Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Blood in the Snow [open!]

Started by Rhindeer, January 24, 2014, 11:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmberWishes

Sapphire stood and moved to lock the door behind the strangers. 'Don't mean to break up this blind date or anything,' she said, looking at neither of them, 'But why the hell are you both here?'

Wicked Basket

Carlyle ignored Sapphire because he wasn't finished talking.
"Yes, Connlaoth is indeed a place. It is my home city. Now a chemist is someone who mixes different things together to create something with a desired affect, like maybe something to help you fall asleep, or something to dull pain. Things like that."
Carlyle thought it strange that this girl was not aware of what a chemist was, but he didn't mind explaining. He loved his job, and was glad to share it.
Carlyle then turned to Sapphire.
"I am here to procure an ingredient for one of my best sellers. It is a small red flower with thorns on it. Do you know where I may find one?"

EmberWishes

Sapphire narrowed her eyes at him, considering making him leave, even though in her anger she would probably burn the whole cabin down, which wouldn't help her either. She smiled at his question, in no mind to help him more than she already had. 'No, I don't know of it. Perhaps you should go digging.' Since she had seen Teidra with one, she considered adding Or maybe ask your new friend here. But she held her tongue, the effort of company wearing her down already.

Rhindeer

He was there for the same reason as she was! Erk. Inside, Teidra squirmed, and outside, she began to fidget with her hands. It would be horribly rude to lie, and horribly selfish as well, but she needed that flower to complete part of her training and this might be her last chance to get it this year. And she'd worked so hard to find it!

And then Sapphire mentioned that Carlyle should go digging, and Teidra's shoulders jerked. Did she know?! Did she know about the one she'd buried just outside? She stared at the woman in wide-eyed alarm, but a second later and she realized...no. That was silly. All Yyndris flowers were found by digging. Ahaha...hah. Yikes. Talk about being paranoid. With a deep breath, Teidra relaxed again and smiled.

"That hill we passed coming here, they can be found there," she said. "That's where I found mi--" She stopped, flushed red. Oh gods. She was not good at lying! She felt guilty for even trying. "That's where I found mine. Uhm. When I found one. A while ago and not today."

Nailed it.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Wicked Basket

"I always thought honesty was the best policy," Carlyle said, seemingly randomly.
He then turned to Teidra.
"So, what do you need the flower for?"

Rhindeer

That made Teidra twitch a little, the comment eerily out of place, but she just shuffled her hooves and pretended not to notice. She scratched at the side of her nose.

"I'm studying to become an herbalist," she said, looking up at Carlyle. "Retrieving the flower was one of the tasks I was given--a while ago. You have to be able to identify and find a lot of different plants, and do it quickly, if you want to be one. After all, it could be the difference between life and death."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Wicked Basket

"An herbalist," Carlyle said stroking his chin and nodding. "That's not too far from being a chemist. Perhaps we could compare notes."

Rhindeer

"It's not?" Teidra said, head tilting curiously. Then she smiled and lifted her shoulders in a shrug. "I don't have any notes with me, and I'm still learning, but I would be open to that! I'm still kind of a beginner, so...my knowledge probably isn't as great as yours! Oh!"

Looking back to Sapphire, realizing she'd been rude and hadn't answered her question (a question she had the right to know the answer to, being the host and all and trusting to let her into her home!), she decided to correct that. "I'm sorry miss, I never answered you. I was out here collecting herbs. Plants for my trade."

And then, looking between the both of them, asked, "Do you both live around here?"

She had at first assumed this was Sapphire's home, but Sapphire had mentioned it was "anyone's cabin".

EmberWishes

Sapphire shrugged, taking her seat again and stretching out her boots on the table. 'I don't really belong anywhere. This cabin was owned by a man who hunted here regularly. He died,' she said bluntly. 'So I've been staying here a while. It's only this kitchen type area and one bedroom.' She jabbed her thumb towards the only other door in the room. 'But it's better than nothing. Stay as long as you want, sleep and have some food. Blizzard will probably stay for a couple days at least, from past experience.' She smiled at Teidra and stretched lazily.

Wicked Basket

"Days? I can't have such a delay. I have a business to run and deadlines to meet," Carlyle said.
He sighed a pinched the bridge of his nose as he began pacing and mumbling to himself. This was not part of the plan. He could always just leave and take the flower that was buried out there, but he wasn't sure if he would survive the blizzard. Such an inconvenience this was.

EmberWishes

'Blizzard doesn't care about your business, or any inconvenience it might cause you,' Sapphire said, disliking his manner and gratitude. She should have left him outside.'But if you'd rather not stay, be my guest.' She waved a hand to the door, eyeing him carefully.

Wicked Basket

"You are not a very good hostess," Carlyle said matter-of-factly. "It takes quite a bit to make me angry, but even so, I wouldn't push your luck. I'm very unpleasant to be around."

Carlyle almost said it too politely and calmly to be a threat, but he was quite serious. He did not enjoy her attitude, but it was not in his nature to be inherently violent.

EmberWishes

Sapphire stood sharply, quickly unsheathing one of her daggers and slamming it into the table. 'I am not your hostess,' she said, her voice also containing no anger, but clear and authoritative. 'You are not my guest. This is not your inn. Right now all you are is the stray I dragged in from the cold, and don't you forget it. And I don't like hidden threats.' She pulled her blade up from the table, sheathing it again. 'As I'm sure you know, appearances can be deceiving. You think I'm some random traveler who just decided to take a break from the whole world? You aren't the only dangerous person around here, so I wouldn't push your luck, because I'm no picnic either.' Sapphire watched him for a moment longer, then looked to Teidra. 'You can sleep in the bed tonight, if you want,' Sapphire said, her voice softer. 'Sleeping isn't really in my nature, anyway.' She touched the groove in the table that she had made with her blade. She found it extremely difficult to deal with people, especially without, you know, hurting them. So she considered her letting these two in to be quite an achievement, or break through, for her, and she didn't like people pointing out her social flaws. She was trying, after all. Well, with Teidra at least.

Wicked Basket

Carlyle simply smiled in response to Sapphire's threat.

"I don't need luck."

With that Carlyle pulled up a chair and sat down with a sigh. Poor Cecil was still out there, possibly for days. He should be smart enough to find shelter though. He should be fine. Cecil had also been carrying Carlyle's suitcase, which was also disappointing because he couldn't go and get it. It just wasn't his day.

EmberWishes

Sapphire gave him a wary glance, and considered bringing up the topic of the second presence she felt near him earlier, but decided against it. She sat down with a sigh as well, and nudged the plate of cooked meat towards him in silence. If he did have bad intentions, she decided she didn't care. She just had to wait out the blizzard then get them on their way, and she would be alone again. It was for the best, really.

Rhindeer

Yikes, that escalated quickly!

Teidra flinched when Sapphire stabbed the table and watched the exchange anxiously. About the worst thing that could possibly happen would be to get snowed in here in the middle of a fight, especially should it turn violent--and when it came right down to it, she didn't know about the tendencies of either of these people. Fortunately, it looked like they both dropped it, and Sapphire even offered her the bed!

Letting out a slow breath, she relaxed again. For a second there, when that knife came out, she had seriously been considering bolting and digging herself out.

Following Carlyle's lead, she took a seat at the table as well and cleared her throat awkwardly. It looked like what everyone needed was a serious subject change. Hopefully something that wouldn't set everyone off bickering again.

"So, uh...we're going to be stuck here for a few days at least," she started slowly, glancing between the two of them. "It's going to get boring fast, stuck in one spot--I mean! No offense! I've just been snowed in before!" she added quickly, holding up her hands. "All I mean is...so...does anyone know any fun games? Or have any good stories?"

Wicked Basket

"How about we have a little meet and greet? We can all share a few things about ourselves in order to understand each other better and not start performing involuntary amputations."

Sure, it was a cheesy idea, but it's not like they had anything better to do. Maybe they could even find common interests that they could discuss or something.

Rhindeer

That didn't sound like a bad idea! Teidra nodded at that and picked up a piece of bread. "I like the sound of that. The meet and greet, I mean, not the...amputations." Anything to keep those two from each others' throats! Otherwise this was going to be a long blizzard.

"Um, so we just...say anything?" she asked, scratching again at her ear. "Okay, I guess I'll go first! Though I'm not really sure what to...bah! Okay. So, my name is Teidra...which you already know, so...starting over! I've seen eighteen summers, I...well, you know I'm studying to be an herbalist. Oh, I have six siblings! I'm neither the oldest nor the youngest, and...hmm..." It was so hard thinking of things on the spot!

"My...favorite color is violet?"

Wicked Basket

"Excellent! Very good," Carlyle said. "Now you," he said, indicating Sapphire. "I'm sure you'll have some interesting things to say about yourself."

EmberWishes

Sapphire couldn't help but smile down at the table as she listened to Teidra's nervous introduction. There was something rather endearing about this girl that put her at ease, which was a nice balance to the unsettling feeling Carlyle gave off. She looked up at him, not liking his snarky side-comment. If he was trying not to come across as threatening, he was doing a poor job, but Sapphire kept the thought to herself. She felt like by asking about them, he was trying to suss them out, and she didn't like it, but instead she kept her composure. 'Please,' she said politely, looking back to the table. 'After you.'