Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Gold for Silver [Open]

Started by SayomiDai, December 04, 2013, 05:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SayomiDai

Crystal was sweeping the freshly laid wooden floors, the hardened, scruffy straw bristles of the broom creating an ever-unpleasant scraping sound against the floor. This was why she always insisted on being allowed to sweep alone, it was one of the few noises she truly couldn't stand. She could also make any unpleasant face she wanted, and Allaina would have no idea. It was a time for Crystal to think in silence, and think she did.

Her sister, Allaina, sat behind the counter of their small shop with something in her hands. It was often hard to tell what she was making until it was finished, her blank red eyes staring at nothing as she laid out grid-patterns of silver rings before folding them together in a chainmail-esqe row to serve as a necklace, a tiny smile on her face.

Crystal scowled at nothing in particular as she swept her way around the room, while Allaina twisted beautiful, intricate patterns out of silver wire around a ruby. As the bell that indicated the opening of the door rung, the short albino woman looked up, flashing an almost sheepish smile in the direction of the door. It was fairly easy to tell from her perpetually askew, distant gaze that she wasn't seeing anything, and her slumped shoulders and quiet voice gave away her kind, quiet demeanor just as easily.

"Hello there! How can I help you?" Allaina asked sweetly. Crystal didn't even seem to notice that the door had opened, preoccupied by silent annoyance of some form.

deadlybacon7

"Hello, I am Eland, a newcomer to town. I am in need of money, and so am searching for a quest or job of some sort. Do you need any jobs done? Particularly any of the.. eh.. adventurous nature?" He leaned on the shop counter in such a way that a long, wide scar slightly showed on his right arm and the iron daggers in his belt showed, not that he needed them. He was a man of the bow, which rest across his back.

"Also, what weaponry do you have in stock? Any arrows?"

SayomiDai

Allaina smiled up at the man, her eyes almost managing to meet his, though skewed a bit to the right. Her blank, hazy red eyes gave a pretty clear indication that she wasn't able to see, and her warm smile was telling of her generally kind nature. She pressed a paper-white hand to her chin, tilting her head, "Jobs? Quests? Well, we wanted to get a new bookshelf built, if you have the wood," Allaina shrugged, flashing a crooked, mirthful grin.

She chewed her lip at his last comment, though, "Well if you're brave, a nearby bear has been harassing us for weeks now. Think you could handle it?" her words came off as teasing, almost trying to coax him away from the idea by scaring him.

"Er... not much. Chris has a few arrows I think, but she'd fight you before she gave them up. I can... engrave swords... though," Allaina's cheeks flushed a light pink at the idea of not being able to offer anything to a customer.

Meanwhile, Crystal was sweeping away at the floor. She didn't seem to notice, or perhaps the word was care, about the customer, annoyed about something or other. That much was clear on her face.

deadlybacon7

"It's fine, I think I have enough arrows. Both quests should be easily handled. I will provide you with a bookshelf soon and a bear's pelt after." He departed the shop, looking for a mill or at the very least a pile of wood.

Fortunately, it was a mill he found. He exchanged six copper coins for enough wood to build a bookshelf, but noticed one oversight in the process: he didn't have any idea how big the bookshelf was to be. A bookshelf is a bookshelf, he thought, and set to work. He used his iron daggers first, whittling the wood into smooth planks. He then took his half built shelf to a blacksmith and exchanged three copper coins for some nails. He had only four copper coins left, he realized; a cold reminder of why he was taking these quests.

He came back to his bookshelf and realized, he truly wasn't one for carpentry. He tried fiddling with the nails in every which way, but had great difficulty fastening the shelves together. He went back to the blacksmith and paid three more copper coins to replace the nails he had bent. After a solid two hours, he had a respectable bookshelf. It was four and a half feet tall and two feet wide.

Eland returned to the shop with the bookshelf, setting it upright on the floor, proving it would stand. "Here is your bookshelf, madam. It stands, it holds, and it should not be too terribly splintery."

Astral

Sonya really like jewelry the only problem was the thread or metal would burn or melt away anytime she burst into flames. Jeweled jewelry become nothing but jewels. It was rather irritating. Most of the jewelry she had was stolen if it wouldn't melt though she would be happy to spend her own money.

Sonya knew that Serendipity had many magic users so she was hopping to find some jewelry that fit her requirements here. Sonya flew low just above the village buildings scanning all the shops for something jewelry related. Eventually she found one. Flapping her wings a couple extra times to slow herself down Sonya landed right next to the entrance. She folded her wings up against her back to rest on top of her shirt. It almost looked like a really intricate shirt design only 3D and the feathers swayed in the wind. Sonya opened the door and walked in. She found some guy showing off a bookshelf and a couple girls who seemed like they owned the place. What Sonya was most interested in was the jewelry. Sonya rushed over to look at all there was. Her mouth was almost drooling.

"Do you have anything that won't melt under extreme temperatures?" Sonya asked hopeful that this would be the place she found something that wouldn't melt every time she burst into flames.