Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

On the subject of inventors..

Started by A Quixotic Knight, September 12, 2013, 07:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Quixotic Knight

I have a character who I'm holding out on posting the profile of, on account of my not really knowing what to do with this particular trait... >>

One of my characters is an inventor. In a more futuristic setting, she'd be an engineer, but the setting doesn't fit that, and I'd like to play her with earlier 'machine' designs in mind. Just being her, though, she'd definitely tinker around and create her own devices (starting with the kinds of things you can make with wood, rope, and the like. Metal seems like it would be expensive and a trouble to melt down, so she'd use it sparingly). She's fond of mathematics and is a skilled craftsman. I was wondering how far, exactly, I could go with this? She tends to keep to herself, but in a typical scenario she crafts weaponry and items to aid in her quest to rob people blind. Nothing fancy, nothing cute, just practical devices. Like awesome crossbows!

I'm a little hesitant to do anything with it until I ask around, so... what do you think? Any advice?

Winters-Feather

i don't think futuristic-esque inventions should be a problem so long as you consider the limit of the tools/material that the world has to offer. So you can't create a camera, for example, if the proper mechanisms and chemicals haven't been discovered yet. However, you also have magic- meaning no, you can't have a car, but you can have a cart that pulls itself...  Also! different regons have different materials, and would allow you (or not) to do different things.

I think you're going to have to modify your character to fit the scenario, obviously. But having an inventor/tinker would definitely work, so long as you keep location, resources, and means of magic in mind, you're set

A Quixotic Knight

Thank you! That sounds perfect, I feel much better about writing her now.

Winters-Feather