Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Monster of the northwatch mountains [Anadwen]

Started by Gabriel Graves, January 08, 2014, 03:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel Graves

The Darkness.

To many, it was a menace. Something to be feared, but not to Gabriel. A man who had grown up under the harsh light of the black sun, and traversed the world known as "the void" in it found a different thing from it. Understanding. Comfort. He knew that it was not darkness in itself that was evil, but how it was used. Creatures born in the dark were not inherently evil, but the predisposition to become evil was always there. Of course, this was all simply musings of an idle mind.

An idle mind in the back of a prison carriage. Gabriel was, at the moment a prisoner of the Serendipian military. Elvish knights whom although stern and cold Gabriel knew to be pure of heart. Part of him surrendering to them when he was accosted as he crossed the highlands was that Gabriel already knew of their "plight". Apparently he was convincing enough that the military was willing to believe him and take his assistance, but they were understandibly leery of the Voidwalker: his unusual appearance and the fact that he was human were things that tended to set their military ill at ease, and as uncomfortable as the ride was, Gabriel did not particularly care. If he had wished to escape and did not have the will to follow through with his will to help the elves, then he would have escaped already, despite their attempts to seal his abilities with runic chains.

The ride was quite bumpy, and although Gabriel had no idea where they were taking him, he was confident and calm nonetheless: judging by the small gaps in the windows, they were going across the northwatch plains toward the mountains in search of the "Beast" as it was known: A terrible creature Gabriel himself had been tracking before being taken into custody. A mindless creature supposedly akin to a dragon.

A creature Gabriel had hunted once, its image As familiar as if he had just seen it. It was of all things, an ancient wyvern: one of the less evolved and more savage creatures, hardly having the nobility, honor, pride or power of dragons but nonetheless a severe threat. Yet in all his travels Gabriel had not seen a creature of such ancient origin as that. Whatever it was, it was not native to the region.

And perhaps not even to this time or world.

Eventually, the prisoner carriage came to a complete stop at the foot of the mountains, a place where horses could no longer safely travel, and a place where Gabriel got the suspicion he would soon be seeing the light of the sun once again. As the carriage doors opened, Gabriel stepped out, still chained, and looked at his "captors" wondering what awaited him with slight anxiety...

Anadwen

Maedhran, riding in the front of their company, pulled his horse's reins back. The mount whinnied as they stopped, but stood still when he slipped off its back. The rest of the knights, along with the carriage, did the same, but most remained in their saddles.

"The road's too steep and too narrow to continue pulling the carriage. Let him out, he'll ride with one of us." he explained. By one of us he meant, off course, himself - he doubted that any other knight would willingly ride with that man behind himself. Two of his companions opened the doors of the carriage, and Maehran's bright eyes only watched as Gabriel stepped out. He was a strange man, at least to them, but as long as he can slay the beast, appearance didn't matter.

The elf dusted off his red hauberk and walked to Gabriel. "We can't pull the carriage any further. You'll have to either sit behind me on my horse, or run along." he said. His voice sounded hard, but there was no emotion in his statement - it was a plain observation of circumstances.

He was asked to lead this small company when no one else volunteered, and he agreed, though he didn't like the idea very much. Someone has to do this work - even if it's not his cup of tea. He shook his head. After two days of traveling through hills without sleep he was slowly beginning to regret it.

And they still didn't even see any sign of the beast.

Gabriel Graves

Gabriel noted the number of elves around him as he emerged from the carriage and his eyes adjusted to the surroundings: a small hunting party, likely enough to take down the beast if they caught it off guard, but they were likely to lose some men unfortunately. This was one of those times where the Voidwalker was starting to wonder about his decision, especially when a red haired mentioned that he would have to ride along on the back of a horse. Normally, Gabriel would not have had any qualms on such an action, but in this case he thought it extremely unwise, and he would not hesitate to let his newly-assigned stewards know it.

"...I don't think bringing the horses up is a wise decision. I know for a fact that the beast will actively seek them out, while humanoids such as us will remain mostly undetected. That, and if we end up on some sort of narrow mountain pass, which is likely, we'll simply be lining ourselves up for the slaughter. I will remain on foot: I can actively deal with the problem most efficiently that way. I would advise you to do the same. Also, if it would not be a burden, I would like to have these sealing chains removed: with them on, my abilities are not sufficient to deal with the beast."

Gabriel had taken this moment to question the decision for two reasons: one, the sealing binds really were problematic, since he could not summon his armor properly if they remained on him (if he did, it would be too cumbersome due to the restrictions the chains enforced on him) and two, he needed to know as much as he could about the red-haired leader elf and his decisions. Or if the man even trusted the Voidwalker, in spite of the situation. It was a necessary yet somewhat tense question that needed to be asked.

And Gabriel hoped the man would listen.

Anadwen

Maedhran narrowed his eyes. What the man said made sense - it may be problematic for horses to run up a narrow path, and they may easily become the prey like that. He didn't want to risk too much, as many other warriors and knights have been slaughtered by this beast before, and Gabriel appeared to know what he's talking about. He, however, still remained cautious.

"Take off his chains. Get off your horses and unchain him. Two of you will stay here to guard the horses, if we would need them to escape. The rest will continue on feet. You," he turned to the man, "will go right behind me. If you attempt anything - anything at all against me, or anyone else," Maedhran's left hand sled to the hilt of his sword, "we will immediately execute you. I'm sorry that I have to be this hard, but I have to, if I'm not willing to risk the lives of those around me. You are a stranger, and therefore not trusted."

The company listened to his orders. They jumped off their mounts' backs, and all of the horses were led to the carriage, where two knights took care of them. Someone else stepped to Gabriel to unchain him. Maedhran was carefully watching them all along. He would have taken off the man's chains himself, but in his state, it would take a rather long time.

All he could do was to hope he's doing the right thing.