Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Tears and blood frozen to ice

Started by Anadwen, February 06, 2014, 10:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadwen

A couple of rocks slipped from the mountainside, rolling through the snow into a steep valley. It was only early morning, but through the dark clouds, laying upon the sky, not a single ray of sun could shift. The white snow, falling from them, was softly landing on the ground, covering the grey stone of mountains with the bright cover.

Blood marks and footprints was all that showed Thranuilas's path through the peaks of the mountains. He limped through the snow, though not falling into it too deep, but he was running out of breath. Climbing mountains wasn't his strength at all... The sharp rocks ripped his gloves and skewed into his skin, and he could hardly find the energy to pull himself up and up again. Even when he managed to climb to the highest point between two hills, he had to slide down.

He stopped to catch his breath. Almost blinded by the snow, he stared into the distance. Beneath him lay a valley, encircled by the steep slopes of mountains. He still had a long distance to crawl down, but he was at the end with his strength. His muscles were aching and the wind was blowing through his damaged clothes straight onto his skin.

Oh gods... It's so cold... How can I even get out of here? I can't keep climbing... He pressed his back to the cliff behind himself, and sled down to his knees. Pulling his legs to his chest, he coiled up in the snow, desperately trying to warm himself up.

It was useless - he was only getting colder, as the snow, melting by his body, soaked into his clothes. This land was as hostile and cruel as death itself...

His eyes closed, embracing a dream, and he fell asleep on the mountainside, half covered by the falling snow.

paganchick

Sapphira had seen this before, the weak footsteps, the tail of blood. This far north, it was rather common of runaway slaves, or runaway mages. She followed it. If the being had willed themselves that far into the mountains it wouldn't be right if she just let them die, would it?
The wind was picking up, biting and nipping at her nose and any exposed skin. She was half tempted to change into her dragon form, she wouldn't be able to feel the wind then, but soon decided against it. The more often she changed, the more likely someone who hunted dragons would spot her. She, instead she let her fire burn right beneath her skin, heating the air around her, causing any snow falling her way to turn into water.

She found that man half frozen, he didn't look to good, even if he wasn't frozen, appearing half starved to death. She leaned down, touching his face with her warm hands, seeing if there were any signs of life or if she had found him too late

Anadwen

Thranuilas opened his eyes to a tight gap, and stared at the woman, holding his face in her hands. He raised one hand, reaching after her, and his fingers gripped around her arm. He was cold and losing sense in his body, hardly managing to touch her.

"Who... Who are you?" he whispered. The touch of her warm hands sent a shiver down his spine, but it wasn't unpleasant. It was far more comfortable than the cold wind, biting his skin.

paganchick

"That isn't important at the moment, we need to get you out of this weather, don't you agree?" Sapphira spoke, helping him stand. She pulled his arm over her should, which wasn't hard, he was much taller than she.
"Come on, I'll help you walk, but we have to make it a ways to a cabin, do you think you can if I help?" She asked, as she started to help him along, not really giving him a choice. Her body hot, trying to warm him.

Anadwen

Thranuilas let her pick him up and help him walk, not really having another choice. He nodded faintly at her question, gripping the tattered cloak, hanging from his shoulders, and pulling it to himself to shield his body from the wind and snow.

"I should... I hope..." He whispered, and did what he could to help her take him out of this place. The water in his robe was freezing cold, and he almost lost all sense in his hands. But the heat from the body of the girl was like fire, warming him up enough to keep awake, and he kept walking.

paganchick

Sapphire managed to get the man in the little cabin. She waisted no time in lighting a fire so she could get  the man warm, all she needed was a dead person in her little hide out for the winter.
"Are you okay?" She asked looking over at him.
"I have some food, want some." She asked after a moment.

Anadwen

Thranuilas nodded fiercely in agreement. "Yes, please... I think I'm alright, just cold. I rolled over in the snow for a few times and the rocks scratched my hands, but otherwise I'm not hurt."

The cabin was pleasantly warm, and he was quickly returning to his sense. The water in his clothes was dropping onto the ground, and he unbuttoned the upper robe, which was only soaked, anyway.

paganchick

Sapphire brought the man a towel so he might be able to dry off some before turning to a little cabinet. She pulled out a small loaf of bread wrapped in leaves. She turned, handing it to the man, he looked like he needed to eat.
"Here, eat this, slowly," She said before putting a pot over the fire to heat up.

Anadwen

Thranuilas bit into the bread and remained silent, watching as she prepared something that smelled like wonderful food. He was no cook, but he could sure appreciate good food. The bread itself was now, when he has hardly eaten a thing for two days, like a miracle to him.

He took off the rugged grey robe, and wrapped the towel around his shoulders, covering the thinner black garb he wore underneath. It was warm inside, and his strength and senses were quickly returning to his body.

paganchick

The pot mad a whistle and she pulled it off of the fire. pouring tow cups and making some tea. She handed the man a cup.
"Here, drink, it will make you feel better," She spoke before sitting by the fire as well. It felt nice, the heat warming up her muscles, she could practically purr with enjoyment.

"So, tell me. What were you doing out there in the weather, I suggest you not lie," Sapphira spoke, crossing her arms.

Anadwen

Thranuilas aimed his gaze at the floor. "Running from a bunch of enraged mordecai and guards, to put it simply." he replied. The whole story was longer and more complicated, but he was honest - there probably still was a couple of raging men somewhere behind.

He took a sip from the tea. He didn't want to meet those fools again.

paganchick

"Why would you be in Connloathe? You are clearly and elf or fae of some sort, you had to know you would get yourself in trouble," She spoke, raising an eyebrow. Was he that young and immature that he didn't understand that there were some places better left avoided for some.

Anadwen

Thranuilas shrugged. "I have to feed myself somehow. And I'm a mercenary. I had a good job going on there, but... It went wrong. I was seen, and now they want my head." he explained her. "I was doing my best, but they surprised me."

paganchick

"Still, its Connloath, eventually all mages get caught there, there are plenty of jobs else where. I am sure as a mage you would get paid double in Connloath, you also have to be stupid," Sapphira spoke, her words a bit harsh, as if chastising a child.

Anadwen

Thranuilas sighed. "There's plenty of jobs out there, you think? My experience has been different..." he muttered.

He pulled his knees to his chest and dropped his head on them sideways, avoiding Sapphira's glance. He didn't want to talk about those things - not only now, he never wanted to talk about them at all.

paganchick

"You must not be very good at what you do then, I never have a problem finding jobs, maybe I am just old enough to know where to look, and knowing that sometimes the easiest path isn't the best," She replied before taking a sip of her tea.

Anadwen

Thranuilas looked away, covering his head with his arms. "How can you be so sure? Are you aware of all aspects of reality to speak of it so confidently?"

He wasn't as young as he appeared, and she spoke too lightly of things that were far more complicated than they seemed.

paganchick

"I know enough, your an elf, so you are probably about five-hundred years old give or take a few decades, which makes me a thousand years older than you," Sapphire spoke, giving the elf a hard glance.

"Of course I know I age well, it's all to do with what I am, just think if I were human I would have long been dust," she spoke, her gaze wondering off.

Anadwen

"Age means nothing." His glance suddenly appeared hard and cold. "What if I told you that it gives you no right to judge someone? You may be older, and you may know more, but I doubt you know all the circumstances which brought me here. And if you think you do, then speak up. I'm not being ungrateful, but it's beyond offensive to pass judgments on that of which you know naught."

paganchick

Sapphire clicked her tongue at him disapprovingly.
"Your immaturity shows child," she spoke before taking a sip of tea. She wasn't going to argue, but she had long since earned her right and ability to judge accurately. After you had lived as long as she there was never anything new, the same people with new faces and names.