Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fire and ice

Started by Anadwen, January 01, 2014, 12:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadwen

The bowstring, woven of his own raven-black hair, was tense, only his fingers held the long arrow back, softly placed on the dark feathers at its end. He narrowed his eyes. The elegant bow bent in his steady arms, aimed at the glade.

There it was. The deer's antlers were big and wide, divided many times, and its hide was glinting with silver. A magnificent animal, old, muscular and strong, its fur was clean and it was obviously healthy - a good dinner and a good bargain at once, if he sold the antlers and hide. It bent its long neck and fed on the grass, picking one of its hooves up a little and putting it down behind. Athran heard his own heartbeat in the silence... And then he let go off the arrow.

Its shaft curved as it flashed by the bow, the bowstring sprung back at release, and the tip of the arrow crossed the air in a graceful arch. Athran's arms dropped down, his fingers still clenched around the wood. His arrow hit the hart's neck, pierced its hide and skewed deep into its flesh, hitting one of the thick veins. All but the black-feathered end disappeared in the animal's body. It immediately collapsed, its legs no longer carried it, and the deer dropped onto the ground.

Athran's lips twisted into a bleak grin. A perfect, clean kill, like always. His aim rarely missed even in his youth, and nowadays, he hasn't yet met a target he couldn't hit. His eyes were keen and his hands steady. There was no animal too difficult to hunt down, and a common hart was in no means even a challenge.

He put his bow back to its place on his back and begun walking towards his catch.

Brisinger987

Icyck's white hair and ice blue eyes were probably the most unsightly things in this forest. Had it not been for the fact the elf was focused on his prey, he would have been noticed. But Icyck was hungry, and ill. He needed the elf to shoot the deer so he could take it. He didn't care that it was unfair. Elves were just humans with long lives to him right now.

He let the transformation  begin in his arms and legs, only affecting the muscles. He would have to change completely soon, but for now he could support just muscles. Icyck felt the cold frost on his skin melt from the energy release, and knew he had to move fast now.

So it was that he darted out of the brush, and straight for the deer, picking it up and running as fast as he could to the nearest village, hoping the elf would lose him in the dense market of the nearby village.

"Thanks for the game, mortal!" He added insult to injury because he was desperate and lacking in any care for the Elf.

Anadwen

Athran's jaw dropped as he watched the strange, pale figure run out of the forest and snatch the hart from in front of him. He only felt a cold breeze pick up his hair, and the stranger was gone - and so was the deer. His ears only caught the rude insult he shouted.

In a moment, he leaped from the ground and sprinted after him. A mortal! Let's see who's mortal in here! He was not willing to let him just carry such a good catch away, and with it the vision of a few coins and tasty dinner, being too lazy to search for another prey, and too enraged that someone even dared to try and rob him of what was rightfully his.

His eyes flashed with fire, but he stopped the flames from appearing above his skin. This wasn't the time to burn, it was the time to run, and running he was - as fast as he could. The ground was a colorful mesh under his feet that touched it so fleetly that Athran appeared to be flying, rather than running.

"You'll be so darn sorry!" he shouted. "Thieving filth!" He never let an insult unanswered, but nothing better came onto his mind.

Brisinger987

Icyck could only feel the warm, moist ground under his feet. He had no idea that wherever he set his foot he left a trail of frost that gave away his exact path. He was sprinting for his life, hearing the elf shout back at him, and he simply found himself running faster.

Seeing a thick tree wall blocking his path, Icyck did the only thing he though he could do. Blasted them with ice at his should height, and form an ice shield on his shoulder, diving into the ice, smashing it, and the tree with it, bringing three of the trees down on the side he had exited, although he managed to dart to the side to avoid being crushed.

"Sorry, you weren't in any hurry for it, so I assumed you weren't as hungry." He muttered to himself, laying ice pools behind him in hopes of slipping the elf up and escaping.

Anadwen

Athran only watched the figure before him flashing between the trees, further and further away from him by ever moment. This wasn't an ordinary mortal... There was ice on the ground, giving out the way he followed. In summer.

He could no longer stop the flames. Unlike with other mages, they were not something he could only wake consciously, and he found himself on fire every time something enraged him. They begun blazing on his clenched fists, but fortunately remained there, and didn't spread onto his entire body. He sped up, raced through the forest as quickly as he could, tense as the bow that he held only a while ago.

It was only luck that he leaped into the air right before facing a fallen tree across his path, otherwise he would have tripped on its trunk. It was broken, its bark glazed with ice, and he would have sworn it wasn't there when he strode through the woods a while ago. It must have been that stranger... Thief. Not Stranger. Thieves don't deserve to be called something like that.

Pools of ice, quickly melting, begun appearing on the ground as they drew closer to a small village. The trees started getting thin, and their trunks flashed beside him more scarcely than before. It didn't matter much for him - he was fast on the soft ground of the forest just as on the stones of roads. He'll get that thief. And his dinner back.

Brisinger987

After several stunts and a hard time trying to get ahead of the elf, Icyck exited into a clearing, sprinting into the village opening. And the dense market was closed, with almost no-one in sight. Icyck panicked, looking around for an escape.

He had nowhere to run, and he could feel the transformation burning him now, and he desperately ran down the first alley he could see, setting the deer down. He had no idea if the hunter-elf had followed him this far, although he sincerely hoped not, and he had to go through the transformation now.

Icyck fell to his knees after turning to see the elf approaching, the agonising burn of the energy he was containing too much to bear. Then he turned to look for an escape, before seeing that he had closed himself in. His only hope now was to change to hybrid form, as the alley was simply too small for him to change to full dragon form.

The air around Icyck began too fill with ice, until nothing but a solid cube of ice remained. It was pure white, and nothing was visible through it.  After a few seconds, it began to crack, and through it sound and light came.

"Aaaaarrrrrrgggghhh!" The ice began to crack and pop violently, before it exploded completely, revealing his hybrid form, which came to stand.

"Bring it, elf."

Anadwen

Athran stepped back, watching as the thief turned into a strange creature, closely resembling a dragon, in an explosion of ice right before his eyes. His hands gripped around the edge of his sword, but didn't draw it yet - he was only observing, searching for a weak spot on the body of his opponent.

"Give me back what's mine and get lost." he winged off. No matter how strange, it was but a robber to him, unworthy his attention or energy. His anger turned into a strange mixture of wonder, disgust and sorrow, but he was still determined to get his hart back. He could see his very own arrow in its neck, the black feathers that adorned every of his catches.

"I'm not going to bother with you. Give it back, and I'll leave you alone." His voice was hard, but lacked any amusement. Then the memory of the insult came back onto his mind, fresh and still burning him. Maybe I am in the mood to fight, after all.

His hands drew the sword from its sheath, fire briefly flashed on the blade. He pointed it at the deer's corpse.
"I'm waiting." And ready to stab you if you try to oppose me.

Brisinger987

Icyck stretched his wings, and felt his scales cool, soothing all pain he felt. He felt more confident now, and in his confidence, he decided a fight would be fun. He could rid the world of one more non-dragon scumbag in his eyes.

"No. You were in no rush to pick it up until I took it. You're obviously better fed than me." Icyck formed a long shafted ice spear and a shield of pure ice. He would revert to aerial combat when the time came. Aerial combat was a strongpoint of this form.

"I mean, an elf can die of starvation. I suppose if you die because I stole one deer, I'm ridding the world of one less idiot." As aggressive as Icyck was, he was still playing defensive on this one. He would enrage the elf to attack first.

"Of course, if you aren't stupid, which is highly unlikely for a mortal, then just walk away and catch another." Icyck had to at least offer not to whoop this guy's ass.

Anadwen

"You're wrong on so many points. And obviously the more stupid of us two." Athran hissed. This creature obviously had a lot of confidence, and not enough knowledge, but he controlled himself, determined to let him attack first.

"First point: I'm not a mortal." Every word was divided from the rest by a long, sharp pause.
"I'm ashamed that Maigrod whom I ride has relatives so idiotic." He stretched his arms, his joints cracked, and clenched his fists around the handle of his sword again.
"Second: You'd rid the world of a stupid creature if you'd starve to death yourself. If you're so primitive to assume that anything lying by is free for anyone, then you must have missed learning something very important in life, or just avoided guards out of pure luck." He shook his head. Wisps of his hair swished around as he did so.
"Third: Don't threaten and insult anyone, if you don't know whether they can kick your ass and mess you up pretty badly, or not."

He spit onto the ground. "Lizard. Your desperate attempts to sound clever would make me laugh. And I know more than one other dragon that would be ashamed to be of your kind. I can't wait to tell Maigrod this little tale."

Now come at me, you waste of space. Let's see who's really mortal in here.

Brisinger987

"Haha! You make it out like you stand a chance of winning. Have you even met a Thunderblack dragon? I don't claim to be the absolute smartest guy out there, but damn those Thunderblacks act like they've already been lobotomised!" Icyck was making idle talk about Thunderblacks in his own defence, unwittingly insulting Maigrod.

"And what kind of a name is Maigrod? Sounds like a caveman! Does your caveman buddy like it when you tell him stories? Does it help him go to sleep? Hah! I bet this Maigrod isn't even real." Icyck opened his wings, taking flight with ease. He was used to flying and this was much more comfortable than walking.

"So, coward, you gonna fight me? I'm not interested in a fight, but if you give, I'll give back." Icyck remembered that the guy could take the deer easily now, and created a dome of ice to protect his meal from being stolen by some elf with an attitude.

"I don't care if you're not a mortal. You bleed the same as everything else."

Anadwen

"The part about bleeding goes for you, too, lizard. No, I surely haven't met a Thunderblack before! Except that I'm riding a show piece of a Thunderblack!" The sarcasm in his voice could have been cut by a knife.

"But you finally said something true. You're not the smartest guy out there... Damn not. Or half of the world's dead. But that's apparently not happened, since I feel disturbingly alive." He grinned, trying to insult him as much as it just went.

"I'd like to know what sort of idiotic name you have - if your parents were as clever as you, it should be darn smashing. And just to remind you, dragons are mortal, too. I'd say more mortal than me..." He glanced over his shoulder, "You know, once upon a time, I came across one's path. I'm not trying to boast, but it was lethal for one of us. And guess which."

His eyes flashed with flames. Only a while, and this mentally challenged creature will be angry enough to attack... And he'll burn like a dry stash of papers.

Brisinger987

"My name is Icyck. A name my human slave drivers chose for my frost dragon heritage. It has a rather smooth ring to it, and is the only thing I give them congratulations for, choosing a good name for me." Icyck grinned, and began to build a large wall of ice behind the Elf, layering it sideways so as to not allow the elf the option of escape right now.

"You really are determined over a damned deer. Well, there's a consequence for everything, and considering that you are boring me, I'll take my quarry and leave." Icyck frosted over his scales, freezing it so cold that it became hardened permafrost. Most swords wouldn't cut this kind of ice.

He flew down to the deer, melting the orb around the deer and blowing his ice breath over the quarry, freezing it to preserve it. Then he removed the arrow, before launching it like a spear at the elf, summoning his weapons back, and freezing the deer completely solid.

"Bring it."

Anadwen

"With pleasure."

The sword in his hands arose to his head and the arrow hit its wide blade, serving him as a shield, and shattered into pieces.

"Yes, you are quite right. There's a consequence for everything. Thievery is a crime, and I'll treat you appropriately to that, because it's not about the deer. It's about the mere principle. Don't steal. You don't know who you're robbing. And therefore, suffer the consequences." Athran's lips twisted into a fey grin. He stomped onto the ground, and a wide circle of flames sprung from the ground, melting a hole in the ice wall behind. They flashed high, almost to the height of his waist, forming a burning shield around him, and the searing heat from them was beginning to melt the ice around.

"So you like the ice? I'm afraid I'll have to melt some. Burn. Burn!" he laughed. Strings of fire reached out of the circle, spreading into all directions, and flooded the backstreet, hungry and wild. Athran's sword was blazing with unnatural white flames, too, ready to flash through the air and attack.

"Come on! Now you got me into the mood to fight! Or have you suddenly lost the guts, my lady?"

Brisinger987

Icyck smiled at the flames. They would not be hot enough to melt the permafrost on his scales. He was powerful, the elf. But the light show didn't intimidate a well seasoned fighter like Icyck. He knew when things were just for show.

"You cavemen love your little light shows. I suppose the only way to rid simpletons like you of desire is to satisfy. Pathetic. But I will stoop to your level." Icyck made the ice spear again, and threw it, watching it pass through the flames, the permafrost untouched by the heat.

He made several more spears, throwing them at the elf, hoping to land even a slightly worrying hit.

"What's the matter, can't handle a few spears?"

Anadwen

Athran slashed several of them with deadly accuracy, waving his sword around, and they broke and melted in the flames.

"Look, I don't want anything with you. I just want my deer back!" he cried out. His patience was running out. He managed to melt or break everything the dragon threw at him, and the flames around consumed shards of ice with hunger, unmatched by any mortal beast's desire to devour and feed. But there was one spear that flashed out of his vision, above the flames, and hit him in the knee.

Athran let out a loud scream, collapsing onto the ground. "Darn... Oh, good gods..." he growled. Tears flowed from his eyes. He felt blood flowing out of the open wound, and the pain struck him, like lightning, intense, and terribly cold, but he wasn't willing to give up - not yet. He stood back up, putting all his weight over his left leg, and picked his sword back up. The flames burned higher.

"I'm not done yet. Continue." he shouted. He'll be done when one of them won't be willing to fight anymore, but he didn't aim to kill. As much as he liked fighting, he didn't kill for the thrill of it - death brought him no pleasure.

He pulled out his bow, and put not one, but three arrows to be fired from the bowstring. Their tips were flaming with white flames, much hotter than any ordinary fire, and ready to be shot towards their target. Athran aimed for the thief's wings, planning to force him to come back down and face the fire.

He let go of the bowstring. Three lightning-fast flaming arrows flew through the air like fireworks, but much more deadly.

Brisinger987

The arrows landed hits, all three, but no damage was done, merely ricocheting off of his scales or shattering.

"Surely you knew this would happen. Most dragons boast about scales because they have little weak spots. I have NO weak spots!" Icyck accelerated the rate at which the ice spear melted, and suddenly had a bloodthirsty idea.

Very slowly, he began to freeze the water in Athran's blood, very slowly spreading from the wound he had created.

"Do you feel your veins stiffen? That's me, my power freezing your blood. Very soon, you will die, and I can leave your frozen corpse in the street, while I enjoy your deer." Icyck landed, his flesh simply too cold to be affected by the heat of the large flames, although it was uncomfortable for the cold dragon.

He walked straight up to Athran, smiling. "I really wish I didn't have to kill you, I'm sure that talking would have been so much more fun, but unless you agree to let me go with the deer, unharmed, I won't stop the freezing."

Anadwen

Athran felt the wound slowly becoming cold, freezing the wound on his knee, but despite the pain it caused him, he laughed. The fire he summoned was in his very blood, and its warmth returned to him, melting the ice in his veins and kept them from freezing.

"You're clever. But not enough." he growled. The dragon's attempt to freeze him from inside was well-thought, but he obviously completely forgot about the way his magic works. "The cold winds of the tundra didn't freeze me... Do you think you can?"

In the meantime, his fire begun boiling Icyck's own blood, heating it up in an attempt to melt his armour of frost and boil him alive in his shell. "Sometimes, scales aren't as useful."

His hands, clutched around his sword, arose again, and he charged against him, trying to bash him with the wide side of the blade, as heavy and hard as a hammer upon an anvil.

"Every dragon has his weak spot."

Brisinger987

Icyck fought back the heat by expelling it to the outside of his scales and simply freezing the melting ice, placing them at a stalemate.

"You just contradicted yourself. Earlier you said I was idiotic. Everything freezes. I'm what's left afterwards." Icyck guessed that if freezing the guy's blood didn't work, trying to layer the guy's eyes or bladder with ice wouldn't work either.

Icyck was about to speak again, but in his overconfidence, he hadn't been expecting to be smashed with a blade, and he simply crumpled under the blow, feeling the pain of scales smashing and breaking under the force, the wound bleeding nastily.

He rose, clutching the myriad of cuts from shattered scales, and snarled.

"Nice trick. No more games."

Anadwen

Athran punched him in the chest, even though he was already laying on the ground. The ice cut through his gauntlets and scratched his skin, but he didn't pay attention to it.

"And that's what you get if you try to rob me. Three centuries of training. What did you expect?" he uttered, collapsing onto the ground himself. Once the spear melted, the wound was open, and with the excitement and concentration that kept his muscles tense and his mind focused only on battle, the pain was suddenly much, much worse. Even without looking he knew it was bleeding, he felt his warm blood flowing down his leg. The pain was becoming unbearable, his vision getting clouded by it. He knew he will have to sew it up soon...

He groaned. In attempts to seem like less of a fool to himself, he tried to persuade himself that it wasn't because of the deer, but because of the mere principle of thievery that he hated so much... You ended up badly when you tried to get your crap from thieves in Ketra as a kid, and you ended up badly when some scaled idiot tried to rob you off a damn deer. You're an idiot, a part of his mind shouted. And the other one has no answer for that.

He didn't try or mean to kill his opponent, but now, he hardly cared. Let his corpse rot, if he was dumb enough to start something with him.

Brisinger987

Icyck felt the punch land and it knocked the wind out of him, but he just rolled onto his hand, realising he may have gotten rather over confident.

"Haha... You... Have a strong... Punch, my friend..." Icyck crawled to his feet. He was suffering a bit too much for a damned deer. He would actually have to hunt if this was going to continue.

"I was not to know your age, or the extent of your strength. And in my overconfidence, you beat me. Allow me to stop the bleeding." Icyck put a layer of ice over the wound, like a scab, turning it into microscopic crystals so that it was somewhat flexible.

"You put up a good fight. It's a bloody deer, I'm not suffering broken bones over a dead animal, and neither should you. And you are no human. I would kill a human for that deer. Elves, no." Icyck saw reason now that his adrenaline had left his system.