Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

What Money Can Buy [Eylene]

Started by Sabatris, October 24, 2013, 06:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabatris

In the middle of summer, the relative cool of northern Serendipity was probably a relief to many people choosing to come this way.  To Xirofel, however, it was something of a curse.  He missed the tropical island summers of Yoreiq, and though he enjoyed the thousands of unique sights and sounds to be had here, he also missed his home.  In his opinion, the adventures of the past few years had been quite enough peril for anyone.  Rather, the confinement of the past years had been enough for anyone.  Peril didn't bother him especially, though he wasn't fond of it, and he certainly liked having the freedom to do as he willed.  But trading was a lonely thing, and the cities of the mainland were nothing like his village, where everyone welcomed him with enthusiastic affection.  Still, it was better than being regarded as some exotic pet, he supposed.  Better to be alienated than trapped, right?

Sunrise had brought with it clear weather, and though it was still early in the morning Xiro was fairly eager to be on his way.  He'd brought a fair number of hides he'd had tanned -- the skins of creatures to be found further south, and thus, he hoped, they would be worth more in Darken Vei.  The city was visible down the valley, though it was yet some miles off, and he hoped that he would be able to reach it early enough to begin selling his wares.  Many nights had gone by since he'd last utilized a bed of any variety, and there was in his mind the insistent hope that he might once again experience a sleeping cushion other than the ground.  Besides which, his pack was heavy, piled high with furs and trinkets as it was, and he hoped to turn a fair profit.  Xirofel wasn't bad at his craft, really, but he hadn't had a lot of time to expand his financial hoard and he hoped that it would begin to accumulate significantly in the coming months.

Over his head, tall evergreens loomed, partially blocking out the dim light.  Though he traveled on one of the many footpaths leading to Darken Vei, the trader was wary of the shadows, and as he moved down the path he kept one hand on the knife at his hip.  One could never be too careful, he had learned, and there was no telling what would appear in these darkened woods.  With the sun yet not risen high enough to completely illuminate the valley, the forest was dark, and there was a damp chill still hanging in the air, seeping through his clothes and settling in his bones.  Best to keep moving, if he wanted to reach the city before midday.  The chill could be shaken off by walking, but it would be another hungry night if he didn't sell anything.

Eylene

Borcha was perched up in the tree, as high as he dared. Being large did have its disadvantages. The merchant will be coming this way shortly. His spy further up the road had informed him of that much at least. Now it would just be a waiting game, but he didn't mind. The dampness of the new day was already dragging sweat from him, but the relative cool shade of the tree he was sitting in helped a lot.

Not many people were on the road today, which was all good and well. He didn't like to carry out a job in front of witnesses. The merchant had ripped off some wealthy lord who wanted revenge in the highest form. Borcha didn't know what exactly the merchant did or why the lord wanted revenge, but that was not his business. The more you know of the person you are hired to kill, the more likely it is that you will feel obliged to be a judge in the situation.

Borcha felt better not knowing all that much. All he really had to know was what the target looked like and how many guards he would have around him. Anything more told is a waste of breath.

A single traveler came down the road, but Borcha dismissed him immediately. The merchant would be traveling in a group with about five guards around him at all times. Borcha shifted on the branch, trying to get out of the one spot that the sun found through the thick canopy of leaves. Being in the shade was bearable, but sitting in the direct glare of the sun would not be.

The branch he was perched on gave a crack in protest to his movements and Borcha cursed before he felt the branch give way underneath him.

Sabatris

If he gleaned nothing else from this encounter, Xirofel would take away from it the knowledge that to look up was as important as to look around.  When the tree branch abruptly snapped overhead, sending its weighty cargo hurtling earthward, the trader leapt back, knives springing into his hands seemingly of their own accord.  He'd been ambushed before, but never from so high up, and not generally in so clumsy a fashion.

And that in itself made him wonder if this was an assault at all.  Xirofel stayed his hand, though he shrugged out of his pack in order to be able to move quickly if the situation demanded it, and his gaze never left the taller man's face.  For indeed the would-be percher was a man, although what shape he'd be in after that fall was uncertain.  Still, the Yoreiqi refused to risk getting himself into a truly terrible situation just to check out the scene.

"Who are you?" he demanded to know, and to his mind it wasn't an unreasonable question.  'What do you want' would have been the next question, but somehow Xiro didn't really believe that the tree limb breakage had been intentional.  Maybe this was an accident.  Perhaps the man was crazy, or perhaps he just liked climbing trees.  Then again, the darkest part of his mind told him, perhaps it was intentional and perhaps he does mean to kill you.  And that thought kept him on guard, balanced defensively with his daggers poised for action, should it become necessary.  With luck, it wouldn't be.  Without, this could get ugly fast.

Eylene

Borcha lay quite still for a few moments. The breath had been knocked right out of his lungs at the impact. He couldn't feel if anything else was hurt, the shock of hitting the ground in the first place had to manifest itself in his mind first.

"Who are you?" Borcha started dragging himself up at the question. Everything was hurting, even breathing. He must have hurt a rib or two with his untimely fall.

"Get out of here, I'm not here for you," Borcha waved the man off with one hand. He did notice the knives in his hands, but that didn't really bother him. He had taken on armed men before, this man would be no different.

Borcha turned to survey the branch that lay behind him. It was foolish of him to climb so high up to avoid detection. Of course the slim little branch would break underneath his weight.

He could already hear boots on the road behind him, indicating that the merchant was now rather close. He had to get rid of the man with the knives if he was to be able to finish the mission.

Sabatris

Well, the stranger certainly wasn't dead, but nor did he seem to be particularly friendly.  Xirofel watched the man pull himself upright, taking half a step back to put that much more distance between them.  At the warning to get out of the area, the trader indicated the stretch of road behind the  former tree-dweller.  He too could hear the tread of boots upon it, indicating that someone -- though he did not know whom -- was approaching.

"I'm going that way," he commented, "and you're in my way."  Truthfully, Xirofel wasn't willing to go around the man and then be forced to turn his back on him in order to keep going.  That was a great way to meet Death itself.  As well, the Yoreiqi had no idea what this person wanted, let alone that he was after the merchant coming this way.  As far as Xiro knew, the man was just a two-bit highwayman chasing after people who looked like they actually had cash.

However, he couldn't stand here all day arguing like a couple of squabbling crows.  "Look, I need to get down that road and I don't feel like having my throat cut for it.  What do you want, if not to mug me?"  Louder grew the tread of boots.  Very soon now the merchant and his men would come into view.

The trader cast about for an easier way through here.  The trees were thick in this part of the woods, not easy to slip between with any kind of speed, and doubtless that was the reason why the big man had decided to preside over the road here.  What he wanted was a viable question, but Xirofel wanted to get out of this place if at all possible, without losing his life.  Hoping that it would serve as an added incentive, he added, "look, I've no interest in you at all, but I can't trust you not to stab me if I walk by, either."

Eylene

Borcha growled at the man in front of him. If there was enough time to kill this man before the merchant came around the bend in the road he would have considered it, but now this man was plainly wasting his time.

"Get out of my way, you fool! If you were supposed to die, you would have been dead by now. Be gone with you!" Borcha turned to the forest, but it was too late to hide. The footsteps were closer now and Borcha could see the merchant come around the bend. He was out of time. No way he would be able to pull off this job.

Borcha growled as he thought for only a second before charging at the man that blocked his way. Borcha grabbed him by the scruff of his neck and yanked him to the side of the road. He was not going to let this hit go by without a fight.