Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Frozen Blood [closed, pagenchick]

Started by Winters-Feather, January 03, 2014, 11:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winters-Feather

Ash licked his chapped lips. He sat by the inn's roaring fire, his fur coat with his Runner patches drying on the back of his chair. The motley shirt he was required to wear told all his position.Ash took another ship of his warm ale, troubld.  Already he had a couple of coins for messeages men, women, and children alike paid for. The nearest Post was in the next village, and that was a day and a half journey's hike, a day that could be used working, or was safer spent indoors, especially on dreary winter nights as this one. He had only been stopping by to drop off a message to the inn keeper, but these people  brought unsettling news. A young woman's disappearance, two dead this very week, their skin pale and blood drawn. Some said it was a disease, others a demon, but Ash knew something more sinister was at play.
Vampire.

Ash toyed with the fish hook around his neck. But how could he be sure it was the same one as before? The inn keeper's daughter approached him with his food, smoked ham and noodles. She looked fifteen with rosy cheeks. He beckoned her to lean in close. She blushed, but did as she was told.
"Yes?" she asked.
"I've a message for a straw haired and golden eyed man," Ash lied. "Tall and thin. Do you know him?"
The girl thought about it for a moment before  her expression brightened.
"Oh!" she exclaimed. " I think he lives near Saiut. By the valley? He says he's a scholar and comes to learn about our culture. He's strange, but very rich and sometimes comes to trade. I think he came and went a few days ago."
She frowned.

"Are you alright, sir?" she asked, worried.  "You look sick."
"No, that's alright. Thank you," Ash responded a little coldly.
The liquid in his mug quivered as his body shook with anger. It could be that this man was not his vampire, but Ash held no doubts of it. The only question was what to do about it? Hunt him, yes. There were some methods, but Ash knew he  couldn't do it alone, not unaided. 

paganchick

Derek had been laying low, he was finding it hard to kill, finding it hard to do the job he had been doing for hundreds of years. He found that the older he got, the less motivation he had. He had killed hundreds of evil people, hundreds of people who had been causing others harm, but he was also old enough to see, that no matter how many he killed there was always another to take the place of the one who had died. So what was the point? He often found himself asking that question to himself, why was he still trying when it made no difference, no difference at all.

Le'raana had treated him well, he didn't get bothered and very few questions were asked about his slight oddities. He could tell that at least some knew who he was, or what he was better known for, what he did for a living, still, or maybe because of it, they left him alone. A few had come to him, seeking to hire him, he had turned them all down, He felt lost, not knowing what to do next with his never ending life.

Winters-Feather

Near the other side of the fire sat a man that Ash knew was different. The villagers didn't really treat him as one of them. They gathered in small groups and laughed and drank, but this one was broodier and quiet. He made everyone feel nervous. Ash didn't understand why, but he noticed how now and then, an uneasy glance would be sent the man's way. Four times had Ash sat at the bar when people would come up to him, their hands at their pockets, ready to pull out money. After a brief conversation, they sullenly left. When the fifth person left and went to the bar Ash decided to move from his seat and follow him.

"Give me an ale," the man said gruffly. He narrowed his eyes when Ash stood at the bar next to him.
"same here, please," he asked the bar maid.
"What do you want, Runner boy?" the man jeered.
"The man you were speaking with, who is he?" Ash asked quietly.
The man scoffed.
"A curse to this town, if ya ask me," he said.
"A curse?" Ash asked, his interest peaked.
"Stay away from the likes of him," the man warned as their ale arrived. "Damn sellswords can't be trusted."

Ash could feel his blood pump faster through his veins. That mysterious stranger was his hope. Without a further word with the disappointed man, Ash made his  way across the bar and sat on the opposite end of the table from Darek. He looked almost normal, but there was something off about him that Ash couldn't place...
"Hello," Ash said, realizing he didn't quite know what the proper etiquette for such meetings were. He could feel the gaze of some of the men in the room watching him, and that only made him more nervous.
Maybe this was a mistake, Ash thought to himself.
"I heard you were a sellsword," the young man said in a hushed tone.
"Is that true?"

paganchick

Derek heard the boy approach, but didn't look up until the boy chose to speak. He could hear his heart racing, he could smell his nervousness.

"Boy you should have listened to the man and stayed away," He spoke as he finally looked up, his eyes meeting the boys.
"What does a boy your age need with an assassin anyway? Answer me that since you are already here?" He asked, leaning heavily back in his chair, crossing his arms as he looked over the boy, examining him.

Winters-Feather

Ash broaded his shoulders and pouted.
"I'm nineteen," he huffed.
He was no boy. He was a man who worked hard for a living and wanted revenge.   He did not hesitate to give a proper response, either. He leaned over the table, never letting his eyes stray from the stranger.
"Vampire," he hissed.
He straightened back in his chair.
"He murdered many from my village," Ash explained.  "Including my mother. He's killing here, too. He has to be stopped."

paganchick

At the work Vampire Derek's attention was instantly grabbed. He didn't let it show though, his face still blank, his eyes unreadable.
"How do you know this man is a vampire?" He asked simply. There had been many a time where he was sent to kill a so called vampire and it turned out is was just a crazed human, or a demon. He was getting tired of the word being thrown around so freely. He himself after all, was a vampire.

"I doubt you would have the coin for that type of ob anyway."

Winters-Feather

OOC: Ugh thought i responded sooner! lol
IC:

Ash took in a sharp breath. He expected some sort of denial, whether it was to his age or information. He did not let it intimidate him, though. He came prepared.
"I know, sir, because he sucked the blood out of most all the hunters of my village and he could survive the harsh conditions of the north with no food or water," Ash replied, his voice hardened. It pained him to recount the tale. "All but one. He reported waking up in the night to find his friends and brothers dead in pools of their own blood, the vampire barely done feeding. He could disappear in the wind. Does that sound normal to you, sir?"
He leaned in closer, keeping his voice down.
"Further, I know because in the village next over, young women are disappearing or unexpectedly passing in the night on account of mysterious deaths. As for the coin..."

Ash pulled back and placed a small, but heavy bag full of coins on the table.
"Mostly silver," he explained.  "Does that suffice, sir?"

paganchick

Derek took the bag into his hand, before looking up at Ash, "and you are still a boy compared to me," he added simply. It had been ages since Derek was nineteen. It had been over nine-hundred years since Derek had been nineteen. He had been a slave when he was nineteen. Then in that moment looking back he could see how much he had changed, since that time, how much had changed in him.

"And what makes you think I can kill this so called vampire," Derek asked a light hint of a smirk playing at the corners of his mouth as he asked. The question to him was funny if he was honest. He really wanted to see what the boy saw in him, if the boy could see the darkness that both Derek and this other Vampire shared, this common bond between them.

Winters-Feather

Ash let the boy comment slide, realizing it was going to be useless to fight. He stiffened even more at the  hint of a smile curling on Derek's lips.
He thinks I'm a joke, he realized.
"I don't, sir," he confidently replied. "I've no proof of the extent of your abilities. But you haven't turned me away yet, if you don't mind me pointing that out. Most other mercenaries do."
Ash wasn't used to speaking so boldly, and was surprised at his words, himself.
"S- So  forgive my saying so, but I think you can."

paganchick

"Boy you should know that there is no honor in cut throats, if one thinks they can get something out of your for nothing they will. What is going to stop me from taking this coin and just leaving. You can't stop me," Derek pointed out looking the boy directly in his eyes.
"Or I could leave for a few days, come back and say I killed him and didn't," Everett replied, the boy had a lot to learn about hiring cut throats, a lot.
Derek almost felt bad for the boy though, so he started actually considering the job.

Winters-Feather

Ash frowned, a hand at his pocket, ready to draw a knife if he had to.
I didn't think about that, he thought.
The man COULD very well run off with his money. And what then? True, he was a Runner, and was very apt at seeking information. Still, what good would that do him? His fault for trust a stranger with his money! But his answer for the second question was decided from the moment he had sat down...

"With all due respect, sir, I'd be the judge of that," he said, his glare unwavering from Darek's face, "I'm coming with you."

paganchick

Derek saw the boy tense and reach into his pocket. Derek stood, towering over the boy. Whatever the boy had in his pocket didn't concern him.
"You think you can take me on boy? You think I can kill this man that you obviously can't, but you think you can kill me?" He asked his voice quiet, barely a whisper, but dark and dangerous at the same time. A smirk played on the corners of his mouth though, it was playful, daring, calculating.

"I don't do tag alongs, they just turn into something else I have to protect other than my own throat," He spoke before sitting back down. Leaning heavily back into his chair.

Winters-Feather

Thinking he had been saw right through, Ash's grip loosened. He turned his head away, embarrassed. Still, at Derek's next words, Ash shook his head.
"No, I'm coming with you," he said, insisting.
He pointed to the stripe on his tunic.
"I'm a Runner," he pointed out. "I'm used to protecting myself, sir, and moving quickly. I won't be in the way, or complain. But I have to come with you."

paganchick

"A runner you might be, but you have no idea what you will find or run into when you are purposely seeking out trouble. Which is exactly what your hit is, a skin bag full of trouble," Derek replied watching the boy with hawkish eyes.
"Few are ever ready for this type of task, especially boys of your age," Derek added after a pause. Watching the boys responses, hoping he would give in.

Winters-Feather

Ash sighed, flinching under Derek's eye. This was the man for the job, Ash was certain, yet they were going nowhere. If he wanted the job to be done, then he had to compromise. He could feel the anger in him spark, like a fire.
I want to be there to see him die...
"Fine," he hesitantly agreed. "I will honor your rule. But please allow me to accompany you to  the   village closest to him. I have messages to carry there, anyway."

paganchick

A hint of a smirk conveyed silently the amusement Derek was feeling. The boy was desperate he could tell, and he knew, even though it might not be the best idea that he would take the job. Humans and such were easy kills for him, but another vampire, that could be dangerous, they would be on a similar playing field.

"I know you will try to follow me from the village. I can tell you have been scorned, and as anyone scorned to the point they would hire someone to kill, you want to watch this being killed. I can not stop you, but I will give you this warning. I will not try to save you if you get caught in the cross fire."

Winters-Feather

Ash bowed his head, his face flushing with shame. He nodded obediently at Derek's words.
"I understand," he said.
The young man held out his hand to shake. That's what you were supposed to do to seal deals, weren't you? That's what he thought. Or would a written contract be better, more binding?
"We can leave the day after tomorrow if you need time to prepare," Ash suggested.
Soon, Mother, you can finally rest in peace.

paganchick

Derek reached out, taking the boys hand in a firm hand shake. It would be easy for the boy to tell that there was something off about Derek, giving him one last chance to run as he felt Derek's ice cold touch.
"We leave tomorrow," Derek said simply.

Winters-Feather

His hands are so cold, Ash thought, alarmed. He dared not say anything, fearing it might be too impolite. The thought of Derek's true nature did not turn in Ash's mind- yet. Still, something about this man made him uneasy...
"Tomorrow," Ash repeated as he drew his hand back before he rose to his feet. "I'll be waiting here in the morning."
He rose to his feet before he realized something dire. The boy almost flushed at his lack of manners.
"I apologize, sir," he quickly said, "But I failed to give you my name. It's Asuhok Snowborn, though everyone calls me Ash.  What may I call you?"