Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Ripple In Dark Waters (Brisinger)

Started by November, October 19, 2013, 03:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

November

The night was fast upon Arca, and even faster upon the night was a cape-clad figure that moved almost hauntingly through the darkness. The slums were quiet and still as she strode through the crisp, chill air, perhaps one of the only sounds were her boots against the stone. With her hood up and head down, pale-gold hair showing from within, she seemed intent in her destination, wherever that was. Seemingly oblivious to what might be around her, yet certain, she continued passed run-down taverns and beggars, with their stench in the air and leaving whatever noise they made behind her with little thought.

She continued through the narrow and dirty streets of the slums, fast and without thought, edging nearer to the richer districts, stopping for no one. In this place, tonight, she was planning to start something she had been working on. It wasn't big. Nothing she hadn't done before, that much was certain. The slums stunk, and while it wasn't an unfamiliar smell, unfortunately, it would never become unnoticeable. The more people there were, the more it stank. The bigger the cities got, the more people there were. These people never cleaned. They couldn't she supposed. That wasn't the kind of position these people were in. 

Then, after looking around for the first time since she started, she disappeared into a tight narrow alleyway, a dead end, near the foot of the rich districts. Knelling down in the darkness, she opened one of her belt-cases, withdrawing from it a simple rope and grappling hook. Quickly, tossing it in her hands, the woman examined it carefully. It would do, and it was all she needed. Looking up, she glanced at the height of the slum-buildings. She could climb, but as you got closer to the rich districts, the buildings became taller, and so she couldn't waste her time making her first move. For a few more moments she rummaged about, checking what she had on her.

Belle was almost ready for her job to be done in the pristine and perfect manor she had come to be able to perform.

It was, really, effortless.

Brisinger987

Veskos made these alleys unsafe at night. In the few months before the first attacks on small villages and other cities, they had taken their time with Serendipity, knowing that such a haven for mages would be difficult to conquer, because after all, anyone could be an angel here, and no-one would be any the wiser.

Instead the glowing yellow eyes and white and black mask that this city was haunted by stalked prey at night, killing and devouring mercilessly. The mask revelled in it. It was unnaturally quiet in the slums tonight, and it was Veskos' fault.

The White Mask had come to Arca.

Of course, the urban legends that surrounded the now legendary White Mask were very true. He could teleport, be in multiple places at once, was psychic, and was known to stalk prey for hours on end, and to leave corpses with soulless eyes and sewn up mouths.

So as this new prey entered the fray, he was intrigued by her lack of apparent knowledge of his presence. So he took himself to the far end of the alley she stood in, and simply stared, the mask grinning wildly at her, his eyes bright in the darkness of the slums.

November

If anything, when Belle did at last acknowledge the presence of this stalker, it wasn't with fright, with anger, with terror, or any particularly strong emotion. She looked over her shoulder and simply stared at the masked figure with annoyance. After-all, she was busy and the night wouldn't be here forever to shield her. The last thing she really needed was a fool in a mask following her. It wasn't so much the following that was the problem however, the problem was in that her business, was a sneaky business. There wasn't room for a tail making extra noise in place of her. She stared. Sighed. And continued on, rummaging through her bags, just to see if there was anything of extra use. Doing as any good climber would do, she dosed her hands in a fine white powdery chalk.

"Did you want something?" Her voice rang out in the alleyway echoing off of the enclosed space, standing up straight, white dust in the air around her as she rubbed her hands together, eyeing him with an uncovered icy-blue gaze. She let the silence fill back into the air along with the cold. Belle was used to being followed, whether she made them follow or they were just creeps, it didn't matter and she had her fair share, as any other unfortunately beautiful women did in these places. However, following her never ended in the other parties favor, much to the contrary, in fact. "Look, I'm a very busy woman; there are things to steal and pompous noblemen to kill in their sleep, so..."

Then came a movement of intense moment, or so it seemed, as a Halberd was called from another plane with a slow and dim light. Belle had taken on a stance to strike, both hands gripping the weapon as if she had done enough time to constitute a battle, with the pole-arm extended all the way to the other end of the alley, and the prong pointed at the base of the white mask that stood on the other end. "...I would much appreciate it if you would tell me what you want." She was willing for the moment to leave him in his vanilla state; she would alter nothing, give him time to perhaps be reasonable. Not that she imagined any man could be reasonable.

Brisinger987

Veskos' mask had been straight faced until he heard her talk. His mask simply grinned, the huge row of sharp razor teeth curving into place without warping the mask. He took a silent step forward, then his eyes narrowed, before widening again. Then he pointed to the rooftop that was lowest, which now had the real Veskos stood atop it, grinning.

Then suddenly the one on the floor was gone, and Veskos grinned, pointing to the next lowest rooftop, where he stood, an illusion taking the place of him on the rooftop.

"An intriguing specimen, that you are. But I will continue to watch. Do not worry. Only you can see me. I am like you. Demon." He had identified the magic as unholy as soon as she summoned the halberd, and this new potential champion was first in his list of priorities to obtain. If he coud have a champion...

"You will do just fine..." Veskos made himself invisible to the world, using an advanced spell to conceal himself from all eyes, even hers. To her, he would appear to fade out of existence, a ghost long forgotten, or some deathly apparition of a man in a mask.

November

Bringing the Halberd up, it vanished in her hands with the same dim light it has arrived in, leaving her hand gloved but empty. Belle snorted after the masked man had vanished in an attempt to either leave an impression or be showy. "You can think that all you like, man." She had a job to do. Theatrics weren't going to distract her, even when they did extract a grin, not necessarily out of delight. Picking up the three pronged hook again, she re-focused quickly on her task. She had things to steal and places to be, always wanted in some sense. With her free hand she pulled her hood up, and a mask appeared on her face, presumably coming from the same place as the Halberd had come and gone too as well.

Now no man nor immoral would remember a face only too easy to remember.

Taking the hook, she spun it in elegant circles about her wrist as it twisted, building momentum in the heavy metal object against the gravity. Stepping back, she analysed, once again, the stone orifice of the building, making up one side of the dim alley that enclosed her in darkness. The night was a comforting blanket for her when she needed it to be, and a hunting ground accordingly. Tonight, however, this night, was neither one nor the other. It was still, however, fit for purpose. A purpose she gave the night long ago when she first claimed it for herself. An autonomous bidder in the sea of corrupt faces that adorned the hall of night.

The illusive she-demon launched the three-pronged metal hook into the sky. It whistled at it cut through the air it darted through, eventually finding purchase on the roof of the building. Belle tugged at the rope, making sure it was securer enough to climb. Of course it was. With chalked hands, she began to scale the rope expertly. She had done this a million times before, and no longer needed to think about what she was doing. Her goal was the roof and then on to the prize, the mask hiding her face from everyone, even those who had previously lain eyes on the succubus.

At the top of the building, the city became clearer. It's candle light defined the homes and housed the souls of the many fine people that dwell under the shadows cast at night, and cast by their candles. She stood, atop the roof, breathing in the clear, crisp air. Her target was a fine looking building. Lit from top to bottom, ebbing with wealth. She could almost touch it.

Bolting across the roofs of the city, Belle was silent. The enchanted boots, that looked themselves a burden, quieted the footfalls of the beast that clambered gracefully through the dim, a fog descending slowly on the city. Leaping from roof to roof, gaining on her target, guards around the building became ever more apparent. She could see them. Red, orange, yellow, blue hued bodies pressed again their surroundings, giving off a heat she could read. There were two on the roof, two more on the top floor. Three on the ground, and one on each roof of the four buildings that surrounded it.

"Pft. They make this too easy..."

(OOC: Sorry this took so damn long; I'll pick it up for here. If there's not a lot for you to do, just gimmie a shout, I'll write the rest of this out, and we can pick it up from there, dig?)

Brisinger987

Veskos kept er in sight, completely invisible, before he simply used pure magic to take himself next to her ear, before whispering loudly.

"I am no man..." Boomed through the air around her head, contained briefly in a bubble that stopped the loud voice escaping. Then just like that, all was quiet again.

Around the building, the guards froze in place, before resuming their activities.

Until Veskos interrupted.

He teleported from guard to guard, killing silently and efficiently, and he had timed it just right so that the clang of the last guard's head against a metal gate, was overridden by the loud toll of a bell chiming out the time.

All of the guards had been killed in that single, deadly attack by a singular demon.

Veskos then made a show of appearing right in front of Belle, sword bloodied, mask grinning, before the teeth opened slightly, letting black mist roll out.

"Like I said, I am no man... Continue..." He vanished in the same instant he spoke, and behind him, the bodies of the guards were missing, and in there place, were silent black beings, demons of a high order, wandering the grounds, unseen by human eyes.

"They may look like just shadows, but they are simply removed Sheth. They have been taken from their physical bodies, and placed in the positions of the guards." Veskos stated plainly, audible, but invisible.

November

Her personal mission was interrupted very quickly, once again, and promptly derailed, far faster than ever she'd seen. And she'd had to deal with drunkards.  After a flashy show, Belle skidded to a stop on the roof, letting him continue with his cryptic messages and meddling in affairs that weren't his, as the multi-coloured bodies dropped from their posts one by one. They did not go cold. Not just yet. The heat-vision shut down, she didn't need it. Not now. It was useless. She sighed, taking her mask off, pressing a hand to her temples as the masked-man strode towards her, all too proud of what he had shown her. "Trust me, boy, you are. You just proved it..."

Bringing her hand down, she stared at the masked man with eyes of a calm fury "You certainly act like a man. You respect neither tact nor skill...nor boundaries. Just violence without thought. I know you, man." She threw her short cape back from her shoulders, shaking her long blonde-white hair out from under her hood, folding her arms sternly, breathing out condensate, a small mist of water-vapor. She closed her eyes, and shrugged. She turned on her heels, swinging out her cape once again, stepping silently without noise and began to move away. "Now, thanks to you, I'm going to have to wait a few more months before I try this again. Killing always sets the rich on edge, they can't hide it, and that's not the point." Striding to the edge of the roof, the mist descended still, those candles that housed the bodies of the soul, dimmed by the shadows of the night, and their candles, faded with the blanket of water. She could feel it clinging to her skin, the cold pricking at the flesh where it met open air like a long lost lover.

The she-demon paused at the edge, and looked out over the roof tops, just letting the openness of everything envelop her being. The only reminder that she still was alive in some way. No longer housed by the candles in the homes of the souls darkened by the shadows. No. She was the shadow of the souls now, cast by the night, or by the candle. Depended on your perspective. And she was the shadow in the light of their candles, for she had been a soul in the light of a construct. "You can replace humans with demons invisible, but that's not tactful. You can have a box full of tricks and no real way to use them. You can have power beyond all humanity and demonhood, but no way to make a mark other than a brief, loud noise." She snickered spitefully, and put one leg out, over into the street below, and let herself fall onto the cobble below.

Landing silently on the floor, she continued to stride, unburdened and unbroken, down into the dark night. "Next time, don't interact with someone you want to make an impression on, without knowing at least something about how they operate first." She chimed out to him, knowing that in some form or another, he would still be listening to her. "I'm not impressed by noise..."

"I am a fan of silence."

Brisinger987

"You think that. But what is more perfect than chaos I ask you?" Veskos appeared in front of Belle, and the mask opened it's teeth in a chaotic grimace, visibly letting a spew of black mist out of the mouth.

"Death." Veskos clicked his fingers, and a huge array of orbs appeared in his hand.

"The souls of the deceased. Generously donated to the army of my master." He snapped his hand shut, crushing the souls and creating new soldiers for Kirnardaz.

"So what were you originally going to do? Before I clearly came along and ruined everything..." Veskos spoke calmly, as if it were something casual. "And go on, hit me, attack me for taking all your work and ripping it to pieces. You could never do any damage. Might I ask your name?" Veskos had tried to enter her mind in the detectional margin he was allowed, where she wouldn't be able to detect him at all, but found himself locked out entirely.

((Sorry if this is short, am so tired.))

November

She laughed almost sinerely, as if she were apologetic for something. The fancy display wasn't impressing anyone, least of all her, who had very little interest in souls, granted the fact she had never really had a real one herself thanks to the persutes of her father much before she had been born. This meaning she couldn't use vanilla souls for anything useful even if she tried.. Pushing past, she didn't break her stride, shoulder-checking him closely. "So not only are you someone else's dog, but you also assume I'm as aggressive as your primeval lot? You truely know much less than you think you do."

"Men who think they know things are always the first to go, but that's not my job." The city that night was soundless, the two of them found themselves too far from a tavern to really have others noise thrust upon them. Prying eyes were not needed, though never truly a probłem. Rats in sewers, it was a close enough comparison. Not needed but certainly there. "If you cannot work out an alternative option to meaningless violence yourself, then you misjudged the effectiveness of approaching me, especially if you we're going to try and make an ally of me. If you can even say beings like you and me can form alliances." It was a true enough thought however. An honest one, too. Treachery and deceit was inherent to the corrupt. Alliances meant virtually nothing.

He asked her name. Her lips curled in to a sly grin, somewhat callous and amused. "Even if I told you a name, how would you know it was my name at all?" She wasn't going to tell him of all people. Demons liked to know things, they never asked if they hadn't already tried to get the information. She didn't need to detect him in her mind to know that. "I am not my name. My name is the least important thing I have." Belle stopped in her tracks and turned to face him, wherever he might have been. This time, she asked him a question "Tell me, hound of another, what is most important to you? What makes you someone worth the time of someone you thus far know less than nothing about? What makes a servant a master in his own mind?"

"You've tried to approach someone who values tact and skill using brute force assuming they care for it. Men like to assume and never think for a moment. Think for me. You said you were no man so show me something other than a man."

Brisinger987

Veskos smiled when she asked him to show off his true capabilities, and beckoned for her to follow. "I can use other methods when I desire, as I will show you now..." He took a moment to look around for a suitable nobleman's house to enter.

He took her towards the front gate, where the most guards were concentrated. "My powers, while limited, are not limited to brute strength. I have tact as you put it." He didn't even flinch as he walked towards the two guards stood outside the gates, simply walking past them, and through the metal gate opening it as if it were his property, before teleporting inside.

A minute or so passed as he searched the house, before he exited carrying the sleeping form of the master of the house over his shoulder, before exiting through teleportation.

"Tact. No deaths, and I put exceptionally small amounts of effort in. You were saying I act like a man? Well that is your proof. Now to watch chaos ensue."

Veskos dropped the invisibility around the nobleman, making the man kneel on the ground, which woke him up.

Then he snapped the man's neck, before walking away, leaving the guards in a chaotic scramble.

"I love chaos..."

November

Belle froze as she watched him complete his task. She folded her arms in a grim kind of remorse, closing those bright blue eyes, she sighed, heavy and tired. Even in the demon world men were never much more in front of the humans. They were no better. Granted, they were no worse, but they were just men, men with more power other than their privilege as men. They spoke bravado as if they deserved to. Planning, effectively, without blood, seemed an alien concept to any manner of man. Despite seeing it so many times in so many different types of monster, they all believed they were the one who would clear that set away. So far, they had all been wrong. Lying, or delusional. A great demon didn't need mind-reading tricks to think about things.

She walked away.

"A man, you most certainly are. I told you to think. Instead you killed. Your power means nothing if you can't go without using it. Like I said, it's all you prize. Your power, and you assume it's all others look for. Tact is not killing people silently. It's doing your job, making a tear through the balance, and leaving every soul alive. Make a trail, pull the strings. Make up a lie by making it true." She snorted in disgust "The rest takes care of itself." Any interest was thoroughly lost, not simply by the murder, but by the inability to listen. No man listened to a woman, not even to make a point. They don't want to. And, certainly, Belle was not going to get involved with something when those she would get involved with would not even listen to what she had to say. The idea was foolish. He, and more than likely, his 'Master', were only looking for large cannons to fire at an object they didn't understand, to make the loudest noise. It would be in vain. Loud noises mean nothing if they don't have a prelude of silence.

"Don't get me wrong, I kill. I love to kill. When I do, it's without my power. I do it with a blade, and the strength in my arms. You don't need anything more when you think." Words spat with poison. Nothing much had been expected of this man but at the least, if he were that different along with his superior, enough to say so, she expected, at the least, some proof. Certainly, that wasn't what she had gotten. Just noise. She worked at night for a reason. The prelude of silence.  "Run along, Dog. I think your master might call you to heel if you keep barking up this tree."

Brisinger987

"You truly don't understand do you?" Veskos stated simply, realising that the woman couldn't see his perspective because she had no concept of an end.

"You don't understand that I do not cause chaos for chaos' sake, but because it feeds mine and my lord's army. You do not know our plan. But you will have to. Or you will perish with the rest of this world. Kirnardaz has done it a thousand times before. You just can't comprehend our scope. It's all relative you see. When I kill that man, you see me mindlessly killing. I see it as me ridding this world of whatever strength that person provided. His death simply provides another soldier for Kirnardaz's army. There is purpose behind what I do, although you fail to see it." Veskos commented smugly.

"And I have gathered that no alliance is possible. I simply wish to converse now."