Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Trouble with Treyburns [Zee]

Started by Ivory, September 18, 2013, 11:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

Even with his advancing years, Darryn Treyburn struck an imposing figure in his military uniform.  Though hardly a giant of a man, his squared shoulders and perfect posture made many assume him to be taller.  It was true, too, that his impeccable uniform and the air of authoritative disdain for those in his presence made men feel much smaller, so that the overall effect created gave most the impression of a hulking bear prepared to pounce.  Coming to know the man only confirmed the illusion; Treyburn expected the men beneath him to meet the highest standards and to obey his commands to the letter.  Failure and creativity alike were met with harsh discipline, while the rewards for loyalty and conformation were an acceptance into one of the toughest and most respected units in Uthlyn.  Treyburn's unit was known for their unwavering loyalty to their commander, the fierceness with which they fought, and a well-deserved arrogance that only fools questioned.  This was a man to be respected and feared.  He was the sort of man younger generations might someday make into a legend, should Treyburn be lucky enough to see the battlefield yet.

All of this Riordan Fontaine accepted without question, because he had served under Treyburn as a young man himself.  What he could not understand, however, was how such a man had sired Redly and Reagan.  It was certainly not for their lack of enthusiasm or ability on the battlefield -- both, in so far as he could tell, were natural soldiers.  Where their father was reserved and stoic, his sons were like every other young man under his command: young, brash, and more interested in women and drink than in training and discipline.  There was nothing wrong with that, of course -- they had all been young once, except, perhaps, for Darryn Treyburn -- but they were not the exceptional and singular soldiers their father had been even at Redly's age.  Well, there was no help for that, nor would he ask for it if there were.  He enjoyed the company of the younger Treyburns and their antics.

Except for this last one.  This last antic had nearly cost Redly Treyburn his life.  Fontaine had come to deliver the news personally to the senior Treyburn out of respect.  As a father himself, he imagined he could understand how Treyburn might feel receiving the news from a messenger, but, if Fontaine delivered the message personally, he could reassure the man that his sons were both alright.

Treyburn arrived promptly with his usual, businesslike handshake and grim expression.  "Fontaine," he said, cordial in spite of his soured countenance.  "What brings you to the Third today?"

"I have some news for you regarding your son, Redly."  Treyburn gestured for him to sit, then, and so he accepted the proffered seat before continuing.  "As you know, Redly is under my command in the Fifth.  He's alright, but there's been an accident."

"An accident?" the elder Treyburn repeated in a cool tone.  "What kind of accident?"

"There was a minor eruption.  The investigating officer reported that Redly had put too much powder into a device he had fashioned.  I'm sure you know he has a knack for such thi--"

Treyburn lifted a hand to stop him.  "He was wounded, I take it."

"Yes, sir," Fontaine responded immediately, though not without a frown of his own now.  "There was shrapnel.  He's lost an eye, and he'll bear some scars for the rest of his life, but he will survive."

"And where is he now?"

"I believe his brother has taken him home."

Until this point, Treyburn's voice had remained neutral, and the man himself was ever the composed commander.  It hadn't surprised Fontaine really, knowing him as well as he did.  It did surprise him, however, when he growled out, "What the deuce was Braxton doing there?  He has his own duties!"

"Braxton?"  Fontaine had nearly forgotten Treyburn's second son...  "Ah, no.  I've never met Braxton, I'm afraid.  Reagan's the one who's taken him home."

Treyburn said nothing; he was watching Fontaine so sharply the man felt like a cat who had caught the eye of a hungry hawk.  After a moment, Fontaine cleared his throat and shifted uncomfortably.  "Surely, you knew your son Reagan was also enlisted in the Fifth?  It's been, hell, five years or so now."

The senior officer nodded slightly, fingers stroking his beard in a way that always meant he was calculating.  "You're dismissed, Fontaine."

"Yes, sir."

----------

Redly had never been an idle man, nor was he a man who spent a great deal of time feeling sorry for himself.  The accident, therefore, was just an unfortunate set-back that had forced him to rethink his assumptions about the reactions of black powder under pressure.  It was a lesson he would not forget soon...because it all itched something awful!  The scars that had settled along his face, neck, and shoulders were healing slowly, and the new, pink skin beneath was driving him mad!  It seemed that no amount of soothing lotions would stop that infernal itch, either!

The only thing that didn't itch -- not like the rest of him itched -- was his eye.  His missing eye ached dully, and, even though he knew it was no longer there, his body, apparently, had not yet made that connection.  At least, he thought, his eyepatched looked dashing...

The sudden knock on his door made him look up from the rifle he was tinkering with curiously.  This little cabin out in the middle of nowhere had become a sort of sanctuary -- not only for him, but also for his younger sister.  Visitors were unusual indeed, particularly this time of the year...

Setting his tools down, he opened the door to find himself face to face with the very last people he had ever wanted to grace his doorstep: his parents.  Darryn Treyburn stood before him in his uniform, with his lovely wife at his side.  He knew better than to think his parents had come to check on him, but, even if that thought had a flicker in Redly's mind, Darryn quickly dispelled it.

"Where's Jana?"

The thunder in that voice demanded a truthful answer.  Redly lifted his chin slightly to meet his father's eyes unflinchingly.  His father's commanding presence had not worked on Redly in some time.  "I don't know."

There was a flash of recognizable anger in Darryn's eyes, and he roughly pushed past Redly to enter the small cabin.  Still a little unsteady on his feet, Redly was no match for the older man; he fell backwards against the doorframe, in one piece but now glaring in his father's wake.  Darryn ignored him entirely, instead studying the cabin.  "I know you've been hiding her in the army.  As Reagan.  Where is she?"

Redly felt his face pale.  How had they found out?  After five years, how on earth had his parents found out the truth?

Rose swept into the room next, looking like every bit the lady.  "You thought you were protecting your sister, Redly.  We understand.  But it is a lady's duty to marry, not to wear armor and practice swordplay with the men."

zozee9

Jana dipped the bucket into the quickly flowing river water, humming a happy tune that she was making up on the spot. It wasn't the happiest day—not with her brother losing an eye and all—but she had found that pretending to be happy was the best way to actually be happy. Plus, she figured, Redly had it coming to him. In fact, it was more of a surprise that nothing like that had already happened.

She lifted the bucket back up as she gazed into the river. It was shallow, fast paced, and full of rocks. If she didn't know any better, Jana would think that fish wouldn't be able to maneuver in it. But no, there were hundreds of tiny fish swimming by, unnoticed. They were uncaring of the giant thing that they lived in. Just like her.

Swirling around, Jana headed back for the cabin. The water was for Redly's healing skin. If she dipped it in some cloth and placed it on his wounds, she figured it might help dull the pain. That's what usually worked. Of course, the injuries she dealt with typically weren't as bad as Redly's.

Her humming got louder and louder as the wind picked up until she eventually started to sing. It was dangerous, she knew, since somebody might hear her. Her voice was low enough to be considered a higher male voice, but it was best to avoid any risks whatsoever. Nonetheless, she couldn't help it. It was as if she was adding her own voice into nature. It joined the wind, the water, the birds, everything. She loved it. Sunny days like these made her happy... because everything else seemed so happy.

She sauntered back towards the cabin, enjoying her walk. Her chest was wrapped up under her loose brown tunic. It was uncomfortable, but a safety precaution that she knew she had to take. She walked while swinging her arms dramatically, causing a little bit of the water to fall out. But if too much fell out, Jana just figured she could walk back to the river. It was a nice walk, about five minutes long through the woods. At night, she loved to practice by it. After all, the flowing river water covered up the noise of her hitting the trees.

As the cabin came into view, Jana suddenly stopped singing. The door was open. Redly, despite all of his foolishness, would never leave the door open. She quickly but quietly walked closer to the cabin, making sure to stay out of sight of the windows. She got close enough to see that Redly was in the doorway, and started to worry. It couldn't be thieves—he would have dealt with them. Could it be some kind of general? Or maybe a friend of his dropping by for a surprise visit? But last time she checked, generals didn't come to soldier's houses and his friends didn't even know where the cabin was.

Whatever the problem was, she wouldn't learn anything by staying behind the trees. And what harm could come out of going to her house? People knew she lived with her brother, she looked like a boy, and she had two daggers: one in her right pocket and one in her left boot. So Jana started walking the remaining twenty feet to the cabin, completely oblivious to just who were inside.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Ivory

There was no point in continuing to lie.  His parents knew the truth of where Jana had been these past five years...and, knowing his parents as well as he did, they weren't going to stop pressing until they had an answer.

"She doesn't want to marry that old creep."  He stepped further into the cabin, as if by moving nearer the vultures who were his parents, he might be able to rescue his baby sister from them.

Rose's smile was a mask she wore so well, Redly sometimes wondered if she even knew she was wearing it.  She was smiling again now, as though Redly were simply refusing to eat his vegetables -- the very picture of the ever-suffering mother and her endless patience.

"She's a child.  She doesn't know what she wants.  Let me see your face."  Before Redly could protest, Rose had taken his face in her hands and was looking the scars over critically.  She sighed dramatically.  "If you were going to hurt yourself, couldn't it have been while doing something heroic?  You're going to be hard to marry off now.  I told you we should have secured a bride while he was younger, Darryn."

"His face has nothing to do with his suitability, Rose."  Darryn, for his part, looked very unimpressed with his wife's fawning.

With another of those deep sighs, she said, "It has everything to do with it.  We'll just have to secure a marriage for you before anyone knows what's happened."

How had this become about him??  Redly sputtered a minute, feeling momentarily cornered.  It was a unique effect his mother could produce on him.  "I don't want to get married either!"

"Hush, now.  You can't expect us to treat you like an adult if you won't act like one, can you?"

Redly's face flushed in anger, and he half-turned away, as much to escape his mother as to make a point.  He caught sight of movement, then, as a shadow fell over the doorway.  Jana...

(OOC: Possible entrance for you, if you want to take it!)

zozee9

She heard talking. She couldn't understand it, but she heard it. Redly disappeared for a second, and she knew he was talking since she could recognize the tone of his voice. As she got closer, words started to become more apparent. Marriage, adult, and a couple of other things. But nothing that gave a clue as to who was inside the house. Well, maybe it was some father trying to marry off his daughter to someone in the army? That's what her own parents had tried to do, after all.

With the bucket close to her side, Jana took a deep breath. Then she put on a wide smile. She wouldn't want to come off as rude to guests. Well, maybe guests. She was still suspicious—surely Redly would have still closed the door if he had people over. That was part of the reason she was gripping the bucket so tightly: she could whack it at somebody quickly if needed.

She walked into the house.

The bucket slipped out of her hand, fell to the floor, and spilled its contents all over the place.

Her mouth was almost as open as her eyes, which screamed pure shock. The only thing that got her out of this state was the look on her parents' faces. Darryn and Rose Treyburn, the most composed people ever, seemed just as shocked as she was. Obviously they knew she was there—they wouldn't just visit Redly—but they must not have known just how much she looked like Reagan.

Just how much she looked like the boy that Darryn had murdered.

Her open mouth twisted into a disdainful smile as she asked, "How does it feel to see your dead son again?" Jana knew she shouldn't say that. Not for her parents' sake, but for her own. She didn't care if that question made her parents feel guilty. She doubted it even did, the heartless murderers they were. But if they knew that she knew Reagan was really dead, they were sure to report her before she could spread the information. And if they knew that she knew they killed Reagan, then Jana bet they'd kill her too.

But they'd probably do that anyway. They caught her committing one of the worst crimes in Connloath. Better have her dead than to disrespect the family. And they'd probably create some lame story about her death, too... nothing heroic. "Reagan fell into the river while filling up a bucket" or "Oh, our son? He got mauled by a bear" or "He just ran off one day out of fright of fighting and never came back". Maybe she'd have Redly tell a better story. Something along the lines of "My younger brother? He died while protecting my life from some assassins... and he managed to take all three of them down with him, too! Isn't that amazing?"

Well, no use getting ahead of herself. Jana had no plans of dying. She had to stay alive. For herself, for her siblings, for Reagan. Her dad was physically strong, she knew that. But he didn't know how strong she was. Nor did anyone—Redly included. She had no doubts that she'd be able to at least defend herself in a fight. Her mom might be a bigger problem. Rose was the master of manipulating thoughts. But Jana knew her thoughts would stay strong. She knew what her parents had actually done and hidden from the state. And nothing could make her forgive them. Ever.

So with the same look and same snarky voice, Jana added, "Great, huh? Well, it's great to see you guys, too. After... how many years has it been? Eight? Nine? Maybe more... after all, you two are looking pretty old. Especially you, Rose. Is that a wrinkle I see on your forehead?"
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Ivory

Even though Redly, of course, knew Jana was somewhere nearby, he looked more surprised than either of his parents to see her sudden return!  He also looked guilty -- after all this time, somehow, he had failed to protect her.

Their parents, however, scarcely missed a beat.

"This isn't about him, and you know it.  Just what the hell do you think you're doing?!" Darryn snapped, eyebrows lowering in a way that made him look particularly bearish.

Rose, however, took another approach.  She shot her husband a look of purse disdain, then floated over to her daughter with a warm smile.  "Darling, forgive him.  You know how he is.  It's so good to see you again after all this time.  How have you been?"

And, if Jana would let her, she would soon find herself engulfed in a motherly hug while her father looked on, frowning.

zozee9

OOC: Sorry for the late post!

Jana daringly looked Darryn directly in his eyes. The defiance in her face was clear. She would fight him if it came to that. And she would win. She had to.

But her aggressive thoughts were temporarily broken by Rose giving her a hug. Despite knowing how fake her mother's words were, Jana almost instinctively hugged her back. It had been a while since she had felt a parent's love. But then she realized that her parents never loved her, or Reagan, or any of them. Any love that was given was false and fake—just like them.

So instead, Jana harshly pushed Rose away. The push wasn't gentle but it wasn't too hard. It caused Rose to stumble back into Darryn, but that was all.

First, Jana looked at her mother. "I'm doing great, mother. But I'm afraid I can't say that it's nice to see you, too. Because one thing I'm not is a liar. Unlike you two." Then she looked towards her dad. "And pa, I always do forget that you're a bit slow. I'm in the army, of course. Fighting for my country as bravely as I know how. It's what you wanted for all of us Treyburns." She paused for effect before adding, "Or was it just all of the Treyburn boys? I forget sometimes."

Jana was tempted to look over at Redly to see how he was reacting to this all, but withheld herself. If she did that, her parents would take it as a sign of weakness. They'd think that she was doubting herself and wanted his approval or protection or something else completely false. So she kept staring at Darryn, instead.

Ivory

Rose and Darryn looked equally shocked in response to her aggression, even if it hadn't been meant to hurt the older woman.  For that matter, so did Redly...

Darryn's hands fell to his wife's waist to steady her, and the color of his face deepened to a dark shade of red that had never boded well for the children.  Sensing this, no doubt, Rose turned to throw her arms around her husband's neck with a sob.  "Let's go home, Darryn.  She's already made up her mind.  We've failed her after all!"

She was crying, and she was making no secret of it, either.

Redly's expression softened, but he made no move to comfort his mother.  He hated to see her in pain, because he hated to see anyone like that...but he knew her games as well as Jana did.

Darryn's anger, however, only rose at the suggestion.  He shoved the woman away, much more roughly than Jana had, sending her sprawling onto the floorboards as he stepped past her towards Jana.  "You insolent girl!  If you will not come willingly, then by God, I will make you obey me!"

Although a rare occasion, it wasn't the first time Darryn's anger had been taken out on his wife...  It was still disturbing to see, however, and it momentarily distracted the young man.  When Darryn stepped forward, then, Redly did what he always had done: he stepped forward himself to protect his siblings, inserting himself between their angry father and Jana.  "You will not make Jana do anything she does not want to do.  She's staying here with me, and you two are leaving."

Darryn stopped where he stood, sizing the pair of them up.  Behind him, Rose picked herself up gracefully, with tears still flowing out of the corners of her eyes.  "Darryn, please, if they wish to be left alone, leave them."

zozee9

Jana didn't care about her mother's overdone performance, but she did flinch when Darryn shoved her. Then she wondered why she flinched. It wasn't like it was surprising—the beast that he was. He probably hit Rose every night.

Jana was fully prepared to take on her dad. She wouldn't back out of this fight. No way.

But then Redly stepped in.

No, that wasn't how it was supposed to happen. If Redly stepped in, then he was voluntarily helping her. He would get in a lot more trouble this way compared to if he hadn't done anything. In the other situation, he could play it off as not wanting to disgrace the family. But now he was physically defying their parents. Jana froze up for a second, not sure how to deal with this new development. Her brother was too good for his own good.

Ignoring Rose, Jana finally said, "Redly, stop trying to play the hero! You were the one that kept trying to send me back home—now you can't suddenly change your mind and try to help me! We all know that you're on their side." Just for good measure, she gave him a nice push in the back. Nothing too hard, but enough to theoretically make him stumble. Or at least enough to prove her false point that he wasn't on her side and that she didn't trust him.

Ivory

Redly half-turned to stare at Jana, a look of surprise and hurt on his face.  He, however, wasn't the sharpest axe in the toolshed, and so he did not understand what she was trying to do for him.  Instead, he only squared his shoulders and set his jaw stubbornly, no doubt vowing silently to do what was best for his sister, whether she liked it or not.

Darryn did not seem to think much of the display.  He lifted his chin and stepped forward, breezing by the pair without so much as a parting glance.  Rose, however, seemed to compose herself enough to pause before them.  "He's not angry with you," she murmured, fingers reaching for Redly's cheek in an act of comfort...only to draw back at the last moment rather than touch the eye patch.  She followed in her husband's wake, not sparing even a glance for her daughter.

Redly exhaled as soon as the pair seemed safely outside.  His shoulders relaxed, and he turned his full attention on his sister.  "What was all that about?"  He looked a bit like a kicked puppy...

But explanations would not be forthcoming, sadly, as a group of soldiers appeared in the doorway.  They weren't just any soldiers; they were armed and armored, and each bore Darryn's crest.  The men didn't wait to be invited in; they stepped into the room as though they owned it.  "Jana Treyburn, you are under arrest for impersonating a soldier."

Redly's jaw fell open, but only for a moment.  It was just like his parents...  His face flushed in anger.  "You aren't taking her anywhere."

"I suggest you step aside, my lord," the sergeant answered crisply.  "Your father has authorized deadly force to be used against both of you if necessary."

zozee9

Without sparing a beat, Jana responded, "I hate that effing rule! I was not impersonating a soldier. I was a soldier! I trained as a soldier, I fought as a soldier, I lived as a soldier. And you say that I am not a soldier because I happen to have a different body than you cowards!"

Turning towards Redly, she continued, "And you're no different. You almost got yourself killed because of your stupidity! And constantly telling me about how weak I am due to my sex and demanding that I return home? I hate that! Just leave. Now." The words hurt her. She knew he wouldn't catch on... and that's what she wanted. If he figured out her plan, he wouldn't go along with it.

She wasn't going to run. She had enough of running. No, she was going to prove herself. Facing the sergeant, she answered just as crisply, "Eff you. You can't do a thing to me."

Ivory

Redly stared at her, his lack of understanding written plainly on his face.  He didn't even seem to hear her challenge, or the response of the sergeant.

"Arrest her," the sergeant commanded his men with a slight sneer.  A pair stepped forward, one in the act of unhooking a set of manacles from his belt.

It wasn't until they had stepped up beside Redly that the Treyburn heir moved.  Without looking away from his younger sister, he simply held out an arm to prevent the soldiers from moving forward.  "I told you," he repeated in a mild tone, "Not to touch her."

The pair of soldiers shared a questioning glance, then looked to their leader for confirmation.  The sergeant nodded slightly, encouraging the pair to push forward.  The one nearest Redly pushed by his arm, a bit roughly, clearly intending to simply walk by him...

...And that is probably why he failed to see Redly's fist hurtling towards him.  It caught him a bit high on the cheek, with enough force to send him stumbling backwards but not enough to put him out of commission altogether.  His partner scarcely missed a beat.  With a seething curse, he stepped up on Redly's blind side and caught the side of Redly's head with the unyielding iron of the manacles he held.

"Do not tou--"  Although there was more force in his tone, fueled by a protective anger on the behalf of his younger sister, that was all the further he would get before the other soldier's attack collided with his head.  Redly lurched backwards into the dinner table, spilling its contents underfoot as it gave way before him.

zozee9

"Redly!" Jana screamed, the horror clear in her voice. Why hadn't he just left? Why did he keep ruining her plan? Why was he such an idiot?! And those soldiers, they were going to pay for what they did to her dear brother.

He did nothing wrong. She wished he would've just left, but she should have known that the brother she loved so much would never leave her. No matter what she said. He did nothing wrong... but those soldiers didn't hesitate to beat him up anyway.

Without missing a beat, Jana lurched forward with ridiculous speed that no one seemed to have prepared for—especially the soldier that she managed to grab the manacles from. And by the time that he processed the lack of iron in his hands, it was already hitting him across the nose. Hard.

He raised his hands to his now broken and bloody nose and all Jana could think was, "So much for me being a weak girl, looser." Caught up in momentary pride, however, she managed to get herself whacked in the back of the head. After stumbling forwards a couple of steps, Jana spun around and tried to hit the other soldier.

He was more prepared, and managed to dodge her attack before landing one of his own on her stomach. She had taken worse beatings in practices. Jana tossed the manacles onto the ground, not wanting to fight dirty. Soldiers like them fought dirty. She would fight valiantly.

Or so she thought. But when the other soldier snuck up behind her and tried to grab her wrists, Jana didn't hesitate for a second before kicking him in the crotch.

Ivory

(Sorry for the delay in response...  Pre-con jitters followed by post-con slump!)

Redly, for a moment, saw only stars.  Once his vision cleared, however, his expression darkened to find his sister in the midst of an all-out war against her...  It didn't matter to him that she was a girl or outnumbered, nor did it matter that she was a trained soldier, nor that her attackers were following the orders of their father.

To him, he saw only that a younger sibling was in trouble.  He had sworn to protect his siblings, each of them, whether they wanted his help or not...

Without hesitation, he straightened and strode forward.  His hands fell on the shoulders of one of the guards that had been moving up behind his sister.  Grasping the armor, he pulled hard, effectively throwing the young man backwards.  Redly stepped into the gap his presence had left, fist already raised to defend Jana against another soldier.

As bad as things had been before, they were about to get worse.

"Draw your weapons!" the sergeant commanded.  He clearly meant to lead through example, as his weapon came free from its sheath first. "The Lord wants her taken alive.  Do what you want to the boy."

zozee9

(Lol don't apologize for delays when I've been delaying much longer...)

Jana froze.

Not because they were drawing their swords, but because of what the sergeant had said.

"Stop!" she shouted, her voice crisp and commanding. Then it weakened as she continued, "I'll go, I'll go, I'll go." Looking from the sergeant to the soldiers to the sergeant again, she finished, "Just leave him alone. He did nothing wrong. I promise. I'll write a testimony or whatever. You can do what you want to me. Just leave Redly alone."

Not once did she make eye contact with her brother. If she did, she was worried that her will would break. That she would weaken. That she would actually give in, instead of just moving the fight elsewhere, when the soldiers wouldn't except it...

After all, she could fight with handcuffs on. Once they had gotten far enough away from the house, she planned on doing just that. But she knew Redly. She knew that he wouldn't want her to sacrifice herself for him, even if that wasn't what she planned on doing. And he'd probably tell her to behave, and that he'd work something out with Darryn. So that she wouldn't be punished as harshly. And even if she got away from the soldiers, they might turn back to get Redly.

No, they wouldn't. Despite what the sergeant said, Darryn wouldn't risk Redly's life unless necessary. Not because he loved him, of course. But because Redly was the head of the family. And a strong soldier. Ending his life would cast a bad stigma upon all Treyburns. And neither Darryn nor Rose would allow that.

She would go through with her plan.

Ivory

"No, you won't!" Redly protested immediately.  He didn't dare turn to look at her, nor could he see her from the corner of his eye due to the patch.  Damn that explosion for taking his eye -- because, as he was finding, it was damned hard to fight with just one!  "Jana, you're not going to just give yourself up!  There's only half a dozen of them!"

Treyburn odds were a little different than in the rest of the world...  And Redly had never, ever backed down from a fight with anybody if it was for a sibling.  Hell, he'd never backed down from a fight for himself, either!

zozee9

Jana turned around to argue with Redly. Or, rather, tell him off. She dragged him into this mess, and she did not plan on getting him in even deeper.

But as she soon remembered, turning your back to the opponent was the first rule not to break.

Her voice still full of force, Jana started, "Redly, you need to—" She was quickly cut off. One of the soldiers jammed the sword handle into the back of her head causing her to immediately fall forward, unconscious.

Ivory

"Jana, look--"  That was all the further Redly could get in his warning.  Jana hadn't even fallen onto the floor before Redly was throwing himself at the man that had hit her, delivering a series of punches that left the surprised man's face bloody.

But now Redly was very out-numbered...and, between being in poor health to begin with and not being accustomed to only having one eye, things were bound to go south for him.

Two of the soldiers hauled him off their comrade.  He struggled, but there were two of them and only one of him.  And the worst part was, his position left Jana in his blind spot, so he had no idea what was happening to her...

But, he was about to be too busy to worry about it as the commander of this little troop stepped in to hit him.  Repeatedly.  Until Redly's world was swimming, and he wasn't sure he could have stood up straight without the support of the men on either side of him.

"What do we do with him?" one of the soldiers asked, his voice sounding curious.

Their leader rubbed his chin thoughtfully.  "Leave him.  I'd say he's had enough."

Raucous laughter filled the room, so loud they nearly missed Redly's reply.  "Fuck you."

"What did you say?"  The man sounded taken aback.

"I said," he answered, looking up and trying to focus on the man in front of him.  "Fuck you.  If you take her, I will come for you, and I will take her back."

The men laughed again, but this time a little more uneasily.

"Are you challenging me?  Well, well, well...  Guess I'll have to draw a little more blood to keep you down..."  So saying, the man lifted his sword...

zozee9

Jana woke up with an overwhelming headache, but she barely noticed it. Instead, she saw the soldiers beating up her older brother. And the commander looked ready to stab him...

Without any hesitation, Jana pulled out both of her daggers and lunged at the commander. She wasn't going to give him time to run. She wasn't going to give him time to beg for mercy. She was going to give him excruciating pain.

Most of the soldiers hadn't realized she had gotten up, and the ones that did were too slow to react. Her balance was still a little off from being unconscious, but she made it to the commander without much troubles.

And she stabbed him in the side.

She aimed the dagger, plunged it in, and twisted it while watching blood spurt out. She left the other dagger in her left hand, free to volley and immediate attacks.

Ivory

And, suddenly, there was a lot of blood...

Redly stared at the bleeding man, as did most of the soldiers.  The man was clutching his side, looking rather shocked himself.  He fell forward, then, as the pain claimed him...

It was a gut wound.  He would take some time to die...

Redly was the first to snap back into reality.  The surreal quality of the scene faded, replaced by a growing sense of panic.  That was a fatal wound; the blood oozing out was that dark, heavy color that meant only death.  And that meant...  His sister would soon be a murderer.

He gave a half-hearted tug to free himself and lurched forward as a result, just barely catching himself on a kitchen chair.  "Jana!  Run!  Go, now!"

She was too sweet to watch a man die...  It would destroy her.  Again.

"RUN!"

zozee9

She had been expecting blood... but not that much. Not nearly that much. And it just kept flowing out, forming a puddle on the ground. It was on the ground and on her hands and staining her clothes and she yanked out the dagger. Causing more blood to flow out, of course.

Jana was dazed, not fully processing what she had just done. Why was he bleeding so much? Hadn't she just hit some muscle? Her aim couldn't have been off... right? Or was it her lack of balance? She didn't know. Or at least wouldn't accept that she knew.

But she did know that when Redly said to run, she should run.

Still confused, Jana turned around and sprinted. Past the frozen soldiers and her stunned parents and everything. She just ran.