Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Welcome to Fort Dhagh

Started by visualspice, February 24, 2014, 01:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nascent

As the hush from her entrance degenerated back into assorted and sundry chatter Kasna gave Serenus a grateful nod. "Thank you General -- I appreciate all your hospitality."

With an efficiency of motion she made her way across the room to where many of the soldiers' weapons were hung up, hesitating only a moment before unbinding her chain flail. The Adhara's weaponry stood out from the rest; in some ways they were more use-worn, particularly the handle-grips, but in others they almost shone due to Kasna's careful maintenance. The sword, in particular, dripped with tiny beads of moisture as snowflakes that had clung to it melted -- she quickly and thoroughly wiped them off with one of the dryer edges of her traveling cloak and left it to dry in the warm room. A rusty weapon would not do.

Thus unobstructed, the White Lily availed herself of a bowl of stew and a nice crusty wedge of bread still somewhat oven-warm. It was simple, hearty fare -- exactly what she preferred and certain to warm and satisfy the hunger that had been needling her for much of her journey. Dry rations were usually sufficient but even a spartan pragmatist like Kasna appreciated the benefits of a well-cooked meal.

Of course, as she looked about for somewhere to sit it was difficult not to overhear the soldiers. She thought at first that much of the chatter was simply about her -- and she wasn't sure how she felt about that -- but a part of her began to suspect otherwise as a few choice soundbites reached her ears. The womanly knight brushed her curiosity aside; if there was another of her Order here, surely the General would mention it. She had more immediate concerns... there were no empty tables.

A mostly empty one would have to do.

Walking over to Nasin's table, the White Lily nodded her head to him before sitting down, laying her cloak aside. "Kasna Vel Telshear, of the Order of the Knights of the White Lily. Your name, soldier?"

Alegretto

Nasin was busy consuming his meal when the the sound of approaching heavily armored boots reached his ears. He looked up from his stew, and he was greeted by the sight of the armored women who had entered the room earlier.

She introduced herself, and her title elicited a look of surprise from the conscript. She was a knight? A noble? Actually though, he rationalized, it made sense. She did have a sort of regal air about her. But what was she doing here?

When she asked for an introduction, Nasin turned around to look behind him, and then to both sides of him, but he couldn't see anyone else she might be talking to. Did she want his name? Why would he want his name? He wondered that for quite a while, considering the consequences if he was wrong. What if she wasn't asking him? What he made an arse of himself? Everyone in the fort seemed to hate him already.

He was occupied with these insecurities for some moments, but he eventually came to a conclusion. Better to intoruce himself now and avoid being rude, even if she hadn't been talking to him.

Course of action resolved, Nasin stood quickly, bringing his hand up in a salute. On the way up though, he banged his hip against the side of the table painfully, and with a rather audible thunk. Nasin winced, both in pain and embarrassment, but he ignored it and went on to give his introduction: "Nasin Cerea, ma'am. I'm honored to meet'cha" he tried to keep his drawl as restrained as possible, but some of it still came through.

Nascent

Kasna raised an eyebrow at Nasin's reaction to her. Were all the fort's soldiers this... excitable? He looked comically nervous, especially when he hurt himself in the attempt to stand up and salute.

She pointed at his bowl with her spoon. "For Ansgar's sake, soldier, just sit and eat. I don't like people fussing over me like I'm some kind of Dutchess."She sighed audibly. "I was merely making introductions, Nasin. I'm a warrior, effectively a soldier like yourself. At ease."

Kasna proceeded to eat in silence for a while, merely enjoying the stew. When she stopped to tear off a piece of bread and dip it the knight looked back at the conscript. "You're from this area I'm guessing, Nasin Cerea? My duties seldom bring me this far north -- I'm unfamiliar with the land."

Alegretto

Nasin held his salute until Kasna gave the "at ease" command. At those words, the conscript dropped his arm and sat back down at the table, taking care this time to avoid any mishap doing so. He'd had just about enough of embarrassing himself for one night.

He stared for a moment as she began eating, and the looked away with a start. He'd been told many times since leaving the countryside that it was rude to stare. Apparently the boy had a tendency to do so. It's not that he was really looking, he was just lost in thought. He sighed internally. Back in the boondocks he never had to worry about what he was staring at when he lapsed into deep consideration. Life in the world outside his little village was so complicated. He began eating as well, to take his mind off the awkward interactions he'd committed so far through the night.

The pair had been sitting in silence for some time, and Nasin was just beginning to get used to her presence when she asker her question. "Yes ma'am, I'm from Cerea."he responded.

He was going to let that be the end of his statement, but then he realized that a knight like Kasna would have no idea what Cerea was. "It's a tiny village here in Ajhfeld. Cerea is, tha's wha I mean."

His own awkward turn of phrase and drawl made Nasin wince, and he spoke more to cover up his poor language. Of course, he only dug his hole deeper. "That's where my name comes from. Cerea. Ya know, my family don't have no surname or nothin' so we just call ourselves Cerea when we're outside the vilage, cause that's where were from, ya know?"

He realized that he really wasn't helping his case by going on, and he lapsed into an uncomfortable silence.

visualspice

Kasna's presence in the table behind his was causing a slight stir as Killian chanced a glance her way before spotting General Serenus and dropping his bread in his soup. The General, who was on his way to procure some food of his own (as he always ate in a hurry, anyway, never finding much time to sit among his men- though he preferred the quiet of his own room over the mess hall anyway).

But catching Killian's gaze, the General chuckled as he paused at the soldier's side.
"Still as nervous as ever, Killian." He chuckled again and gave the young soldier a pat on his shoulder.  "Be at ease soldier, she's just a White Lily." And to Mordered he smiled and nodded, inquiring to him, "Any news to report?"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Anadwen

Mordred shook his head, putting the spoon down, and saluting the general - somewhat lazily, but formally enough to avoid being scolded. "No news to be reported. The mages are obviously not satisfied, and will shout curses when you pass by, but otherwise nothing but wind and snow. Same as yesterday." he announced, and didn't continue eating before the general would confirm that the information was sufficient.

Nascent

"Yes, I understand." Kasna wasn't quite sure what to make of her dinner partner. He was a soldier... but he had the disposition she would expect of a farm hand or brick layer. Probably a conscript, then -- the struggle with the magic-tained was taking all types into the Grand Duke's service after all, not just professional sword-hands. She briefly considered reminding him to relax... but decided against it. She couldn't order him not to be nervous and trying would only make it worse. So she ate, setting to work on the bread now and using it to sop up the remainder of her soup.

He really did seem out of sorts, almost at odds with himself. Probably a raw, green recruit. Perhaps the General would let her lead some of the men in training exercises later, should the storm force her to stay.

"What can you tell me of the lands around this fort, soldier?" She inquired after the first pertinent topic that came to mind. Whether she was heading out tomorrow or a week hence she would need to have a better idea of the terrain, as her road from prior assignments to the one she'd just completed, and now to here, had been a long and obtuse one. Perhaps he would be able to give her some insights to make the journey to Reajh a bit more direct.

Alegretto

Nasin had returned to his meal after his failed attempt at reasonable conversation, but he looked up from it when Kasna began speaking again. He listened intently, and then his eyes lost focus as he began thinking up a response.

It took some time, Nasin was a deliberate usually a very deliberate thinker, but he eventually came back to her, answering as best and as thoroughly as he could. "Well the hills directly behind the fort is pretty steep. Some soldiers tried ta see how far into the hills they could hike, but they didn't get too far. Around the main gate area is pretty open I guess. I mean, it's not a huge field or anything, but it's not as hilly as the stuff further away from it either, I think. Heck though, you probably saw most of this stuff on the road in!"

He paused for a moment, to collect himself, and then he continued. "Um, let's see, what else? I guess there's a river that comes outta the hills a few miles west o' here. Never seen it myself, but some of the fella's were talking about how crapp..." he paused, face coloring slightly. Crappy was not really a word to use with a lady, especially not a noble one.

He coughed in an attempt to cover his falter, though it came too late to do any real service in that regard. "What I mean's to say is how poor the fishin' is out there on that river. Now the other way there's a forest a few miles away, but I dunno how big it is. I've only ever seen the front trees while on patrol." He paused again for a moment, "And I think that's about it. I mean, a lot of Aihjfeld's just hilly in general, so you can kinda go offa that I suppose. Was that what you wanted to know, ma'am?"

Nascent

"Yes, quite. Thank you."

Nasin had actually answered more of Kasna's questions than he'd realized. The moment she saw those unfinished fortress walls she had wondered why, of all directions, it seemed those facing the front of the fortress had yet to be completed. General Serenus was clearly a man of sound tactical sense, sounder she imagined than most of the soldiers realized. A fool would look upon the fort's stonework progression and see only the forward vulnerability... but with an understanding of the land the picture took on a different twist. With hills behind and flatland ahead the General had been quite prudent to fortify the fort's rear walls first. Should anyone want to launch an attack, especially one to free the incarcerated magi, those hills were a golden opportunity to approach unseen and then withdraw out of sight -- an advantage that dissidents could not be allowed to have.

By contrast the front of the fortress looked out upon even ground. Any force, no matter how small, would be hard pressed to remain unseen after breaking the tree line, meaning a defense could be mustered. And the fortress' flanks, with the river and forest respectively, had been almost completely fortified as well, denying almost any attacker the chance to approach through subtlety and guile. It was not without flaws but it was a sound stratagem. The White Lily's respect for the fort's leader was now significantly improved.

And then the White Lily's thoughts turned from foes outside the fort... to those within. She swirled a crusty bread chunk in what remained of the broth as she gave Nasin a dead-cold look and, politely, inquired "And the mage prisoners... how fare things with them?"

Alegretto

Nasin looked at her with surprise on his face. It's not that the question shocked him, just that she thought that he'd be watching the mage at all. "I never patrol the mage camps, ma'am. I mean, those jobs usually go to the more experienced soldiers. You know, those mages can be pretty tricky. I mean, that's why they're locked away in the first place, right?"

He shook his head a little bit, to clear it of the thoughts that sometimes crept up on him. The mages had to be evil, or they wouldn't be locked up like prisoners. Of course innocent mages wouldn't be imprisoned here, that wasn't Angsar's will. Of course not. Nasin was sure that the mages locked away here were all bad people.

He thought a bit more to see if there was anything he could add to his answer. He realized there was something, and he tacked on, "Oh, well I guess there's one thing I've heard, mind you it's just a rumor. Apparently there's a special prisoner in the Stone Tower. I've heard some folks talking about it before, though I don't really remember where." He shrugged. "That's about all I got. Sorry I can't tell you more, ma'am."

Nasin was becoming more and more comfortable in the presence of this odd woman. He liked how she didn't judge him, and how she didn't seem to show any impatience at his long silences while he planned out his responses.

Nascent

A special prisoner... that explained a few things, certainly. It was the most logical use for the Stone Tower other than as a lookout and most certainly fit with Nasin's rumored story. But who would be the prisoner, she wondered? And could it have anything to do with the mens' whispers of another White Lily...?

Speculation, however, would get her nowhere. If it became relevant she would make inquiries with the General; if it did not, then it was just as well. Despite wishing to be alert and well-informed Kasna was no gossip-monger -- she knew her purpose and her duties and tried not to stray far from them.

"That's fine. You've actually been quite informative." She finished up what was left of her food, performed a quick prayer of gratitude, and rose from the table with a nod towards the conscript. "My thanks, Nasin Cerea. If my stay here is prolonged then perhaps we'll meet again. May all go well for you, soldier."

Alegretto

Nasin watched dully for a moment as she stood up to go, before quickly realizing that it would be rude to not stand up as well. He rose quickly, repeating his earlier blunder and banging his hip on the edge of the table. In the exact same place.

He winced, but he ground his teeth and spoke through the throbbing pain. "It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance ma'am. May all go well for you as well." he returned the good-bye. "I would be honorered [sic] to meet you again, if the opportunity comes up."

He stood tall, and would only sit back down and resume his meal when she left. It would be rude to do otherwise, and a Cerea was never rude. Especially not to a lady. At least, he ruefully recalled his earlier language, not on purpose.

visualspice

The General nodded to Mordred and Killian when both reported things were as usual.
"Good," he said with a chuckle through his teeth. "That's always good to hear!" And he excused himself with a bow, as usual, he ate by himself, and moved to disappear down the hall towards his study. It had been a long day, but most days here were long- and with the cold and snow creeping upon them- he sighed when news was reported fresh snow was falling, and fast.

He gestured to the soldier who had reported this.
"Then carry on the word that those soldiers on foot patrol to have their secondaries keep the paths cleared and shoveled. I want to be sure we are able to always navigate the fort with swiftness."

The man shot a hand to his forehead in salute.
"Yes, General Serenus." And he moved away from him to carry out his orders, all the while Serenus returned to his own room, eating a cold bowl of soup.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Nascent

Her meal and conversation with Nasin thusly completed, Kasna retrieved her weapons. The General had just departed with his evening fare and, as Kasna recalled, he'd offered to show her to her accommodations after wrapping up some paperwork. The drudgeries of command... she didn't envy him that. Kasna bristled at the very thought of being stuck behind a desk for any length of time signing forms and drafting official documents. How any warrior could stomach that kind of tedium on a regular basis, playing the games of base politicians and bureaucratic demagogues just to keep a command in order, was beyond her. She mused grimly that she'd much rather fall on her sword than die buried in paper and ink. But Serenus had his burden to bear, she supposed, and now Kasna found herself with something she so seldom had any of.

Free time.

For a moment she was indecisive. She could train, but first she'd need to know where the fort's training grounds were. She could rest, but had yet to be given a room. She had already eaten and had no desire to glut herself on food rationed out to good soldiers of the Grand Duke. Which left one logical choice, really.

She turned back to Nasin.

"On second consideration..." She approached his table again, mindful of herself. "If you're amicable -- and this is not an order, merely a request -- then perhaps you might do me a service, Nasin Cerea."

She paused to fashion her cloak about her, securing it but leaving the hood down. "It seems the General has other duties at the moment and I am... somewhat directionless at the moment. If you have no other duties pressing, may I request a tour of the fort? Simply to satisfy my curiosity, you understand."

Alegretto

When Kasna finally departed, Nasin turned back to his meal. He was almost done, but a lifetime on the farm had taught him to fully appreciate all food put in front of him.

He finished off his last piece of bread and was about to drain the rest of his soup by lifting the bowl to drink it out. However he stopped midway  when he saw the White Lily out of the corner of his eye. She had returned to the table, and at the sight of her the conscript set his bowl down sheepishly.

He listened to her words, and though she said that she "requested" his assistance, he hopped to obey. Back on the farm, anytime his mother or sisters "requested" him to do something, he made sure to do it faster than when they told him to!

"I'd be happy to give ya a look around, ma'am." he stood up quickly. "I'm off duty for a few hours so it's no problem or nothin."

He stood there awkwardly for a few moments, waiting for her to take the lead, before he realized that he was the one who would lead. "If you'll follow me ma'am." he began walking towards the door. "Is there anythin' you'd like to see in particular or do ya want to see everythin'?"

Anadwen

Mordred stretched his arms, pushing the empty bowl away. He's finished his dinner, and it was time for another patrol... Only then, he was allowed to sleep. A high position, unfortunately, also mean a lot of responsibilities.

He gave Killian an inviting glance. "I'm off for another walk around the walls. What about you? Did they send you out in this snowstorm, too?" he asked casually.

visualspice

Killian gave an unfortunate nod.
"Yes, one of the men fell ill, so I took on a double shift." Rising from the table, he nodded towards him. "Shall we go together? I'm stationed for half the night at the front gates, then at the Stable Towers until my relief comes in the morning."

Anadwen

"I suppose so. Strange, I got the same places..." Mordred nodded, and stood up, shaking the long melted snow off the fur on his shoulders.

Quite frankly, he hated patrolling. Especially in this cold weather, it was a torture - snow was everywhere, and where it normally wouldn't get, it was blown by the wind.

visualspice

"Ah, so we'll be positioned together then? Well, I suppose we ought to get going. I know the shifts begins soon and those we're relieving will want to come here to enjoy a nice warm meal." And with a nod, Killian made his way out from the dining hall and made his way outside of the stone keep and flinched at the strong winds that were gusting across them from the west.

"Seems like another bitter cold night," Killian said, his white puffs of breath being carried away by the winds. "Maybe if we walk swiftly, we won't have to put up with these winds for too long. I know the Front Gates at least offer some protection from the elements, so the winds won't be as bad there. Come on!"

Leading the duo down the main, path, his boots crunched and pushed through the heavy snow. It had snowed so muhc the night before, there was at least three feet already on the ground. And as the pair were making their way towards the Front Gates, the snow picked up again, and by the time the two were positioned, the snow that was coming down was nearly blinding.

"Well, looks like there might not be much to see tonight. I guess if we ever get bored we could count snowflakes," the soldier jested, trying to lighten the mood.

Anadwen

Mordred laughed - it was a deep, roaring laughter, completely appropriate for his strong figure. The long, thick fur on his shoulders shook as he laughed. "I guess we could." he replied with a grin.

"I was lucky to bring something thicker than armour with me. Next time, I'm definitely not leaving the inside without a cape." he mused, picking up the hood of his cloak, and pulling it over his head, where it hid his face.

"You should get one, too." he nodded towards Killian."