Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

On thin ice (Gaunt)

Started by Anadwen, January 20, 2014, 01:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadwen

Anoriel pulled out her own bow, preparing to fight, and poked her brother with her foot. He groaned and opened his eyes, blinking into the light. "Anoriel... What's going on?" he asked. She shrugged and gave him her hand. The black-haired knight took it and pulled himself to his feet. They were circled by the beasts again...

The couple of scimitars appeared in his hands. The sleek blades were more effective against these creatures than the wide, though hard and sharp, Black Sword. It only took him a while to completely regain his consciousness, and by then, he was already rushing to the horde, slashing his swords around. He was as quick and nimble as if nothing happened before...

Anoriel followed him. She rarely ever told him when she used her magic, but the fact that she could keep him conscious and focused on battle saved them many times ago.

One by one, the beasts fell under their coordinated attacks... But there were still far too many.

Brisinger987

Suddenly Halford stopped, shouting as loud as he could.

"You two, RUN! GO!" Halford slaughtered more of the monsters as they seemed to pour from the portal, in groups of thirty.

Eventually the portal closed, and Halford was surrounded by the creatures, a whole swarm of about 120 of them, all under the influence of the Hive Mind.

Anadwen

"Run first! I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!" Athran screamed back, turning around in a maddened slaughter with the speed of a lighting. Already several of the beasts have fallen to his swords, and more and more acidic blood covered the ground. He was able to keep them at bay long enough for either himself, or Anoriel to kill him...

But even he could have a problem with over a hundred. He wasn't even near to being tired, but that might change soon.

Brisinger987

Halford was overrun with the swarm of beings, the whole hundred and twenty monsters piling on top of him. Then a roar filled the air, draconic, majestic and utterly deadly, descending on the huge pile with tooth, claw and flame, burning them to shreds, revealing Halford curled up on the floor, his purple dark elvish blood staining the water he laid in.

"Ugh, thanks..."

Anadwen

Athran was slowly getting overwhelmed by the slashing talons of the beasts, hitting him from every side. The more he managed to destroy, the more attacked him... Something knocked him over, most likely by throwing itself against his back. He could feel his blood on his face... Bones crunched with the beasts' bodies, covering him.

He had to burn them. There was no other choice...

A huge explosion of flames burst through the air, melting a hole in the ice in which Athran laid. He didn't even attempt to move... The fire created a barrier around him, and kept him safe from whatever may come close. If he could keep his conscience despite the wounds, he would be safe from danger until everything would burn away.

Brisinger987

The portal had closed, and now Halford stood, and limped forward, killing the few stragglers that his huge dragon friend hadn't killed. Hopefully that was the last of them for now.

Once they had finished mopping up, Halford limped towards the other two elves.

"You two... Owe me a damned good drink..."

Anadwen

The flames flickered, slowly fading in the cold air. There was no use for them anymore... Athran simply couldn't focus on them. There was no way to keep them burning without his attention, and that was disappearing with every drop of his crimson blood that flowed onto the ice. The dark returned, and he lost his conscience.

"I don't owe anyone a damn thing! If anyone in here owes somebody something, it's not me!" Anoriel shouted, running towards her brother. None of the monsters reached her before she shot them, but she saw the explosion of fire Athran created, and knew that something was wrong. She found him laying face-down in a hole, burned out by the fire, surrounded by blood, slowly twirling in the water that the flames melted.

Without thinking, she sled down the side of the crater, and bent above his body. She shook him gently, but he didn't respond. Quickly checking whether he's breathing, she assured herself that he's still alive, even if he didn't move. His clothes were ripped on several places, but he didn't seem to be bleeding too badly... Anoriel's hands checked everything else. There were a few bones she didn't find alright, but like this, he at least didn't feel anything.

It wouldn't be too much of a problem, if they weren't in the middle of tundra, where one can freeze very easily. It helped that she was able to stop the bleeding, but he was too heavy for her to pick up. Desperately looking around herself, she clenched her hands around his shoulder.

Brisinger987

Halford limped over to Athran, sliding down the side of the crater, still clutching his own heavily bleeding wound with one hand.

"Let's see what the damage is. After this you'll owe me a bloody drink woman..." Halford took a look at Athran before extending his hand and muttering a spell. A green light emanated from the palm of Halford's hand, and it began to weave around Athran, seeking his wounds and beginning to heal them.

Anadwen

"Aren't you... Aren't you going to heal yourself first?" Anoriel asked, but noticing that he already got to work, she used her own power to stop the bleeding. "I don't owe anyone a goddamn thing, you know. Those things would have ripped you to pieces... We're even." she growled.

She carefully watched him with distrust. "Can you heal broken bones? I think he cracked a dew of his ribs and right arm. I'm sure about those, but not about the rest. He'll get out of this if he doesn't freeze..." she explained to the stranger, nervously looking around. Athran has been in a worse state before, but she was still worried about him.

Brisinger987

Halford hadn't noticed the broken bones, and stopped the spell. He spoke a small prayer for Athran, praying that the pain wasn't unbearable, and one by one, began to the bones, which had begun healing in the wrong positions. He continued saying the prayer over and over, eventually managing to line the bones up correctly.

He recast the spell, wounds opening from the battle on himself as he worked, the energy drain being so great that wounds he had already healed reopened. He got Athran to a healthy level, before collapsing, his own wounds bleeding nastily.

"Ow... Now where's my damned drink?"

Anadwen

Anoriel shrieked. "What have you done? Man, are you crazy?" She covered her mouth with her hands, but proceeded to heal his wounds, although it left her tired and exhausted. "Now we're all freeze here, because nobody of us has enough energy to even walk at least a mile!" Her body collapsed onto the ground and she pulled her knees to her chest.

Athran still didn't show any signs of conscience. The huntress assumed that he would have passed out due to the pain - she could hear his bones cracking - and wouldn't wake up anyway.

"I don't even have food, not a drink. Ask my brother when he wakes up. He drinks... Not me."

Brisinger987

Halford only took a second, before standing, against all odds, and picking up Athran.

"Well we best start moving now. The closer we are to the village when we freeze to death, the quicker our bodies will be found." Halford hung Athran over his shoulder, walking in the direction he knew there was a village, not particularly listening to Anoriel anymore.

Anadwen

Anoriel grabbed Athran's body and pulled him towards herself. "No, let me take him. He's not that heavy! Besides, if he wakes up any soon, he'd smack you... And that would hurt both of you." she groaned as she pulled her brother's arm over her shoulders and started pulling him out of the hole in the ice. He wasn't so heavy - however, his armour and weaponry was.

"Darn it, Athran, and your damn swords and knives!" she whispered.

Brisinger987

"No, it'd hurt him more..." Halford carried walking, more than happy to let this girl carry everything to the nearby village.

"Just to warn you, we have about an hour's walk. Let me know if you can't carry him, I'll show you how to drag him through the snow."

Anadwen

Anoriel grunted. "It's not the first time I'd have to carry him. I'm used to it. Besides, we've been eating only a little food every day as we traveled. He's not heavy." she uttered. Athran has never been more than bones, skin, and some muscles... If he didn't take his arsenal of weapons with him, she'd bet she could even pick him up.

However, like this, she only hoped that he will wake up soon and carry his darned armoury alone.

She slowly walked through the snow, dragging Athran's feet behind herself a little, but on straight ground, it wasn't that difficult. "He knew the way... I don't. I'm afraid you'll have to lead us." she said after a while of looking around and still having no idea where the village should be.

Brisinger987

"Well if you knew the way, why didn't you run towards the village when I said to run? I had it under control." Halford snarled, his pride getting in the way of his better judgement.

"That horde was too big for you to handle. That why I said to run." Halford continued walking picking up the pace.

"Come on, don't wanna get caught out here at night. The frostbite isn't the only thing that'll kill you..."

Anadwen

"Because it was too big for you, too, that's why I didn't run! You'd get ripped to pieces in a matter of a minute..." she hissed back. "Don't you think I'd realize that? Besides, where would I run if Athran wouldn't lead the way? I sure bet he wouldn't just run. You should be thankful to us for saving your neck! I don't mean to say I don't prize your service, but to me, it comes as you don't realize half of the things that happened!"

She heard Athran's silent sigh beside her, but he still didn't appear to be awake yet. Well, he'll show this stranger who knows something about battle once he wakes up...

Oh, those two will either get blackout drunk, or rip each other to pieces! She glanced at the sky in desperation.

Brisinger987

"I just said, there are more dangerous things out here in the snow than the temperature. Don't tempt me to introduce you to said things." Off in the distance, an unearthly roar resounded, and the roar of a dragon responded to it.

"Trust me, the dragon is the least of your problems..." Halford picked up the pace, trying to put some distance between the roar of his friendly dragon and whatever beast it had picked up.

Anadwen

Anoriel winged off. "You don't have to tell me that. I know the tundra... And I know dragons, too. I could've been a rider myself, but... Heck, who'd search for the beast and chase it though the mountains? I'm not my brother... Madly running after anything that fights him. I always said that knights are fools!" she complained, carrying Athran forth.

If he'd hear her, he wouldn't be satisfied one bit - but he didn't.

Brisinger987

"You clearly don't. Those things have been popping up for weeks. Of course, as far as I know, I'm the only person whose ever survived an encounter. Except for you two now, but obviously you had veteran help." Halford continued walking, becoming increasingly irritated with this girl and her incessant whining.

"You're clearly used to city life, so why didn't you stay there, and drink your money, life and dignity away?"