Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Rained out

Started by Lady Lancelot, February 04, 2014, 07:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Lancelot

Khali was losing her mind!!

It had been raining for the past two days. The field that would've normally held the jousting was turning to a mire of mud. It smelled of wet horse, and dog and human. She wrinkled her nose at the dog smell and took a quick glance around but none were near her.

Other competitors had tried to ride in the thick swamp that the jousting lane had become but the horses were slow and couldn't run. When one knight pushed his horse too hard the animal had been unable to remove it's foot from the mud and pitched forward. Khali had watched as the knight crashed into the ground, his heavy armor pulling him slowly under while the horse screamed and thrashed.

Luckily the knight's squire was able to pull him out of the mud and the stable hands had calmed the horse. But the lesson was there, especially to the poor who couldn't afford another horse if theirs fell to a broken leg.

Sadly that wasn't the only concern. This muck and cold and damp brought hoof rot. Khali had been meticulous with Feir, making sure the horse was always warm and dry by the end of the day.

Still. She was growing impatient, there was nothing to do! She had run out Feir's energy but her own wouldn't be so easily tamed. She sighed and adjusted her not-nearly-waterproof-enough boots. Her red hair was tied back into a ponytail and her armor was left with the squire her father had "loaned" her for the trip. She felt safe enough wandering off into the nearest village to have a warm meal.

The competition wasn't until the morrow and even then... who would come to watch.... maybe she should just take Feir and get to the next town early. She chewed her lip but started for town without her horse anyway.

She kept it simple, sword at her hip and cloak thrown about her shoulders to keep off the rain. Her boots slucked in the mud, making a wet, pulling sound every step she took. The village was only a twenty minute walk and she was looking forward to.... just not being wet.

She pulled her cloak around her a little tighter and trekked down the road.

Lion

[I hope you don't mind! I'm assuming this is open.  If it's not, I can erase it!]

What was he thinking?  Travelling this far south had never been his intention, but Baeon had become accustomed to travelling wherever his feet would take him.  He needed a respite, a journey away from the tumult that possessed the land that had been his home.  Coming down to Serendipity had been tiring indeed, for him and his blood bay horse, Rohir, but he had enough coin for the trip and back and he would wander for a short time before his return.

At least his stay would keep him from returning to active duty.  Knighthood wasn't always all it was hyped up to be.  You fought under the command of your Liege Lord with your heart steeped into your oath and duties.  But if you had a change of heart...if you no longer felt yourself worthy to carry out those oaths, what choices were afforded to you then.

The weight of honor was sometimes a heavier burden to bear than it at first seemed.

The horse underneath him was a strong animal and thus far made no noise of complaint.  Rohir, though a stallion, was a good horse, patient, and intelligent, young and yet uneager to prove anything to his rider, who knew his speed and strength.  But the journey from their last point of rest had been long and they were both tired.  The sooner the found a place of rest the better.

As Rohir made his way  down the road ahead of them, Baeon spotted a figure just up ahead.  The horse did not mind the mud save for a few sticks where and there.  He slowed the horse to a walk and pulled the hood of a cloak a little away from his eyes as he approached the figure from behind.

"Hello, fellow traveler," he greeted, offering a small smile.  "I'm not familiar with these parts, but I don't suppose you'd be so kind as to point me in the direction to the nearest settlement would you?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Lady Lancelot

((Wow sorry this took me so long, I must've written it at least 3 times but my laptop keeps crashing :( Also I'm so glad you joined!))

The rain was slowing down. The thick dollops had slowly become small droplets that pattered the ground instead of crashing into it. Even so Khali's cloak was soaked through and her hair was matted together. Water coursed down her hair and dripped off the tips that stuck out the sides of her hood. Water ran down her nose and hung on the tip before trembling and falling to earth.

Overall it was a miserable day. Something about rain always seemed to bring Khali down. Maybe it was just the uncomfortable feeling of wet feet, or the shivering bone deep cold that came from being wet for so long, or maybe she just hated the rain and the muck and the cold and all of it combined just made things even worse.

She was so lost in her own thoughts that she barely even noticed the horse and rider until they were upon her. Khali tried not to show the little jump her skin made when she finally did see them. She glanced at the man, he looked older, although not old. He was build and moved powerfully even in something as simple as riding. Even though his words seemed kind his eyes almost had a no-nonsense look about them. Perhaps she was seeing this all wrong. Perhaps her being miserable she was projecting onto other people.

Khali rubbed her face to clear it of water. She smiled back. Khali's smile always seemed to reach her eyes and they held the innocence of someone who hasn't really seen the world.

"Greetings. I'm not too familiar with them either but a young man told her the nearest village was just down this road a ways." She had no way of telling how long she walked without the sun but she thought it wasn't much father to go. "I'm heading that way as well. Would you like to join me?"

Khali glanced at his horse and realized how much faster he would get there if she wasn't trudging along beside him. Inwardly she cringed and hurried to make conversation. "Are you a warrior? I mean... sorry for the presumption... you just... hold yourself like..." She trailed off. "I'm Khali."

Lion

Baeon did not mind the rain so much, in fact he almost found it comforting.  It made the earth alive, if a little soggy, and released smells of trees and soil and leaf and life.  It made him smile.  Sure he got a little soaked, but the leather of his hood repelled most of the water, save the part that was pushed back to reveal his face.  He nodded to the woman on foot at the invitation to join her and allowed Rohir to walk beside him when he dismounted.

The blood bay was a proud beast and upon looking at Khali, he turned his nose up at her, so quick to be dismissive.  Baeon caught the gesture of his mount and made a face at the horse, so haughty in his demeanor.  Rohir, in his own mind, had every reason to be proud.  He was a knight's steed and was trained to remain calm in intense situations, whether that be long journeys or blood battles.  But the look of the younger woman made him turn his head and Baeon knew Rohir wanted to be sooner into town and, even sooner, be rid of her.

Baeon settled the beast with a hand to his head piece and walked alongside him.  Though her question took him slightly off guard he shrugged it off and shook his head.  "I am a traveler," he said, after taking a moment's breath.  "I'm just passing through.  I have come from the north, you know, Connlaoth.  The tension there is too much for one man alone."

He gave an awkward laugh.  "Excuse me, where are my manners.  I am Baeon.  Baeon Wolfram.  I suppose you could say I'm on something of a vacation.  Though, it's a lovely day to be on a walk isn't it?"  He realized the irony of the statement just as rain came pouring down the side of his face and he laughed, wiping it off with a gloved hand.  "Never mind that and all.  Where have you come from?  Or do you always find yourself stranded on rainy roads?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Lady Lancelot

((Sorry this took so long))

"Oh yes, that would explain the look." She had heard of the tensions the civil war had brought to Connlaoth and knew that it was a situation that could really only be sorted out from the inside. She wasn't sure how she felt about that but the war was getting bloody and they probably wouldn't appreciate one soldier who hadn't seen many battles to get involved. She wondered if the traveller was just passing through Connlaoth or if he had tried to get involved.

"Khali," She said in return, his voice pulling her train of thought off the tracks. Khali laughed with him, reminded of her matted hair and soaked clothing. She was starting to settle into a bitter mood before Baeon had showed up. Him coming along had given her other things to focus on other than the rain and how cold she was and how wet her feet were.

"I'm from Adela, but I'm out here doing some jousting tournaments, I've even won a couple so far. Today's got postponed due to ... well," She waved down at her soaked body and the muddy road then up at the lightening sky, still raining but less. "Hopefully it dries out soon. I'm trying to get .... noticed, I suppose." And suddenly she felt a little silly telling this stranger that she hadn't been able to be apprenticed yet. "I want to be a knight." Still she puffed out her chest as she said the word and held her head up just a little higher.

"Although this is really my first time travelling. The world isn't what I expected it to be," She had remembered some of the beaten and maimed peasants that had attended one of the tournaments, abused and heavily taxed by an unfair duke. She chewed her lip, she hadn't been able to do anything to help and it still rankled her.

"Where are you from originally?"

Lion

Baeon could see now why Rohir wanted nothing to do with her, for she had the air of a young hopeful, but to the horse, all he saw was a nobody and he wanted nothing more than to leave it at that.  But Baeon saw her a little differently, despite the sopping wet clothing that hung on her.  She didn't look like a knight of course, but he saw that familiar glint in her eyes, the same look he once had in his eyes.

But his eyes were worn and haggard now.  He no longer was the young idealistic knight he once was.  In fact it was not a word he would use to describe himself even now.  At the mention of her tourneys he gave a smile and a nod.  "I'm certain you are a great jouster.  You walk as if you ride well.  Though women jousting..."  He trailed off there and sloshed alongside her in the rain.

"In my country, you would not see a woman joust, a woman ride, or a woman in armor.  I am from Connlaoth, you see.  The trouble up north is not something I want to get mixed in.  I guess, I value peace more than war, and not everyone would agree with me.  You see, a man up there fights whether he wants to or not, since all must join the army...or they're not much of a man.  A knight must serve his lord, and well...  I have no lord, nor do I belong to the army, so I'm free for a while, to roam until things simmer down.  It's all over nonsense if you ask me," he gave an awkward smile and peered up over the tree line. 

"You say the world isn't what you expected to be...  It rarely ever is."

Another awkward smile touched his lips and he gave her a sidelong glance.  "Besides, why would you want to be a knight?  Do you really think you have what it takes?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn