Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Negotiation (VowelOwl!)

Started by Klezmer Gryphon, August 22, 2013, 04:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klezmer Gryphon

The snow crunched beneath his thick boots as he made his way towards the distant smudge off in the distance. His cloak waved idly as he walked, blowing with the snow in a faint breeze. His furred face was hidden by his hood, which, like the fur it hid, was pitch black. This cloaked figure was Jy'aad Elveti, Prince of Death.

He'd heard about an army that was making its way through the tundra from the south, conquering small towns and tent villages like the one he was walking to. If it wasn't dealt with, he was sure his home Hyoite was next. The cloaked fox was determined that this threat would be dealt with.

"I am here to speak with the Winter King, Oddr," he announced as he entered the crowded camp. All around him, men and women dressed in furs and pelts looked out from their ragged tents at this visitor. They looked at him like he had just spoken in a different language, which, of course, made him tighten his grip on his scythes.

VowelOwl

Not a man or woman in the camp was unarmed or unwary of this visitor.  AS Jy'aad walked through through the labyrinth of tents he'd eventually find himself in the largest tent in the area. Made of thick furs and propped up by animal bone. Smoke billowed from the hole in the top, no doubt above where the fire burned inside.

Making his way inside, jy'aad would find a tent turned war room. A roaring fire burned in the centre of the tent. Straight ahead stood Oddr himself, covered in his furs and adorned by his crown, silently staring over a large map of the sionad as he planned his advances both politcal and warlike in nature.

As Jy'aad stood, Oddr slowly looked up, and with the piercing gaze of his icy eyes stared silently until Oddr broke the silence with...

"Speak."

Klezmer Gryphon

Jy'aad entered the tent, which, although smaller than the main room of his house in Hyoite, it could accommodate the two of them. He casually took a seat in the largest chair in the war room, arguably as a statement of his vast abilities.

"There is an large army coming from the south, crushing every sign of resistance. I personally couldn't care less of it came and conquered  your worthless empire of tents, Oddr.." He said with a grim laugh. Taking an apple out of one of the dishes on the table, he took a loud bite out of it, not even caring for common courtesy. If he got attacked, he'd just summon some skeletons to deal with the threat.

VowelOwl

Silently, ever staring at Jy'add, Oddr slowly rolled up his map and placed it into a porcelain jar set beside the table with care.

"I don't know who you think you are to come into Coldbarrow and expect...a warm welcome. Especially with the attitude you have."

Reaching over and slowly sliding the fruit bowl across the table before lifting it and placing it out of Jy'aad's reach, Oddr continued.

"But I have no reason to believe what you're telling me is true, and even if I did I'd have no cause for concern. This army is in the south? I am as far north as north goes before weak break under the blizzards and the strong freeze in their stubborn resistance of the natural unending onslaught of the snows."

The fire in the centre of the room gave a sharp contrast to every pelt and fur that covered oddrs frame as he turned around and reached for the Warhammer hanging from a weapon rack behind the table, continuing his dramatic speech.

"Every man who survives up here is worth ten of the milk drinkers that reside where the grass grows green and tall. Every woman the same. No, I have no concerns about this army. Especially with Hyiote in the way to take the beating. The siege will last all winter till the walls are smashed and the southerners are dead from their first touch of frostbite."

Oddr ominously walked back to face Jy'aad and leaned forward on the table. "So, tell me, boy,"

"Why are you here, looking to speak with the King of this "worthless empire of tents?"

Klezmer Gryphon

"Ah, that will come with time. For now, I will say this: they've made they're way up to Frost's Hollow, which is just about as far North as we are right now. Still think they're just pathetic milk drinkers, Oddr? No, I think not. And, further, I am sixteen years your senior. So just watch your tongue next time you decide to call me boy." He said with his wide, gleaming smile. He was going to get to his reason for being there, but, for now, he'd just sit back and enjoy annoying this Winter King. And, to get to that end a little faster, he propped his feet up on the table, and leaned back in the large chair. Judging by the look already on Oddr's face, he gave the guy another minute, maybe thirty seconds.

VowelOwl

Oddr returned to a full posture and slowly pulled the table out from under Jy'aad's feet.

"They could march so far north they start going south. It doesn't mean anything. They were not born here. They were not forged in the summers and tempered in the winters. This army, if it does exist, has not even seen a real winter. You keep speaking like I should be listening to you, but I have no reason to."

Reaching for a wineskin Oddr took a sip before continuing.

"So state your business, or leave."

Klezmer Gryphon

When Oddr pulled the table out, Jy'aad stood up and took to full posture as well, facing the wannabe king.

"Well, then, I guess if words won't convince you off this army's existence, then I guess you'll have to see it for yourself , wont you?" He said. As he talked, he reached into his cloak and produced his scythes. He was aware that the tent was small, but he wasn't tearing of slashing at anything, so it didn't matter.

"Now, follow me, unless you want to make an enemy of Death..." He said, and opened a dark portal, the other side of which led to a hidden spot overlooking the enemy. If Oddr needed any further proof, then this was the perfect opportunity.

VowelOwl

Oddr had magic of his own, and with his warhammer at his side, he thought, he had nothing to worry about.

Keeping his eyes locked on Jy'aad, he stepped through the portal.

Klezmer Gryphon

"See, that wasn't too bad... Well, except for the part that we're about five feet from the enemy!" He said with a hushed chuckle as he stopped through the portal. Before them stood arguably the mightiest war machine that the tundra had ever seen. Mighty siege engines looked on the distance, while troops dressed in steel armor hurried to mobilize to take out their next target.

"Ah, you see, they're not going to attack Hyoite first. They're going to surround it, and force it to surrender. And, in order to do that, they have to crush every last bit of opposition. Still think you and you're empire of tents will survive?" He said, holding his scythes close. As he was cloaked, and in a dark hiding spot in an ice cave, he had nothing to worry about, but it never hurt to be prepared.

VowelOwl

"My people have survived worse than wars with southerners. My people are not even on the radar, for an organization this large."

Oddr spoke silently as he observes the army.

"But you've proven your point that an army does exist. And there may be some cause for concern if they decide it is worth their time."

Oddr looked around to see if the portal was still up, as he preferred the warmth of his tent to the sheltered tundra

"However, I say again, state your business here."

Klezmer Gryphon

"Ah, right to the point. Shall we talk about this in the tent?" He asked, opening the portal again. As the two stepped though he turned to face the King, and said something else.

"And that act of mine was merely to get your attention. Now, do want to hear my reason for being here, or are you just going revel in the warmth of your tent?" He said, still keeping his casual demeanor, but he dropped the unprofessional mannerisms. They'd served they're purpose, and now he got to use his true skills; his power of persuasion and negotiation...

VowelOwl

Oddr motioned for Jy'aad to take a seat, but remained standing himself.

"Was that a serious question? Because I believe I've told you to state your business three times now."

He placed a goblet on the table, filled it with mulled wine and slid it across the table towards Jy'aad, if he was sitting or standing.

"Speak."

Klezmer Gryphon

Jy'aad ignored the wine, and remained standing. He was going to make his point.

"Well, aren't we impatient? Of course, though, I have been dallying, so I may as well cut to the chase. You want land, power, and a good future for your people, do you not? And, in order for that good future to be guaranteed, there are threats that need to be dealt with. Like it or not this army of southerners is a threat to your people, no matter how distant they seem. I can put an end to that, once and for all, on one condition. Now, before I continue, would you like to hear my terms?" He started, pacing around the room as he spoke. Grabbing another apple off of the fruit bowl, he tossed it to Oddr, a gesture of his people that Oddr was to speak.

VowelOwl

Oddr rolled the apple in his hands, inspecting it, they were rare to have this far north. He stared at Jy'aad sure to keep his eyes on him wherever he wandered in the room. Reaching for the mulled wine Jy'aad refused, he took a sip for himself before speaking.

"I'll hear your terms, but that doesn't mean I will agree to them."

He placed the apple gently on the table and quickly skewered it with a crude kitchen knife, sticking it to the table.

"Let's talk."

Klezmer Gryphon

"My terms are simple. I'll deal with this army in whatever fashion is necessary, all you have to do is leave Hyoite alone." He said as he stopped his pacing. He looked Oddr in the eyes, and continued his negotiation.

"However, there is going to have to be some collateral. Among my people, this is in the form of an object that has tremendous sentimental value, be it a family heirloom, a prized weapon, and so on. In my case..." He reached under his hood and after a few seconds of fiddling, pulled out the crimson scarf he wore around his neck, "it would be this. I belonged to my sister, and was the only thing I found when she disappeared years ago. And, should I fail my end of the bargain, it is yours."

He put it down on the table. It wasn't particularly fancy, but the crimson scarf was handmade by his step mother, who also made the cloak and hood he wore. He simply waited for Oddr's response.

VowelOwl

As a mage of Primal magic, Oddr knew the power of sentimental objects. All kinds of curses could be made using it, which made the deal sound very trustworthy, but that only made it more confusing, as he had no clue how one man could possibly affect an army, but, he supposed, the details did not matter, he could get them after the deal was made, and it was collateral.

Slowly, he reached over to take the scarf, watching Jy'aad for any funny business.

"You have a deal.  If you deal with this army, we will allow Hyiote to remain an independent city."

Oddr thought this may just be a ploy from Hyiote to get him to not attack their city, their might not be an army at all, but that would mean Hyiote had a formidable army at hand and either way, Oddr would want to avoid it.

"Do tell though, what exactly do you plan to do?"

Klezmer Gryphon

Jy'aad was hoping he would ask that. He loved scaring people.

"Simple" he said, and with a snap of his fingers, four skeletal body guards appeared in a column of violet flame, each armed and ready.

"Now, granted, I can't summon an army of these guys the size of the one that we face, but..." He started, and paused to think for a second. "I can, however, summon one about the size of Coldbarrow. I wouldn't need to kill them all. Just use superstition against them."

VowelOwl

Oddr seemed to be calm, but his eyes betrayed a sense of anxiety as he was now outnumbered, and even though this tent city had the army size comparable to a city state, he'd be long dead before his people could retaliate.

"...I see. Well, do what you will."

Oddr walked to the exit of the tent and held open the flap.

"Good luck on your escapades and please...deanimate those things and keep them dead on your way out of town."