, seeming happier each time the wolf barked.

The armored stranger placed a hand above the break, her eyes never leaving it.

Listenbeastie

The wound had healed rapidly overnight. What was once a gaping wound was now merely a small series of scabs while the leg itself did not seem to move out of place at all. It was a clear indication that the bone had already partially healed. Even so, there was still some of the injury present but it was clean and without any form of infection.

The wolf was oblivious of the woman's findings, barking more at Fetter as he grew more excited.

A Quixotic Knight

The strange woman remained silent, dropping the hand from her mouth at last. Without a word, she unwound the roll of bandages and began to rebind the injury, careful to ensure it wasn't too loose or too tight. Meanwhile, Fetter had begun to bark back at the wolf, occasionally letting loose a mildly convincing howl - you know, for a human, that is.

The woman's left eyebrow began to twitch.

Listenbeastie

The wolf turned his head briefly to look at the woman as she bound the injury once again. His ears flicked back and soon after he returned to growling and barking at the boy. There was a strain in the beast's voice that suggested he was just as annoyed as the girl about Fetter's constant ramblings.

A Quixotic Knight

Whether it be by luck or some small misfortune, Fetter's almost one-sided conversation soon deteriorated into a fit of cheery laughter. The woman continued to work, pausing only once to look up at the wolf. The glance was brief, some of the irritation creeping into her eyes, but not the rest of her face. She turned back to the chore in front of her, finishing it up in no time at all. With deft fingers, she tore the binding where it ended beyond his leg, wrapping and tying the roll up so that it would not come unravelled in her bag. Then, she flicked it behind her, sending the dwindling supply in with the rest of her things.

'..if he doesn't stop...' She thought inwardly, sitting up and rolling her shoulders back with a small pop as her eyes found the laughing boy. '..No.'

The aforementioned boy continued to laugh nearby, greatly amused by the sounds of the large beast. His eyes were shut with laughter, small tears pricking at the edges. Without much warning, and apparently no indicators to the child, something smacked the boy in the side of the face.

Fetter stopped laughing almost immediately, glancing down at the object and trying to pick it up. The item in question seemed to be a sturdy scroll of yellowed paper. Curiosity caught his tongue and he squinted, turned it about in his hands, and looked it over.

"...It's a map." The woman spoke curtly, and was next to him. The boy jumped briefly, but hardly seemed to notice it. "Oh! O'righ, righ'. Haha, gotta bit carried 'way, I did."

The silver-haired woman watched him with a speculative eye as the boy plucked at the leather tie with the tips of his fingers, never quite trying to open the thing.

"Eh heheh.. heh." He chuckled nervously.

With a sigh, the woman reached over and snatched the object from his hands, unrolling it into her palm and shoving it back into his lap with the soft crinkle of worn parchment. "Here." She pointed at a mostly unmarked region on the map.

"This is us." She spoke plainly, then dragged her finger across the wrinkled surface. "... This is your village, isn't it?" Her tone was matter-of-fact, sounding more like a statement than a question. The boy perked up, light filling his eyes with astonishment and simple joy. "Oi! How'd ye do tha'? I didn't tell ya were I come from!"

She lifted a hand slowly, to rub at the place between her eyes.

"It's the closest place nearby."

"Brill'ant!"

"Brilliant."

"Wot?"

The armor clad woman stared at him blankly for a moment, and he returned her look with a confused one of her own. She stood up abruptly, allowing the map to pop back into an awkward roll, and grabbed the boys shoulder. He flashed his teeth in a startled grimace as he was yanked to his feet and brushed off. "Good, good!" She said, her voice still as calm as before. "You look like you're in fit shape. Strong boy." Fetter slowly began to smile again, although that confusion still remained in his eyes, paired with a kind of nervous uncertainty. "Uh, miss-"

"Do you know how to read the stars?"

"Well, sorta, bu'-"

"Good, good... clever, too. Perfect."

"Miss, I-"

As he was finishing his sentence, the woman pushed him out the door of the tent, where he stumbled in the bright light of morning. He turned back to look at her, his mousy brown hair amess and his expression not unlike that of a kicked puppy. "--I--"

"You'll be fine."

"I, ah -" He seemed to remember himself and dropped into a quick bow, followed by another one, just for good measure. "Thank ya! Thank ya both, real kindly. I..I'll jus' be off, then! Ma' always said t'wasn't right ta' hang 'round when there wa' work to be done, eh heh!" He slowly backed off, as though looking for an excuse to stay, and then glanced two-and-fro for a moment as he tried to get his bearings.

"Your map."

"Righ'! Righ'." He looked down at the object and fumbled for a bit, unfolding the large thing upside down and beginning to wander off.