Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Seeing in the Dark

Started by visualspice, January 30, 2014, 11:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: This thread is open by requests only ^_^ So PM me first to get approval before joining. Thanks!
Got a taker >D

requests are now closed!

-------

The Sea. The Wilds. The Dirt.

It was the lesser islands of Thanatos that greeted her as the ship rocked across the ocean waves, crawling it's way by the guiding winds towards shore. Though the charter vessel was to drop her off at the port city of Jin'ta, Iyla Krue had other plans. With her true identity swathed beneath layers of binding wraps, black leather armor and her cloak, she adjusted the clothe covering her nose and mouth before stepping towards the stern of the ship.

The side of the island where she could feel the pull of darkness was to the south, where rough waves made it nearly impossible to dock. But as she stared off towards the island now cast in shadows from the light of the dying day, she knew that it was here, down south, where she would find the shadow seed she sought.

The shadow seed made her blood burn and a sensation tingle across her skin and even sent her stomach into small loops. Yes- Thanatos, a land so foreign to her she even feared what she might find. But it didn't matter- she was one with her shadow master now, and no harm could come to her. Even still, she was not looking forward to the swim. Those waves cut through the ocean with a vengeance, and she just hoped drowning wasn't something her 'deathless' persona could be not immune to. It seemed other death, for now, she could evade.

Keeping her hand to the clothe over her mouth, her red eyes scouted the side of the ship. No one was around. No one was looking her way. And as she closed her eyes and whispered an internal prayer to the spirits, she threw herself over board and into the cold waters.

As she plunged beneath the salty water's surface, she felt the temperature of such waters jab at her body like blades. But after the initial shock of it all, she pushed her way towards the surface and made her way towards the smaller island- a direction in which her intuition, the driving force of the shadow seeds, always lead her. It was like the steady beat of a drum, she knew she was heading the right away, but as she kicked through the black waters- waters that only appeared this dark because the sun was already set and just it's fading lights remained as an echoe over head, to where the sparking of stars dusted the sky. And seh knew it was dangerous, even before she reached the rough waves, so when one wild one took hold of her and pushed her forward, she went tumbling into darkness before hours later, in the middle of the night- Iyla Krue washed up on shore.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Alegretto

Darjak walked his way along the beach. The evening was cold, and he pulled his cloak tight around his shoulders. He kicked a piece wood on the ground, some chunk of driftwood or another, and picked it up. He broke off a small piece of it and lit it on fire, before smelling the smoke that came off of it. He groaned. He'd smelled the smoke before, the charcoal from this particular wood made a weak explosive. He sighed.

He'd come to the islands of Thanatos in an attempt to experiment with new supplies for his explosives, but so far he hadn't found any improvements over his normal ingredients. He was about to return to the village he was staying at when, in the light of his tiny torch, he noticed a large shape on the sand. Well, he thought, no harm in checking one more piece of driftwood.

However, as he approached the shape it resolved itself into a living creature. At least, Darjak thought it was a living creature. Could have been dead. He approached it carefully, checking for any movement or sign of life. He got up to it and knelt close, looking more thoroughly. The figure looked human and male, though Darjak couldn't be sure of either. It was swathed in soaked black clothing and leather armor. He reached his arm close and felt for a pulse. A weak but present heartbeat met Darjak's hand. So alive then.

He picked up the figure, no sense in leaving them out here, and began walking back to the small village.

visualspice

The sway of being carried by someone somewhat shorter than herself (by at least a whole foot), forced the woman into a faint state of awakenedness. She groaned softly before sputtering out some water, but other wise she remained wilted within the dwarf's arms. Opening her eyes, her vision was blurry and she could not quite make out the man's face in the darkness.

"What?" her voice came out croaky, she- obviously still delirious from the hazardous swim to shore as she sputtered out more water, which she choked on through the clothed masked that covered her mouth for it was too confining as the second she coughed the water out, it seemed to fall right back int her mouth.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Alegretto

Darjak heard spluttering coming from the man in his arms. He realized that the mask he was wearing was restricting his breathing. He carefully set his charge on the ground and removed the mask, revealing surprisingly fine features. Darjak shook his head. Humans were so strange. They didn't grow hair on their faces even at this age?!

He noticed that the man seemed to be choking on water. Darjak thought back, he'd seen someone fix a drowning before. How did it go again? After a few moments the memory came to him.

As hard as he could, the hefty dwarf smashed a hammerfist down on the victims chest. That done, he puckered his lips moved to blow air into the man's lips, like he'd seen done in the past. Or was it suck the water out?

visualspice

The fist to the chest stunned her, her eyes widening in the moment as her breath became lost, though it seemed to have dislodged the water- but too bad she was stunted and could not react fast enough to stop  the oncomng dwarf lips from suddenly covering hers.

But a 'kiss' was all she needed to react. Coughing out the remaining water into his mouth, she tore her lips away from the dwarf and smashed a fist into his bearded face.
"GET YOUR LIPS OFF OF ME YOU BEARDED PERVERT!"

OOC: lol
I can edit the punching or you can just assume he dodges it if you'd rather not but... loool

Alegretto

The blow glanced off the dwarf's face but it was weak. Still there was more force in the blow than the dwarf would have expected from someone who was probably half dead.

Darjak laughed heartily as he stood up. "So you live laddie! Guess that reviving technique really works. Heck I should be a doctor not a tinkerer." He laughed again. "And you have some spunk in you for such a sissie-lookin' guy." He extended his hand to help the young man up. "I'm Darjak Tilner, wandering Tinkerer. A pleasure to meet'cha!"

visualspice

The laughter threw her off, and her face twisted in confusion. But at the comment- she then realized her face was exposed and gasping, she hissed and threw up her fabric mouth shield and growled.

"Are you saying you're the one who found me here?" she said, making her voice scratchy and low, to hide her true identity. After all, she could never be too careful, and though the dwarf seemed jovial, her eyes narrowed skeptically. She still wasn't about to trust just anyone- even a rescuer.

Alegretto

The dwarf laughed again, this time at the boy's reactions. Hissing and then covering his face with the soggy mask. He reminded Darjak of a black cat he had fished out of a river once. The wet clothes and armor sticking to the small frame seemed like matted fur, and even the red eyes reminded him of a cat's intense stare.

Darjak realized that the cat-man had asked him a question. "Yep laddie I found you here. Layin' on the beach, still as death himself. Thought you were a goner. Lucky for you I've got secondary talents as a doctor."

The dwarf's chest swelled with pride at the memory of his first successful foray into the field of medicine, paying no mind to the fact that it had happened only moments ago and that his "patient" had already been waking up on their own.

"Anyway, up you go laddie." Darjak still had his hand extended. "You need to get that armor off and get yourself in front of a fire before you catch hypo, hyper, hypis... Oh what's it?" The dwarf scratched his head in confusion with his free hand. He stood in thought for a moment before exclaiming, "That's right! Before you get hypisohermia. You know, that thing where your body is cold and you get all trembly."

Darjak was on a roll today with medical knowledge.

visualspice

Iyla just stared a the dwarf- and stared and stared.
Was this bearded fool for real?

"You mean hypothermia?" she corrected, hesitantly as she kept her red eyes on the man. Had this fool really just saved her? It seemed so improbable, but she did wake up in his arms.
"I doubt I'll die from it. Besides, the sun is risen, I should be fine."

She just hoped her armor would dry as quickly as it could- at least leathers didn't soak in too much water, but the stuff that HAD gotten inside her armor made her clothe bindings chafe a little against her skin. It was quite the uncomfortable feeling.

Alegretto

"Oh really? You'll be alright? Huh, you humans are more rugged than I thought. If a dwarf were as half-drowned as you in that cold water he'd be trembling something fierce with that there hyposermia thingie." Not to mention dead since dwarves can't swim, but Darjak thought it would be tactful to leave that part out. After all this young boy had almost died of drowning. Darjak smiled at his own delicacy. A Tinkerer, a doctor, and a gentleman, that's what he was!

"Anyway are you gonna get up? My arm's starting to feel like to fall off." The dwarf still had his hand extended to help the black-clad boy to his feet.

visualspice

Iyla narrowed her gaze at the extended hand, but decided to take it, just to make sure she wouldn't make a fool of herself if she tried and failed. And once she as pulled to her feet, she took a hold of the side of her head, finding herself suddenly dizzy as she closed her eyes to keep herself from spinning.

"Am... am I near a town?" she inquired, her eyes still tightly closed. She wondered if she shouldn't rest a bit before continuing her search- but then something..
something made her senses tingle as her red eyes opened suddenly as they drifted off into the shadows of the trees. It was almost as if 'the young man' heard something, but nothing- except ofr the sudden gust of an ocean breeze and the constant crashing of waves, could be heard.

Alegretto

((OOC: I'm gonna keep using male pronouns in my posts until she's ousted as a woman (if she ever is) to avoid confusion between what Darjak does and does not know ;)))

Darjak nodded in response to the man's question, oblivious to the fact that the black-clad figure had noticed something. "Not really a town," the dwarf gestured vaguely behind him, "but there is a little village not too far away in that direction. The locals don't speak a lot of common, but they're nice folk."

Darjak started walking in the direction he had indicated, again unaware that anything might be amiss and never considering that the other man wouldn't follow. "C'mon, I'll lead you to it." He shouted over his shoulder.

visualspice

Iyla made a face as Darjak went on to inform her a village was nearby. But even her keen eyes could make out the torch lights from here. Her eyes narrowed and she took a few cautious steps away from the dwarven as her eyes began to study her surroundings. And then her red eyes looked out again- searching into the deeper woods where shadows laced together nad made it impossible to see.

And that's when she felt the familiar pull again. The Seed.
She didn't even say a word, and began to move in that direction- which was the opposing way Darja now walked.

OOC: That's fine XD

Alegretto

Darjak managed to go a fair distance along the beach before he realized that he didn't hear the boy's footsteps around him. He turned around, and saw that the black-clad figure was walking away from him.

Now that was odd. The lad walked with a peculiar gate, as if drawn by something. It was equally strange that the fellow would just wander off after being half-drowned. Those thoughts made Darjak grin like a small boy left alone in a candy shop. He loved odd and strange. In his experience those two meant a couple things: a good chance of finding interesting materials and a good reason to make things go bang.

Darjak ran after the boy as quick as his short legs would carry him. "Wait for me laddie!" The dwarf shouted. The kid seemed like he was up to something and the dwarf wanted to be a part of it.

visualspice

The darkness called her like no other, and though there was silver light coming from the high-risen moon, Iyla pushed her way through the sandy, wooded path with ease. The sensation coming from the seed that drew her was growing stronger and stronger- so much that she almost didn't realize the dwarf decided to follow. Almost. Pausing, her brow gave an irritable twitch as she heard the shorter man pushing through the foliage. Though she said nothing, paused only in that instant to hear his approach before she stalked off again, pushing her way deeper and deeper through shadows and trees.

She wasn't sure where the seed was this time, as it appeared it was calling her so far away, yet so close; and when she reached the end of  a long, forested trail, she paused to swear. It seemed as if she reached a dead end.

Before her stretched a tall cliff side that blocked her path like a craggy wall and a small inlet cutting into it that bled out into the ocean. She swore again. She'd have to scale the cliff- the seed must be on it, or on top of it.

Alegretto

Darjak stumbled his way through the underbrush with all the grace of a beached whale, following after the black-clad man. He almost lost track of the fellow several times, but he was able to track the movement of the figure all the way to a cliff face.

The man was standing there staring up at the cliff in a way that Darjak didn't like. He didn't climb well. "You going up" he asked. "Cause I'm pretty sure you already almost died once tonight and I don't know how to resuscitatate ((OOC:sic)) someone who's taken a fall."

visualspice

Iyla ignored the dwarf for now, red eyes scanning the craggy rock walls and seeking out what shadows she could. No.. not up. Something was...
She kicked a rocked into the nearby stream and followed it's course. No, not down the river either.
Something was... below them- but still before them.

Her eyes wavered and moved, darting back and forth as if reading the cliff face as her frown deepened. Hastily, she stepped into the shallow stream before the rock wall and began to study it with her eyes, seeking for something, anything as her hands began to grope the walls.

Alegretto

"What are you looking for laddie?" Darjak asked. The dwarf was too thick-skinned to notice or care that the man was ignoring him. "Somethin' on the cliff?"

Darjak jumped into the stream next to the man, ready to help, but instead he felt one of his feet fall through the bed. Darjak barely had time to yell a curse before his whole body went crashing through the weak earth all the way through the newly opened hole in the stream bed.

He landed straight on his rear-end after a pretty good fall, but the dwarf was tough and the distance didn't really do him any damage. He rubbed his sore back end as he stood up in what appeared to be a pretty deep cave.

visualspice

The disappearing dwarf was unexpected, but after seeing the earth collapse and sensing the power of the shadow pull her down towards the new opening- she realized then where the seed must be. Silently, she followed after the dwarf, not really caring if he was alright or not as she climbed her way int the endless darkness.

But it was even too dark for her to see down here, and after groping through the cave for a few seconds, she found herself cursing. She turned back to where the dwarf had fallen and hoovered near to him where just the faintest light of the silver moon washed in.

"You..." she said, lightly kicking his side. "Do you have a torch?"

Alegretto

Darjak was still trying to work the pain out of his backside when the kid knocked him back over with a kick. The blow was weak but the dwarf hadn't been expecting it and the cave floor was slippery with all the water falling down from the broken stream.

Darjak growled, "I do, I do you impatient kid. Just give me a minute." The dwarf stood back up, patting himself off and grumbling all the while. "Stupid, stream, stupid, cave, stupid ungrateful boy." He reached into his bag and pulled out a piece of wood. He grabbed a vial of pitch too (even in the dark Darjak knew exactly where all the ingredients were in his bag) and poured the sticky black material on the wood. He proceeded to use the flints attached to his glove and bandolier to light it.

The fire blazed to life, illuminating a rather damp a dreary cave, almost ten feet high and twenty wide. The cavern receded far into the distance in front of them, where darkness overcame the light from the torch. The whole cave was made of some kind of bluish rock, and stalagmites and stalactites pierced from the floor and ceiling.

However Darjak payed no mind to any of these features. His entire attention was riveted by the truly massive spiderwebs that crisscrossed the entire cavern starting about ten feet from them. The silk was as thick as a man's arm, and Darjak could only begin to imagine the size of the creature that had spun it. He gulped nervously and pulled out one of his bangsticks.

Tags: